• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Awesome Wario Advanced Technique and Combo Thread! Defensive Tire Play!!!

Nicks

Smash Journeyman
I cant wait to read this new tire section!!!

my tire game sucks atm but after seeing vids of how amazing tires can be (eg S!C) i am really keen to incorporate them into my game.

imo different set ups/mix ups that you can do with tyres would be helpful.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Nice tire section Mr. Pwn! I'd like some pics; I'm more of a visual learner. =D

(S!C)

Smash Journeyman
in a full hop you can let bounce the tire twice. but tbh, its crap.
i prefer using tires on stages with no even ground, halberd for example, i often throw the tire in the air and run to the enemy, the enemy attacks you, tire comes from behind and then tirehit 2 freeattack

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
New additions made with Glide Tossing and Instant Throwing, let me know how it looks! :) I'll be getting some pics up showing zoning with tires, spacing etc when I find some time. My bike tire went flat again.... gotta go put a new tube in that ***** haha.

SAX

Smash Ace
Just btw guys, I went to a tourny today, and placed 3rd! Yaye me!
I went wario and mk. And I couldn't have done it without wario!
Destiny is bringing me back to wario. So I'll be talking more around the wario boards again =D
I'll try to get those vids up soon.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Congrats SAX! I got 5th at my tourney yesterday haha, not too good of placing but I lost to some LEGIT players. I recorded some utterly BRILLIANT matches where I use tires to great effect, I'll upload them soon as well! :)

And thank you Joker, that means a lot :D

Labernash

Smash Lord
Did GTEX DACUS twice in match today. Woo!

I buffered the crud outa it. I followed up with a side smash for a KO. It was awesome.

Labernash

Smash Lord
WOW!! That is so cool Labernash! Did you get it recorded?

Nope, unfortunately, my Wii is out of memory and I was just playing with my brother in a semi serious match; he was trying to go all beast mode on me. (3KO'd him) But, I have found I can GTEX bDACUS consistently. Whether or not I kill with a Side smash, or waft, that is always fun. Like on giant flow across the stage, then up! But, all my computers are going down, so I can't edit or upload my videos. But, I do have a nicce set I wanna put on here of my vs. Eggbomber, local Yoshi. I caught his down B with a bite. O.o

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Sooooo bump for what'd y'all think about the Tire Section of this thread? Good? Bad? Ugly? Fricken awesome?

WOW I should totally make a video that is a summary of the Tire section! Like you could watch the video to get the basic gist of things, then to go more in depth you could read this thread! Totally rad!

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Sweet, totally forgot about that AT :p I can add that to the AT thread next! Did you want to make a write-up xzx? Just include a little info about the AT, useful situations and most importantly a how-to section!

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I didn't even know about that. We need any extra range we can get! I'll try and make good use of it when playing.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
As an aside, the video is incorrect. It's just that you can do a Forward Smash during the first few frames of a dash. It's called Stutter Stepping, and you only get extra distance if you wait for your dash to move a bit. You C-Stick a few frames after you dash.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
A great combo i use, maybe its know idk:

lets say they are 0-10% and dependent on weight.. *tire in hand* Bite>Glidetoss tire forward (full length)>Jab>Grab>pummel>Fthrow (42damage :) ) This right here has some potential against falco because you can do bite>bite then if you can pull it off somehow with some tweaks and maybe a few extra pummels, it can lead up to a buffer chaingrab. pretty good setup imo.

^ potential 0-120 combo on falco :)

@some ******* about to say "wont work, there are no combos in brawl": yes you might be able to DI the bite, tire throw, jab.. whatever. I say its worth a shot. Risk vs reward is in our favor, greatly for that matter.

And you'd look like a badass if you can pull it off.

Discuss?

Edit: oh, and there might be something gay on diddykong with a banana instead of a tire throw:

I have thought about: bite>Full gidetoss forward naner> jab > (this is where you MUST dash even though u can grab him without dashing) slight dash grab> dthrow (if you dont dash grab, the dthrow wont make him land back on the banana and slip) > Full waft.. MAJOR damage.

^ situational, yes, and i think diddy can jump out between bite>naner throw or even airdodge at some point.

still maybe some potential :)

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Wow that is sooooo sick Dyno! I'll try and put that in the video, sounds awesome!

The great thing about DI in brawl, is that if you read it correctly you can still have the upper hand. In one match of Krystedez (Wario) vs Be@st (Luigi), Kryz did the dthrow -> tire hit -> Fsmash a few times and landed it. Then the luigi player started to SDI the tire and double jump, which Krys was able to read with an Uair for the kill.

Even if something is not completely guaranteed, that doesn't mean that it won't ever work. The trick is to continue to develop new things, keep mixing it up so they have to expect multiple options at any given point.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Dyno, do you mean Glide Toss down throw and MOVE forward, or Glide Toss throwing the tire forward? Anything that might have some reward is perfect. We're freakin' Wario.

I watched a few videos of M2K vs. Ally on the MK boards, and Ally went Wario on him. (Also Cpt. Falcon. I cried at how well he did. Almost won.) But, Ally did a Short Hop Down Throw and Clapped to catch the tire, also clapping M2K. He could do it a couple times in a row. Seems useful enough?

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
I totally know the exact video you're talking about Labernash! That single combo (SH Dthrow tire (hit)-> Uair (regrab) -> Sh Dthrow tire (hit) -> Uair) was literally my INSPIRATION for starting to use tires! I never knew that you could do cool stuff like that, but really that was just the tip of the iceberg!

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Dyno, do you mean Glide Toss down throw and MOVE forward, or Glide Toss throwing the tire forward? Anything that might have some reward is perfect. We're freakin' Wario.
Full length glide toss forward so you can slide towards them and hit them with the tire to get the hitstun on them to combo off. Also gives them 9 damage :)

B.Mack

Smash Ace
the small tire does more damage than the big one and also goes further when thrown.
I've tried the bite > GT naner combo on Diddy, it's difficult to pull off consistently, especially at the part where you have to dash to grab him. however, if you grab normally, dthrow, then fsmash immediately, he will either get hit or get pushed into the naner, which will make him trip again and give you a free hit anyway. I think Diddy can jump out of the way though, if he's frame perfect. but I'm not entirely sure.

Funky G

Smash Rookie
All I know is when I'm using Wario (Which is usually always) I knock my opponent into the air with "the clap", then hit them with Wario's standard air attack, then hit em' with a corkscrew and finish them off with a Wario Waft. (Usually when it's 50%-100% charged.) And if there not dead I just do it again.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
the small tire does more damage than the big one and also goes further when thrown.
I've tried the bite > GT naner combo on Diddy, it's difficult to pull off consistently, especially at the part where you have to dash to grab him. however, if you grab normally, dthrow, then fsmash immediately, he will either get hit or get pushed into the naner, which will make him trip again and give you a free hit anyway. I think Diddy can jump out of the way though, if he's frame perfect. but I'm not entirely sure.
ide like to get a vid up, but i cant record anymore.

Maybe if i get a replay, can someone upload it for me?

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Sure Dyno, I can upload it for ya no problemo! Lololol Funky G! I love the clap and the corkscrew, but my favorite move is the bellyflop xD

I've also been thinking about footstool options for Wario lately. Like, it's really hard to get a footstool from any of Wario's normal moves, they just don't quite exactly line up nicely if ya know what I mean. However, if you hit someone in the air with a tire, you can link that into a footstool ala Link's bombs! From there you can regrab the tire, drop a weak Nair on em to lock em on the ground, tire lock, lead into a 99% charged fart.... oh man I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it.....

xzx

Smash Lord
Sweet, totally forgot about that AT :p I can add that to the AT thread next! Did you want to make a write-up xzx? Just include a little info about the AT, useful situations and most importantly a how-to section!
Well okay! =O

This AT gives Wario a little extra range to his f-smash. Very useful after a spot dodge, but extending it everytime is fine as well. The Reflex Wonder: "You can do a Forward Smash during the first few frames of a dash. It's called Stutter Stepping, and you only get extra distance if you wait for your dash to move a bit. You C-Stick a few frames after you dash." Just hit the control stick and the c-stick about the same time! =P

Is there any more information to include? =P

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Haha we're gonna need more than that :)

1. Most widely used name of this technique (Stutter Step)

2. Explain the move (history, what the AT IS exactly)

3. Useful scenarios, combos made possible by this technique (if any, which there are!)

4. Explanation of exactly how to perform this technique (inputs, timings, etc)

Basically make a helpful guide for newer people to easily understand how to perform the move! Refer to my other entries in the AT thread for ideas!

Funky G

Smash Rookie
Oh and just a heads up when you grab someone with Wario throw them in the opposite direction your facing to do the most damage. Don't worry I tested it.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Any means of comboing a Forward Smash from N-Air becomes more viable with this; it allows you to do it at higher percents than if you didn't, because the N-Air sends people too far away after a point.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Funky G you may want to have your tests reviewed before you post them again. Oh and Buttered Toast Man FTW!

Yes Reflex, Nair to Fsmash is legit at mid percentages (like around 80% maybe), too bad that's not in killing percent! Good news though, Dthrow Glidetoss to Fsmash will work till Super High percentages, since tires have a set knockback! :)

xzx

Smash Lord
Haha we're gonna need more than that :)

1. Most widely used name of this technique (Stutter Step)

2. Explain the move (history, what the AT IS exactly)

3. Useful scenarios, combos made possible by this technique (if any, which there are!)

4. Explanation of exactly how to perform this technique (inputs, timings, etc)

Basically make a helpful guide for newer people to easily understand how to perform the move! Refer to my other entries in the AT thread for ideas!
1) Extended F-smash aka Stutter Stepping

2) In the first few frames of a walk/dash, certain characters can extend their f-smashes. This AT makes Wario move a little bit more forward (extending it) than the normal F-smash. The hitbox will grow bigger than normal when stutter stepping. (Is there anything else to say?)

3) I don't know so much about combos, this is just some extra reach Wario gains. It is good to buffer and is good after a spot dodge! I bet there are some tire combos, grab combos and weak combos (like nair and fair) with this AT. Sorry but I don't know more.

4) Just smash the c-stick and the control stick (about/at) the same time, and there you go! Your poor ranged f-smash got less poor ranged! =) In the first few frames of a dash/walk, you can tilt the c-stick right/left and make your f-smash extended aka stutter stepping.

Is there anything more to say? I amn't so good at explaining, sorry! =( Maybe more people know this? You could refine my post or add something on your own if you want!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You don't get anything special out of a walk. The reason it's an AT in the first place is because you normally can't do a Forward Smash out of your run, but being able to do it allows for a quick shift in positioning beforehand.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Does anyone know how many frames Stutter stepping adds to an Fsmash? That would definitely be useful to know ;)

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I would assume you just add the start-up frames of your dash to the frames of the fsmash cuz the fsmash cancels the dash in this case. I think.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Hmm I see, that sounds true. Now all I need is debug mode lol... okay how bout I estimate hmmmmmm *2-3 frames*. I'll check it out in super slow-mo mode in a little bit.

Top Bottom