• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Success/Popularity stuff. Final update coming later today!

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
The following statements are true:

- MK, as a character, wins between 39.97% and 51.17% of all tournament money.
- MK users, whether MK is their main or pocket character, win 51.17% of tournament money.

Yeah, graped.

Edit: 666th post

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
And suddenly, ultimate **** mode data. The gaps MK users have over the non-MK users are even greater than the gaps MK as a character had over the rest of the cast. Does not include tournies from this weekend yet.

Note how, in the non cumulative user chart(the last one), MK never drops below 40% and also rises above 60% at times.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you may want to put collapse tags around those. btw 1 january tournament hasn't been counted, reflex got back to me and I didn't notice.

reflex has helped me in like 3 tournaments so far. thanks flex

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Collapse tags spammed everywhere. Page isn't ***** anymore.

Anyway, I'll take the missed tourney into account and attempt to add it into its designated week.

But for now, perhaps we should talk about how horridly messed up this data is? I'm noticing one character with a now alarmingly significant percentage of winnings over the rest...

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I always suspected the MK users part would be that high, but I guess I am surprised there are no other top tiers even close to the middle section inside the gap. It's just a huge dropoff into mediocrity.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I remember when it was close according to ankoku chart.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Ankoku also measured through top 8. Usually only top 3/4 get money, as well as it not being very proportional to the system he was using, skewered more towards placing first, where MK obviously dominates.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Actually, quite a few big tournies didn't even list payouts, in which case I used the standard 48 - 22 - 14 - 8 - 4 - 4 split, which pays out dough to the top 6, which should cover enough players anyway. And regardless, most tournies that actually did list out their payouts(unless there was a low turnout, like 10 people or something) have payed to top 6-8.

And if MK is dominating first place, then of course he's going to have the highest numbers. That's just stating the obvious, isn't it? >.>;

Reizilla

Yes, but in comparison, the gaps in this system are naturally bigger than in Ankoku's.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Well, the guy in second place shouldn't be gaining as many points as the guy in first, that's natural. I'm not sure, but it sounds like your argument is saying, "MK shouldn't have such high numbers despite placing in the top spots." >___ >;

Also, like I said, a lot of the tournaments, AKA the big, important ones with enormous payouts, have paid to at least top 6. That should provide an even enough spread regardless.

If a there was a tournament of 10 people, it wouldn't make sense for top 8 to get points; it'd be far too low for almost all parties in that case. What's good about measuring payouts is that it changes in proportion to the size of the tournament, and provides enough fairness in the payouts to the players and to the fairness in the data I'm providing.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Ankoku also measured through top 8. Usually only top 3/4 get money, as well as it not being very proportional to the system he was using, skewered more towards placing first, where MK obviously dominates.
You mean skewed, right? Anyway, my points distribution was 10/7/4/4/1/1/1/1, which translates to 34.5/24.1/13.8/13.8/3.4/3.4/3.4/3.4 on a 100 point scale... I'd wager that weighting by actual money won is more skewed toward placing first than my system ever was, as many still run on 60/30/10 or worse yet, 70/20/10, and even in the aforementioned 48/22/14/8/4/4 distribution, first place is getting more than double that of second.

Reizilla

^what he said. I was probably hungry when I wrote that x)

Reizilla

Showing placings, particularly up to top 8, would give a better representation of "succes" in my opinion.

Flayl

Smash Hero
No, money is definitely a better measure of success. You can't have a competitive regional and a 2$ local tournament on equal footing.

If you're not sure about the payout, the best thing to do is ask. Assumptions always come back to bite you in the ***.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Well, Iunno where Ripple is, but since the next week of tournies have passed, I just went ahead and updated my part with every tourney I could find that took place last weekend. If Ripple comes up with some more tournies for that week that I missed, I'm ready and able to update all of my sections at a moment's notice, so no worries.

Update Commentary
- Meta-Knight breaks $6000.
- Diddy Kong finally breaks $1000!
- Marth has finally become viable!
- Pokemon Trainer and Sonic have also stepped up and become viable!
- Samus made money!?

Meta-Knight users are STILL winning above 50% of the tourney money. What up?

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I like how Pokémon Trainer is more viable than Marth.
Reflex you're the only PT who's winning any money at all.

Instead of interpreting that PT users are winning 3.0779% of all tournament money, we can just go ahead and say Reflex is winning 3.0779% of all tournament money.

That, and you have singlehandedly made PT more viable than Marth.

too good

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'm alive, I'll update it later today. I went to a tournament this weekend

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
UPDATED!

ok john,
updated to include 3 week 5 january tournaments.

Gamebox

HBCPGA which had different pay outs than 60/30/10 if you didn't catch it.

1st - $225
2nd - $112.50
3rd - $67.50
4th - ???
5th - $22.50
5th - $22.50

and nub academy

and for this february tournament, all I know is that pane ( the tournament winner, used wolf)

Play & trade 1v1 http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=297072

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Okay, update. I added tournaments to their designated months, so there you go.

Ripple, I also used this tourney: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=297542
So you might want to add it to your data as well, k?

MK dropped by a considerable amount on this update; only winning ~20% of this week's tournament money, but he's still dominating like nuts.

Update Commentary
Snake breaks $2000!
Not much else of importance.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I don't count japan tournaments.

it has no affect on our metagame and they can't play for money.

so in essence, its a different game

Top Bottom