• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tekken Thread - THE KING OF IRON FIST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
You know Sakurai commented on how it's hard to make guests to fit into the Smash world.

The Snake in brawl argument doesn't work because that statement that i just mentioned was said fairly recently.
Doesn't mean it couldn't be done though and really, the unfitness factor applies to Heihachi as well. The only Tekken characters that are weird enough to "fit in" with Smash are not important enough to be considered as a series rep.

Then theres the fact that Heihachi's personality, his comical roles, and the fact he isn't that serious anymore makes him a much better fit. Kazuya is overly serious and his Devil form would be.....strange in the smash world to say the least.
But there are already a handful of stoic/serious characters in Smash(Marth, Roy, Ike, Ganondorf among others). And the Devil thing is precisely what would make him interesting! (same goes for Jin I guess)

D

Deleted member

So, Heihachi is "unfit", yet Kazuya and Jin are not?

I fail to see the logic in a man who gives electrocuting noogies, owns a sparring, farting bear, and does over the top things to his family (throwing down a waterfall, tossing in a volcano, sending them to space tied to a shuttle, kicking them into Earth's atmosphere from another shuttle, etc.) being unfit for Smash.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I fail to see the logic in a man who gives electrocuting noogies, owns a sparring, farting bear, and does over the top things to his family (throwing down a waterfall, tossing in a volcano, sending them to space tied to a shuttle, kicking them into Earth's atmosphere from another shuttle, etc.) being unfit for Smash.
Re-read his post:
"the unfitness factor applies to Heihachi as well".

Heihachi being the only or main Tekken representative in SSB4 would be an unexpected shock. In fact that's a huge understatement since it's just so left of field and unlikely.

1) Heihachi is the prominent villain over the course of the series (Villains are never the main representation or ever even included without their protagonist).

2) He's one of the least popular central characters in the series.
This is the money point. To fork out the royalties and use up a space in the roster over a nintendo rep isn't worth it unless they get the character that will generate the most possible excitement and interest in SSB4... like Sonic and Snake did.

3) Having a bit of a comic relief role in Tekken isn't going to make much of a difference at all in comparison to the two points above.

Jin is the most likely by far since he's been the protagonist of most games and is THE most popular character. This isn't a debate worth having it's just so obvious.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't know whether it matters, but Heihachi was selected in Playstation All-Stars with no other Tekken character with him.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yea i'm not too familiar with Tekken or anything so that was basically the only thing I could add to the conversation lol

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Yeah I just did a bit of reading and it appears that Heihachi is the creator of Tekken's favourite character.
That's why he is promoted everywhere lately with his new youthful look, has been in each game and is offered in third party games like Playstation All stars and Soul Calibur.

That certainly would improve his chances in some ways.
However you could say appearing in SSB's direct PlayStation equivalent and competitor could be a detract from his chances in other ways.

Either way it's odd how the Tekken creator persists with this character despite no one else liking him....

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah I just did a bit of reading and it appears that Heihachi is the creator of Tekken's favourite character.
That's why he is promoted everywhere lately with his new youthful look, has been in each game and is offered in third party games like Playstation All stars and Soul Calibur.

That certainly would improve his chances in some ways.
However you could say appearing in SSB's direct PlayStation equivalent and competitor could be a detract from his chances in other ways.

Either way it's odd how the Tekken creator persists with this character despite no one else liking him....
Heihachi is popular is his own right. Just not as popular as Jin and Kazuya.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He's not even in the top 10 popular Tekken characters.
Pretty week for a character promoted as shamelessly as him.
Is Mario the most popular Smash character?

Is Ryu the most popular Street Fighter character?

No. However they are both popular, just not as popular as some others.

peeup

Smash Lord
If Namco thinks that Heihachi is the flagship Tekken character (which they do... see Soul Calibur II and PSASBR) then if we're going to see a Tekken rep, I'm 99% positive it will be Heihachi.

I'd rather see Kuma or Roger, though they aren't iconic like Heihachi is. Jin and Kazuya are on par with Heihachi, but for whatever reason Namco prefers Heihachi to represent the Tekken franchise.

Maybe we'll see a tag team and/or partner character consisting of Heihachi and Kuma? Would be the best of both worlds (iconic characters, preferred rep, child friendly tv watching bear) and would make sense, Kuma being Heihachi's pet and all.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Is Mario the most popular Smash character?

Is Ryu the most popular Street Fighter character?

No. However they are both popular, just not as popular as some others.
Does Mario cost a fortune in royalties without promoting a home grown franchise?
No.
He is the most popular Mario character though...

Does Ryu's popularity (or for that matter Mario's) have any relevance to my statement that Heihachi is not very popular?
No.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Does Mario cost a fortune in royalties without promoting a home grown franchise?
No.
He is the most popular Mario character though...

Does Ryu's popularity (or for that matter Mario's) have any relevance to my statement that Heihachi is not very popular?
No.
I'm just saying that "poster boys" are typically not all that popular.

Heihachi is the poster boy of Tekken.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I'm just saying that "poster boys" are typically not all that popular.

Heihachi is the poster boy of Tekken.

(There's two prominent covers for 6)

It appears he's the poster boy of 1 Tekken game.
Whilst Jin takes the role for 3 games, Kazuya for 1.5 and Lars for 0.5.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Whoops. You win.

peeup

Smash Lord
Doesn't matter if he's the posterboy, Namco clearly likes when he represents the franchise. See: PSASBR, Soul Calibur II.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Doesn't matter if he's the posterboy, Namco clearly likes when he represents the franchise. See: PSASBR, Soul Calibur II.
Obviously to some degree It does matter who the poster boy is. But the truth is there's just a more complex interplay of factors involved.

Heihachi's lack of popularity and being an antagonist would mean that there's barely a bone in Sakurai's body that would want him to be the main SSB representation.

However, the Tekken powers that be could lower the royalty fee's for Heihachi or otherwise encourage his selection/refuse others.

peeup

Smash Lord
I don't think Sakurai gets a real say in this case, considering Namco is helping to create the game. I think its mostly up to Namco.

Also Smash needs moar villains.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I don't think Sakurai gets a real say in this case, considering Namco is helping to create the game. I think its mostly up to Namco.

Also Smash needs moar villains.
Sakurai not getting a say? In the game that is produced by a one man dictatorship?

peeup

Smash Lord
Alright, not exactly what I meant. I mean I feel like Namco probably has a pretty big say in it, not as much influence as Sakurai, but probably close. Full disclosure, I have no idea what the process of producing a video game is, but if Namco has enough involvement in the game as I am led to believe that they do, I think they would be allowed to choose their own rep, within reason. And I think Heihachi is within reason. He's no worse than Snake.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
IF we got a Tekken character I have a strong feeling it would beHeihachi, and if not him, Jin, or even less likely Kazuya, King, or Yoshimitsu.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As it's been mentioned, Heihachi has an edge over Kaz and Jin simply because he's not serious 100% of the time and has quite the troll sense of humor. There's also the ham factor, something his SF counterpart, Bison also has that would not make his presence in Smash Bros. so jarring.

Mind you that we have one series without humor, Metroid, but aside from arguably that one game, the series was never melodramatic like Kaz and Jin are.

I also noticed that Heihachi appears in some capacity for every cover except for T1 and T5. He shows up on at least the NA covers for Tag 1 and Tag 2 as well. Thing is his absence on both the T1 and T5 covers made sense at the time. T1 led you to believe Kazuya was the good guy and focused on the playable characters in general. T5 deliberately has you misled that Heihachi was dead which would explain his deceptive absence.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think the whole poster boy thing isn't exactly important.

Quite honestly, I don't think Smash Bros. is going to get a Tekken character anyway.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I think the whole poster boy thing isn't exactly important.

Quite honestly, I don't think Smash Bros. is going to get a Tekken character anyway.
Yeah, this whole tread is little more than fantasy speculation to be honest.

Interesting to see that the majority seem to think Heihachi would be our man. Definitely not what I expected.
I'd be majorly disappointed if we got a Tekken rep and it was just that old bland bad guy that no one likes. But I guess it's better than nothing.

Onto movesets which haven't been discussed yet...
Standard moves are very obvious for a Tekken rep but you would have to be a little more creative with their specials.
Assuming we get someone like Heihachi or Jin what do we think their special moves would be like?

I'd think a side B similar to Marth's except more hits would suite well. It would be a classic Tekken style combo of hits with juggling and the lot. Maybe more like 7-8ish possible hits if you time it right instead of Marth's 4.

Any other ideas?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As much as I love King, there's simply no way a character like him could be properly adapted from his Tekken incarnation to Smash. Things like his crouch dash, Jaguar Step, running grabs, etc. that are major parts of him simply would not be done justice. Simply put, King has one of the larger movesets in the game, something that only characters like Xiaoyu, Lei, Eddie, Christie, and Yoshimitsu really outdo him in moveset size. An alternative caption for the pic above would be:

You call those chain grabs?

I'll show you chain grabs.

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
I love Hwarang but the 3rd party characters must be the iconic from their series. Namco characters must be Pac-Man, Kazuya and Siegfried.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
^It's funny how everyone sees the biggedt icon of Tekken as being a different character.
Some see it as Jin, some see it as Kazuya and some see it as Heihachi.

In the end I think we will only get Pacman. Althought I would scream if we got Kazuya.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman

That's not what I said, though. The three Mishimas have about the same degree of "fitness"
based on their characteristics;

Hei:
- Original baddie, has appeared in every installment since.
- Has shown a more comical side of his character through crossover games and joke endings, among others.

Kaz:
- Original protagonist, has remained a central villain/anti-hero/anti-villain in all but one Tekken since.
- His Devil form gives him the potential to be more than just a martial artist.

Jin:
- Current poster-boy of the series.
- See Kaz.

I just happen to value the possibilities that Kaz's (and by the same extent, Jin's)
transformation could bring to the table more Hei's cutscene antics, that's all.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, Lars has seemingly become the latest poster boy, being the latest protagonist while Jin takes Kaz's place as an antagonist.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
To be fair, Lars has seemingly become the latest poster boy, being the latest protagonist while Jin takes Kaz's place as an antagonist.
And don't forget that he and robo waifu Alisa are anime as hell. Seriously, those two look like they're straight out of a mecha anime and you can really see it in their moves. This even gets lampshaded in Street Fighter X Tekken. Sakura and Blanka think he's some toukusatsu character.

Though I'd say that Jin is more of an anti-villain than a straight out villain.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Added a list of movesets i'll make in the future. I also made Alisa's moveset. (Listed as character who would not get in)

D

Deleted member

And don't forget that he and robo waifu Alisa are anime as hell. Seriously, those two look like they're straight out of a mecha anime and you can really see it in their moves. This even gets lampshaded in Street Fighter X Tekken. Sakura and Blanka think he's some toukusatsu character.

Though I'd say that Jin is more of an anti-villain than a straight out villain.
He is?
So he didn't go the full path of evil like his father?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom