• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

D

Deleted member

I'm rank 1 in Silver - I'm trying to progress back into Gold! I'm assuming I gotta burn through my bonus pool - but my score is like 1250 or so. :( Like that fish in Finding Nemo..."just keep winning, just keep winning.."

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
That's too bad, I really like watching his replays, even if I don't play terran.

Twig

Smash Journeyman
Thanks man.

Yeah I would love to practice it. My friend code is listed so you can just add me and let me know. I got promoted to silver yesterday heh. I'm starting to recognize some stuff. One of my new issues (dealing with them one at a time here) is now when I realize I can saturate 2 bases quickly my money just shoots up like crazy. One base I'm fine, but two base with full saturation I have trouble with in the early mid-game. I just need to get into the habit of checking my resources/food count every time I build something.

Also if you play other races I have 3-4 builds I've been working on trying to remember. Mainly 1 base roach to expand and 1 base muta. I usually just do 14, ~150 mineral extractor, 13 pool to stuff, but I feel like I need to have a better plan than that.

I also do badly against decently fast MM pushes. Usually because I don't know a good unit composition for it. The only one I know is Muta/baneling or sling/baneling.

But yeah if anyone has specific builds they would like to practice against zerg just let me know. I really think I need to work on cleaning up my BOs for sure.
A really nice roach push build that will spit out 7 roaches early is:

12 pool
14 gas - 3 drones asap when it finishes
16 queen
18 overlord
Roach Warren asap afterwards
Rebuild that drone up to 18
Another overlord asap

If done right, should have 18/34, with 3 larvae when the roach warren spawns, with spawn larvae about 3/4 to popping. You can build 3 roaches, then 4 when it pops. This does leave to you vulnerable to 6 pools, however queen + drones should be able to take care of it.

*Warning* - I use this in teams, but I honestly don't know how effective it is in 1v1. I imagine it is quite effective vs toss, seeing as at most they can have maybe 2 stalkers out. Terran's wall + marauders will make this a tough push, but may make you able to expand/hold it. As for Z v Z, I do not suggest this at all, banes/lings all the way.

As for keeping up in macro as zerg, after you saturate that second base I would suggest throwing down a 2nd hatchery in your main if you can't keep up with the minerals (which you really shouldnt be able to). The other option is to throw down the 3rd hatchery at an expo, but you have to be careful of over-extending yourself as well.

Your extra minerals can also be used for some minor defenses, maybe 1-2 spines at your natural expo, or maybe a spore or two if you scout air. Preventing them from expanding while protecting your own from harassment will quickly give you the economic advantage as well as map control.

As for the problem with terran, don't hold me to this, but perhaps getting a quick infestor out for fungal growth to stop that MM push + speedlings/couple banes (if you have extra gas) MAY be able to clean it up....

Sorry for the wall of text O_O... you are welcome to add me @ Twig #511.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Thanks Twig,

I'll do that, I've done the roach one, I think you missed 17 overlord, 18 overlord (at least the Roach build I use makes you do two). I've done it to protoss and zerg with some success. Protoss they do well against cannon zealot walls and let you expand after some damage. Zerg on larger maps where they don't 10 pool baneling you can get like 4-6 roaches and wall off to muta and that can work pretty well sometimes. I really need to work on my sling/baneling to muta games with zerg though. Since that is a staple of ZvZ and I don't really use banelings well unless it's all-in ish.

If you guys want me to add you just leave your name # (or pm me your email).

Is the thread creator active? I'm wondering if we should change the title to be more of a list your Name # and make a list and have general discussion now that the game is out. This thread is already morphing into general discussion and if Sensai is active he could just add to the 1st post or something.

M@v

Subarashii!
I had like 2 or 3 matches over an hour long yesterday -.-. The one guy I beat outmacrod me by like 30k lolololol. His average unspent was like 7k

rhan

Smash Hero
I tried playing yesterday and got *****. Went 1 - 1 in customs games. Got beat by a Toss that was terrible. And the beat a Zerg player in a long game of bull****.

I'm terribad now... I need to relearn EVERYTHING! Halo: Reach ruined me...

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
i need to learn the super basics of this game. someone teach me. mainly stuff like.

- what beats what (units wise or build wise)
- what are the main starter stages
- essential micros or macros to learn
- what to hotkey
- how to fight properly with units
- other small tidbits that i'd never know unless someone told me that i should probably know

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
i need to learn the super basics of this game. someone teach me. mainly stuff like.

- what to hotkey
- other small tidbits that i'd never know unless someone told me that i should probably know
1. Way too complicated to answer simply. I'll say experience is the only way you will truly get good at this.

There are basic stuff such as roaches beat zealots but immortals destroy roaches. Stalker might be even with roach but if you micro stalker beats roach. There are also critical mass situations where zerglings beat marines, but once you have a critical mass of marines marines beat zerglings. Stuff like that.

2. Main stages are the ones that you can pick in the map preferences (where you can vote down). That's enough atm.

3. Learn macro well before micro. But you can be like everyone else and try to do both at the same time heh. Your main focus in the beginning is learning to saturate while building units, while not getting supply blocked and keeping your money low.

4. Hotkeying depends on race. But usually
[1] are ground forces
[2] are flying or some second force
[3] are casters or some combo of 1 and 2.
[4-7] are usually critical buildings (hatcheries,queens,nexus,command,barracks,gateways, etc)
[8-0] usually upgrade buildings or something you don't look at a ton but do occasionally.

Your bottom two questions are much easier answered through experience and in-game heh.

Stuff like you can make a control group with ctrl+1, then you can add additional units by selecting those extra units and pressing shift+1.

If you have a huge force under one control group, usually the caster groups are the abilities you can use when you select all of them. You can cycle through the abilities of each set of units by pressing tab.

That's all I got for now heh. You should definitely add me Omni I'm ArcNatural #328. I'm only just starting to get ok at this game XD.

Omni

BRoomer
@lobos: terran since i used them in SC1

@arc: you are the man :D. i get my macbook pro tomorrow so i'll add you when i get on!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
As always, I'm up for practice. I'm ranked Platinum, but only because I placed directly into it and I don't really ladder much... most of the time I play teams. I also like running lots of silly builds, so feel free to make requests, too. I play Terran and I can sorta macro with Zerg.

aisight #334

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord

- what to hotkey
From what I hear, Lost Temple is just the standard RTS stage. All of the stages are pretty well played on but I usually consider LT to be standard in my head anyway.

Macro is super important. you make enough stuff and you pretty much beat everyone going into platinum (and there you just make enough of the right stuff and you get into Diamond from what I hear). Keep your money low and don't get supply blocked.

Knowing builds is important. AFAIK, each race has a few staple builds you can build off of; learning one or two and getting those down will improve your game a lot more than saying, "oh i wanna go DTs this game and phoenixes next game and VRs next game and blink stalkers next game." Me being Protoss, the most staple build is 4 warp-gate, which you can use to do in all in, or transition into expand or more gates or robotics or twilight council or whatever.

Keep building workers. It took me a long time to get past only having like 15 workers at my main because i kept forgetting past like 20 supply. 3 on each gas and AT LEAST 2 on each mineral patch is ideal.

Know what you can and can't support off of one base. I was watching my friend play and he had a surplus of minerals so he made 7 warp-gates off of one base; he would been able to keep money low with his 4 if he was constantly warping in units.

Right clicking is the smart button. Right click a mineral patch with a worker and it will mine. Right click the enemy with some units and you'll fight. Shift-right-click gives cue commands which is useful for something that's scouting (or if you're Protoss—make a building and shift-rightclick on the mineral patch so the probe will return to mining after making the building).

Control groups are useful, no set-up is really perfect. I've seen pros use control set-ups all around the board. I put all of my Nexuses in a control group, all of my similar unit producing buildings in other control groups, and then my main army in one control group and spellcasters in another.

Twig

Smash Journeyman
Keep building workers. It took me a long time to get past only having like 15 workers at my main because i kept forgetting past like 20 supply. 3 on each gas and AT LEAST 2 on each mineral patch is ideal.
I just want to stress this, KEEP BUILDING WORKERS. Max saturation is 3 per minerals, 3 per gas, there are 8 mineral patches, so 24 + 3*2 = 30 workers total, however constantly checking that you have 24 or roughly that on minerals is vital. Do not just build workers though, it's a balancing act, forces/econ.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Build workers even past full saturation, as it will help your income when you transfer workers to an expansion.

D

Deleted member

So, AltF4 and I had a pretty cool match.

On Kulas Ravine: Me (T) Alt (Z)

At the very beginning I quick moved to the high yield and scouted him with a SCV early. I begin to build rax but then an overlord comes in and he finds me; I hurry to get my 3 tech labbed rax out.

2 min later a baneling / zergling attack comes in, kills all of my mineral workers. Alt says "that's why you wall off as Terran". I MULE the HY and start to rebuild. 30 seconds later I'm building 3 marauders and 2 rines (with a reactor rax now too) and quickly push north to his main, killing his queen and remaining forces.

We checked the resource counter at the end - I somehow was still ahead in resources, even though I miss out of at least 40 seconds at the beginning with the quick move, and my 90% of my SCVs got baneling'd. Just goes to show you that high yield can be pretty tide-turning.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
More like MULEs are broken. Mining rate on gold is 40% faster than normal.

Omni

BRoomer
im way too excited to start playing. my macbook pro comes in today.

so who's going to teach me to become the best of the best of the best of the best

from all the countless videos ive been watching i figure i need to really master my macro (not including what you guys already told me thxxxx). like

- work on mastering hotkeys and using buttons instead of clicking for building/actions
- perfect a build where as soon as i get a certain amount of minerals/gas that i'm ready to build w/e i need next immediately.
- once i get a good beginning start-up build set learn how to branch off into different builds, transition into expanding, applying early harassment, etc.

i guess i need to know toss and lings and how what their building represent what kind of direction they're moving toward.

i also guess i need to memorize the maps.

sighhh so much to learn.

rhan

Smash Hero
I'm a ****ty Diamond player... lol I can try. I'll be on later tonight guys. :)

Rhan#667

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Here's some build orders.
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Terran_Strategy

I recommend avoiding the Cheeses until you know how to play the game well enough to be able to transition. It's a common fault of silver and gold players to throw out a cheese and be unable to hold the advantage if it doesn't outright win.

If you want to learn any specifics of Terran, just ask.

rhan

Smash Hero
I still belong in Platinum forreal. All these Diamond players are kicking my ***...

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll be on tonight. I'm at around a 800 point diamond Zerg. Definitely need to practice mechanics in some 1v1's.

EDIT: I think I need to get a better feel for how well I'm doing during games. Several times now I've been battling tooth and nail for some time, feeling like I'm just barely scraping by, and then my opponent GG's. Then I go back into the replay and see that I've been way ahead all along. And indeed could have won handedly if only I'd just attack.

Perhaps I need to scout more or something. I dunno.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Now that I think about it, I really don't want to be promoted to diamond. Platinum has been a really good balance of challenge and fun.

rhan

Smash Hero
Now that I think about it, I really don't want to be promoted to diamond. Platinum has been a really good balance of challenge and fun.
I wish I could get de-moded... or at least play a majority of rising Platinum players...

Lobos

Smash Master
I'll be on tonight. I'm at around a 800 point diamond Zerg. Definitely need to practice mechanics in some 1v1's.

EDIT: I think I need to get a better feel for how well I'm doing during games. Several times now I've been battling tooth and nail for some time, feeling like I'm just barely scraping by, and then my opponent GG's. Then I go back into the replay and see that I've been way ahead all along. And indeed could have won handedly if only I'd just attack.

Perhaps I need to scout more or something. I dunno.
Dude add me Lobos 708.....I really need to step up my zerg game

Omni

BRoomer
Lobos I was spectating you yesterday. You don't make nearly enough drones in your games. Everyone was around 30-40 for their main base while you were like around 15?

edit:

i think the way i wanna approach learning how to play this game is taking it in small steps. taking on everything at once is too much. for now based off what i played yesterday i just wanna

(as terran)
- memorize essential shortcuts: A = attack, M = move, S on command center = scv's, etc. just wanna work on using less of my mouse and more of my keyboard for commands

- concentrate on a solid start build order and mastering the timing for building each unit/building

- focus only on bio for now (marines, marauders, reapers, and maybe medivacs). that limits the scope of my overall game but i feel like i need to get a better mastery of how to produce these units and how to control them since they're essential for early game for the most partion

Lobos

Smash Master
Yea the problem with me is that for every structure I build its -1 drone and I sometimes forget to keep to replacing those. This is very true for me in mid game when im trying to macro and micro. Gotta love the zerg!

I do try to keep an eye on it and try to have have atleast 20 per base

Omni

BRoomer
yea i mean at first i didnt see it as a big deal but then i realized you were making significantly less income then the rest so you were growing much slower.

lets play s'more after work

D

Deleted member

Randomly ran into LeeHarris online. My teammate and I (another SWF-er, Runawayfire) both went fast Void Rays and took em out. It was close though. :) GG!

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
the only person i've met in ladder is mango

lol

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Lobos I was spectating you yesterday. You don't make nearly enough drones in your games. Everyone was around 30-40 for their main base while you were like around 15?

edit:

i think the way i wanna approach learning how to play this game is taking it in small steps. taking on everything at once is too much. for now based off what i played yesterday i just wanna

(as terran)
- memorize essential shortcuts: A = attack, M = move, S on command center = scv's, etc. just wanna work on using less of my mouse and more of my keyboard for commands

- concentrate on a solid start build order and mastering the timing for building each unit/building

- focus only on bio for now (marines, marauders, reapers, and maybe medivacs). that limits the scope of my overall game but i feel like i need to get a better mastery of how to produce these units and how to control them since they're essential for early game for the most partion
A few things to remember that will help you a lot (From Day[9], who does dailies on SC2 play).

As Terran or Toss you always want to be making workers/probes. Your main setup should be everytime you make a worker/probe you look at your food count (your supply). Whatever your hotkey is for the Command Center should be used. Although you will queue things up in the beginning (cause your learning and will forget), ideally you never queue up anything early game. Since say if you queue up 2 workers on your Command Center your losing 50 or so minerals on the scv in the queue that won't be made until after the first one is, basically stalling your other buildings.

This doesn't seem like much, but it makes a huge difference early game in terms of how fast you get your units out. Never get supply blocked :mad:

For using hotkeys (such as S for scv workers on the Command Center). You should use hotkeys for everything. So if you build something like an engineering bay and you don't know the hotkey for the upgrades, you should bring your mouse over the upgrade you want, read what the hotkey is, bring your mouse back to center and click the hotkey to start it. That should help in getting you familiar with the keys, never click because it should never be a habit to get out of in the first place.

rhan

Smash Hero
I'm off Sunday - Wednesday. But will most likely be on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Sunday is chill day with GF at the mall.
Monday is physical for Navy.
Tuesday maybe choosing job in Navy.
Wednesday is nothing.

rhan

Smash Hero
Went to a local Starcraft 2 tourney today. And... got raaaaaaaaaaaaaaped!

it was single elim. 2/3.

First match was against a Terran. >_>

He was Diamond Rank 20 with 1200 points.

Compared to me?

Diamond. Rank 63. 700 points.

Also doubles went bad.. me and my partner lost to a gold league team.. Because they rushed him with like 3 Zealots and 4 Marines.

Reapers did work against that. But my partner was too set back to catch up and my build was pretty much all in..

rhan

Smash Hero
Yeah it was pretty bad BUT I did see an amazing Terran there.. I can't really remember the name though. It started with an A. But people said that he was in the top 1000 or some **** of the world.

http://www.justin.tv/vacmedia/b/271261465

There's the stream we had going on. Didn't know there was one until just now. Next time I'll post the link for anyone that wants to watch my region.

Btw Shaeman is my partner. And is better then me. And still was getting embarrassed on the livestream.

Also: The guy's name was Aleta

Top Bottom