• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Big Book of Fox Matchups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin Linus

Smash Apprentice
Fox can still outspam Bowser, easily. Short-ranged flames are nothing for lasers that go nearly the entire length of FD. Thus, Bowser is forced to approach. And, er, as I've heard, Bowser's approach is less than amazing.

You're right about it not being 1/5. Since that's just silly. Bowser can still send Fox to his doom at low percents.
are you kidding me? so the person who's infinite jump was most useful in the game has a terrible approach? so the character who has very good range on his aerials and a fortress that is unpunishable has bad approach?

it is clear that the fools on this fox forum have not played skilled players with other characters. bowsers approach isnt amazing but its good. lasers are almost useless now. short hoping with lasers usually place them above your opponents. ground lasers get you punished and even if you are able to consistantly shdl them effectively fox cannot abuse it because the tempo of the game make him easy to chase.

bowser can camp fox outside of his range however fox can abuse bowsers poor recovery and bowsers largeness.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Fox v. Bowser is definitely at least 35-65 for Bowser, although I'd put it closer to 40-60.
Anyone who tells you otherwise needs to play more.

it is clear that the fools on this fox forum have not played skilled players with other characters.
Tell me about it.

Master Ppv

Smash Journeyman
Very good job creating this! It's great to know how the matchups have changed since Melee! Fox may not be the god of Brawl like he was in Melee, but I'm glad to know he's still up there.

soul ark

Smash Ace
im very sure bowser does not have the advantage he's just too slow but of course i have not played a good bowser nor am i sure there is such thing well at least where i am he can be out ranged easy the laser will annoy the bowser since im sure he's to big to duck it. a good fox could counter any lack luster approach a bowser could pull out. fox has the advantage but if the bowser is better im sure the fox will be in real trouble

Zero-sr388

Smash Cadet
I actually have a really hard time fighting Samus as Fox. (well, the only Samus I play is a pro...)
I get hit a lot by her arial grapple beam, then I just get comboed, because it comes out so fast and unexpectedly.

thib flufflefox

Smash Rookie
Standing behind ya with a gun... I mean Virginia.
Fox v. Bowser is definitely at least 35-65 for Bowser, although I'd put it closer to 40-60.
It really depends, there's a large difference between a decent bowser and an expert bowser.
There's a huge improvement, where decent Bowsers aren't... all that decent, expert Bowsers pwn.
Less-than-great bowsers are easy killings for fox, while expert bowsers slaughter unsuspecting space animals (like a certain vulpine we all know).
You get the idea.
lol, the insightful observations of a noob (JK, I prefer the term "competitively challenged"). :chuckle:

Zero-sr388

Smash Cadet
have you tried staying at bay throwing some lazers and reflecting her projectiles
Other than missle cancels and a fairly occasional B I don't get a whole lo of projectiles from a good Samus.

I just get effing combo'd by that EVIL grapple beam!... grrr
*Vent*

And if I laser for more than 4-5 shot's They just dash attack me...
Hmm, I'll try a Shld-grab.

Shmexy

Smash Rookie
You have Snake at 4/5, I have heard from other fox mains in other threads that Snake is a good match-up for Fox. Which is it?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Olimar needs a red to spike well? where did that come from?

M@v

Subarashii!
yeah alot of those matchups need quite a bit of updating, like i think Ness and Lucas difficulties should be switched. and a bunch of other stuff needs updating.
when i get time, im going to make an updated version myself, using my own experience and recent and accurate input from here.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Kirby
Kirby is not slow anymore, but he still has no approach. This is good for you because Kirby can't camp, meaning he HAS to approach, but he really can't approach with much. His f-smash has deceiving range and stays out quite a long time. It is also quick and powerful. It is basically his version of your u-smash, but he can't run and do it. Kirby can duck under your lasers which makes camping him impossible but you win in range and speed. His hammer is also massively powerful and hits twice in the air making it extra annoying. It is also an unexpected attack since it comes out pretty fast and is much better than it seems. Your basic combos won't work well in this fight due to his floatiness so racking damage may take longer and be more dangerous. His recovery is very good but it is easy to b-air edgeguard him and his weight makes him a prime target to get u-smashed at low %. 3/5
R u serious? Kirby can approach with Bair, Nair, and Fair, not to mention his tilts have the same range as Fox. Not to mention that Kirby's Bair can knock him out of Illusion and so can his Dair. Kirby also has a 0-51 combo on space animals that leads into edgeguarding which is Kirby's Forte. I was quite surprised at this machtup ranking. He is listed as 70-30 in the Kirby Matchup Rankings and at worst its 60-40, in favor of Kirby. Perhaps you should rethink this matchup or ask the Kirby thread urself to get a more varied opinion.

FoxXMcloud

Smash Rookie
a good thread it helped alot b ut most of my battles are with characters 5/5 to4.5/5 so it seems like fox is a hard character but i know its just the cahraters and their skills

M@v

Subarashii!
a good thread it helped alot b ut most of my battles are with characters 5/5 to4.5/5 so it seems like fox is a hard character but i know its just the cahraters and their skills
umm this thread is 4 months out of date....we have a new guide...read down more

slyfox702

Smash Rookie
Thanks, this list has been a big help for me.
I was wondering if you could give me some more tips for
fighting Marth? There are alot of Marths where I live, and I just can't get the hang
of beating them.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero

SSBBsquared8

Smash Rookie
but, wait...i know this attack is rarely used, but for zelda, can't you use the side-b to get her in the air, than u-smash or u-air? because the side-b doesn't get her that high in the air so you can u-smash, or if she goes high you can u-air.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
side B doesn't have alot of priority and the positioning it to land in the right spot for a follow up can be tricky. priority wise Zelda can Up, Fsmash or Nayru you when you zoom close.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
is it just me or is Bowser really underrated vs Fox.........he ***** fox's dair by using up-b out of sheild, he can be a real pain

Duo55

Smash Ace
Fair DESTROYS bowser. You can beat even the best bowser by simply laser bait, lagless fair, fair, fair. The only thing you gotta whach for is the falling fire breath. If he tries it, jump right above him, and Illusion him, or if you have enough room, jump over the fire and Dair to U-smash (or u tilt depending on %) but yeah, if you have any sort of prediction, he literally won't be able to touch the ground if you spam Fairs. If he goes to high to link the fair chains together, he'll do one of two things: He'll try to use d-b to get back on stage (punish with a U-smash, or U- air depending the stage), or try to air dodge his way to the ground, Just make him waste his air dodge, and while hes imobile in the dodge, get right over top of him with a fair, and as soon as he comes out of his I frames, hell catch another fair, and get sent right back up. Also, pick levels with platforms, they make it that much easier to avoid his attacks, and land more fairs. I'm not saying to just spam one move to win, use tact, but its an easy win. The McCloud 70/30 Fat turtle

Duo55

Smash Ace
ok i think its established that Fox has a big advantage on bowser, but why are you reviving a dead topic?
Umm, in case you couldn't tell, it was human error, and I didnt realize it was dead untill just afew moments ago. Perhaps if it concerns you that much, you should PM a mod and get them to take it off sticky, and let it die.

theUndead_feature

Smash Cadet
Zelda really isn't an issue, when you can shine her side-b and then use your side-b to close the distance. If your side-b hits, use n-air to d-air to d-smash. Then you can be relentless with your dash attacks or be really really relentless with a u-tilt to a u-air. There, 'nuff said about that stock for Zelda.

Zelda fight, 3/5.

M@v

Subarashii!
Zelda really isn't an issue, when you can shine her side-b and then use your side-b to close the distance. If your side-b hits, use n-air to d-air to d-smash. Then you can be relentless with your dash attacks or be really really relentless with a u-tilt to a u-air. There, 'nuff said about that stock for Zelda.

Zelda fight, 3/5.
yeah, this thread is way dead dude. Check out the other matchup thread, we are discussion Zelda/sheik there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom