• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
lawz relax...the more u respond the more ridiculous it gets. he beat someone on wifi congrats to him. as for the pit matchup...id say its slightly in pits favor because he can just spam smash attacks @ higher %s with little real punishment.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
listen bro I just wanted to state that because I wanted to get my opinion heard I didn't know I had to introduce myself I just wanted to help. And the "english twit" came at me 1st with a smartass remark and CiTH came behind him callin me a ****in kid so you need to see my point of view wen I'm just tryin to help and I get attacked by 3 different ppl
You don't have to do anything formal. Just a quick 'Hey guys, I'm new here' would have been cool at the beginning of your post

The Sonic Boards get a fair few trolls here who randomly burst in and state random stuff so their alarms tend to go off pretty quickly. Don't worry about it xD

But seriously guys, stop before I bust Peach out on you all

Hup CHAAA

Mickey69

Smash Apprentice
lol ight ight you got me there.

ight I'm done smack talking.

You have a pretty decent Sonic. I underestimated you at first.

You play alot like Kid Craft.

:093:
Thanks...you have a pretty good sonic too and is nice with the advance techs. The other guy I played said I play like KC as well he good?

my bad if I looked like a jerk but I was just tryin to help and people started talkin smack to be off the bat...how would you react?

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
lawz relax...the more u respond the more ridiculous it gets. he beat someone on wifi congrats to him. as for the pit matchup...id say its slightly in pits favor because he can just spam smash attacks @ higher %s with little real punishment.
true i was gettin fumed up. srry sonic boards that i followed the trolling in a match-up thread. no more from me. oh and to uh.....Mikey (is it?) srry for the other posts. i didn't play your sonic which gives me no right for what i did. so i guess you guys should continue the match-up disscussion.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
D*** guys, this place is pumping right now.

Good thing I never really have to concern myself too much with the Sonic/Pit matchup because theyre are like 1 good Pit mainers/players per region, and the one on the West Coast is in Utah. (I feel sorry for X)

Let's move on now huh?

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
to CONTINUE the matchup stuff Sonic Dittos are i dunno 50-50. because see sonic has speed which is hard for sonic to keep up and sonic has that annoying grabbing stuff which makes it hard for sonic to stay on the ground. so i guess sonic and sonic have an even match. i never would've guessed that.

DOES THAT WORK?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Sonic can't lose, therefore he has a 100-0 matchup, even when you apply DTilt into the recipe.

But seriously, I love it when this place gets active, it's not as boring.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Lol I wanna see whos the idiot wen ur snake is clueless on wut to do wen my sonic kickin you left n right XD Naw but chill:ohwell:
Sorry, I don't fight scrubs with half a second button lag. And I don't main Sonic.

I'll be like GS, if any of this **** happens again, I'll be very report happy, Starting from now.

Mickey69

Smash Apprentice
D*** guys, this place is pumping right now.

Good thing I never really have to concern myself too much with the Sonic/Pit matchup because theyre are like 1 good Pit mainers/players per region, and the one on the West Coast is in Utah. (I feel sorry for X)

Let's move on now huh?
lol you guys havta play my friends pit XD

but yeah lets move on...

Mickey69

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, I don't fight scrubs with half a second button lag. And I don't main Sonic.

I'll be like GS, if any of this **** happens again, I'll be very report happy, Starting from now.
why are you actin like such a **** right now??? no1 else has a problem but you! drop it...

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Sonic can't lose, therefore he has a 100-0 matchup, even when you apply DTilt into the recipe.

But seriously, I love it when this place gets active, it's not as boring.
This is seriously boring compared to what I'm used to. I give this drama a generous 3/10. A fine drama connoisseur such as myself is not impressed

/endsnootystuff :laugh:

But yea guys, enough

Dittos suck

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Guys, try to be more civil about things with less flaming and definitely LESS DOUBLE POSTS.
>_>

And nearly everything was off-topic too. Thanks guys.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
And now he's banned.

GGs to both sides.

Oh well, nothing we're not used to by this point, both sides were acting childish.

Also I keep telling Chis we need to get away from Dittos, we've already explained them to our best, and we need to move on to something that matters more than fighting ourselves.

Like how Marf gives the lot of you trouble, and I have yet to come across a good one.

Edit: D*** Xiivi, why don't you just a drop a name for me to be a mod of the Sonic boards? XD

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
And now he's banned.

GGs to both sides.

Oh well, nothing we're not used to by this point, both sides were acting childish.

Also I keep telling Chis we need to get away from Dittos, we've already explained them to our best, and we need to move on to something that matters more than fighting ourselves.

Like how Marf gives the lot of you trouble, and I have yet to come across a good one.

Edit: D*** Xiivi, why don't you just a drop a name for me to be a mod of the Sonic boards? XD
once you do face a good marth you wonder why people get trouble from him.

i acted like a child and i made myself look stupid. i guess that's what i get.

what other things do you guys need to cover?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
We have every matchup taken care of, we're just going back on our own vouching to review match-ups that need it, and completing write-ups when we feel like it.

Like how Yoshi was put down as a disadvantage even though I thought we said something like even or 5 points into somebody's side.

A more extreme case is the controversy between Sonic and Zelda/Sheik, some are saying the matchup is as bad as like 65/35 their favor when both are put into the situation, and others like me and Malcolm are saying it's not like that ( recall Malcolm saying it was even when you fought Sheik, unless I read that wrong, I'm not lying to you). I suppose we only caved in just to make their side happy but I am personally not satisfied with those ratios.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
I think Sheik does better against Sonic than Zelda. I think it's 45:55 or 40:60 Zelda at worst. 40:60 I think would really be too far. Sonic definatly can out run Zelda,even her dacus I'm pretty sure. A smart Sonic shouldn't get hit with Din's fire ever and her smashes,even though they are long lasting,can be avoided. He needs to be carefull in tha air to avoid being in range of Zelda's upsmash as she'll use it whenever she can.

Sheik is harder to me because of the chain and the annoying needles. But she has killing problems like Sonic. Sheik usually puts me on the defensive.

Since she has more than one way of recovery she can mix those up too. I'm pretty sure she can get a tilt lock for at least a few hits.

And if you're playing on a small stage such as BF you have to be carefull springing out as she has plenty of time to figure out where you'll land and react accordingly as she's not slow.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Just a random note, you should try running towards people's DACUS if they have startup lag, because then they slide past you, and you're like "lol"

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
I have found possibly the best disadvantage for MK's up special when facing sonic's. If your a sonic that knows a MK's moves you can try to jump into the center of the shuttle loop before its activated. This will cause the move to miss and you can ether bair or nair them. I've tested this and its managed to give me a huge advantage. Because the hit box starts out at the beginning of the move if you dodge that you can easily counter. Also when trying to pursue a MK off stage when they try to u-air you can foot stool jump to dodge them or try and use a dair from a high enough range.

I have also found that most Mk's try and pressure sonic's into running in their grabs and attack which puts us in an uncomfortable situation. Trapping an MK at a ledge is also help full because of chances of using a special and falling off the ledge. I know That most great MK's won't fall for this but in the event that it does happen you can ether try to fsmash them or hyphen smash tem, along with grabbing them. Also while in the air i see that MK's try to nair alot trying to attack MK's in the air ins't the best idea so keeping a MK grounded by repetitive nairs, or fairs will ether cancel MK's nair or both moves will collide and hit each other.

Please don't start screaming at me and saying that good MK's won't fall for this but its still good to know this in case such an opening appears while facing them.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
SL is already easy to punish, no need to make such a simple task complicated.

Also it's better that they stay in the air, MK has like the 3rd worst aerial speed and his acceleration is probably as bad as Sonic's, he can't really move or weave aerials, just hope the spam works/time it right according to your reactions, which regardless puts him in a more unfavorable situation when he's not grounded.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
If i am wrong about all this im very sorry im just trying to learn as much about MK as possible because i know that alot of people use him and at tournaments mostly all you see is MK's and i have a tourney at the end of this month i have to attend.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Just do what works and what is guaranteed, and throw in a couple of mindgames here and there, and you're good to go.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
So after reading what I've missed over the past 6 hours...

let's drop the Sonic/Sonic discussion. You can brag all day about being the best Sonic Ditto player (Xtinction), but it's not going to have the same impact on your Sonic skills as playing against the rest of the cast. Chis, you're in control of this thread now so let's just go in whatever direction the current discussion is, which is apparently MK/Pit. When people have random comments questions about other characters, just throw them out here.

Let's face it... match-up knowledge is everything

@Mickey-with a username like yours I'm not surprised people were quick to make assumptions about your maturity. I haven't played either of the two Sonic's that you apparently played today, but if we play I promise I'll record the matches no matter what. If you're really that good, it doesn't hurt to see a fresh Sonic. let's stay on topic though so send me a pm/aim me if you are looking to play later tonight

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
So uh...basically just use everything in Tenki's "Beat the Meat" (lol) thread...that's what you have to know to win a Sonic ditto.

+Random Bit
--If a Sonic pursues you with a spring...drop your own spring.

I think this was brought up already though, lol.

I can't think of too many other odd things, but that's the one I remember the most.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
LMAO...."beat the meat"

I think bair would be better than spring drop.

Spring comes out quicker ;o

The only time a good Sonic would really try to chase you in the air with spring would be at higher percents, so at that point there's enough "stun" to catch you before you can get a Bair out, whereas the spring is safe and effective.

Tenki

Smash Hero
@Mickey-with a username like yours I'm not surprised people were quick to make assumptions about your maturity. I haven't played either of the two Sonic's that you apparently played today, but if we play I promise I'll record the matches no matter what. If you're really that good, it doesn't hurt to see a fresh Sonic. let's stay on topic though so send me a pm/aim me if you are looking to play later tonight
It'll have to be AIM.

Also, I think this thread was going more towards Metaknight.

though, I still think it would have been better-organized if this was a general matchup discussion thread and each character had their own individual matchup thread, ala BlueTerrorist style, because it keeps all the matchup discussion organized.

:/ kind of late for that though, huh?

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
So Sonic can spring upair and then ledge hop and grab the edge...BUT he has to be so far down he's unable to be seen on screen and to the left of the wall that you jump off of after upair for it to work. So it's really hard to do offline and will definatly be impossible online on lagfi since you basically need to be right on the blastline lol. And it doesn't do any good against MK as OSM was right, upair can't beat whornado with either hit.

But you could do this if you were somehow ever in a situation where you knew you weren't going to make it to the edge and you're opponent is just hanging,or you new he would ledge grab. Hit them off with upair and then wall jump up yourself lol. But on the other hand would they just hang there as you ascend? I guess that depends on if they think you can make it or not.XD

tl;dr: SUWL (Spring> Upair> Wall-hop> Legdegrab) barely works on FD but don't use it against whornado.

and LOL Tenki Hey! I made an acronym! XD

PhoenixoKaZe

Smash Ace
NNID
Toffykun
Sonic dittos r too good lol, I play too many of them XD, anyways too the person who trying to prove themself over lag-fi proves nothing, I can win alot of matches against supersonic, but that doesn`t prove anything, since I probably kno he`s way better than me lol XD speaking of which offline>lag-fi XD ^^, hve a tasty steak day XD ^^

Top Bottom