• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
what sucks vs pichu is it's so hard to hit him and it kills combos when pichu DDs he is lower and even harder to hit and pichu has the best tech in spot in the game not even joking. pichu has no bad stages and his best way to approach falcon is upair due to extra range and sets up combos and grabs I I think it's fairly even but falcon has the edge due to the knee.

oh yeah you won't be edge gaurding him if he is decent fair beats the knee, his B stops you from just standing there waiting to get him and his up-B is tricky the best advice is to watch for a pattern and throw out a random attack

Hey what's the best way to teach a young falcon to combo? I mostly play as ice climbers any more because he johns so much when I play as pichu or puff. If he can combo he may feel better not that he doesn't get any combos it's just only one or 2 a set.

R.I.Y.P.

Smash Cadet
What are some good ways to get around a fox aproaching with nair and bair? Sometimes when I go for a nair of my own or something, he utilt ***** me. Any advice?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
It's not good to approach Fox. He will just outprioritize you in every way.

Just dash dance until he nairs. Then you punish.

The way you do this is by running back and forth constantly and waiting. As soon as you see Fox running towards you, stop your dash dance at the end of the running away animation. He will short hop and land roughly where you are or next to you. Just run a little farther away if the nair would hit you. Then turn around and grab him.

Also, randomly side b whenever Fox is in the air about to land. This is the best chance to hit him with it when not tech chasing.

Scar

#HarveyDent
When you play smart, utilt isn't the impenetrable wall I used to think it was. Focus on better spacing and not chasing fox too much and you'll get around it.

Fox's nair/bair beats your moveset, so get over it immediately. Spaced nairs will beat it but you're far more likely to trade, which sucks. A very fast uair wins too but it's hard to do. Pretty much the way you play the game is you hope fox overextends with a nair so you can run away and bair/dair him, or space yourself properly and capitalize on his landing lag or shine. Easier said than done, watch vids for ideas though.

Azen's falcon vs chudat is the most plat-camp heavy falcon set to date, but I also do quite a bit of it in recent vids.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I was going to say bait them into attacking then run away->bair, but scar beat me to it.

How do you usually set up the run away->dair?

R.I.Y.P.

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the advice, I guess I just need to be more patient.

@ NES n00b:
I live in middle Tennessee, close to Madison.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Depends on spacing with marth, for falco shield pressure, angle your shield up to possibly throw off his dair, giving you a free shield grab, roll away, if they fluke a short hop and full hop you could try to trade an uair with his dair. Against fox, you pretty much have to run away.

Always keep an eye out for when they mess up the pressure though, a lot of people can't consistently break a shield, don't rely on shield grabbing a spacie though it'll only end in disaster.

erm, back to marth. On a whiffed down tilt i'd just roll back since they can't really punish that, not certain about a tipped fsmash but wavedash outta shield into a jab might work.

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
the tipper or shield presure on the shield will sometimes throw u away so that u cant like knee or nair or w.e out of shield and hit, wat i do is just shield d.i the hit so i move closer then if still to far wave dash oos and grab, or just shield d.i and roll so i can gtfo of there

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I like to think of options in this game like this:

if player1 does X and player2 does Y; results in player1 win, player1 lose or players go even.

If marth spaces correctly, the best you can do is go even. If you grab or jump, you will most likely be hit with a tipped fair or some other spaced move. You should wait until an attack hits your shield then WD out (wd forward to punish if its a fsmash, otherwise backwards into neutral position)

Of course if marth messes up his spacing and you can grab him, do so. If he hits your shield with a laggy move and it isn't spaced, go ahead and sh out and knee him. Just don't get in the habit of relying on these mistakes in order to get your hits in.

R.I.Y.P.

Smash Cadet
Alright thanks for the input since I wasn't sure if sh knee would hit because of the knockback that fsmash usually has. I'll try mixing it up, seems like wd oos is a pretty good option and using shield di to help space for grabs or whatever.

D

Deleted member

hey

how do you do a getup attack after a jab reset?

can i mash attack to do it and/or do i have to be really precise?

having this option would make shiek tech chasing not as horrible although still kinda bad

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
hold up when someone jabs u then u dont need to getup attack cuz it'll pop u into the air, then nair or jump away or etc, this gets rid of that tech chase option for shiek, scar posted about it round 2 weeks ago so like go threw the last 15pages and u'll find a bunch of posts on it

Scar

#HarveyDent
@s2jgattsu, vs sheik you can't force any getups besides in place from being jab resetted until 41%, then it seems to me like you force a roll if you hold a direction and you'd getup attack if you held the attack button

holding up doesn't seem to work below 41% either, the only thing that seems to work reliably is smash DI in any direction, which pops you up and avoids a getup animation. this obviously can be punished but the punishment hopefully is not another grab, so whatever you take should be better than the tech chase

@dippndots, i think that just rolling away is correct vs FALCO not fox, trading uair vs falco's dair is a bad idea at best, and he can break your shield much more reliably, especially considering the technical skill of falcos nowadays. fox shield pressure you are better off riding out, if you roll he can run and nair you and still catch up to you since his horizontal speed is incredible, unlike falcos

@sveet you're talking about marth tipping a fair against your shield? then yeah you pretty much have no aggressive options. if you shield an fsmash your best option is to knee him though, don't forget that.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
the only thing that seems to work reliably is smash DI in any direction, which pops you up and avoids a getup animation.
You sure that it's any direction?

False, even with DI and ASDI straight up your SDI needs to be ~30° above horizontal if you were grabbed at 0%. Even a SDI straight up isn't enough if you AS/DI improperly. There are many parts of the rotation where if caught in won't get you the A/S/DI you need to get out at very low damage. Simply suggesting to 'miss the tech, and rotate the stick' is subpar advice. You'd be better off timing the rotation upward right after you hit the ground, and even then a couple frames delay on the jab can mess this up. Also, if you're going to rotate the stick to do it you should at least be holding up on the c-stick to get the ASDI part correct, which is pretty important.

Top Bottom