• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BBR: A failed experiment (or: why you should not join the BBR)

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
There have been people who made alts and used then later to troll with older join dates. Just gonna throw that out there.

I'm still gonna ask about what to do with people who play Smash but don't visit SWF, they can be cut off while being responsible with insight.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Nope, even melee and smash 64 back rooms arent as classified. If you take a look at their new tier list they have a ton of data on who votes how and what character they mained, a bunch of stats, etc. etc.

Elections sound like a terrible idea only because of how terribly impractical they would be.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Still, though, just tossing ideas around. What about polls on things like rules, stages, and characters, in addition to member institution?

If we had just the BBR vote on it, or had the entire SWF userbase(filtered properly, of course) vote on it, wouldn't that effectively:
- Make the BBR not do "nothing," as BPC and others claim?
- Help provide desired ruleset changes to the competitive community?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Oh and btw, for everyone who defends the secrecy of the bbr, answer this;

Name 1 other competitive game which has a secluded group of people who withhold information about the game from the public, whos only wish is to learn more and be able to contribute to future discissions more effectively.
Name another game series that has an organization which help set-ups tournaments, rulesets, match-up charts, etc. They helped get in touch with MLG, something most game series would dream about getting set-up.

There are things the general public shouldn't talk about because they proved they can't handle it responsibly, which is why MK ban talk is shut down by the staff of the site.

It's also secluded to ensure only certain people can talk about issues or topics.

The knowledge stuff was updated in the BBR thread here, but Pierce stopped updating it. :/

Tagxy

Smash Lord

I see where this thread is headed, lmao. My mistake for posting here. For future reference however, if youre going to talk about melee or 64 you might want to spend 15 minutes on their boards.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
if I may

I made the post concerning the BBR (the funny joke)

it was meant to be a somewhat humorous way of expressing my opinion in a non inflammatory way.

This thread pretty much explained why. I honestly felt like my application had more merit (like legitamently) because of the lack of things that come from the BBR. I applaud marc( I think anyway) effort. I really do. But I think the BBR as an institution is failing.

I honestly asked multiple BBR members (I'm not giving names)as well as saw the BBR at one point ( I was at a BBR members house again not giving names).

My post was honestly not meant to be super funny, but I think the BBR needs to be dissolved and maybe reformed with a small base of people. I applaud the effort the BBR puts into this community (well some of the members) but how many times has the BBR posted something or taken action the community received positively? (abiet smash is drama)

PBC is right

Ripple and John numbers ( since I don't know them sorry) have honesty done more concrete stuff for the community than the BBR in the last idk year?

sorry if this seems somewhat of a rant. But I and I think a large portion of the community thinks the BBR is the "kool kids klub" for that purple name.

the activity of the BBR outside of mafia is just...smash lab status.....

although I think RPSI is actually on trying to revitalize the smashlab. it might help if we could make it more accessable for anyone in the community to want to join.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
yeah, sure, one thread was declassified
and much of that is already available on the open thread
but the current room is private
That was a clever evasion of his point.

The lengths people go to always seem right...

I'm with the idea of BBR becoming like the Debate Hall subforum. Can see, can't post.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace

Name 1 other competitive game which has a secluded group of people who withhold information about the game from the public, whos only wish is to learn more and be able to contribute to future discissions more effectively.
This times a billion.

-Ran

Smash Master
The match up section of the Back Room had 4,280 posts and almost 40,000 views. The Backroom is actually pretty active.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
You are probably going to hate me for bringing this up, as I can't possibly be the first to suggest it. However, after the release of the matchup chart I'm prompted to bring it up again. Someone remind me what the point of the matchup chart was again? It was to "spur discussion" about matchups, right? So why can't we see the logic behind the matchup decisions? Why can't we see what information was used to decide each ratio?
This is all I want honestly.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
The match up section of the Back Room had 4,280 posts and almost 40,000 views. The Backroom is actually pretty active.
because if you don't post, you get kicked out of the BBR :awesome:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
All I could do is post Lucario's stuff from the Lucario backroom for what we used for reasoning, but that's it. :/

finally someone is willing to communicate to the public

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Because of the skype chats, these were public anyways, alos approved to post in public. The rest I'm asking the LBR because it's their room and I'm not posting stuff that they don't want me to.

Lucario vs Jigglypuff.

She has zoning simular to Wario, however she lacks the fallspeed and livability he has which are very key in this match-up. Lucario can some moves that can trade with some of her aerials, Bair for example. She has a killing issue, a very large one. She dies the earliest of any character in the game, by the time she can kill Lucario's moveset is a kill move on her, not joking most of his move-set will kill up upfront. On the flip side her only reliable kill movets are Fair, Fsmash, and a gimp, most reliable being fair. Her grab game is fine, and shouldn't be overlooked. She doesn't make to commit to anything but the main issue is that even while she isn't commiting, she still has to be careful, mistakes will equal damage and the higher Lucario gets the easier it will be for him to kill her.

To give the benefit of the doubt, +2 seems to be the ratio given. She is underdeveloped, and experience against her is quite limited Maybe int he future we will be proven wrong, so a +3 is not called for, however until someone can prove it +2 is the only ratio that can be used at this time.

~

Lucario vs Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong has better kill power, people have acknowledged this, he also has better spacing, there are problems with this however. First off, his kill power is better when he lands it on a read, and the reads need to be pretty strong ones. He best Kill move to land is Dsmash, but that comes out on frame 10 and lasts quite a while with end lag, might have IASA frames not sure, Every kill move outside of Donkey Punch is punishable. His spacing is good until people look at how he spaces, Donkey Kong sppacing with hurtboxes, which Lucario can take advantage of. Pivot grabs can also shut down spaced Ftilt because of how he goes for the Ftilt, Lucario can grab the arm based ont he information given during the chat. Aura Sphere becomes MVP at high %, it beats out all of his spacing tools and kills. Lucario can juggle and shield poke really well in the MU, DK's shield isn't very good and things like dair can poke with other shield pressure, juggles are a results of his moveset in the air, in front of him he lacks options to fight off Lucario speed wise.

Both character can harass the other when recovering, Donkey Kong's bair will semi Wall of Pain Lucario is he is not careful and put him out farther. on the flip side, Lucario's Uair and Dair will beat out his UpB.

We are saying a 0, like I said before both characters have silly things on each other, but it's even when played out.

~

Lucario vs G&W.

Vinnie helped out with this info in the chat we had tonight. The match-up seems a lot about baiting each other to do certain actions and punishing it. Shutter step Fsmash beats out G&W's aerial approaches. However if he goes grounded or above Lucario he can to punish it, not sure about grounded completely. G&W can juggle Lucario pretty well, dair is not a universal answer in this match-up, G&W can wait to bait and punish it from the sides or just outright beat it with UpB if he times it right. G&W can tech chase Lucario on many fronts, such as Dthrow, teching landings, etc.

Lucario's Aura Sphere is good when Mr. G&W isn't off stage, offstage may seem like a good idea but really G&W has nothing to fear because Lucario can't follow up on it outside of maybe a fair. On stage is a different story, it's a good punishment tool that can bypass many of his moves, even if G&W buckets it, because of the after lag it can mean a free hit from Lucario afterwards. Lucario is looking to get hits in by staying on the ground more than going into the air.

They both can kill each other pretty well, Mr. G&W is better in the air, Lucario is better on the ground. A lot of it seems about baits and reads.

Going with a 0.

~

Lucario vs MK

Lucario can handle Dair camping, he can handle tornado easily, he can kill slightly better, he can outspace MK in many areas but this doesn't matter when looking everything else. Lucario is much slower on the ground, because of this Ftilt wrecks him if he get into shield, while Lucario can Fsmash and Aura sphere to beat this, they come out too slow at times, compared to MK's Ftilt which comes out pretty fast. Case in point it is almost always easier for MK to space than it is for Lucario to space MK.

The stage list gets him locked into a pick your poison situation, do you want to go to Delfino, Brinstar, or Rainbow Cruise. Based on the discussion Brinstar seemed to be the stage to ban, the others while not as bad still put Lucario into situations very unfavorable, On Fd or Pictochat this match-up is a lot better, but not many areas have picto and FD is almost always, as is should by MK, banned on Lucario.

Gimping and off stage is another issue, With smart DI and staying high, it is very likely Lucario can recover, but he is still in a bad position, MK may have bad air mobility, but Shuttle loop from below still can nail Lucario trying to go over him, put this is conjunction with the problems with landing, even with B reversals on aura sphere and stalling with dair, it a problem.

~
Marth:
Here are some things we noticed by watching vids and discussion via Skype. Fair beats out aura sphere untippered at 68%, 91% if tippered, if it’s fresh only, if staled the percentage is even lower, considering this is Marth fair is not going to be fresh if at all. Even with this, we noticed this doesn’t happen very often when fired on landing Marth or him in the air, this seems like it would influence the match-up a lot more but in videos in which we reviewed the match-up, like Trela vs Mike Haze for example, it didn’t happen or if it did very often. Marth does have the option but it doesn’t seem to be as reliable as people are making it out to be. And even if it can the % based facts about it when considering stale changes it, if Marth’s fair stales be even 1%, that means Lucario can be even lower in aura to have his Aura Spheres unchallenged y fair.

Aura sphere provides great reach for getting hits on Marth, Lucario does have moves that can contend in range. Offstage Lucario has ways to provide gimps in on Marth, believe it or not. Fair gimps are possible, just like Aura sphere , bair, dair, he has options to go for a gimp on Marth.

Rising fair is punishable, side B is DI able if you are close enough, uair forms some good uair traps on marth because his air dodge has issues landing though character, with Lucario he can stall in the air with dair to help prevent juggles. Marth is a character who it is better to sometimes challenge his spacing over air dodging during to his spacing and baiting game, trying to air dodge, this tactic seems to work pretty well. Air walking is good out of hit at low %, to get hits out on Marth. Fight him off stage when possible, shoot air sphere at him in the air, sometimes it is better to go with a BAS, Baby Aura Sphere, to land hits on Marth in the air or off stage. Off stage it helps because the end lag off firing it gives Lucario enough time to react to if Marth got hit, air dodged, or tried to fair it out.

Speaking of air dodges, Marth is actually a lot better to get uair traps on due to his air dodge being kind of poor. Marth has issues when Lucario is below him rather than side to side like he wants. Marth can defend with Dair which has notable lag, counter which won’t hit Lucario or stall with dancing blade, which still has him above Lucario with landing.

Shield Breaker is still just a mix-up, good Marth do use it as such but it’s not as important as the other aspects of the match-up. Marth could do something fancy like B reversed Shield breaker or landing mix-up but it’s not like it makes the match-up worse by any means, just that he has the option to use it, also it doesn’t garentee a broken shield, if it doesn’t break his shield it’s very punishable on block
Lucario should try to space up-close or outside of tipper range, this way he can keep himself outside or inside where the hits aren’t going to kill him, like tippered Fsmash, tippered fair, etc.

After consulting Lucario’s and asking others for things they know about the MU and thought, we are going with a 0.
This is on our boards and summaries I wrote for them when discussing discrepancies.

Maybe the BBR will do the same, who knows. This could be better for the community, maybe help get people closer, but it depends what happens that this point.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
There are things the general public shouldn't talk about because they proved they can't handle it responsibly, which is why MK ban talk is shut down by the staff of the site.
If the general public isn't capable of talking about it, shouldn't the general public then be allowed to read what IS good discussion? Keeping it secret is a poor excuse for this, and does nothing to alleviate the problem. Besides, at what merit does a player become good enough for the backroom? ADHD wins/places top 5 in national tournaments, yet he isn't in the BR. Even stranger is a player like Spadefox/Onishibu is in the BR, yet I have never seen his name is any kind of serious discussion.

Until the BBR becomes readable, the "quality" discussion they have back there has no benefit to the community.

ADHD joined the backroom but only stayed for a couple of days and quit for reasons beyond me.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
ADHD quit the BBR initially when he got in.

Anyways about secrets and such, I'm gonna leave it right there and say that is why I think they are doing what they are doing. I'm can't say my answers are ones of the BBR, because I'm not in it lol, but I can understand why they keep somethings secret.

The issue also is more so for the staff, because the last 4 MK debate threads ended in Trolling and flaming all the time. My guess is that they keep it silent so if the public overreacts to something it doesn't happen again.

/ninja'd

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
ADHD joined the backroom but only stayed for a couple of days and quit for reasons beyond me.
I think the reasons probably have to do with the issues this thread is trying to address.

ADHD quit the BBR initially when he got in.

Anyways about secrets and such, I'm gonna leave it right there and say that is why I think they are doing what they are doing. I'm can't say my answers are ones of the BBR, because I'm not in it lol, but I can understand why they keep somethings secret.

The issue also is more so for the staff, because the last 4 MK debate threads ended in Trolling and flaming all the time. My guess is that they keep it silent so if the public overreacts to something it doesn't happen again.

/ninja'd
Sorry for the misconception, and thanks for clearing it up.

Just because the public can't handle discussing (The banworthiness) of MK, does not mean that they can't handle reading about it. The BBR is producing nothing beneficial to the community. If the community could see this great discussion it would help everyone see "how it's done" by the posters mature enough to discuss it.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
didn't pierce say a couple months ago that the BBR would dicuss banning MK again come march or april?

or at least releasing some form of information about him?

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
A little off topic but it's been like, 3 years since Brawl came out. MK has been discussed inside and out, and there really hasn't been much brought to the table to change that. I doubt much is going to come out of the discussion, but hopefully we'll be able to read their discussion and see from the point of view of the upper tiered players, rather than discuss it between our lowly scrub selves.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I think the reasons probably have to do with the issues this thread is trying to address.

Sorry for the misconception, and thanks for clearing it up.

Just because the public can't handle discussing (The banworthiness) of MK, does not mean that they can't handle reading about it. The BBR is producing nothing beneficial to the community. If the community could see this great discussion it would help everyone see "how it's done" by the posters mature enough to discuss it.
It could, so I dunno I'm not in the BBR so they are keeping it secret.

They could read it, but that could lead to things going else were in other threads or people making threads about it, which is why things are kept secret so people don;t do that and act out of line.

That's generally why.

didn't pierce say a couple months ago that the BBR would dicuss banning MK again come march or april?

Shaya said that.

And for what I said before, not releasing the info is a good call on their part seeing as what happened the last four times.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
How is not releasing the info a good call? The only problem was the trolling, I thought.

Browny

Smash Hater
Reposting this quote also because I have an ego too big for one post.

Name another game series that has an organization which help set-ups tournaments, rulesets, match-up charts, etc. They helped get in touch with MLG, something most game series would dream about getting set-up.

It's also secluded to ensure only certain people can talk about issues or topics.

The knowledge stuff was updated in the BBR thread here, but Pierce stopped updating it. :/
And now, we take a look at all the other competitive games, many of which are FAR, FAR BIGGER than smash bros and more competitive with more players and prize money, and how well they operate without the need for such an organisation.

The BBR is completely and utterly redundant. The only reason it continues to exist, is because of the 'elite' connotation it has to it which continues to drive players to want to join it. It does not exist because we need it and it most definitely is not holding this community together.

Whilst yes, it does undertake projects with some significance such as stage lists and getting MLG on board, none of these require such a group to exist. EVERY SINGLE OTHER COMPETITIVE GAME IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD has proven that you dont need such a group to advance the game competitively, for the simple reason that none exist. Everything the BBR does could be done by an independent group such as the BRC or the public. I will say that yes, we would have had MLG sponsorship without the BBR since all other competitive games manage to do it, we have PLENTY of people who would work for it, the only difference is with smash, we simply let the BBR do it. If you take the BBR out of the picture, we are left with the EXACT same group of people, all equally capable as they were while they were in.

Seriously, any argument as to why the bbr NEEDS to exist is shot down instantly because its not like without it, we lose all those top players. The difference is, they dont need to seclude themselves from the public. If it wasnt obvious enough; remember to look at how every other competitive game functions without a group like the bbr, and tell me why we NEED it. BPC's first post goes into why we clearly do not need it I dont need to repeat it.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
A little off topic but it's been like, 3 years since Brawl came out. MK has been discussed inside and out, and there really hasn't been much brought to the table to change that. I doubt much is going to come out of the discussion, but hopefully we'll be able to read their discussion and see from the point of view of the upper tiered players, rather than discuss it between our lowly scrub selves.
no one has bothered doing what I am doing now

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
BPC, we're actually working on a project with stages (just started), I'm heading the effort.
See, this is what you should be doing.

You don't have to give us any details, just affirm for us that you're doing SOMETHING. People tend to be put at ease when they know that higher officials are actually working on stuff.

And on that note...

Shaya said that.

And for what I said before, not releasing the info is a good call on their part seeing as what happened the last four times.
Red said this in relation to the whole MK discussion behind the scenes in the BBR. However, I've been asking around, and I've been receiving mixed results on the matter.

Tell me, just so I know. Is ANYTHING going on regarding this matter? Don't be specific; just a yes or no will suffice.

Note: If you absolutely feel that the information shouldn't be made public, at the very least PM me about it for my own sake of mental security. I know how to keep a tight lid on information, so I'll keep it hush hush if necessary.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738

You don't have to give us any details, just affirm for us that you're doing SOMETHING. People tend to be put at ease when they know that higher officials are actually working on stuff.
That was being done here until it stopped being updated.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

And on that note...

Red said this in relation to the whole MK discussion behind the scenes in the BBR. However, I've been asking around, and I've been receiving mixed results on the matter.

Tell me, just so I know. Is ANYTHING going on regarding this matter? Don't be specific; just a yes or no will suffice.

Note: If you absolutely feel that the information shouldn't be made public, at the very least PM me about it for my own sake of mental security. I know how to keep a tight lid on information, so I'll keep it hush hush if necessary.
Again I'm not in the BBR, So I have no clue if they are planning something or not, although that was a big drop in info.

And I can't speak on anything that goes on in the staffer shack, which has many legit reasons far more legit than anything about the BBR, for not telling what happens there. As a mod I'm keeping my mouth shut on that stuff, because it wouldn't unethical for me to talk about it.

For anything BBR related, I'm just saying what I think about the matter and things that aren't the BBR's fault, MK ban talk was staff decision, same thing with Melee vs Brawl talk in most cases. The new rule on stickies was approved by the head of the site, BBR never could force something like without the staff.

So I'm sorry but I can't give a straight answer because.

1.) I'm not in the BBR and most of my posts about them are me giving my input on why they do what they do.

2.) If something was posted to the staff, I can't speak on it as a mod of the site.

3.) All I got to go off of his Shaya's comment a while back about it.

Sorry John.

@Browny: I'll get to you later, :p.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Again I'm not in the BBR, So I have no clue if they are planning something or not, although that was a big drop in info.

And I can't speak on anything that goes on in the staffer shack, which has many legit reasons far more legit than anything about the BBR, for not telling what happens there. As a mod I'm keeping my mouth shut on that stuff, because it wouldn't unethical for me to talk about it.

For anything BBR related, I'm just saying what I think about the matter and things that aren't the BBR's fault, MK ban talk was staff decision, same thing with Melee vs Brawl talk in most cases. The new rule on stickies was approved by the head of the site, BBR never could force something like without the staff.

So I'm sorry but I can't give a straight answer because.

1.) I'm not in the BBR and most of my posts about them are me giving my input on why they do what they do.

2.) If something was posted to the staff, I can't speak on it as a mod of the site.

3.) All I got to go off of his Shaya's comment a while back about it.

Sorry John.

@Browny: I'll get to you later, :p.
Well, actually, my question was directed at ANY BBR member who knew what was going on. I know you're not in the BBR.

Although, you did give some really good insight on the matter.

In any case, I was asking the BBR(any member) about the whole MK thing for a few reasons. Namely basing it on Shaya's comment(which is actually in my sig, below my banner XD), but also on the mixed responses I've been receiving upon asking others about it.

I wanted to get the straight skippy on what's up for that issue.

And of course, because of the whole MK ban discussion restriction set down by the mods, I also suggested whoever answers it PMs me if they felt the topic(and its subsequent answer) absolutely should not be discussed in a public board like this.

I just need to know for my own sake, so I know how to act on a few specific projects of my own from here on out. I know well enough how to withhold information if it needs to remain classified.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
As far as I know, the discussion restriction is "don't cause a ****storm for the moderators." It's unreasonable to stop people from tossing out a bitter remark about MK every so often, and I don't think keeping track of data around MK is going to be trouble. Just don't initiate a big debate about Meta Knight in either direction based on your data, I guess.

I have no current information regarding MK discussion in the BBR.

NNID
Budget_Player
<gigantic-*** post>
One of the things I was hoping to get out of this thread: suggestions to make the BBR better. +1.

Well, to be fair, almost no other competitive game has an extensive ruleset (seriously, the ruleset for Street Fighter pretty much contains your typical character counterpicking and set order, something which has remained constant and unquestioned in almost every fighting game since SF2).

And yet none of it was given to us. You guys made 4,280 posts. All of them could've been absolute gold, but none of them are useful to the community because we got essentially the least useful part of it. We probably could've gotten more if the only thing you posted was who talked about it.

And yeah, see this post by RR?

<info on WHY the matchups are like they are>
This post is more useful than the entire public matchup chart. Give us **** like this, and it is actually useful. Players who need this kind of information can get it and use it to further their understanding of hard matchups! That is, as long as it's not severely out of date...

...You think people are going to pay attention to this?

BPC, we're actually working on a project with stages (just started), I'm heading the effort.
...You think people are going to pay attention to this?

Okay, that's mean, I'm sorry. I'll PM you; I actually am curious to see what the BBR will do. If you'll manage to do something useful; something that people will actually pay attention to, then I applaud the effort.

I stopped reading at Smash Lab doing meaningful research, lololol.
Well, it's more than the BBR.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Hey guys.

The Brawl Back Room is a structured social group.
The brawl back room members and leaders decide what it does.
They have no obligations, nor do they hold authority over the community. There were times when it was somewhat perceived we should/would, but we've firmly decided to stray from that.

We withhold what we're discussing until we're ready to release it. It's quite rare we would withhold information - we don't "discover" things.
You misconstrue what the BBR is. We're a group of well established brawl players. Just about every competitive game has this. Like league of legends <3.

Also, I never said we'd be looking at banning Meta Knight.

The match up project didn't necessarily have discussions unless the panellists felt they were needed or there were discrepancies with other groups.
The match up project's goal was to create a match up chart, not have the finer details of every single match up in the game.

Top Bottom