• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I felt like Classic Mode was fine though because, despite the number of times you had to do it, it was over with fairly quickly and rarely took up more than 15 minutes of your time, even on the higher difficulties. It was a fun little romp and you could reasonably blow through 4-5 characters in an hour's time.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The only fighting game that had a decent storyline was Injustice: God Among Us. I can't even think of anything past that.
BlazBlue and Guilty Gear games have competent storylines and more fleshed out characters. Granted it's still not the pinnacle of literature, but it's better then a lot of other fighting games.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Uhh.. so what's going on in here today? I hear talk about Impa being a lesbian..

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Add villians, do awesome face offs. And that's enough of a story. Mewtwo, King K.Rool and Ridley included as characters and I can create my own stories. Would like some sort of 1 Player Mode that is limitless regarding this. Many levels that'll test your skills with your character in various ways. Think break the targets, team face offs, beating bosses, all the like.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'm really not the biggest fan of the anime styled fighting games (Street Fighter is the exception if that counts). I came across BlazBlue on a whim on youtube, and was entranced by the animations and the mechanics. I didn't even know those games had stories. :laugh:

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Bowser got shot in the face, Mario feel into a bed of spikes, guts busted everywhere, real gross.

Also he wanted me to call you a *****.

You're a *****.

....What? Whatever I'm looking forward to the next Nintendo Direct it will probably have new footage.

Add villians, do awesome face offs. And that's enough of a story. Mewtwo, King K.Rool and Ridley included as characters and I can create my own stories. Would like some sort of 1 Player Mode that is limitless regarding this. Many levels that'll test your skills with your character in various ways. Think break the targets, team face offs, beating bosses, all the like.

Mewtwo isn't evil anymore.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Another reason why I think a story mode in Smash doesn't work well is due to how a good amount of characters are silent protagonists (such as Link). (Granted, this may be faulty reasoning.)

The silent protagonist works only when the story is centered in that character, like what happens in Zelda or in the Mario RPGs.

Having characters from games where the protagonist talks (Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus: Uprising) mixed with characters from games where the protagonist's speech is merely implied (Zelda, Mario RPGs) would look awkward to me.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It could be silene like the SSE, but without cutscenes. Just more fighting.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Surprisingly, there are actually not that many Nintendo characters that don't talk. Off the top of my head, the characters in Super Smash Bros. that prominently don't speak are Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Charizard, Ivysaur, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, Ness, Lucas, and R.O.B. Maybe Olimar, Donkey Kong, Villager, and Diddy Kong too, though that's more debatable.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Another reason why I think a story mode in Smash doesn't work well is due to how a good amount of characters are silent protagonists (such as Link). (Granted, this may be faulty reasoning.)

The silent protagonist works only when the story is centered in that character, like what happens in Zelda or in the Mario RPGs.

Having characters from games where the protagonist talks (Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus: Uprising) mixed with characters from games where the protagonist's speech is merely implied (Zelda, Mario RPGs) would look awkward to me.

I think entertaining silent protagonists only work in light hearted games, I'm not sure how important it is for them to be main characters. Mario in SMRPG and Paper Mario has always been extremely fun to watch as he mimes out stories energetically, and I think that'd translate just fine to Smash cutscenes, and Toon Link has been pretty expressive.

But yeah, forcing dialogue onto the mimes would definitely be awkward... which is kind of funny, because Mario and Link do talk in their games, just... y'know.
"Wahoo!"
"Hyah, hyit!"
"Here we go!"
"Hwarrrryiah!"
"... Um, okey dokie!"

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Olimar and the Pokemon talk albeit not in English,
All of the Kongs talked too, in DK64 to some degree. Well DK, Diddy and Chunky did as far as i know.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well I meant like characters capable of speaking with dialogue. If we're going to count characters that preform grunts like they're about to **** themselves, then that's pretty much everyone.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I guess you hate my guts then, minus the Final Destination. Battlefield is generally better, or stages that also use a similar formatting.
It's mostly hyperbole, and I actually know more about FE than most people who actually play the game do. I like the lore, fanon, and all that. I just hate actually playing the games myself, and hate discussing it with other fans (mostly my friends).

Also **** yeah Battlefield.

No I just commented bluntly... Of course I read the post :facepalm:, buthis reasons weren't that clear enough. He may have specific details to why he dislikes those things other than his"Intense sparring sessions" with his older brother.
:glare:

The post wasn't meant to be taken in a serious tone in the first place, lolz. Was meant in the "And that's how Equestria was made" tone.

What did your brother do to make you hate all those wonderful things? :ohwell:
See above, t'was mainly a joke. But I hate FD for a number of reasons that may or may not be superfluous. The main being even my casual friends/family pick it repeatedly and no other stage because of the "balance" it brings to fights. Above all, I hate repetition and blandness (lack of variety, I guess is a better term). I can actually tolerate and enjoy it from time to time.

Most guys were homophobic to some degree at least in one point in their life.
Explains why I never was. Not that I mind, considering I was raised in the most homophobic, racist, xenophobic and just plain judgmental environment out there. Didn't contest/be very outspoken about it much, considering life never stopped just because anyone hurt my feelings or I came upon someone who's ideals and opinions were different from my own.

Impa had a lot of patience... and free time...

fan fiction

That's my shtick.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Adventure mode should randomly select five or six opponents. Each opponent should have a level or two from their game that has to be completed before the battle against them. That way Bowser could complete a short temple Hyrule style and Ganondorf can purchase a house in Animal Crossing or whatever you do in that game.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Adventure mode should randomly select five or six opponents. Each opponent should have a level or two from their game that has to be completed before the battle against them. That way Bowser could complete a short temple Hyrule style and Ganondorf can purchase a house in Animal Crossing or whatever you do in that game.

If it's gonna open up individual levels like that, I think I'd want to be able to choose my character and the level at will instead of randomly. Character specific rewards like special move trophies could be based off of which % of the little character levels you've completed with the trophy character... And specific, useful unlocks like new characters would be unlocked from just beating the level with the right character (usually the cannon character, beat Link's world with Link to unlock Ganondorf and his level).

... Character levels would be rather short, like an event match taped together with a short sidescrolling level relevant to their series.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Frost showed me some pictures comparing the two versions of link if you look at the design of the bows it is definitely modeled after the TP Model. Same goes for the bombs. You can go to the Toon Link thread and see this comparison.
I've seen the comparisons. He looks more like his own design that draws influences from the others. Just because he has bombs and bows that look the same doesn't make it JUST the TP look.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
BlazBlue and Guilty Gear games have competent storylines and more fleshed out characters. Granted it's still not the pinnacle of literature, but it's better then a lot of other fighting games.
It's good enough to get an anime adaption.

Then again, 50 Shades of Grey is getting a movie adaption.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
These Pokemon puns are
-ceptable

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I've seen the comparisons. He looks more like his own design that draws influences from the others. Just because he has bombs and bows that look the same doesn't make it JUST the TP look.
I don't think I follow what your getting at. If the items and desgin of the items and character are the same as the game they came from, shouldn't that be sufficient evidence?
It's a very similar model to Brawl's TP desgin with more saturated colors (Which Sakurai said all characters will receive this treatment) and use of hair shaders. I'm seeing little to no traces of SS in this Link.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't think I follow what your getting at. If the items and desgin of the items and character are the same as the game they came from, shouldn't that be sufficient evidence?
It's a very similar model to Brawl's TP desgin with more saturated colors (Which Sakurai said all characters will receive this treatment) and use of hair shaders. I'm seeing little to no traces of SS in this Link.
Ironically, Brawl Link doesn't look all that much in the face in comparison to TP Link. His eyes in Brawl are smaller. Like I said, I like to think of it more as influences. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the color saturation in the art direction did not partially come from Skyward Sword. In this case, he's like Fox. Unlike Fox though, Link's basic wardrobe has been kept the same practically since 1986 with changes coming and going as design evolution, much like Samus. Fox, on the other hand, has had different outfits for every game from 64 and on.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
In which Link is SSB4 Link based on? One image to end it all: TP/Brawl Link, SSB4 Link and Skyward Sword Link will be compared.

[collapse="It's a huge image, by the way"]
[/collapse]

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
***** I better not be
money when I come back.
Untitled-2.png

In which Link is SSB4 Link based on? One image to end it all: TP/Brawl Link, SSB4 Link and Skyward Sword Link will be compared.

[collapse="It's a huge image, by the way"]
[/collapse]
Well, I figured he wasn't based on SS Link mainly because he doesn't have his eyes and lips.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Ironically, Brawl Link doesn't look all that much in the face in comparison to TP Link. His eyes in Brawl are smaller. Like I said, I like to think of it more as influences. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the color saturation in the art direction did not partially come from Skyward Sword. In this case, he's like Fox. Unlike Fox though, Link's basic wardrobe has been kept the same practically since 1986 with changes coming and going as design evolution, much like Samus. Fox, on the other hand, has had different outfits for every game from 64 and on.

Hmm... Yeah I would say that TP link has more of a chubbier face and bigger eyes than he does in Brawl. Not to mention the mirrored over hair parting and browner hair color.
Other than possibly the saturation, I'm not seeing no SS influences, in terms of his outfit design (who knows his moveset may incorporate so SS elements like Skyward Strike in some of his moves). This new link looks like he has been messing with eye liner
That said, I would like to believe that the characters that show up in Smash aren't one version in particular, instead they are a fusion of all the games they have appeared in.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am not sure how people are seeing this to. Fox and Mario look for the most part, unchanged from Brawl in design. Link does not. And Brawl Link was DEFINITELY Twilight Princess Link.

So to all naysayers: Gale Boomerang confirmation or gtfo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom