• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

M@v

Subarashii!
I legitly hit over 300 apms at several points vs a diamond player yesterday in a TvT, **** was sick. My average was around 70 though, probably due to the fact my apm is barely 10 in the beginning stages, since all I do is what I need(build scvs, send 1 scouting way points, apm goes up if I **** with the other guy with the scv).

Me(Plat) vs PoM(Diamond)
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/83967-1v1-terran-lost-temple

M@v

Subarashii!
^what he said, there's a pull down tab during the replay that gives you all the information imaginable....resource collection, units building, units on the field, etc. APM is the last one.

M@v

Subarashii!
From the matches i put up on sc2replayed, it says my average is 60...i think in reality its closer to 70ish imo.

rhan

Smash Hero
I was only averaging about 50-60 in most games.
My APM is like 70 on average. And I'm a Diamond player.. lmao

You should be fine. Though I have seen most Zerg players APMs and they exceed over 100.

M@v

Subarashii!
Because they need it. Queens having to constantly inject larvae on all hatcheries is such bs.

Btw patch hypeeee!!!!

Wait, I'm terran :(

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
At least you're not Protoss. Getting earliest tier 1 unit's build time increased 5 seconds, lol.

rhan

Smash Hero
I don't care about the nerf. I'm still gonna play my race. Terran are my favorite. I play with whomever I like til the end! No matter what!

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Guys feel free to add me ArcNatural #328, if you want my email just let me know.

I'm just starting out so I'm currently a bronze zerg although I've been doing much better lately. I was like 5-20 and now I'm something like 50-40.

My main issue really is dealing with mass air (ie Carriers or Battleships). If any of you have any tips for a Zerg player in knowing when to get a feel for when something might be up and decent ways to scout this.

I know I shouldn't be letting them mass carrier for example But I struggle with how to go about forcing them to react. Walls usually just stop me from getting any reads beyond the first drone. If anyone can offer me any tips on how to notice this and more importantly what to do in situations where you want to find out let me know so I can have some ideas.

All I really try to do is mass Corruptor but that's usually after I've seen the mass carrier and lose to sheer numbers. I really struggle with recognizing situations to expand as well.

Sorry I kind of rambled a bit there. But if anyone has some tips or replays showing how they played against someone trying to mass carrier or some big unit (like thor or the other mass ship) please let me know here or via pm.

rhan

Smash Hero
Against Carriers you ant to focus fire the Carrier and not have your units worry about the Interceptors.

That's the only advice I can give you.

The best way to prevent that is to cripple the production line periodically and/or just destroy them before it reaches late game.

Also: Use Overlords to scout their base. Make one or two an Overseer and sneak a few changelings in their army and search around that way. Zerg has probably the worse scouting abilities in the game but it's the most sneakiest if not spotted right away.

Also also: You want to expand when you push out and pretty much set the opponent behind in production. Like if you take out a **** ton of supply they have to waste money to bring their supply back up. That's when you take the initiative to expand.

Lobos

Smash Master
What rhan said....also don't forget zergs can expand faster and should be done when you can manage it

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Overseers are also great in that if you can find a gap in their base defenses, you can fly in and contaminate a building to halt their production, then fly away and start building a counter.

Mass tier 3 shouldn't happen unless you let the opponent produce completely uninterrupted. If you want any practice you can add me and ask for some games, aisight #334

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
zealot build time nerf hype!!

OH WAIT LOL I'M PROTOSS

time for early pools, gate/rax proxies, and photon cannon rushing being annoying as hell.

Btw, how do you stop cannon rushes when they make a cannon in their base? I know how to just pull probes and kill the cannon in my base, try to kill the probe whenever possible, and keep producing zealots, but then my counterattack fails when they have cannons in their base.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
zealot build time nerf hype!!

OH WAIT LOL I'M PROTOSS

time for early pools, gate/rax proxies, and photon cannon rushing being annoying as hell.

