• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sheik Video & Video Critique Thread

stealth3654

Smash Lord
If you notice where Peach is floating, it is high enough for a tipper DACUS! :)

I only watched half of the first video, then stopped after seeing so many rolls. I use to be notorious for my habit of rolling and spot dodging when it was completely unnecessary. For example: at 0:58 - 1:01, you took 30% damage since you spot dodged instead of shield her attack then reacting accoringly. Now, I am using Sheiks mobility to dodge/counter moves and it has shown a major improvement in my game.

One more thing, even though rolling is bad, rolling away is safe and it resets the positions of you and your opponent. This is especially useful if you feel that the opponent is overwhelming you or you feel unsafe at the distance you are at.

Edit: Here is a video to show you an example of what rolling and spot dodging can do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhR-_UAD3XE. I'm still trying to break the habit of spot dodging and rolling so much during the time of the video, so you will see me do it a little. At 0:38-0:41, Luigi was just waiting for me to roll. If I did, I would have eaten a Fsmash in the face ( which would have killed me). This is not the best example, but at 0:43, I rolled away and semi reset the positions but the stage was in my way. Luckily, I was able to take advantage of this :). At 1:58, I accidentally spot dodged, and was rewarded with a mighty Fsmash to the head.

I hope this helps ;).

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Oh come on, the tier list just shows the likelihood of one character to win, just by tournament results!It does not change the matchups entirely. Skill and strategy overrule tier lists much more. Here is a video of what I am talking about. This is all just my opinion and I feel it's true at times.
Skill > Tiers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iRSVfID6kE
Ankoku is the poster child for skill. XD Good ****.

On topic: I'll actually look at one of your new vids (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOk2mprLBeA&feature=channel_page), Ankoku. though you're better than me so my advice may not help at all. =/

• Lets see.... I would suggest taking dsmash out of your game at lower percents and replace it with ftilt, which you should have used more anyway. Unless you are dsmashing to give yourself time to transform save it for later.
  • DDD's meta may have changed since the last time I checked (lol it hasn't and never will) but generally if your are in a situation where DDD's spotdodging in front of you trying to grab you don't try to grab him cuz he tends to win, but try jab to punish the spotdodges.
  • You don't always have to run so walk a little more often to help your spacing out.
  • Don't rapid jab. >.> You just get punished.
  • I personally prefer nair out of ftilt locks at percents where utilt stops hitting.
  • Against DDD I would edgeguard with fair over bair since his fair comes out a bit slow so you can safely fair.
  • Don't wait for death to switch to zelda. You had plenty of chances to switch for an early kill. You could have transformed on the moving platform or simply run to the other side and transform after you knocked DDD off instead of charging needles or attempting to edgeguard.
  • lol ftilt -> fair is not as reliable as ftilt to nair or uair, but it looks sexy if it ever hits so keep doing it. =P

Main points: I like your agressive style, but seriously walk more. Its much better for spacing than dodging (I need to follow that advice). Learn how to use Zelda >.> as in how to switch into her and most importantly how to actually play as her.

Lastly and most important of all: DACUS more. =P

Hope that helped. =)

Edit: I always for get the part where I say what you did well so that said: your grab game is da ****.

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
stop rolling so much, take advantage of sheik's mobility
why do you always charge needles at a start of a stock? furthermore charging after invincibility + rolling around = ???
chain jacket nice LOL
peach a b-sticker? i saw a free pull off the edge there...
hmm not abusing ftilt enough, nor are you using quite enough nair. camp the platform more! peach has to approach you on there unless it rolls by her...in which you will prolly have needles =)

this is just what i saw in first vid
If you notice where Peach is floating, it is high enough for a tipper DACUS! :)

I only watched half of the first video, then stopped after seeing so many rolls. I use to be notorious for my habit of rolling and spot dodging when it was completely unnecessary. For example: at 0:58 - 1:01, you took 30% damage since you spot dodged instead of shield her attack then reacting accoringly. Now, I am using Sheiks mobility to dodge/counter moves and it has shown a major improvement in my game.

One more thing, even though rolling is bad, rolling away is safe and it resets the positions of you and your opponent. This is especially useful if you feel that the opponent is overwhelming you or you feel unsafe at the distance you are at.

Edit: Here is a video to show you an example of what rolling and spot dodging can do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhR-_UAD3XE. I'm still trying to break the habit of spot dodging and rolling so much during the time of the video, so you will see me do it a little. At 0:38-0:41, Luigi was just waiting for me to roll. If I did, I would have eaten a Fsmash in the face ( which would have killed me). This is not the best example, but at 0:43, I rolled away and semi reset the positions but the stage was in my way. Luckily, I was able to take advantage of this :). At 1:58, I accidentally spot dodged, and was rewarded with a mighty Fsmash to the head.

I hope this helps ;).
Thanks guys. I appreciate the suggestions. I have a bad habit of spot dodging alot cuz I usually play against people where getting grabbed = bad.

I don't suppose anybody would be willing to offer any other suggestions on the other videos? Maybe the lucario one if nothing else? I'm gearing up to play these same people again, and I'd uber appreciate it if more help were given. Gotta represent Sheik as good as I can, ya know?

Villi

Smash Lord
I wouldn't **** around damage racking Lucario. No matter how hard he tries to camp me and keep me out, my number 1 priority is to keep ftilt decayed enough to kill him by 87% and to not let him get any higher than 95%. Search relentlessly for openings where you can either ftilt or up smash (to KO).

Fast fall whatevers are fairly risky when Sheik is at high percent. You died from bad DI because of it on your first stock.

Learn to power shield aura spheres out of needle charge but don't overuse your needles as it's important to keep ftilt decayed for a clean stock. Keep them fully charged as a threat. Release them if you want him more grounded if he's extremely airborne.

Bairs are good anti-airs against him and can rack up necessary damage. Time them to hit after his fairs, which is possible by just reacting to his jumping.

You could have been going for kills much earlier.

iLight

Smash Lord
can you guys critique these videos

Light(Sheik) vs Le THien(Diddy) 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLCc16OxvZI&feature=channel_page

Light(Sheik) vs Le THien(Diddy) 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8geG2AO5fpQ&feature=channel_page

I have a bunch more matches recorded against him that I won, but these were some of our closer matches except the first one where I did not do as well, its pretty funny actually idk what i was doing, so i did not post it here, its pretty awful and is not a proper rep of my play style

so if you could I'd like to know what you guys think

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You seem to cover a lot of your whiffs with jabs. I'm not sure if this is good or not, or even if you're just doing this because it seemed to work pretty well against Diddy (I don't remember you doing it nearly as much in your older vids).

You also play a lot on the SH bair auto-crossup gimmick.... is pretty good, but might want to explore some other options on jumpin.

iLight

Smash Lord
thanks, i'll try to work on that, i was also noticing myself being kind of predicatable, i think part of the problem was that he had so little idea of what to actually do about it that it kept working in a lot of situations.

here are the rest of the videos for people to look at, i'd like to know if anyone see's other things, i think that i may need some better recovery options, or at least i need to focus more on taking my time and thinking for a second before i try to get on stage

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=202033

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Could you guys critique my matches please?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLhO4eMw1z4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrWNdIIXPjk

@ Steel2nd

How many nades does Snake have? O.o

I wouldn't recommend switching to Zelda against Snake. Snake can make Zelda approach, which is not very good for Zelda.

When Ftilting Snake, he can pull out a nade. So what I recommend doing is grabbing after a couple hits and throw Snake up in the air, where Sheik can take control.

Get use to the timing of the nades. I saw you sitting in your shield next to a nade when you had enough time to pick it up and throw it back at Snake.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I've had much more positive results with switching to Zelda than struggling to kill Snake with Sheik after I'm out of ftilt up smash range or I don't gimp.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
I <3 this match.

0:34 - Pausing, an acceptable mindgame. The problem you had here was You didn't get the pic! That was completely album worthy!

"YES!" controls space so well. He also reminds me of how ridiculous Snake's hitboxes are...

You're probably safe with just doing two forward tilts, before Snake pulls out a grenade to stop you. Don't quote me on it, but you might also be safe with one forward tilt to Up Smash or Nuetral Air or Down Smash, or safest, a Throw.

He becomes frantic in the air. Bait him. Bait him like a prostitute baits a john. Empty jumps to tipper Up Smashes would work wonders in this scenario.

Considering he grabbed you right out of your Forward Smash, don't.

Very nice second kill with Zelda, but then you turned into Sheik and blocked his Nair with your hurt box... :/

2:39 You jumped from the platform then crouched and crawled backwards. Were you trying to do a sliding Downsmash/Dtilt [I can't remember or find the name at the moment for the life of me]? If you were, even though you didn't do it, I applaud the fact that you tried. Using the stage to all of Sheik's advantages is something I think everyone could start doing more. If not... well dang.....

3:06 He dropped a nade, grabbed you, set you down, and you rolled into the grenade. Don't roll into the nade! Unless you knew that you would have the invincibility. In which case, don't roll into the nade. Either way I think about it, it just seems like a bad idea.

Entertaining match to watch, overall. Good job.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
stealth:

in the luigi matchup you can afford to be much more defensive. you do have a bad spot dodge habit at seemingly random times so watch urself when u do it unnecessarily. just zone him with bairs and needles and approach openings will just come naturally.

in the rob matchup, well, the rob player himself wasnt that great (very hasty and didnt make safe decisions) i think both of u in this match were just making reckless decisions. its all good, cuz its a friendly. i think you'd see much better qualities in these matches if u guys played more seriously or for higher stakes, but i could be wrong (maybe u were trying ur best?) but yeah just make better decisions, watch ur random spot dodges and dsmashes

steel2nd:

your sheik is good. there were some unsafe approaches there that got you punished, but hey, they weren't that bad. your sheik has a pretty good flow of attacks, but there are SOME situational points where u should sit back and watch before u do anything. really pay attention to what you're doing against snake cuz you will take heavy damage if u mess up and get hit by a grenade or something.

with zelda, be much more reserved lol. thats how she should be played, dont take unnecessary damage. dont FORCE the kill, LOOK for it. its okay, just stay calm its not hard to do that.

too both of u, and to all sheik players:

every sheik gets the feeling of satisfaction when u guess correctly and rack up a lot of damage with good aggression. every sheik these days has good execution and a good knowledge of what leads into what. however, it's how you work in those damaging combos and options that makes u a better sheik player. u guys need to watch yourself and look at what's getting you punished in order to improve. games with sheik are fast paced, so u really need to pay attention and be reactive to what happens.

just dont let your attentive state force u into a defensive position. zone urself with bairs and aerials and needles in order to stay aggressive while at the same time passively watching ur opponent for mistakes.

too many sheik players (besides ankoku who plays a little too weird/reserved) rush in wildly thinking their attack will connect, disregarding all punishability thinking your attack will surely connect.

sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. it's basically 50/50. that's what it is... a GAMBLE. some gambles are good, some are bad. you have to lessen those gambles and create a solid sheik game without resorting to them. because they DO work sometimes, and they will work greatly in ur favor if u have enough experience to know when to rush in wildly (usually in pressure situations, all out aggression can save u when you're behind.)

or it could get u 3-stocked. just watch urself closely and watch ur own videos to see what mistakes ur making : )

stealth3654

Smash Lord
stealth:

in the luigi matchup you can afford to be much more defensive. you do have a bad spot dodge habit at seemingly random times so watch urself when u do it unnecessarily. just zone him with bairs and needles and approach openings will just come naturally.

in the rob matchup, well, the rob player himself wasnt that great (very hasty and didnt make safe decisions) i think both of u in this match were just making reckless decisions. its all good, cuz its a friendly. i think you'd see much better qualities in these matches if u guys played more seriously or for higher stakes, but i could be wrong (maybe u were trying ur best?) but yeah just make better decisions, watch ur random spot dodges and dsmashes

too many sheik players (besides ankoku who plays a little too weird/reserved) rush in wildly thinking their attack will connect, disregarding all punishability thinking your attack will surely connect.

sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. it's basically 50/50. that's what it is... a GAMBLE. some gambles are good, some are bad. you have to lessen those gambles and create a solid sheik game without resorting to them. because they DO work sometimes, and they will work greatly in ur favor if u have enough experience to know when to rush in wildly (usually in pressure situations, all out aggression can save u when you're behind.)

or it could get u 3-stocked. just watch urself closely and watch ur own videos to see what mistakes ur making : )
This is my problem :(. I seem to think my attacks will connect all the time when it really won't. Thanks Chok :).

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
EXCELLENT Sheik. Now that's what I'm talking about.

(too bad it's against tlink who sheik ***** LOL)

That video shows great decision making, great matchup knowledge, and confident mixups.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Best fight I've ever seen (fight 6). We should be embarassed. Like. Seriously. That MK was dang good too.

Get ***** American Smash. lol

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I did a quiet clap after watching match 1and if I wasn't at school I might of done more.

When I get home in a hour or so I'll watch all of them and give you my thoughts.

clowsui

Smash Legend
choknater and I have officially concluded that armada, out of all of us, is the most ballsy/gutsy sheik with vids

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yes he is very brave to fight MK and ROB the way he does. i'm pretty impressed with how he performs under that kind of pressure

hes not even that good at DACUS and doesnt make the BEST decisions all the time but he is very consistent and pretty innovative with stuff like how he approaches and how he edge guards

things that ilearned i should do more:
- approach with shield against mk and be conservative
- full hop a lot cuz it opens up approach opportunities
- throw angled charged needles more for edgeguarding
- grow some (bigger) balls

armada is excellent

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Really? Overall I can't say Armada struck me as consistent, but he's had his moments when he really shined.

Edgeguarding is cool, and honestly you shouldn't even feel upset if they don't die because they're taking like 50% in free offstage damage in the process.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm well by consistent i mean he kept up his fairly aggressive style even when he was udner pressure. if that was me, i would be very scared of characters like MK and rob in a tournament grand final. armada didn't really show any fear and pulled some great comebacks, especially on that last match where reaper seemed to step up his own aggressive game by playing faster.

i probably meant to say very solid under pressure rather than consistent. he takes charge even when he is behind... reminds me of mango haha

(they are both little teenager kids too LOL)

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
wow.... Wow...... WOW. I am in awe. Well, Sheik boards, the bar has been set.
watch his opponents closer, He is a strong sheik but his opponents are making poorer choices than he is. Reaper wouldn't of made it to the finals down here with spacing (getting down smashed outr of a guide attack?!) and low tech skill (gliding into the ground?) among other things.

P.S. It's my birthday : )
happy birthday.
:)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i agree, reaper's mk is not nearly as good as american ones, not to discredit armada though :)

dunno if you guys noticed, reaper never used tornado

Top Bottom