• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Ryzol_

Smash Apprentice
Greenville, SC (school) Charlotte, NC(break)
I've actually worked out some percents. Keep in mind these numbers are POST HIT, so depending on how stale your dair is the PRE hit percents will be different. I am not 100% sure all of these combo, and they are with no DI.

nipple spikes

fox:
dair -> sh dair 77%

marth:
dair -> sh dair 55%
dair -> fj dair 76%

sheik:
dair -> sh dair 59%
dair -> fj dair 79%

jiggs:
dair -> sh dair 40%
dair -> fj dair 52%
uthrow 46% -> fj dair #doesn't combo

ganon:
dair -> sh dair 68%
dair -> fj dair 83%
uthrow 101% -> fj dair

g-regulate

Smash Hero
more like, he took over the legendary white EC falcon while i was playing brawl. good falcons like him have respect

last time i checked you're still like, really really bad

but lets not get too srs

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
haha i would go even with you in falcon dittos, maybe a little less, maybe a little more. im not bad at all really

brawl scrub

;]

Infinitora

Smash Journeyman
Good **** Ryzol, I've been practicing more on puff, falcon and fox lately, I haven't been playing it so much by percentages as just "feeling" it I suppose. I'll try to see about percentages in the future.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
the pain that i would inflict on you guys would be indescribable. future generations of PC Jona's would feel it.

Also, even while playing brawl, i've been to more melee tournaments in that time than you have. fact

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
id be under jonas wing, have you seen his dropzo....oh wait thats me.

nevermind, jona you suck.

LOLOL, sorry i love you all, more shout-out matches uploaded tonight/tomorrow

otg

Smash Master
The only people jona has under his wing are his lil cousins.... lil diapers running around all day. Jona even succesfully trolls me on the boards, and that kid is my homie irl. He's nothing like he is on the boards (he's also pretty good at the game despite what his combo video might have lead you to believe).

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
So I've recently decided to go from Fox/Falcon in tournament to being a dedicated Falcon main ... and I'm wondering, how much techchasing can you do on reaction, and how much do you have to guess?

A while ago I played Hax in tournament, it seemed like he could knee off reaction on Dthrow -> missed tech. Is that possible on all 3 fastfallers (Fox, Falco, Falcon)?

Is it possible to cover all 3 tech options (away, toward, in place) using dash dance grabs? I can never seem to cover the tech in place option with anything other than a stomp / knee by guessing a tech in place.

What I usually try to do is run towards them to be in dash dancing range of the tech towards and tech away, but that usually puts me in an awkward position for the tech in place ... but if I don't run, they tech away and they're too far for me to do anything.

Can you cover both the missed tech and tech in place with a knee / stomp?

Other than those specific questions, do Falcon mains out there have any general techchasing tips? Space animal spacing I don't really understand yet, but I assume that'll come when I get more experience in the matchups ¬.¬

D

Deleted member

you can do dash dance for tech in place but you have to do a funky one

as soon as you down throw you dash towards them and at the very end of the initial dash you do a very quick single dash dance and if they tech in place you are in position for a grab. If they tech away you will also get a grab. It sorta sucks if they tech into you though unless you are playing completely on point.

Against Falcon it's a free grab no matter what they do unless they don't tech in place

---

Regular fox trot towards them after down-throw covers tech away and tech towards perfectly against fox but sucks if they DI down-throw away and tech, it gives them a chance to get away. Fox-trot in my opinion is useful because if they don't tech in place you can simply stand at their body and wait for them to do something. 75% of the time it will be a roll away roll towards or regular get-up which gets you a free grab.

---

Wave dash in is similar in that it only guarantees wavedash in and away unless you go DIRECTLY for a tech in place grab. You need either godlike reaction speeds or just a blatant grab guess at tech in place

---

knee/stomp covers both tech and tech in place but a small problem is for spacies if they DI down-throw away and tech/don't tech and quickly react with either up-tilt/shine/ get-upattack. It makes knee harder to connect so you gotta be kinda fast or use stomp

---

You can also do the Jeff wait, where after a down-throw he kinda sits and then runs at them at the exact right moment to catch a tech in place or a tech away.

Another Jeff trick is to up-throw them at mid percent and stand still. A lot of both good and bad spacies are tricked into teching in place since they think they can get away because you are standing still and thats when you come in with a knee / stomp

see silentspectre vs any notable spacey and you'll see him do this a lot and succeed

--

Most of the time you can follow up a grab with another grab or w/e but the edges are what kills them. An opponent who gets down-thrown can "edge-cancel" the edge and grab the edge, freeing them from a tech-chase. Sometimes you have to commit with knee or stomp or up-throw onto a platform or something.

PREDICTION is key. most players refuse to believe it but 99% of players have a tech habit's that can be exploited. Even if you have a small semi-read you can use it to your advantage by side-b ing to cover tech in place and one direction. Does your opponent like to play tricky and tech towards the edge even though its extremely unsafe or does he want to be safer and tech towards the center, taking a hit but living? Does your opponent tech in place like a fuken idiot 80% of the time?

Dropzones suck now but they **** against n00bs who don't DI away. You can however react quickly enough after a d-throw and knee accordingly if you don't see them DI away. I like to use up-air at mid-high percents since that usually is good enough to *** them up

Kite91

Mada Mada Dane
Thought id start posting in diff threads

Apex is only a few months away guys, May 30th is the last day to register before the price is raised, so come on and register. Right now only about 17 ppl have registered. http://apex.vgbootcamp.com/
Im trying to help out Strife by doing this.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
thank you s2j

i'm sick of people saying way too often that you should try to never predict and to always react in smash

sure you might miss, but if you get the knee when they tech away its all worth it

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
Jona is like, the perfect troll. No matter how stupid he sounds, everyone still takes him seriously and argues with him :laugh:

He's so pro
g-reg get *****

im by far the 2nd best troll to have ever existed on smashboards

the only one above me is lol master

he was a true genious of the art

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
better then lol master? hell no

vbm was ok but he was way to obvious, that = bad troll

plus faab ruined it saying that it was actually him when i really doubt it. i mean we still dont know but who cares

vbm was balls anyways

$mike

Smash Ace
A while ago I played Hax in tournament, it seemed like he could knee off reaction on Dthrow -> missed tech. Is that possible on all 3 fastfallers (Fox, Falco, Falcon)?

Is it possible to cover all 3 tech options (away, toward, in place) using dash dance grabs? I can never seem to cover the tech in place option with anything other than a stomp / knee by guessing a tech in place.
s2j's post covers basically everything, but i just wanted to say that i think it's possible to regrab/react to a tech in place or a missed tech. i'm starting to be able to do it, and i've seen SS do it a few times. it's difficult, but once you start playing falcon a lot and your reaction skills are beast you'll realize it's very possible

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
5150 was a level of troll above all others

if you wanna check out some of his posts, too bad. the mods deleted everything he ever did

he also managed, at an earlier point, to get his perma-banned account unbanned, only to wreak so much havoc they undid all of his posts ever

he was that good

j00t

Smash Champion
5150 was that Bowser player that was always trying to convince others that he was better than Gimpyfish.

He used to have a match on youtube of him playing Giga Bowser vs. g-reg's Falcon. I can't find it now though :/

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
5150 was a level of troll above all others

if you wanna check out some of his posts, too bad. the mods deleted everything he ever did

he also managed, at an earlier point, to get his perma-banned account unbanned, only to wreak so much havoc they undid all of his posts ever

he was that good
omg yea i remember him lmao

his video on youtube is still up haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT94NWzXVX0

i forgot about him...dude was nuts tho lol

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Thank you joints for the informative post :bee:
I guess I'll just have to play more to practice regrabbing after Dthrow ... right now I normally just guess a stomp and see what happens ¬.¬

legion598

Smash Ace
i realized recently that u can stomp failed techs on reaction and it just happens to be the right timing for popping them in the air instead of smacking them into the ground. It seems that as soon as u see the green impact of the failed tech if u fly at them with a Dair ASAP it will pop them in the air. It kind of seems like they can get up attack before it connects tho not sure about that tho. if ur not feeling quick enough tho u can predict the failed tech but use the green impact as sort of a cue to go for the Dair the Dair has to be extremely fast for this however.

^@ oro definately doin that. this should be a falcon retirement ritual

D

Deleted member

in theory you can get spacies who tech in place but it's much harder if they down and away and they tech

Top Bottom