• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread 4.1™-Rockets, Spiders, Drums, Arms, Wings, Lightning, Marsupials and OP form a circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumples

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gumples
Guys, I have a condition. My condition is that I'm 20 years old and have yet to play a Zelda game (Yes, I know who Zelda is. The guy with the green cap). Should I get Majora's Mask as a starting point into the series?
Well there's always A Link Between Worlds if you want that old school Zelda feel, but obviously OOT is a pinnacle in gaming achievement so they say, so I would say OOT and then MM.

Soul.

"Do it for her" means use Palutena with custom moves. :troll:
Only tomorrow til dat New 3DS & Majora 3D!

Also, decided to use the Mii Fighter sharing system to download some Mii's with (wrongfully) maxed stats. :p

And apparently, Nintendo has been banning 3DS owners from online use who have been pirating (good for them). Here's a GBATemp post describing the ban:

“Users in multiple countries have been getting error 002-0102, which normally means an internet connectivity problem. However, after contacting Nintendo, multiple users have confirmed that the CS says its a ban. They offer no further information at this time, and can not overturn it. As of now, there is no solid evidence that it is a NNID ban, and most conjecture/circumstance points to a MAC/SN ban. Users that are banned can still enter the eShop and purchase games, and download updates. They can not go online within any game or use their friends list. They also can not use ANY application that requires online connectivity, including Pokemon Bank, YouTube, and Netflix. However, the Web Browser DOES still work.”
They're banning users?

This Guy!

True Metal Warrior
3DS FC
2809-9166-5335
Guys, I have a condition. My condition is that I'm 20 years old and have yet to play a Zelda game (Yes, I know who Zelda is. The guy with the green cap). Should I get Majora's Mask as a starting point into the series?
Majora's Mask... errr, I wouldn't exactly start there. I'll have to go with @ Saikyoshi Saikyoshi and start with Ocarina of Time if you want to start at a good 3D Level. I'm a personal fan of A Link Between Worlds in the 2D Realm, which is also a good starting point.

By the way, that avi is amazing. XD

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681

Also, decided to use the Mii Fighter sharing system to download some Mii's with (wrongfully) maxed stats. :p

And apparently, Nintendo has been banning 3DS owners from online use who have been pirating (good for them). Here's a GBATemp post describing the ban:

“Users in multiple countries have been getting error 002-0102, which normally means an internet connectivity problem. However, after contacting Nintendo, multiple users have confirmed that the CS says its a ban. They offer no further information at this time, and can not overturn it. As of now, there is no solid evidence that it is a NNID ban, and most conjecture/circumstance points to a MAC/SN ban. Users that are banned can still enter the eShop and purchase games, and download updates. They can not go online within any game or use their friends list. They also can not use ANY application that requires online connectivity, including Pokemon Bank, YouTube, and Netflix. However, the Web Browser DOES still work.”
Does this mean the GTS will be cleared of Jirachis named **** YOU? Well, that's good news.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Yes. Yes I do. Most of them directly related to fears regarding nihilism.
I never knew what nihilism was before (I'm 15 and never did philosphy before), but after reading some stuff on it, I see where you could find something scary in it.
But why do you fear this ? It's only one type of philosophy. Why fearing it ?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I've just now sent a Philips CD-i game console and some oldschool Zelda games your way.

Happy Valentine's Day, Gold.

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
Alright then, I'll give Ocarina of Time a go, see how I like it. Didn't they make a remastered edition or something like that?
I've just now sent a Philips CD-i game console and some oldschool Zelda games your way.

Happy Valentine's Day, Gold.
@ Sehnsucht Sehnsucht Good sir, you're too kind!

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

hey!!!!

I was GOING to post this....

that's not cool....:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

But seriously, I was going to say that sheesh, that is quite strict indeed.

Still, does that mean less weird stuff on Pkmn GTS?

Cause I think there was weird stuff....I think the filters helped it a lot.

Soul.

You can make a Pokémon in PokéGen, make it look like it's legal, put it as an Action Replay code, put in your Action Replay and put the code. Then your Pokémon shows up and you trade it to Poké Transporter to Pokémon Bank to Pokémon X, Y, OR, and AS.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I never knew what nihilism was before (I'm 15 and never did philosphy before), but after reading some stuff on it, I see where you could find something scary in it.
Because I don't know how to argue against it. If everything is temporary and ultimately meaningless, why should I delude myself by continuing to live? Why shouldn't I just stop delaying the inevitable and blow my brains out right here, right now?

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Because I don't know how to argue against it. If everything is temporary and ultimately meaningless, why should I delude myself by continuing to live? Why shouldn't I just stop delaying the inevitable and blow my brains out right here, right now?
But if I follow this logic, this means that this theory is meaningless by itself right ? So why would you think about it.
It's only a philosophy. A way to live. For me, life is an adventure : there's a beginning and an end. I might as well profit of it a maximum even though there's no meaning to it.

Philosophy is in general idiotic in my opinion. So why would you care about it ? Just do what you want and don't think about it.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
hey!!!!

I was GOING to post this....

that's not cool....:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

But seriously, I was going to say that sheesh, that is quite strict indeed.

Still, does that mean less weird stuff on Pkmn GTS?

Cause I think there was weird stuff....I think the filters helped it a lot.
Looking at GBATemp, it looks like the ban is only so far on people who are using flash cards to play 3DS ROMs.

No reports of those making mods

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Nihilism is the view that not only is there no innate objective meaning or value in anything ever, but it is impossible/futile to try to imbue subjective meaning or value in things.

This presents a problem, in that under nihilism, you can't perform any judgements, and one choice or outcome is just as arbitrary as any other. If I smack you upside the head, you have no grounds to say what I did was right or wrong, nor to say that I deserve punishment (or that I don't).

It's equally as meaningful to live or to die. Making any kind of choice becomes impossible because there's no incentive one way or the other.

Existentialism is the superior philosophy, in that you can actually apply it in your decision-making. In this view, there is no innate objective meaning or value in anything, but you can imbue subjective meaning or value in things.

Which is to say, the universe may not care one way or the other whether you and I are friends, but I can nonetheless choose to value our friendship, because it matters to me. And since all I have is my experience of reality, and my experience is dictated by preferences (i.e. I value some things over others), then that's enough for me. I am my experience, and in my experience, I enjoy being alive, so I want to be alive, so I value the act of living.

I may die the moment I post this, or tomorrow, or at the age of 112, or anytime in between. But I only ever experience the present moment, so I'll worry about the state of death when it comes for me (and if my experience persists after death, then I'll adjust accordingly).

There's some layman's philosophy, in the understanding of Sehnsucht the Wise.

Gumples

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gumples
I like to think that life has no meaning in a general sense, so you make your own purpose on this Earth to receive some kind of self-fulfilment/self worth.

But I'm not a philosopher, my actual studies were in classical civilisation and politics, so what do I know.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I had my first philosophy classes at age 15. Needless to say, my life changed since then as it reignited my natural curiosity and penchant for deeper thinking.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Don't forget Codename S.T.E.A.M.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Nihilism is the view that not only is there no innate objective meaning or value in anything ever, but it is impossible/futile to try to imbue subjective meaning or value in things.

This presents a problem, in that under nihilism, you can't perform any judgements, and one choice or outcome is just as arbitrary as any other. If I smack you upside the head, you have no grounds to say what I did was right or wrong, nor to say that I deserve punishment (or that I don't).

It's equally as meaningful to live or to die. Making any kind of choice becomes impossible because there's no incentive one way or the other.

Existentialism is the superior philosophy, in that you can actually apply it in your decision-making. In this view, there is no innate objective meaning or value in anything, but you can imbue subjective meaning or value in things.

Which is to say, the universe may not care one way or the other whether you and I are friends, but I can nonetheless choose to value our friendship, because it matters to me. And since all I have is my experience of reality, and my experience is dictated by preferences (i.e. I value some things over others), then that's enough for me. I am my experience, and in my experience, I enjoy being alive, so I want to be alive, so I value the act of living.

I may die the moment I post this, or tomorrow, or at the age of 112, or anytime in between. But I only ever experience the present moment, so I'll worry about the state of death when it comes for me (and if my experience persists after death, then I'll adjust accordingly).

thumbs-up.png

Now that's what I like in philosophy (even though I barely know it). Existentialism looks more plausible than nihilism, who just look like a big paradox than anything else.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Looks like Twitch Plays Pokemon is doing an anniversary run of Red version. This time with all 151 available. Sadly they got Charmander again about 5 mintues ago.

Not liking the Donation/Subscriber bar. Ruins a bit of the experience IMO, especially with it going off every 2 seconds.

Did anyone else read the new thread title as "You can't spell entertainment without Tetra?"
I don't get it.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514

I like to think that life has no meaning in a general sense, so you make your own purpose on this Earth to receive some kind of self-fulfilment/self worth.

But I'm not a philosopher, my actual studies were in classical civilisation and politics, so what do I know.
There's no difference between the two for me. If nobody will miss me when I'm gone, then I functionally never existed at all. Therefore, it won't matter if I killed myself right now. Even if you'd be shocked at first, nobody will remember next century.

If there's no point to living, then I don't want to live.

It's the primary reason I'm so religious; I just want someone to miss Earth when it's gone.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Philosophy can be a really interesting subject and can allow you to be more open-minded.

When I had philosophy classes, I greatly liked them and I learned a lot of interesting stuff there. My teacher was pretty good at it and also runs a blog about the subject.

Among other things, I started thinking for myself, questioning about my actions and improved my argumentation skills. It would be really a disservice to say I didn't grow up back then.

_gold_

Smash Master
Looks like Twitch Plays Pokemon is doing an anniversary run of Red version. This time with all 151 available. Sadly they got Charmander again about 5 mintues ago.
So it begins... again...

Gumples

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gumples
There's no difference between the two for me. If nobody will miss me when I'm gone, then I functionally never existed at all. Therefore, it won't matter if I killed myself right now. Even if you'd be shocked at first, nobody will remember next century.

It's the primary reason I'm so religious; I just want someone to miss Earth when it's gone.
I like honest people like you. I too struggle with such thoughts, and it's not a great feeling.

You have my respect, good sir.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463

Then why don't you give yourself an objective ? I like to think that life is like a video game : it makes no real sense, there's no real reason for me to play it, but I might as well do or create an objective by living it. People won't remember me ? Fine, it's not like I really care. I only care for the ones I like or cares about me, not for the ones I don't know or care.

I respect your opinion, but you should start being a little bit more optimistic. Scaring yourself with this stuff isn't really good for anybody.

Philosophy can be a really interesting subject and can allow you to be more open-minded.

When I had philosophy classes, I greatly liked them and I learned a lot of interesting stuff there. My teacher was pretty good at it and also runs a blog about the subject.

Among other things, I started thinking for myself, questioning about my actions and improved my argumentation skills. It would be really a disservice to say I didn't grow up back then.
I'll do philosophy next year, but I already know that I will like it. I like to think, even though I'm more of a simpleton than anything else.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514

I know it'll help me grow and be open minded in the long run, but right now, I'm in a ball of tears and I keep looking at the knife drawer.

Then why don't you give yourself an objective ? I like to think that life is like a video game : it makes no real sense, there's no real reason for me to play it, but I might as well do or create an objective by living it. People won't remember me ? Fine, it's not like I really care. I only care for the ones I like or cares about me, not for the ones I don't know or care.

I respect your opinion, but you should start being a little bit more optimistic. Scaring yourself with this stuff isn't really good for anybody.
You just don't get it. If I'm forgotten, I'll have been erased. I will functionally never have been born. Every day it feels like an assassin's hunting me down, one that I know's about to catch up with me at any moment.

I just feel like maybe I should get it over with instead of waiting around in something that's just going to be wiped.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Philosophy is in general idiotic in my opinion. So why would you care about it ? Just do what you want and don't think about it.
Philosophy is the furthest thing from idiotic. Consider the five main branches of Philosophy and its applications:

-Epistemology is the study of knowledge. What is knowledge? What do we know? What can we know? What constitutes evidence? How reliable are our senses and intuitions? How do we determine which hypotheses are superior, or more reliable, than others? Science, and the scientific method, relies on epistemic reasoning to direct itself, and science is only as reliable and productive as it is because of its epistemic foundation.

-Ethics is the study of morality. What is morality? What should we do, or not do, in a given scenario? What is right, and what is wrong? What does it mean to say that a thing is right or wrong? How does one act morally? Serious considerations of what is right and wrong has great uses for determining how we should treat with one another, both on an interpersonal scale and on a societal scale (justice, government, foreign relations, cultural norms, etc.).

-Logic is the study of argument and debate. What is a good idea? What is a bad one? How does one communicate a point? How does one distinguish a good argument from a bad one? How should debate be carried out? The uses and applications of Logic should be self-evident, as it allows us to weed out good arguments and ideas from the bad.

-Aesthetics is the study of art. What is art? What purposes does art serve? What distinguishes good art from bad art? How does one go about analyzing and critiquing art? Why should we do art? The arts are a vehicle of cultural expression, allowing us to engage with, propagate, and shape the ideas and norms and memes that make up our culture, society, politics, inter- and intra-personal relations, and so on.

-Metaphysics is the study of existence. What is existence? What is real? What is not real? What is existence "made" of? What "kinds" of things are there? How to they interact? Metaphysics has the least direct application, but it is nonetheless useful to question, consider, and classify what we know and don't know, to try and explain our experience of reality through intelligible frameworks.

This is what Philosophy is, and those who practice it are philosophers. The common image is that philosophers just lounge in their chairs all day long and talk about ideas that have no relationship to our daily lives. But what philosophy actually does is allow us to better our minds, spirits, and livelihoods by questioning assumptions and trying to frame and elucidate that which is true, and what is most optimal for us.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Philosophy is the furthest thing from idiotic. Consider the five main branches of Philosophy and its applications:

-Epistemology is the study of knowledge. What is knowledge? What do we know? What can we know? What constitutes evidence? How reliable are our senses and intuitions? How do we determine which hypotheses are superior, or more reliable, than others? Science, and the scientific method, relies on epistemic reasoning to direct itself, and science is only as reliable and productive as it is because of its epistemic foundation.

-Ethics is the study of morality. What is morality? What should we do, or not do, in a given scenario? What is right, and what is wrong? What does it mean to say that a thing is right or wrong? How does one act morally? Serious considerations of what is right and wrong has great uses for determining how we should treat with one another, both on an interpersonal scale and on a societal scale (justice, government, foreign relations, cultural norms, etc.).

-Logic is the study of argument and debate. What is a good idea? What is a bad one? How does one communicate a point? How does one distinguish a good argument from a bad one? How should debate be carried out? The uses and applications of Logic should be self-evident, as it allows us to weed out good arguments and ideas from the bad.

-Aesthetics is the study of art. What is art? What purposes does art serve? What distinguishes good art from bad art? How does one go about analyzing and critiquing art? Why should we do art? The arts are a vehicle of cultural expression, allowing us to engage with, propagate, and shape the ideas and norms and memes that make up our culture, society, politics, inter- and intra-personal relations, and so on.

-Metaphysics is the study of existence. What is existence? What is real? What is not real? What is existence "made" of? What "kinds" of things are there? How to they interact? Metaphysics has the least direct application, but it is nonetheless useful to question, consider, and classify what we know and don't know, to try and explain our experience of reality through intelligible frameworks.

This is what Philosophy is, and those who practice it are philosophers. The common image is that philosophers just lounge in their chairs all day long and talk about ideas that have no relationship to our daily lives. But what philosophy actually does is allow us to better our minds, spirits, and livelihoods by questioning assumptions and trying to frame and elucidate that which is true, and what is most optimal for us.

Like I said before, I still never did philosophy, so of course I would say something like this. But I personally prefer to be more like a simpleton than anything else. Having my "own" philosophy I guess. But I'll study that next year, and a lot. 8 hours of it a week will help me learning it I think.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I do not follow any religion and while my opinion is that of an agnostic, I live in accordance to atheism. I fully believe people should learn all kinds of different perspectives and mold their own viewpoints on the world, based on their own experience.

Of course, I do believe certain kinds of perspectives (usually of the extreme sort) are dangerous and should be purged, but not forgotten. I think it's extremely important that people learn history to avoid repeating the past's mistakes and let humanity progress.

I know it'll help me grow and be open minded in the long run, but right now, I'm in a ball of tears and I keep looking at the knife drawer.
This will sound predictable, but you should really seek help. You can contact a staff member on this very forum on Forum Support, if you want to. (You could talk to me privately as well.)

I, too, had suicidal thoughts and existential crises, but, in my opinion, those aren't reasons to end one's own life. And if I recovered from such a condition, so can other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom