• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big Book of Fox Matchups

Status
Not open for further replies.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I have a lot of troubles with Toon Link. Everytime I'm shot into the air, I can't punish his Uair. Is this a problem for everyone or is it just me? I try to shine stall when he does one, then head into a Dair, but he does a second one before reaching the stage. I also tried getting him from the side while he was still in his Uair animation, but I was still hit anyways. Should I avoid it from now on? Because trying to punish him for it does not seem possible for me at this point.
Toon Link is a rough fight overall, but this problem in particular is pretty simple. When you are hit high in the air just DI to the edges and grab the ledge. He can't hit you with a U-air if you are on the stage. Just DI around it as much as you can when your thrown upward.

Air dodging doesn't help much here since it stays out so long, and punishing is hard. Not every attack the enemy misses needs to be punished. You should only punish when it is safe.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Um...Fox>Snake. Fox is one of Snake's hardest matchups.

Dair to uptilt all day. He can approach with SH Fairs, which do 25-18 damage. It can be "auto-canceled" and he also has massive DI in that move, so it's impossible to punish and can always lead to an uptilt combo if need be. Fox is way too good at racking up this damage so all he needs to do vs Snake, as Cort mentioned, is get him to 105% and shield drop to dash upsmash, gg.
Fox is also good at keeping his diminished moves strong since many of his moves hit more then once and his grab repeating A move hits very fast. He'll get 9 moves in no time (takes 9 moves to replenish a diminished move). That and the fact he's one of the few characters that can actually combo adds to how he gets damage quick, especially on slower characters.
Also, Fox never has to approach Snake, again as Cort has stated. Snake always has to go to him (or else Fox can just shoot lasers or reflect/shoot Snake's spam).

Keep this in mind for other matchups such as DDD, DK, Gdorf, and Ike. Personally, I LOVE Fox vs DDD, it's ****. DDD gets hit by EVERYTHING and before you know it, you have him at the right % for a upsmash kill. DDD doesn't have much against Fox...cept like F-tilt, lol.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
The only smart thing I've seen in this thread.
Wow, I'm glad someone in the Fox forums actually knows what they're talking about. Also, Snake's grenades are so useless against Fox. Snake pulls out a grenade, you shoot a few lasers to set it off in his hand or right as he's thrown it and you'll never need to worry about them. Fox landing a downsmash on Snake near the ledge is also brutal, since it sends him at a low trajectory Snake becomes an easy edgeguard for Fox at that point allowing him to kill Snake at even lower percents than even the upsmash (which is 108% for most neutrals btw). Snake's mortar is hurt by Fox as well since Fox can reflect the bomb after he's knocked up by the initial dash anyway. The only reason it isn't terrible for Snake is due to the fact he can net kills on Fox at around 80% and hurt Fox's recovery easily. I'm happy someone actually knows Fox match-ups.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
lol, ty Kiivi

Btw, this thread needs an update. Lucas, Zelda, DDD, Pit, ZSS, Marth, Snake, and Pikachu should not be that high.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Pikachu should be that high, but i agree lucas, zelda, and marth shouldn't be that high.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
lol, ty Kiivi

Btw, this thread needs an update. Lucas, Zelda, DDD, Pit, ZSS, Marth, Snake, and Pikachu should not be that high.
This thread needs to actually explain match-ups. I'm kind of disappointed it's stickied when is almost does not explain match-ups at all. I'm sorry, but this thread equates to "this is what I think of characters" and then say that it equates to Fox that way.

An example, let's look at the Bowser match-up.

Bowser:bowser2:
Bowser is big, strong and mean… but he is SLOW. Take advantage of this. Some slow characters can put a fight even against Fox, but Bowser isn't one of them. His attacks shouldn't be taken lightly, but as long as you don't get hit you won't need to worry. He is also so big, that he has a hard time DIing out of your low % combos, so combo away. He can get you with his Bowsercide over-B easily when you have higher %s, but at that point it only benefits Bowser if he has a crazy amount of damage, which he shouldn't because you can u-smash kill him easily when he gets up there. 1/5
Seriously, let's look at this. I could replace the word "Fox" with just about any character the way this is written. This could apply to Marth, G&W, Metaknight, Peach. Whoever, it doesn't matter. This basically said "Bowser is big and slow (that means you can combo him!) Don't get hit by his strong attacks! He's big enough to combo at low percents! He has an over-B suicide (avoid it!). You can kill him easily when he's at high enough percents he wants to try and suicide!". I'm sorry. But this doesn't apply to Fox in any way. Almost none of the match-ups are actually explained as match-ups. They are nothing more than what orintemple thinks of the character. (LOL Bowser sucks and can't do anything! OMG Snake is so good! (Read the Snake match-up. It's a general explanation of Snake, not relating to how Fox needs to fight Snake or how Snake can fight Fox.))

This whole thread needs to be redone, as it is not a match-up thread and instead just orintemple's impressions of characters with him saying they can do something to Fox every now and then.

Please, look at what NJz and I posted about Snake. That is how you explain a match-up. Not the useless stuff you've posted. I don't need to know Snake's fair is a spike. That's useless and does not help explain the match-up at all. I've been meaning to say this, but I only care now as the thread somehow got stickied without actually being a match-up thread.

Sorry for the rant, and I don't mean to insult you, I'm sure you're a good Fox player. But you really need to actually explain match-ups if you want to pass this off as an official match-up thread.

orintemple

Smash Lord
This thread needs to actually explain match-ups. I'm kind of disappointed it's stickied when is almost does not explain match-ups at all. I'm sorry, but this thread equates to "this is what I think of characters" and then say that it equates to Fox that way.

An example, let's look at the Bowser match-up.

Seriously, let's look at this. I could replace the word "Fox" with just about any character the way this is written. This could apply to Marth, G&W, Metaknight, Peach. Whoever, it doesn't matter. This basically said "Bowser is big and slow (that means you can combo him!) Don't get hit by his strong attacks! He's big enough to combo at low percents! He has an over-B suicide (avoid it!). You can kill him easily when he's at high enough percents he wants to try and suicide!". I'm sorry. But this doesn't apply to Fox in any way. Almost none of the match-ups are actually explained as match-ups. They are nothing more than what orintemple thinks of the character. (LOL Bowser sucks and can't do anything! OMG Snake is so good! (Read the Snake match-up. It's a general explanation of Snake, not relating to how Fox needs to fight Snake or how Snake can fight Fox.))

This whole thread needs to be redone, as it is not a match-up thread and instead just orintemple's impressions of characters with him saying they can do something to Fox every now and then.

Please, look at what NJz and I posted about Snake. That is how you explain a match-up. Not the useless stuff you've posted. I don't need to know Snake's fair is a spike. That's useless and does not help explain the match-up at all. I've been meaning to say this, but I only care now as the thread somehow got stickied without actually being a match-up thread.

Sorry for the rant, and I don't mean to insult you, I'm sure you're a good Fox player. But you really need to actually explain match-ups if you want to pass this off as an official match-up thread.

I realized this needs to all be re-written, but I seriously don't have the time right now. It takes some heavy thought to write this stuff, as I'm sure you well know. There are a lot of things wrong with it. I originally wrote this just so we had ANY matchup thread at all, as pretty much ALL other character forums had a matchup thread there. I am by no means some great authority on Fox, I just play him and decided I was at least intelligent enough to start something. This is why I asked for input from the community originally, which I got.

Forgive my lack of experience or whatever, but no one else was making it. As I learn more I have ideas and such, I just haven't been able to fix things yet. I would like to make an overhaul to the guide but I don't know when I will be able to.

Things also depend on the quality of players I face, which is where a lot of bias naturally would come from. I can't tell what a character is capable of if I have never seen it.

As for my writing style, maybe it is not quite a matchup guide, it is almost a reverse in a sense, but I am not exactly an experienced matchup guide writer, this was my first attempt at anything like this at all. NJz Finest is a good matchup writer apparently, and maybe you are too, but I didn't see either of you writing anything about this. Maybe you didn't feel like it was time yet, or maybe you weren't planning on it ever. That doesn't matter, all that matters is that I at least tried something that was meant to be a start. I am certain Njz could do a better job than myself, and if he wants to write one to replace mine, then great, thats fine.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Of all the Falcons I know (and that's quite a lot since I'm one of the regulars on the Falcon board), none of them really use Nair as an approach since it is so terrible. Here are some videos of one of my fellow Falcons taking on a Fox (I'm not that familiar with what good Foxes look like so I don't know where this guy falls in the realm of good Foxes):

KÀi!! (Falcon) vs. SAINT (Fox) Final Destination

Hope this helps since I'm not sure you guys are too familiar with the matchup.

M@v

Subarashii!
through my experiences:

Marth and Falco aren't as bad as everyone says they are. I would consider fox vs marth an even matchup, and fox vs falco a slight disadvantage. One of my fav matchups is vs wolf. I think its the most even matchup in the game. You have a better air game, he has a better ground game. Makes things interesting.

Olimar is a ##### to fight.

A lot about peoples opinions on matchups also depends on the opponent. If your opponent is a really good player, you'll think a matchup against a certain character is a lot harder than it really is.

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
I don't think the Wario match-up is exactly right. I guess if you're talking about his ground moves a few of his attacks have huge-post lag but in the air they all pretty much autocancel, and a good Wario will be dodging in and out of your shield pressuring you with fast autocanceled aerials, fsmashes, and bites. I think you have yet to play a good Wario. If you want we can play over Wi-Fi?

Also, unless the Sheik is a noob, it's most used kill moves will be Upsmash and Up-B.

Kel

Smash Master
I didn't see any stage discussions for Fox, so I'm going to post this in this thread.

Fox's F-air is amazing, and you should use it when you're recovering. It makes the world of a difference. Fox normally can't travel underneath Smashville from one side to the other; however, if you use his fair while you're passing by one of the ledges (or you got hit underneath the stage or whatever) you can use your double jump and up B to the other ledge. It's pretty cool.

Oh, and I'll have some tournament Fox vids up soon. I'm doing rather well with him in the MW. I especially use him for Snake.

blazeboi72

Smash Rookie
lol i am a fox player and lucas and meta seems most trouble will any combos be helpful

also were are u guys getting those awesome avatars XD

M@v

Subarashii!
Fox is great to fight snake. Reflect his grenades. Blaster spam to prevent him from spamming and approach. Always attack from behind, you can't compete with his F-Tilt. I usually evade until I fight a good opportunity to catch him, then combo the snot out of him.

Fox's U-tilt combo works quite well on him ^_^.

Blue sHell

Smash Journeyman
:Wario:warioc:
Wario is a weird fight. He is a high-risk high-reward fighter, so make sure to dodge his attacks and you can rock him hard. His attacks have quick start-up but HUGE lag afterwards, allowing you to punish with ease. His f-air may be a slight annoyance due to his Jigglypuff-like air movement, but it isn't very strong, can't be used to combo, and can't be used for Wall of Pain since Wario only has two very sub-par jumps. When Wario blinks red, make sure to be on the defensive because his fully charged fart is crazy strong. Otherwise you should have this in the bag. 2.5/5
O_o Ummmmmmm....

I'm going to go under the assumption that this was written months ago because it's extremely not true. Not only is Wario not vulnurable almost 90% of time because of his great mobility in the air(and the fact that he's always in the air) but he does not have lag on any of his commonly used moves minus forward smash.

Fair combos like crazy, dair combos like crazy on fox. And Wario's Bite vs Fox is too good of an option due to Fox's semi-lack of range.

Dair > stuff works pretty well but realize that if you get too SH Dair happy a good Wario could change his whole entire strat around double jump dair bombs and completely mess up that strat all together. Mix in full jumped fast falled dairs to catch him with the the ok priority on Dair because it will go through fair, but not through uair so be waery.

In my honest opinion this is a very close match, Wario could slow down Fox's momentum pretty bad and has slightly more options at crucial moments leading me to believe the matchup is just ever so slightly in his favor, but nothing too dire.

M@v

Subarashii!
^

Against wario..

His mouth can mess up your dash attacks, and it stops fox illusion cold. When going aerial watch out for warios up aerial, its really strong. The bike isnt that hard to deal with. Just jump over it, or short hop and shine wario as he is going by you. Make sure you pay attention to wario so you know when his fart's fully charged; it can kill you early.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Over in the Kirby forums, we are currently working out our own match-up thread, in which most people feel Kirby has a large advantage over Fox; some of the most respected Kirby's rate it at 8-2 or even 9-1 in Kirby's favor...

What does the Fox community think about that?

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=176103

Red.Tide

Smash Cadet
Well, it seems that none of you know much about Kirby. He can duck your lasers as long as he wants, so it will be up to whoever is less patient to approach. Kirby's bair is amazing at approaching, coming out and ending quickly, deceptively long range, and can't be shield grabbed.

It is relatively easy to pull off grab->fthrow->uair->fastfall->grab->fthrow->uair->fastfall->fsmash for 51% damage on Fox. If done right, it is inescapable. You are welcome to try. So basically, if Kirby grabs you while you are at 0%, you will end up at 51%.

If you are ever forced to use your upB, Kirby can easily spike it.

Kirby can stage-assist kill most characters by swallowing them up, spitting them under the stage, and finishing them off with bair or uair. Because of the length of time Fox's upB takes, he is one of the more vulnerable.

And what's this about easy edgeguarding on Kirby with bairs? Kirby's recovery is so good that he doesn't need to rush back to the stage, he could easily just stay out there, float up too high for Fox, and come crashing down with downB, stopping just in time to grab the edge. Trust me. Kirby is NOT easy to edgeguard.

Most of the people in the Kirby forums, including the best of us, think that Fox is one of Kirby's easiest matchups, at an 8-2 or at best 7-3 for Kirby.

Thoughts?

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Fox does indeed have a difficult matchup against Kirby, although I wouldn't say it's 9-1, or even 8-2.

Kirby's bair is amazing at approaching, coming out and ending quickly, deceptively long range, and can't be shield grabbed.
Pivoting and sliding shields help get around this very well. I've grabbed and punished many Kirby players by pivoting and baiting. Fox is still very fast, and you'll rarely find one that will sit around and wait for your approach. Fox's aerials, for the most part, also win in terms of priority, so smart SH Nairs and Dairs will at least clank, although usually override.
While it's not as bad as you make it out to be, it's still bad for Fox. Kirby's air mobility is nothing to laugh at, and correctly spaced, floated Bairs do indeed spell trouble, and as such, Dair is usually the option that Fox goes to.

It is relatively easy to pull off grab->fthrow->uair->fastfall->grab->fthrow->uair->fastfall->fsmash for 51% damage on Fox. If done right, it is inescapable. You are welcome to try. So basically, if Kirby grabs you while you are at 0%, you will end up at 51%.
I haven't done any testing on this, so I can't confirm or deny it. But if Fox can shineDI out of Pikachu's chaingrab, then I hold Kirby's chain in question too. Someone will just have to run tests.

Kirby can stage-assist kill most characters by swallowing them up, spitting them under the stage, and finishing them off with bair or uair. Because of the length of time Fox's upB takes, he is one of the more vulnerable.
This is true. I have but one answer: Don't get hit. (Swallowed?)

And what's this about easy edgeguarding on Kirby with bairs? Kirby's recovery is so good that he doesn't need to rush back to the stage, he could easily just stay out there, float up too high for Fox, and come crashing down with downB, stopping just in time to grab the edge. Trust me. Kirby is NOT easy to edgeguard.
Kirby isn't easy to edgeguard, but he isn't exactly difficult either. A well timed rising Fair from Fox will let him Double Jump Dair you most of the time, which Kirby has trouble outprioritizing. Take its pseudo-spike qualities and go from there.

Bair is also a viable option after following up with a rising Fair, and hits Kirby pretty hard for more punishment. When he floats back, rinse and repeat.