Btw, how do you stop cannon rushes when they make a cannon in their base? I know how to just pull probes and kill the cannon in my base, try to kill the probe whenever possible, and keep producing zealots, but then my counterattack fails when they have cannons in their base.
Build cannons. It's seriously the best way to counter cannon rushing.
Of course, you need to have time to get the cannon up before his cannons are in dangerous proximity.

shanus

Smash Hero
i loved how this patch aims to nerf mech (for TvZ) and didn't touch marauders, way to go, blizz!

M@v

Subarashii!
ffs.

Terrans are not OP'd.

Zerg are UP'd. There's a difference. Although the ultralisk splash damage glitch is hilarious now. Pretty sure they are fixing it though.

Also, terrans should be using a mech build vs zerg, not M&M, unless they want to get baneling'd into oblivion.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
These patch glitches are great!

LOL so awesome.

Have you looked at the build order in a victory screen? (this isn't a cap from mine, but most are doing it)

Also, one of my friends was mysteriously awarded the Hot Shot achievement, which isn't supposed to exist.

My favorite thing to do as Terran is build nothing but ungodly amounts of biological units, make tons of risky expos, and send wave after wave as if I'm playing zerg. I mostly do it for the lulz and the sheer joy of tier-1, but thanks to the tank nerf, I've even been having a lot of success using that strat in TvT.

shanus

Smash Hero
ffs.

Terrans are not OP'd.

Zerg are UP'd. There's a difference. Although the ultralisk splash damage glitch is hilarious now. Pretty sure they are fixing it though.

Also, terrans should be using a mech build vs zerg, not M&M, unless they want to get baneling'd into oblivion.
Most (diamond) players tend to disagree. While zerg are UP, the versatility of marauders is just sickening. High DPS to armored, Stim for mobility and DPS increase, base sniping, tanking, and kiting? All for that low price? Saying that they can't shoot air isn't much of a tradeoff as terran has the best AA in the game. They are beyond central to terran gameplay because they are acknowledged to be OP. The mech nerfs was a half ***** solution to try and balance ZvT without truthfully addressing zerg. If concussive shell had a timer, or if stim took off more health to marauders, terran would be a hell of a lot more balanced.

GSL results alone should be more than enough to prove that terran is too good.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Just had my second game that lasted over 15 minutes! Out of my 120+ games, all end before the 15 minute mark. This one went to about 38 minutes with a Zerg player. Surprisingly good player considering he's in silver, but I got the win anyway, putting me in 3rd for my division (I'm in platinum). I should play more and try to get into diamond, but I quit while I'm up. Especially after such an epic, tense match.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Long games tire me out, it makes it hard to come back and play a good game after, at least in my experience.

Mav, I also got the Hot Shot achievement haha. It just showed up, I have no idea how I got it.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I'm getting slightly annoyed at ZvZ on short/medium sized maps vs 6/7 pool.

I feel like I need practice executing properly against it so I come out ahead as long as I scout it. Lately, I've been scouting it fine but I think I actually don't know how to properly defend so that I come out ahead.

I always stop the cheese but it's usually 50/50 that I end up winning in the end. I feel like that shouldn't be happening and I should be winning the majority of these attempts (unless it's all-in with drones as well).

I think this is the first thing I'm going to try to get someone to custom map practice cheesing me so I can make sure I come out ahead heh.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
i always scout at 7 supply for zvz to avoid that 6 pool rush

M@v

Subarashii!
Most (diamond) players tend to disagree. While zerg are UP, the versatility of marauders is just sickening. High DPS to armored, Stim for mobility and DPS increase, base sniping, tanking, and kiting? All for that low price? Saying that they can't shoot air isn't much of a tradeoff as terran has the best AA in the game. They are beyond central to terran gameplay because they are acknowledged to be OP. The mech nerfs was a half ***** solution to try and balance ZvT without truthfully addressing zerg. If concussive shell had a timer, or if stim took off more health to marauders, terran would be a hell of a lot more balanced.

GSL results alone should be more than enough to prove that terran is too good.

I know marauders are sickening, but I prefer hellions with pre-igniter vs zerg early. 4 hellions one shot any zergling or drone in their path, so you can incinerate hoards of lings or drones instantly. Add pre-igniter in, and it it does +10 per hellion, which is nuts. I research it as soon as I get my first tech lab factory. They absolutely destroy zerg unless they get roaches, in which case you simply high-tail it away from them. Also, this is where marauders step in, or higher mech tech(Tanks/thors). Usually in my mech build I'll have my initial raxs making marauders/marines so I have a few mixed in for when the tanks/thors move out.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
i always scout at 7 supply for zvz to avoid that 6 pool rush
Not having problems scouting the rush. Having issues knowing whether I'm ahead after I stop it, and how to properly stop it so I'm gauranteed ahead.

Zone

Smash Champion
Not having problems scouting the rush. Having issues knowing whether I'm ahead after I stop it, and how to properly stop it so I'm gauranteed ahead.
You tend to want to make ur pool roughly the amount of time after it takes for his zerglings to reach you. If they take like 10 seconds to reach you. You can probably build one more drone than him. Thus putting you ahead economically just barely. (this will add up over time). Then make your pool just barely 10 seconds later than him. That way you have your lings up, as he hits you. and you have a higher drone count. just keep spamming lings, while you're spamming lings you should eventually make enough for a queen at some point. make her, If you successfully stopped it. Send in your lings just to scope out the situation if he's got more than you. (which he shouldn't by the time he gives up on trying to take you out early you should have a hundred or two hundred mineral lead.)

what you can do if he keeps on trying to attack you. and you got a slight lead in kills. You can try sending 6 lings off to the side. somewhere maybe camping at a xel'naga tower. once you see his next little wave coming to try and finish you off. you can send those 6 lings into his base. (Or less just enough to do dmg to his Drones while he's away). And leave enough in your base to stop the attack.

If you want man I we can play 1v1 ZvZ and I can keep trying to cheese you. So you can try and practice stopping it. But you'll need to send that early scout, even though you know i'm cheesing otherwise you're cheating yourself to learn because that early drone scout is technically you losing quite a bit of minerals to see cheese.

Also there have been instances where I leave my drone hiding at the side of his base when his lings hatch and head toward me. I'm usually just making my lings as his hatches. and when I get 100 minerals I'll pop that drone into a spine crawler in his base. (If it fails no biggie cancel it just before it dies.) Generally if he's just about to hit your base. He's rallied his hatchery to your base, and is macro'ing his base while micro'ing. So he won't see your spine crawler building if you try to take advantage of that timing.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Thanks man.

Yeah I would love to practice it. My friend code is listed so you can just add me and let me know. I got promoted to silver yesterday heh. I'm starting to recognize some stuff. One of my new issues (dealing with them one at a time here) is now when I realize I can saturate 2 bases quickly my money just shoots up like crazy. One base I'm fine, but two base with full saturation I have trouble with in the early mid-game. I just need to get into the habit of checking my resources/food count every time I build something.

Also if you play other races I have 3-4 builds I've been working on trying to remember. Mainly 1 base roach to expand and 1 base muta. I usually just do 14, ~150 mineral extractor, 13 pool to stuff, but I feel like I need to have a better plan than that.

I also do badly against decently fast MM pushes. Usually because I don't know a good unit composition for it. The only one I know is Muta/baneling or sling/baneling.

But yeah if anyone has specific builds they would like to practice against zerg just let me know. I really think I need to work on cleaning up my BOs for sure.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
So what exactly are the details regarding the patch? Apparently Terran is getting some kind of siege tank nerf and Toss is getting the Zealot 5 second extension.

rhan

Smash Hero
I haven't played SC in a month... Might get on it tonight...

Any suggestions? lmao

Top Bottom