• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

THE DREAMLAND INVASION: "Kirby Character Discussion Thread"

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Adding Bandana Dee would be similar to adding Koopa Trooper or Goomba for Mario or like adding Moblin for LOZ lol

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Adding Bandana Dee would be similar to adding Koopa Trooper or Goomba for Mario or like adding Moblin for LOZ lol
Bandana Dee is more like adding Yoshi. He's a specific and important member of his species.

Bandana Dee actually has character.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi is the more apt comparison. And personally I think with how iconic Waddle Dees are as a race to the Kirby universe that Bandana Dee makes sense as a new Kirby rep. Yes, Kirby is fine with the core three represented, but I think it's a big enough series that it could use more, and Bandana Dee seems like a good choice for that.

Mari

Saving the planet from disaster!
I only want two things Kirby-wise in the next SSB: Marx as a boss and Magolor as some kind of helper (Or better yet, a playable character. A girl can dream!)

Nintendo does that, and I'll be happy.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I think Kirby deserves a boss, but who is kind of hard to say. Just so long as it's not Whispy. May be the most recurring, but wouldn't be that exciting of a boss. And Magolor playable would be the best thing just about. Assist is more what I expect at best, but he would be so much fun if I could play as him.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think Kirby deserves a boss, but who is kind of hard to say. Just so long as it's not Whispy. May be the most recurring, but wouldn't be that exciting of a boss. And Magolor playable would be the best thing just about. Assist is more what I expect at best, but he would be so much fun if I could play as him.
Kracko would be a perfect boss!

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Kracko would work a lot better than Whispy Woods. Personally I'd prefer Mark, Dark Matter, or 02 though. They feel a lot more interesting to see. But then again Rayquaza is hardly the boss I'd pick for Pokemon, so who really knows. Kracko is at least one of the iconic Kirby foes.

IAm2Sarcastic4U

Smash Journeyman
I would love for 02 to return, so that would be my choice for a Kirby boss! The boss fight theme would an accoustic version of the O2 Battle in The Crystal Shards.

:phone:

Wondra

Smash Cadet
I personally don't feel the Kirby needs "new" reps per se, but there is some expansion that's considerable.

Inspired by the idea of having alternate, unlockable costumes, I think it's about time that Kirby be able to utilize some of his abilities in Smash, i.e. Fighter, Beam, Fire, Sword, etc..

Again, these would be costume unlocks, not something he would acquire During battle. And just to make it more interesting and authentic, I think the abilities should be able to be knocked out of him as well. But upon returning after having been knocked off screen, he should don the costume again.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather see Kirby utilize his Copies in his various moves more. More fun for me, since I like the idea of Kirby pulling out a Copy ability for each A attack (maybe not each).

Wondra

Smash Cadet
I'd rather see Kirby utilize his Copies in his various moves more. More fun for me, since I like the idea of Kirby pulling out a Copy ability for each A attack (maybe not each).
Idk, I feel that'd severely limit the potential for each copy. Many of them very full movesets as it is. Personally (being an avid Kirby fan), I'd like to be able to see them perform at the capacity they've been provided before. But that's just me...

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I'd like that too, but it isn't vaguely realistic. A Kirby fighting game is an entirely viable concept, with the Helpers representing various movesets, Kirby and Co being like they are in SSB, and Waddle Dee (Spear), Ribbon, Magolor, and various others appearing as well. But Kirby isn't going to get that much, or really shouldn't, as much as I love the series. It'd be like Mario getting each of his powerups as separate forms.

Wondra

Smash Cadet
I'd like that too, but it isn't vaguely realistic. A Kirby fighting game is an entirely viable concept, with the Helpers representing various movesets, Kirby and Co being like they are in SSB, and Waddle Dee (Spear), Ribbon, Magolor, and various others appearing as well. But Kirby isn't going to get that much, or really shouldn't, as much as I love the series. It'd be like Mario getting each of his powerups as separate forms.
That'd be nice as well. ^_^

But sure, realistically we can't expect Smash to boast such detail; Which is actually a huge problem in my mind, simply because Smash's potential and popularity merit a large and talented enough team to accommodate such demands. But that's a different discussion all together..

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't want a massive number of X Kirby though anyways. Helpers sure, but not just Kirby, so there is that too. And honestly they'd need a massive team to fit all of the cool figures they could make. Even if we're talking about 20 per series I'm sure some could fit more (though some would likely be collapsed like Ice Climbers into generic Retro with ROB and Mr. Game and Watch).

Wondra

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't want a massive number of X Kirby though anyways. Helpers sure, but not just Kirby, so there is that too. And honestly they'd need a massive team to fit all of the cool figures they could make. Even if we're talking about 20 per series I'm sure some could fit more (though some would likely be collapsed like Ice Climbers into generic Retro with ROB and Mr. Game and Watch).
Idk, I'm a programmer / designer myself. Sure, it's just web design and backend coding, but I can't imagine that it's much different, or rather much more work.

Personally, I'm able to get things done fairly quickly (dolo, i might add) as long as I'm familiar with whatever language I'm using. Call me pessimistic, but with a sizable and experienced team, diving deeper / more intimately into Nintendo's lush past (paying each franchise commendable attention) shouldn't be that big of a problem.

It'll only make the game better, imo.

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I never said it wouldn't, I just think that it's a great deal more of an undertaking than it appears to be at first glance with the intention of keeping things relatively balanced and unique. Heck, Fire Emblem alone could easily fill a game, has somewhere along the lines of over 200 characters by now I'm sure. If it doesn't I'm kind of surprised, but I'm not really watching how many characters it has.

Wondra

Smash Cadet
I never said it wouldn't, I just think that it's a great deal more of an undertaking than it appears to be at first glance with the intention of keeping things relatively balanced and unique. Heck, Fire Emblem alone could easily fill a game, has somewhere along the lines of over 200 characters by now I'm sure. If it doesn't I'm kind of surprised, but I'm not really watching how many characters it has.
I think we're on the same page.
I'm just being a bit less understanding of Nintendo not matching Smash's concept with it's respective content, stubbornly so even. I see no excuse given Nintendo's tenure in this industry (resources), and Smash's raw success (ability to make demands from Nintendo).

In a way, this also speaks to Sakurai's recent RSI findings. To me, as Director (putting his commendable willingness to contribute aside), he should be able to be virtually non-existant in terms of hard-core coding, and have the option of functioning purely as a content / aesthetic visionary.

I guess what I'm saying is that getting things done, and in a timely fashion, shouldn't be a problem at this point, simply because Smash has earned that from Nintendo.

But like I said, maybe I'm trippin. ^_^

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I think it's kind of hard to say. But if it was as easy as it appears to be I think Nintendo would do it more often. For one reason or another they aren't, and I can't imagine Sakurai's involvement in things is the only reason why.

Wondra

Smash Cadet
I think it's kind of hard to say. But if it was as easy as it appears to be I think Nintendo would do it more often. For one reason or another they aren't, and I can't imagine Sakurai's involvement in things is the only reason why.
Of course not, but as you said, it seems to be unavoidable at this point.

My thinking was just that maybe Smash hasn't ben assigned a large enough team. Which again, could very well be the only reason things may take as long as previous experiences would denote that that they will.

But then again, Melee was completed in 10 months. Personal quarrels aside, it got done, and fast. Which makes one wonder why Brawl took so long...

But I'm talking this to death.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

What else from the Kirby Franchise would you like to see included in Smash 4?

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
I already listed my top five aways back. Beyond that I like the idea of various items and such, but I think most of the good ideas (without being too odd) are in already. I really would like to see the Parasol return though.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Waddle Dee is pretty much the Goomba of Kirby. In Kirby's Dreamland he is the first enemy you encounter and you fight him throughout the game. The same is true in Kirby's Adventures. Waddle Dee is a basic suck up and shoot out enemy.

Yoshi has far more depth than Waddle Dee. He has his own series as well as appeared in all the Mario spin-offs as a playable character.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Waddle Dee is pretty much the Goomba of Kirby. In Kirby's Dreamland he is the first enemy you encounter and you fight him throughout the game. The same is true in Kirby's Adventures. Waddle Dee is a basic suck up and shoot out enemy.
Bandana Dee, however, is a fully playable character in Return to Dream Land, and had supporting roles in Super Star(opponent in Megaton Punch) and KSS Ultra(King DeDeDe's personal assistant in Revenge of the King).

volbound1700

Smash Master
Fine, Bandana Dee is Goombarella since she is a playable character in a Mario RPG game. Now what would be Bandana Dee's moveset?

I wouldn't object heavily to Bandana Dee but Prince Fluff IMO seems to be a far better add, especially with moveset potential.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

volbound1700

Smash Master
shinpichu, I disagree about being a better choice (mostly due to moveset potential) but I am going to drop this because I shouldn't be attacking your choice for the game and if you guys like Waddle Dee then I hope he is in the next game. I would rather have him then not have him (I could also say that about over 90% of the choices although I really don't want Tingle lol).

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Same. Though I would be disappointed if a bunch of characters I wanted didn't get in and only characters I was neutral or against did. And I'd say Prince Fluff or Bandana Dee could be equally versatile. One thing I think that could be interesting is if Waddle Dee could do a Beam attack like Waddle Doo. Mostly basing it off of the Waddle Dee/Doo in Kirby 64, and would open his moveset up a smidge more. But that's more generic Waddle Dee, I think Bandana Dee with just the spear is viable as it is.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What would Bandana Dee's FS be come to think of it?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What would Bandana Dee's FS be come to think of it?
The opposite of Waddle Dee army... King Dedede army. :laugh:
Jokes aside, it could be some kind of spear based critical hit like Ephraim does in FE: Sacred Stones.

:phone:

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Prince Fluff, in all likelihood, isn't appearing again. At least Bandana Dee has, perhaps even in 64 as a precursor to his current role. Kirby rarely repeats spin-offs, or even characters in general, which is one of the big issues with expanding his representation. And who knows, with the new Yoshi game, perhaps Prince Fluff is more likely to appear in that, at least it has the stylism somewhat.

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
I think Gooey and Rick would make a great addition to Smash's Roster. They both are pretty unique in their own way (one is a limbless creature and the other one is a giant hamster!). I believe Gooey should be able to change Rick with other Animal Friend via its B down (maybe Coo and Kine because they were the first Animal Friends created for Kirby's Dream Land 2 along with Rick). This way we could fight as a feather duster owl and as a light bulb fish as well as Rick's abilities.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
I think Gooey and Rick would make a great addition to Smash's Roster. They both are pretty unique in their own way (one is a limbless creature and the other one is a giant hamster!). I believe Gooey should be able to change Rick with other Animal Friend via its B down (maybe Coo and Kine because they were the first Animal Friends created for Kirby's Dream Land 2 along with Rick). This way we could fight as a feather duster owl and as a light bulb fish as well as Rick's abilities.
Sorry to say this, but Gooey and the Animal Friends just aren't likely. The "Dark Matter Trilogy" (Kirby's Dreamland 2, 3, and Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards) were not directed by Sakurai, which is why they are so different from the others. The extent of his involvement with those games is unknown but minimal. The only mention of him in the credits is "voice acting," assumed to be the voice of Dedede, in the Crystal Shards. We have no idea of what Sakurai thinks of these games, and the characters closely associated with this era haven't been used outside of cameos for over a decade. The only one I might consider is Dark Matter, but he is (pun intended) a shot in the dark.

Really, when it comes to new Kirby representatives, it is going to be Bandana Waddle Dee or bust. Waddle Dees can claim to be in every Kirby game, something not even King Dedede, Wispy Woods, or Kracko can boast, have made several playable roles, have a specific and popular representative (HAL has even referenced how popular Waddle Dees have become), and seem to be on the rise in importance. Call me a supporter of him, though I do have my doubts about Bandana Dee's appearance.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Just like in the Zelda Games, the Kirby Games doesn't have enough outstanding Hero Characters.
This, I believe, is one of the reasons we've got Link, Toon Link and Young Link.

As for the Kirby Games, I want either Gooey or Yarn Kirby.
Yarn Kirby needs to be as far from a clone as possible, though, or we'll get just another awkward Toon Link Character :/

Really, when it comes to new Kirby representatives, it is going to be Bandana Waddle Dee
But... He's so stale/blunt.

edit:
:troll:?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Didn't know there was a thread for this.

Also, I noticed activity in the thread stopped just a few days before I joined the site.

is that a bad sign...?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I love Kirby discussions, I didn't know this was a thread either...
How would everyone feel about Marx as a playable character?
Not that it will happen, but man, Marx is cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom