• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashfests at UMD fridays

Brock_Lobster

Smash Cadet
might want to put me on the maybe list, i really wanna play but apparently everyones going to howl at the moon tonight... w/ dueling pianos... so if i dont come this weekend, definitely next time.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I had a tooon of fun. Thanks for letting me crash for the night. Nice to meet you all. Chival taught me some sexy tech chases against Falcons that I can't wait to implement into my game. Yeah, you scaaared.

Sorry that I didn't see your post in time Jove, I would have picked you up otherwise.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I'll be here next friday. ;o My fault that I could not make it this time around.
Everyone try and come. A ride WOULD be awesome if anyone lives nearby me so I can avoid public transportation.
I live in Germantown.

Jove

Smash Journeyman
I had a tooon of fun. Thanks for letting me crash for the night. Nice to meet you all. Chival taught me some sexy tech chases against Falcons that I can't wait to implement into my game. Yeah, you scaaared.

Sorry that I didn't see your post in time Jove, I would have picked you up otherwise.
its cool. you should drive up next week and pick me up on the way ;D

Jdawg26

Smash Apprentice
I thought this thread was a one time only thing. o_o I may be able to make it to one of these...

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
CP Tournament Resurgence Announcement

I want to hear what people think of having regular Melee tournaments at CP, like monthlies or biweeklies, in addition to Friday smashfests on off weeks.

As of recently, ChRed has indefinitely defected his status as tournament organizer and possibly goer, although he will likely help me facilitate to some extent. Yes, me. I have resolved to step up to the plate as the chief planner and overseer of such events.

Those who attend the smashfests will reasonably be folks from the local MD/VA district, but it is entirely possible that our tournaments will attract OOS interest, as they have in the past. Therefore, the Melee community not only in CP will be enriched, but as broad as the entire EC as well. *Amen*

I am also contemplating the possibility of constructing a power ranking of CP event regulars. This PR will be managed (inductions approved and changes exerted upon) at the authority of a panel as yet unelected. I want to get input on this idea as well.

Brock_Lobster

Smash Cadet
I would like to go to more smashfests (preferably as close as possible) , I'll probably have some friends interested as well, but above all, I'd like to improve my game, meet new people. Sounds cool, GL w/ that venture.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I love how joe made that sound all official and ****.

Personally i don't know why there aren't MD/VA power rankings for melee.

We'll have fairly regular tourneys again (Travis running Aftershock, and PLank said he would be hosting stuff).

Method440

Smash Rookie
I want to hear what people think of having regular Melee tournaments at CP, like monthlies or biweeklies, in addition to Friday smashfests on off weeks.

As of recently, ChRed has indefinitely defected his status as tournament organizer and possibly goer, although he will likely help me facilitate to some extent. Yes, me. I have resolved to step up to the plate as the chief planner and overseer of such events.

Those who attend the smashfests will reasonably be folks from the local MD/VA district, but it is entirely possible that our tournaments will attract OOS interest, as they have in the past. Therefore, the Melee community not only in CP will be enriched, but as broad as the entire EC as well. *Amen*

I am also contemplating the possibility of constructing a power ranking of CP event regulars. This PR will be managed (inductions approved and changes exerted upon) at the authority of a panel as yet unelected. I want to get input on this idea as well.
Sounds awesome. You should definitely pursue this. The power rankings exclusive to CP will definitely brew up some competition, which is always good. :laugh:

Jove

Smash Journeyman
i would definitely rather have tournaments than smashfests. just for the competition, itll help people get better

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
tournaments require money bro.
smashfests are free. I'd rather smashfests than tournaments because you get to play as much as you want for free.
There will be more competitive players at the tournaments. The venue is free, so you can play all the friendlies you want if you're worried about money.

sonofashrub

Smash Apprentice
i'm sorry I couldn't make it :(
I will go to the next one for sure!

I live like 1 minute walking distance from it. :(

Also, I'm so excited for these tournaments, ImpressiveManJoe!

The Newb

Smash Ace
Hey, Chivalruse, I can bring another full setup for this Friday. Is there any way I could get there around like 3-4 to avoid rush hour?

This is all dependent upon the weather. **** driving in the snow.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I'll probably get there at 4-4:30 to avoid traffic too (I have class till 1:00 PM).

I'll repost this here since I bet more people are subscribed to this thread than the other one right now:

the crimson blur in the monthlies thread said:
*IMPORTANT*
I just thought of a fantastic idea. I was planning on attending 2 fests this weekend. I was thinking of going to the fest in CP this Friday, then driving back to Charlottesville for the night, waking up, and driving 4.5 hours to a Brawl/Melee tourney called 99% Melee in North Carolina on Saturday. I could still do that; the idea still sounds pretty good to me. However, I'd rather attend Tunes' biweekly in New Jersey (3 hours from CP) because it'd save me 3 hours of driving, probably have a few better players, and be exclusively Melee. So what I was thinking was that I'd go to Tunes' with 4 other people carpooling with me. The catch is that I'd need to be able to sleep somewhere on Friday and Saturday nights. So I'd be willing to drive anyone in CP for free in exchange for a floor to sleep on.

Whoever can't house me can come too, but would have to pay a little gas (sorry; it won't be much if we can get a full car). If we have more than 4 people who want to come, people with setups will have priority. If no one is interested in heading up to Jersey with me, I'll just go to North Carolina like I planned. Either way, I need to know interest for this proposal soon.

TELL ME NOW IF YOU WANT TO COME.

Laijin

Smash Hero
There is a suppose to be a blizzard that will last all weekend. 8-10 inches of snow. If this is true, can't make it this friday.
Seems like whenever I make plans to do anything at all I get constantly snow canceled.
I'm REALLY starting to hate this state and I have only been here for a month. I will never move any farther up north. =\

The Newb

Smash Ace
There is a suppose to be a blizzard that will last all weekend. 8-10 inches of snow. If this is true, can't make it this friday.
Seems like whenever I make plans to do anything at all I get constantly snow canceled.
I'm REALLY starting to hate this state and I have only been here for a month. I will never move any farther up north. =\
Maryland usually gets very minimal snow. It's a fluke :p

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I will be around, anyone who wants to come can, snow or not, and since it's not even below freezing right now we prolly won't get as much as they're forcasting.

Top Bottom