Another way to look at this is similar to how Fox handles Snake's recovery - oftentimes, a simple Uair will deal with the problem. None of these options are easy, and all require good prediction, but they're not impossible, either.

Fox does have some definite good points in this fight, though. Kirby is a floaty, meaning Usmash kills starting at 80%+. SH Dairs outprioritize a ton of approach options, and Kirby's is no different. Followed into Utilt, it sets Kirby up nicely in the air.

Ftilt is also quite useful in this match, despite how crappy Fox's Ftilt is in general. It has surprisingly good range, and angled correctly, can clank or override Kirby's moves.

Dsmash shoots Kirby off the stage at a very humbling level, allowing for an easy rising Dair to block off attempts at recovering below the stage.

This is good stuff. Keep it coming.

Red.Tide

Smash Cadet
Fox does indeed have a difficult matchup against Kirby, although I wouldn't say it's 9-1, or even 8-2.
Me neither, I would say it's 7-3.

Pivoting and sliding shields help get around this very well. I've grabbed and punished many Kirby players by pivoting and baiting. Fox is still very fast, and you'll rarely find one that will sit around and wait for your approach. Fox's aerials, for the most part, also win in terms of priority, so smart SH Nairs and Dairs will at least clank, although usually override.
While it's not as bad as you make it out to be, it's still bad for Fox. Kirby's air mobility is nothing to laugh at, and correctly spaced, floated Bairs do indeed spell trouble, and as such, Dair is usually the option that Fox goes to.
I accept that pivoting and sliding shields can get around it. I am surprised that Fox's dair beats Kirby's bair, because Kirby would be hitting the top part of Fox's body, and it has deceptively long range.
I haven't done any testing on this, so I can't confirm or deny it. But if Fox can shineDI out of Pikachu's chaingrab, then I hold Kirby's chain in question too. Someone will just have to run tests.
I doubt it, because I don't think that Fox goes out of hitstun for the entire thing. He may be able to avoid the fsmash, in which case a Kirby player would use ftilt or swallow, doing nearly as much.

This is true. I have but one answer: Don't get hit. (Swallowed?)
If you try to edgeguard like you say below, you will get swallowed some of the time.

Kirby isn't easy to edgeguard, but he isn't exactly difficult either. A well timed rising Fair from Fox will let him Double Jump Dair you most of the time, which Kirby has trouble outprioritizing. Take its pseudo-spike qualities and go from there.

Bair is also a viable option after following up with a rising Fair, and hits Kirby pretty hard for more punishment. When he floats back, rinse and repeat.
Why would Kirby come in low enough to get hit with a fair from a single jump? Wherever you hit Kirby, basically, he can come back to the stage where he wants to go.

Another way to look at this is similar to how Fox handles Snake's recovery - oftentimes, a simple Uair will deal with the problem. None of these options are easy, and all require good prediction, but they're not impossible, either.
Snake's recovery is slow and predictable. Kirby's is not slow and anything but predictable.

Fox does have some definite good points in this fight, though. Kirby is a floaty, meaning Usmash kills starting at 80%+. SH Dairs outprioritize a ton of approach options, and Kirby's is no different. Followed into Utilt, it sets Kirby up nicely in the air.
Kirby kills Falco with a Fsmash from around 80%+. Not from the very edge of the stage, either. Fox is even lighter than Falco.

Ftilt is also quite useful in this match, despite how crappy Fox's Ftilt is in general. It has surprisingly good range, and angled correctly, can clank or override Kirby's moves.
I'll give that one to you, but Kirby does have some longer-range options.

Dsmash shoots Kirby off the stage at a very humbling level, allowing for an easy rising Dair to block off attempts at recovering below the stage.
Kirby has five large puffs and a triple jump, and is a floaty character. He wouldn't have to approach below the stage if he didn't want to, even if hit out sideways and down.

This is good stuff. Keep it coming.
Thanks!

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Yeah, the matchup seems to be close to 7-3, or maybe 65-35.

Why would Kirby come in low enough to get hit with a fair from a single jump? Wherever you hit Kirby, basically, he can come back to the stage where he wants to go.
Oh, I didn't explain this correctly. Basically, when Fox uses a Fair right after he jumps, he gains a considerable boost in his jump. It nearly doubles the distance he goes up vertically. Assuming the stage has a platform, he can usually jump high enough to guard most characters that recover from the top.

That was the only point I really wanted to clear up, but (at least for now), I think we have a good consensus on the matchup. Thanks for posting here; the Fox forums really need it.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
hey my friend say dk is a threat and I laughed at him should I be worried about dk
Not unless you suck.

Seriously, people! We've answered these kind of questions dozens upon dozens upon dozens of times. Use the Search function. Don't just come in and say
"lol i need help against ____" If you need help, tell us specifically what you need help with.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I have to disagree with the sonic matchup. Mainly because I see several things that I would ahve to disagree with.
Sonic isn’t that hard. He is really fast on the ground, but his attacks are not very good.
Dtilt keeps Fox in it for at least 3 hits and is guaranteed to link up to his Utilt/Usmash at higher percents.
HIs Ftilt outranges a good amount of Fox's moves and is comparable to that of Marth's Fsmash.
Utilt has good priority and has a good number of setups
A jab combo is kinda meh since i've seen characters escape and actually jab me back before the kick.

His Fsmash also can be stutterstepped to increase its range to a great amount. He can easily smack you from beyond Marth's Fsmash range.
The Dsmash while slow outranges Fox's and will beat it out.
It also stays out for a good amount of time so it must be shielded sicne if its dodged then you'll get hit afterwards.

The Usmash can be DAC'ed and hyphen smashed a good distance. It also has disjointed boxes that will break a large amount of Sonic's moves.

Onto his aerial moves.
Uair is easily among the best ones out there. Has great range and breaks even Link, Tlinks, and G&W DAir.
Fair starts up quick;;y and has decent priority when started up.
The Nair has good priority when started but afterwards its crap.
Dair is poor but its used for surprise attacks.
Bair is somewhat slow but powerful and can break many moves not involving disjointed hitboxes.

It will be hard to keep up with him but your hits will do well and it will take a lot for him to kill you.
Agreed. But Sonic has a number of combos that create good amount of damage.
He can also kill Fox early with his Uair and can gimp Fox with his spring more easily.
Phantasm is more difficult, but Sonic is one of those few characters that can actually get to where Fox will appear even as Fox is in the middle of his phantasm, not only that but his spring can interrupt it as well.
Like Olimar, you may be overwhelmed by his general playstyle at first and lose(although not as badly as your first time against Olimar). He is very fast that it is really hard to hit him when your not used to it and he will be coming at you with attacks at every opening, but once you get used to the way he moves you can tear him up.
Not true, while you may know his moves he is far from being easily predicted.
he cna cancel his dash momentum.
his dash shield grab range is good.
He can cancel his spindash.
he can spinshot to go at aerial speeds beyond that of wario and yoshi.
He has a large amount of moves that set up for mindgames.
Patience is key here. He has no projectiles to stop you and you can spam yours as long as you’re not careless.
You can't spam at all with your blaster. He gets up to you far too quickly for it to be spammable.

Sonic is very weak so you can overpower him easily.
Correct he has little priority on most of his attacks so in direct combat Fox will in, however most of the time Sonic will be dancing out of Fox's range using his speed and many other moves.
A good Sonic will not attack you directly so you can't just overpower him.

You have about equal range, but you have a bit of an advantage on a few. His up-b is really good (but only vertically) and he can attack while coming down so be aware of it.
Sonic actually has better range to his attacks than Fox on several of his moves. But Fox has better attack speed.

^B is only part of his recovery.
Spinshotting (which is also good for approching) improves horizontal distance.

Not only that the ^B has dodge frames and Fairing/Bairing afterwards increases the horizontal movement afterwards.
Sonic is very slow in the air and his aerials are only moderate, so you can take care of him up there too.
Sonic is 6th in base speed aerially he is far from slow.
HIs aerial are indeed moderate but they are more easily setup than Fox's IMO.
Sonic is only the illusion of fast, so take him down with your real speed. 2.5/5
Its no illusion , I speak as a Sonic main and also as a persopn who uses fox as a secondary.
I am leaning more to neutral since Fox doesn't appear to have anything that would give sonic trouble.

If he does have an advantage I don't think its a major one.

Fox can't make use of canceling his lasers since sonic's spincharge and dash go under it (spindash actually causes the lasers to pass through it during the initial part of the hop)
so Fox really cannot let Sonic control the spacing.

Fox can pressure Sonic and can rack up damage very quickly, but it becomes an issue when playing a sonic that is defensive. Many since dash shield grabbing is an effective tool for Sonic and many of his tilts can be used after the dash attack to cover him in case he overshoots past the opponent or if he hits the opponent too late

I do admit that I have limited experience facing Fox users and I am far fro being good Fox user myself so apologies on anything incorrect I have said.

soul ark

Smash Ace
we need a serious update... but if people keep on coming and defending there mains then all we really need to do is copy and paste what they say

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I main both fox and link...and my friend has taken many of my link strategies and used them against me when I am fox.

I personally have a harder time with link than this thread says because Fox is forced to approach from the ground.

It is hard to approach from the air because of a sliding u-smash
Also good links spam z-air (which if far superior to t-links) during your air approach and this move outrages and outpriorities all of my for air moves.

Projectiles are not a problem as bombs can be spot dodged or shined. very easy with your superior speed.

I can't necessarily spam lasers and force him to approach because he has a shield. and a good link will just use a combination of standing and spotdodging so that link never goes into a standing animation where he drops his shield. Short hopping a few lasers could help.

Link (toon link as well...samus too..even lucas!!!) also uses zair edgaurd. He can press z twice really fast right after letting go of the edge and regrab it instantly gaining invincibility frames. That means no more shinning to the edge which is annoying.

But fox still has alot of nice things over link. Pivot grabs dominate him.
Projectiles are shined away and spot dodged.
You can even shine his boomerang on the way back (during the tornado) so that link gets hit by his own wind and mess up his spacing.
gimping link is easy cause his recovery sucks.
Links move have Lag and with fox's speed he can counterattack

This thread didn't even talk about Link's zair (I am pretty sure zair has the higherst priority in the game with the exception of explosive moves??) outraging and out prioritizing all of fox's air attacks. which is why I thought it was necessary to bring this point up and others while i was discussing the character.

I really tried not be be onesided as I main both of these character.
I still think this is advantage fox but It is alot closer than people think because zair and sliding u-smash negate fox's good air moves.

2.5 if not nearing even.

This thread could honestly go a lot deeper into some of these characters and this would be one example as one.

Do you really think T-Link is still a 5......this must be extremely outdated....There a reason why toonlink is falling in the tournaments...

This is just one example where I think more in-depth analysis is needed. There are a lot more characters like "Sonic" which in my opinion also needs revision.

Benjamin Linus

Smash Apprentice
his uair is no longer a killer!
yes it is you idiot -_-

anyway >_>

the match up written on bowser on the first page is incorrect. that match up is even because fox doesn't have many advantages on bowser. Bowser or spaces fox in both the air and the ground. Ftilts and the up-b make bowser very hard for fox to approach now that there is lag in between foxes moves. speed does help fox and his up tilt ***** bowser but thats not enough to consider it 1/5 in foxes favor. Bowser can also gimp foxes recovery with flame. i did not mention bowsercides because everyone is victim to that. bowser is an impenetrable fortress in this game and because foxes laser spamming ability has become difficult to use i would say the match up is more 3/5 or 3.5/5.

menofuntall

Smash Cadet
Fox can still outspam Bowser, easily. Short-ranged flames are nothing for lasers that go nearly the entire length of FD. Thus, Bowser is forced to approach. And, er, as I've heard, Bowser's approach is less than amazing.

You're right about it not being 1/5. Since that's just silly. Bowser can still send Fox to his doom at low percents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom