• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tekken Thread - THE KING OF IRON FIST!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

That's not reason enough.

For one, he's not a major character in EITHER series, and two, they are different Yoshimitsu.

You model Yoshimitsu after either of the two from Soul Calibur, then he represents Soul Calibur.
You model him after Tekken's, then he represents Tekken.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
^exactly, yoshimitsu isnt major or the face of either of those series. And he doesnt even have a consistent design since he changes more than any other character in either series.

alien803

Smash Cadet
That's not reason enough.

For one, he's not a major character in EITHER series, and two, they are different Yoshimitsu.

You model Yoshimitsu after either of the two from Soul Calibur, then he represents Soul Calibur.
You model him after Tekken's, then he represents Tekken.
...Or, you do him a Wario and give him an alt, with a new logo and everything.

And, regardless, he would still draw in a major crowd from both series, seeing as he is one of the major characters, having been in just about every one of both series' games.

And who cares if they're different Yoshis. They can just give him moves from both games anyway. They share the same moves.

D

Deleted member

That still doesn't change the fact that neither Yoshimitsu are major characters for their series.

You want a Tekken rep? Heihachi's your man.
Soul Calibur? Pick Nightmare.

Having a niche character for the sole reason as to "rep both series" is stupid.

It's not like Ryu Hayabusa where he is the main character of Ninja Gaiden while being a major character in Dead or Alive.

alien803

Smash Cadet
That still doesn't change the fact that neither Yoshimitsu are major characters for their series.

You want a Tekken rep? Heihachi's your man.
Soul Calibur? Pick Nightmare.

Having a niche character for the sole reason as to "rep both series" is stupid.
it's not stupid! It appeases both series' fans, making it a good marketing maneuver as well. Sakurai or someone might think about this. The Tekken producer has said he doesn't want to push Tekken characters into the game because they might not appeal to fans, but what if he thinks they want a Soul character?

Also, yes, Yoshimitsu is major to Soul and Tekken. He was in almost every one of both series' games.

alien803

Smash Cadet
Oh, and Yoshi has a very big fanbase, as seen by the numerous posts about him.

D

Deleted member

It's very unlikely that the Tekken producer will say anything about a Soul Calibur character, first off.

Second, the fact that there is a Yoshimitsu in Tekken that is quite similar to the one in Soul Calibur, and he is unsure Smash fans would want a Tekken character.....why would this change because of yet another series that he'd likely be unsure of as well?

Third, being in almost every game in the series doesn't constitute "major". He's never been a main character; that's always the likes of Heihachi, Kazuya, and Jin in Tekken, as well as the likes of Seigfried, Nightmare, and Mitsurugi in Soul Calibur.
If being in almost every game meant that they were a major character, then Anna is more of a major character than Marth in the Fire Emblem series since she's been in every game except for Gaiden. Are you REALLY going to argue that Anna is more of a major character than Marth, now?

Fourth, judging fanbases by number of posts on a board is a poor evaluation. You want to argue for large fanbase, you're going to need statistics. In this case, specific statistics that prove Yoshimitsu has a larger fanbase than the characters I just mentioned.

Cool Daddy Booty Funk

Smash Cadet
Honestly I could see Yoshi as a possibility. Like stated, he is in both Tekken and Soul Caliber, so it covers two series. Also, his moveset is fun, quirky, and borderline cartoonish. Of all the characters it would probably fit the SSB style of gameplay.

Honestly though, there are better reps from both series, and in my opinion there are better characters from Namco in general.

peeup

Smash Lord
To play devil's advocate, Heihachi appeared in Soul Calibur as well.

But I'd rather have Yoshimitsu. He's a more fun character.

But if its gonna be anyone, its gonna be Heihachi.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
So i'm bringing this back to the front.

1. I'm wondering what others think about this.

2. I'm starting to like the idea of Mokujin.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I think pretty much anyone could show up, Heihachi, Jin, Mokujin, Kuma, King, and even Yoshimitsu.
Who knows maybe we'll get a DLC pack with three of them or something like that, why not.
But anyway Mitsu is not niche. I'm not a big Tekken guy except I bought Tournament 2 a month ago, before that he was the only one I knew well from the series, because of his weird/awesome moves (which also, would apply VERY GOOD to Smash Bros., better than anyone's else moves, who played Tekken and Soul surely knows that).
His chances are not that good but who cares, the obvious choice isn't always the best one.
I don't know how many here would prefer Heihachi over Yoshimitsu. I surely don't, after seeing how boring he could be thanks to Playstation All-Stars.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
it's not stupid! It appeases both series' fans, making it a good marketing maneuver as well. Sakurai or someone might think about this.
yes, it is completely stupid

smash isn't a goddamned marketing booth, stop thinking it is

Also, yes, Yoshimitsu is major to Soul and Tekken. He was in almost every one of both series' games.
no

number of apperances =/= significance to series

if that were true, then scorpion and sub-zero are also the "main characters" in mk

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Just to add to Metal's post, within the Tekken series, Heihachi has made more appearances in media more than any other character with only Nina Williams trailing behind with two less appearance. Heihachi appeared in a tennis game, PSABR, and SC2. Nina had her own game with Death By Degrees. Both of these characters are either main characters at some point in the series, or are important enough in the series due to relationships with other characters. If we go by this logic, Heihachi or Nina would be the optimal picks. Personally, I wouldn't mind Nina in Smash, though people will get her confused with Zamus.

Problem with Yoshimitsu in Smash is that he has an incredibly large moveset. With Smash's current design, this would be extremely difficult if not impossible to properly adapt to Smash Bros. I can already imagine it was a considerable effort just to streamline him and a lot of the Tekken characters for Street Fighter X Tekken.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If we really have to get a Tekken character, make it Heihachi. I say this and I find him an incredibly tough matchup in Tag 2.

Let Nina be inspiration for Impa (I can totally see Impa doing Blonde Bomb.).

D

Deleted member

if that were true, then scorpion and sub-zero are also the "main characters" in mk
....That's actually kind of true.
Scorpion in general is the mascot of the series (even used for NetherRealm's logo IIRC), with Subby not falling that far behind.

Now for Tekken talk; should Heihachi (if he was in Smash) pull a Wario and have colors sets for Old AND Young Heihachi? Or just Old, just Young, a mix of both depending on the color, etc.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
scorpion and sub-zero play a small role in mk which is a story-intensive series (as far as fighting games go, at least)

they aren't really major characters on the level of say liu kang or raiden or shao kahn, they're just the most iconic

basically, they're in the same situation yoshimitsu is in hehe

btw, i say alt colors for both old and young, just for the lulz

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Heihachi has the best chance no doubt. But Yoshimitsu is also cool choice in my eyes. As for the whole Young Heihachi/Old Heihachi thing, I couldn't care less. I will say that the younger look is more likely given that it's the most current one. Then again that could pull a Solid Snake on us and we get the more "classic" version of the character. I just want to see the if the pimp suit he wore makes another come-back. Mostly because it should have never left.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'm not sure Heihachi has the more chance to get in since he's in PSABR already. Nintendo will probably want to differentiate the game.
And also Yoshimitsu simply looks better and has a far more interesting moveset but I understand that's not a point. Just saying.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Yeah the reason was more due to the fact that they wanted to advertise the upcoming Metal Gear game. I doubt they cared that much about Snake being in Brawl. except maybe because they wanted to diversify from Brawl a little more which is understandable.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Besides, Raiden was actually pretty fun to use in a brawler.

Anyway, yeah. PSASBR shouldn't stop a perfectly good Namco character from getting into Smash.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Ultimately, Heihachi is the best choice.
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here; wouldn't Kazuya have the potential to be a more interesting addition than his pops? He's a bit more mobile and could have a unique playstyle by switching in and out of his Devil form like in Tekken Tag 2.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Considering Harada said he was worried about a Tekken rep not meshing well with Smash, Kazuya has no chance because of that. Heihachi at least can fit in.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
If SSB did go down the Tekken route, I think by far the most likely representation would have to be Jin Kazama (Protagonist of most Tekken games and most popular character)
I wouldn't even bother discussing anyone else in this thread as being the main representative.

Lars may be a new protagonist of sorts, but he was not very well received and is disliked by many. Nowhere near as popular as Jin and Kazuya.

Heihachi is significant to the story. But he's very unpopular and might be a waste of a spot occupy-able by a character who will make more people want to buy the game (Sakurai said this is the main criteria used in character selection).

The only hope I would hold out is that my favourite character Kazuya would be made a clone since he would have to be the most likely second addition (an unlikely prospect in itself).

Poll I found giving an indication as to character popularity:
http://www.quibblo.com/quiz/dsWEOxU/Favorite-Tekken-Character

1) Jin = 268 votes
2) Hwoarang = 238
3) Kazuya = 198
4) Lili = 178
5) King = 160
6) Ling = 156
7) Asuka = 150
8) Nina = 145
9) Lars = 142
10) Jun = 137
11) Yoshimitsu and Steve = 136

I'm not sure what geographical or cultural demographic this poll best represents so I would be interested to see a Japan only poll of the same kind if anyone could find one. I know Kazuya is extremely popular over there so he might be a bit higher.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Considering Harada said he was worried about a Tekken rep not meshing well with Smash, Kazuya has no chance because of that. Heihachi at least can fit in.
How does he fit in less than Heihachi? They both look like generic martial artists, but Kaz can transform into a flying blue demon-thingy that shoots lasers out of its eyes. Some existing Smash characters are more "normal" than that.

Besides, Snake's inclusion in Brawl kinda threw any fit arguments out the window.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
How does he fit in less than Heihachi? They both look like generic martial artists, but Kaz can transform into a flying blue demon-thingy that shoots lasers out of its eyes. Some existing Smash characters are more "normal" than that.

Besides, Snake's inclusion in Brawl kinda threw any fit arguments out the window.
You know Sakurai commented on how it's hard to make guests to fit into the Smash world.

The Snake in brawl argument doesn't work because that statement that i just mentioned was said fairly recently.

Then theres the fact that Heihachi's personality, his comical roles, and the fact he isn't that serious anymore makes him a much better fit. Kazuya is overly serious and his Devil form would be.....strange in the smash world to say the least.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Heihachi isn't getting in as the main Tekken rep. He's not popular enough.
Sure he fits into SSB slightly better than someone like Kazuya. But that's hardly going to make a difference when a poll can show him to be as low as the 20th most popular Tekken character!

First party characters are often included largely in order to represent a Nintendo game that deserves representation (and to give it market exposure).

Sakurai has no reason to represent a game that Nintendo has little to do with (a third party game).

So Why do they include third party characters?
Purely to generate excitement about Super Smash Brothers and not much else.

Therefore if Tekken gets a rep, it will be character with great popularity to attract people to the SSB franchise.
Not just someone like Heihachi in there just for the purpose of representing a non Nintendo game who won't generate as much interest.

Jin is our main man.
Kazuya is the most likely clone (unlikely enough in itself) due to his huge popularity in Japan.
Heihachi is in with but a dreamers hope of being a Jin clone.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Heihachi isn't getting in as the main Tekken rep. He's not popular enough.
Sure he fits into SSB slightly better than someone like Kazuya. But that's hardly going to make a difference when a poll can show him to be as low as the 20th most popular Tekken character!
Yeah, that unofficial poll that you used really means a lot.

First party characters are often included largely in order to represent a Nintendo game that deserves representation (and to give it market exposure).
You don't say? always wanted to use that line here lol

Sakurai has no reason to represent a game that Nintendo has little to do with (a third party game).
Obviously they have little to do with Nintendo. The point of this thread was to give the third most popular Namco choice a support thread. Nothing more.

Therefore if Tekken gets a rep, it will be character with great popularity to attract people to the SSB franchise.
Not just someone like Heihachi in there just for the purpose of representing a non Nintendo game who won't generate as much interest.
You based this off an unofficial poll. I'd be more inclined to argue if you showed me how high/low Heihachi would be on a official poll.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I'm not just basing it on that poll.
I just saw that poll this morning yet I've been saying Heihachi isn't popular enough for months.

Admittedly I would have thought he would be higher than 20th. More like 10th, but even then it's still just not worth it for Nintendo to pay the royalties and use up a spot on the roster for a third party character who would generate so little excitement compared to other characters in his series. Honestly, it's just not happening.

I'm just surprised that people think it's likely to be anyone other than Jin.

You don't say? always wanted to use that line here lol
You cut off my point half way through to be able to use it :laugh:

It's more powerful with the Nic Cage pic anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom