• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Best in the Galaxy: Samurai Goroh for SSB4 - Confirmed for Assist Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That, and Stingray Stab has a nice ring to it, you gotta admit.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, it does.
Though it would probably raise a bunch of Steve Irwin jokes. :troll:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
What are you guys now? A Falcon Bunch of comedians?

:troll:

I prefer Black Shadow over Goroh. I like supervillains better than samurai wannabes.
Then not Black Shadow, but ****ing DEATHBORN.

Black Shadow IS NOT a cool supervillain, is a stupid super-moron. The only thing he did in GX was pending from Deathborn's balls and come out as an idiot in the end.

DEATHBORN GUYS, DEATHBORN.

Damn, even Zoda is a better choice than Black Shadow, who simply looks silly and kinda gay (not that I have anything against homosexuals).

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST BATMAN WITH HORNS #Vintage Creep... ?!

Also, Neh, Zoda is ****.. I could even see Pico as a better choice than him...

But honestly Goroh deserves it...
1. He was assist Trophy in Brwal
2. He is Rival to Captain Falcon
3. He was in Smash Melee Intro

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
For someone who knows very less about the F-Zero franchise (like me), Samurai Goroh is the obvious choice for a 2nd F-Zero rep.

He's present in ALL F-Zero games till date, is Captain Falcon's original rival and has made much more cameos in both Melee and Brawl.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
^
You got it right sir, have my like!
Also, Samurai Goroh, Pico, Dr.Stewart and Captain Falcon was the ONLY playables in the original F-Zero game..

And since Pico and Dr.Stewart is not popular, or too much fitted for a fighting game like Smash, Goroh wins in that department too!
So how I See it is... Samurai Goroh or Black Shadow...

Black Shadow is one of the most popular characters in Japan
and we all know Japan has a lot to say in this debate...

While Samurai Goroh and Black Shadow is alike popular in the west..

But for me it does seem like Goroh is the more popular character over
Black Shadow in rest of the world...Might just be me tho...

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Goroh makes sense, I just don't like him. He's boring.
Black Shadow doesn't make sense though. His only luck is that he reminds of Batman.
But he's not a true villain, and he's even more boring than Goroh.

Pico too would be MUCH better than both imho.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So what we know for sure is that if there is another F-Zero rep it'll either be Goroh or Black Shadow.

Given that Falcon's moveset was made wholecloth for smash bros it'd be intresting to see what they can do with those two.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Okay F-Zero fans, does this list contain all the Important, Prominent, and Fan favorite characters of FZ? If not, who am I missing?

Captain Falcon
Black Shadow
Blood Falcon
Deathborn
Dr. Stewart
Jody Summer
Pico
Samurai Goroh

I'm not looking to simply expand this list, but to add any characters that fit one of those THREE categories. Unless you have a personal fave, then I'll add them :)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What happened to *insert series* nerds? D:

I personally think that the list is fine, but I feel that you can take off Blood Falcon. He's not really notable, requested, or unique. I say the Brawl color swap is all he needs. Just my opinion.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm keeping Blood Falcon, just because his alternate color has been in Smash for so long. And why not?

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Okay F-Zero fans, does this list contain all the Important, Prominent, and Fan favorite characters of FZ? If not, who am I missing?

Captain Falcon
Black Shadow
Blood Falcon
Deathborn
Dr. Stewart
Jody Summer
Pico
Samurai Goroh

I'm not looking to simply expand this list, but to add any characters that fit one of those THREE categories. Unless you have a personal fave, then I'll add them :)
Maybe Rick Wheeler, main protagonist of the anime and two games in the series and an eventual inheritor of the title 'Captain Falcon'. Really however the only candidates are Samurai Goroh and Black Shadow.

Something I think Sakurai aught to consider is removing Wolf for Goroh. F-Zero and Star Fox are two series that have a lot of parallels:

1. Similar age, both began on the SNES
2. Have a few celebrated games (F-Zero; F-Zero; F-Zero GX for the F-Zero series, Star Fox and Star Fox 64 for the Star Fox series) and a number of less than celebrated games (the GBA games for F-Zero and Star Fox Assault and Command for Star Fox).
3. Both are loved by Nintendo fans but don't have much of a fan base outside that.
4. Both are long dormant with new games in both series being cried out for for years.

Really they're what you'd describe as similar sized franchises, so one of them of having three reps with the other only one has to be considered unbalanced. Star Fox having three reps is eyebrow raising anyway. Would more people welcome Goroh than people would miss Wolf? Probably, as long as Goroh has a unique moveset instead of being a clone/semi-clone.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hageshii: I did my best to not include his sword because seriously there are too many swords as it is. Though he's a samurai I see a bit of sumo in there as well so this moves has him thrusting his hands back and forth while standing still.
Ordeal: Any clues as to where I got these move names from? This is a heavy charge forward and if it connects Goroh knocks his opponent to the ground and can follow up with a few punches. An ordeal indeed. I think a Tekken character does this.
Meteor Storm: Despite his size Goroh is supposedly quite athletic and one his specialities seems to be his ability to perform multiple backflips. I simply substituted forward flips because that seems to make more sense play wise. He does this in a sort of squatting pose, rather than curled into a ball.
Screw Drive: Goroh dives down, spinning with his fist out and bounces heavily off the ground (like the Bowser Bomb, performing this on the ground will precede the move with a small jump.)
Fire Stingray: Capitalising on the Ganondorfyness (TM) I pretty much lifted his Final Smash wholesale but replaced pig Ganon with the titular race car. I suppose it could leave a temporary trail of fire behind it too.

By Professor Fandango @ DevientArt

http://professorfandango.deviantart.com/art/SMASH-Goroh-317099996?q=gallery:professorfandango/31856694&qo=7

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hmm...I like it! Mind if I add it to the OP? I'm always looking for more movesets.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay, I updated the OP for the inevitable influx of new users. I added some counterarguments and generally spruced up the OP. I'm open to more suggestions for improving it.

Groose

Smash Champion
Free bump from the jaws of death.

Sign me up as a supporter.

And it's Goroh's day on Rate Their Chances.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Huzzah! Someone bumped the Goroh thread!

I'll add you to the supporters, Groose.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Sign me up as a supporter! :b:

I think there should be a counter-argument as to why is he a better choice than Black Shadow.

D

Deleted member

I think there should be a counter-argument as to why is he a better choice than Black Shadow.
As a supporter of both, this is not a good idea.
Neither one is necessarily better than the other.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I support. I'd like a F-Zero character with an all-new moveset, as I think Black Shadow should just get Ganondorf's old moveset. Also, GOROHHHHHHHHH! would be an awesome cheer, like a sumo match.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Like what Golden said, it just wouldn't feel right for a support thread to just bash another character, in my opinion. They each have their own reasons for inclusion, after all.

I'll gladly sign you up as a supporter, though! :D

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I though I was on that supporter list as well, what is this?... haha Just add me on, His my favorite F-Zero pilot, and I'm rooting for him lol

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I want to be a supporter as well.

I need more space samurais in my smash.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Add me to the supporters.

Of all the potential F-Zero characters he has the most potential.

Zigzagar

Smash Journeyman
Samurai Goroh would be fun to play as I want Samurai Goroh in SSB4! Deluxe Total Support!!!

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I think it's F-Zero's time to finally earn a newcomer. Sign me up for the support list!
As much as I'd like an F-zero Newcomer, F-zero doesn't deserve **** when it comes to rep.
There hasn't been a game game for over 10 years, and there are no plans on it either.
But don't get me wrong, bro. I Super-want an F-zero Newcomer.

I'd much rather have Black Shadow than Goroh, though.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't think a character's worthyness should be based on how long ago he had a game, but HOW MANY it's had.

F-Zero has had like.... 7 that I recall. (1 on Snes, 2 on Snes "online", F-Zero X, F-Zero GX, and both GBA titles). F-Zero even had an anime, the only other shows I recall having a TV show are Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Kirby.

And while I don't usually support characters from already represented franchises, Samurai Goroh has grown to be in my top#3 characters from already represented franchises that should be included.

I feel that he should have been since Melee for some reason. Although I see him as a Falcon SEMI-clone.

If Ganondorf poses a problem, then who's to say Goroh can't be as fast and strong as Captain Falcon?

I would have him fight like C.Falcon in SSB64, but his specials would all be based on his katana.

I'll come up with a full moveset later. XD Or two.

EDIT:

BTW my favorite F-Zero characters other than Captain Falcon are:
-Samurai Goroh
-Zoda
-James Mc.Cloud
-Mrs. Arrow
and that other racer who's name escapes me, but his car has the shape of a hedgehog and colored orange. (You can imagine I always recolored it blue)

MOVESET TIME:

Samurai Goroh is somewhere in between C.F and Ganondorf as far as mobility goes.
He can ALMOST match the running speed of C.F.
He's also pretty strong, and pretty heavy (almost matching Ganondorf)
But his jump is kinda bad. He will have a tough time getting back on the stage.

A: Jab, Jab, Knee (knee knocks away hard)
Ftilt: Sumo stomp (the Ftilt equivalent of C.F.'s Utilt)
Dtilt: Sumo slap
Utilt: Sumo chop

Dash Attack: Headbutt (Dives headfirst)

Fsmash: Thunder kick (CF's SSB64 Fsmash, with lightning effect instead of fire)
Dsmash: Sweep kick (CF's SSB64 Dsmash)
Usmash: Elbow blow (CF's SSB64 Usmash)

Grab: Holds on with both arms
Pummel: Bear hugs opponent
G+Fwd: Overhead toss
G+Dwn: Body slam
G+Up: Rising knee

Nair: Extended kick
Fair: Fire punch
Bair: Double kick
Dair: Double hand crush

B: Battou Jutsu (Goroh enters a stance where he's ready to draw his sword. Player presses B again to release the blade, dealing average damage to his opponent. However, if Battou Jutsu CLASHES with another opponent's attack, Battou Jutsu WILL go through it, and will deal MASSIVE damage to him/her)

Btilt: Gatotsu (Goroh takes a stance, player charges this, before he dashes at lightning speeds to thrust the opponents ahead of him. Opponents hit with this will not be knocked away, but will be stunned for a second)

Bdown: Ronin Barrage (Enters berserk mode for a 5 seconds, you can only control him left, right, and jump. He will run swinging his sword like the Brawl Assist Trophy)

Bup: Samurai Soar (Works like a shorter, vertical version of Metaknight's Btilt)

Final Smash: Fire Stingray (Same as Captain Falcon's, but the car hits across the screen although at a slower speed)

D

Deleted member

I have been thinking about it for a while, and I feel Goroh needs to have a fighting style that emphasizes what he's all about; wild recklessness.
Like, you don't need to think to use him properly, just get in there and flail around like you just don't give a damn. And yes, that type of fighting style has its disadvantages such as predictability, but that's the point of recklessness.

I mean, the best two words to describe: Leroy Jenkins.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I've also given much tought about how Samurai Goroh would play. And I'd say a clever mix between "Katana/Samurai Style" and "Sumo" to make an unique character. He would be a heavy hitter, but also heavy jumper just to balance him.

I wouldn't mind letting him use the "Fire Stingray" since it's a huge part of Goroh's Design.
Goroh is all about "Japan" Steriotype, so Samurai & Sumo fits perfectly for Samurai Goroh.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I would want Goroh as a new F-Zero character but I'm worried Sakurai will choose Black Shadow because it's easier to make a clone.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Due to me not having a whole lot of knowledge in the F-Zero department, I may start sounding like a noob, so please forgive me. :) Anyway, I think Goroh would be a great (and most likely) candidate for F-Zero. We all know F-Zero deserves another rep. If Earthbound can get two reps, then F-Zero can definitely get another rep. Samurai Goroh could have a moveset based around his strength and katana. I feel as if Goroh has a lot of originality as well. A futuristic yet ninja-ish character is quite original to me. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom