• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fox Video & Critique Thread - READ OP.

MegaMan087

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I just went to my first tournament and did OK with my Fox, but there is definite room for improvement. Please feel free to critique the crap out of my matches because I truly want to get better. I'm going to apologize upfront for the bad quality and background noise. Sorry.

Megaman087 (Fox) vs. .H (Samus) Round 1

Megaman087 (Fox) vs. .H (Metaknight) Round 2

Megaman087 (Fox) vs. Snake Round 1

I guess I'm looking for the specific and general critiques. Thanks for taking the time and helping.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
Ok, I just went to my first tournament and did OK with my Fox, but there is definite room for improvement. Please feel free to critique the crap out of my matches because I truly want to get better. I'm going to apologize upfront for the bad quality and background noise. Sorry.

Megaman087 (Fox) vs. .H (Samus) Round 1

Megaman087 (Fox) vs. .H (Metaknight) Round 2

Megaman087 (Fox) vs. Snake Round 1

I guess I'm looking for the specific and general critiques. Thanks for taking the time and helping.
It looks like you're being predictable. You seem to make poor choices of approaches (like dash attacks) and they evade right out of the way. Try not to land F-airs infront of people. Don't F-smash people at point blank. They seem to be getting you on your landings so mix it up where you're going and improve on your mobility. Don't land on people all the time. Control your movements with Illusions and shine stalling. Also, be more careful with your U-smashes. It doesn't really matter if you use it once or twice in succession (although it's better as a one hit ordeal) but you can't keep missing with it. People know it's on your mind and it's very easy to knock you right after doing it. It cuts on your mobility and that seems to be your weakest point. Although proper defense and shielding is in there too but I can't just tell you to take less hits now can I?

MegaMan087

Smash Apprentice
It looks like you're being predictable. You seem to make poor choices of approaches (like dash attacks) and they evade right out of the way. Try not to land F-airs infront of people. Don't F-smash people at point blank. They seem to be getting you on your landings so mix it up where you're going and improve on your mobility. Don't land on people all the time. Control your movements with Illusions and shine stalling. Also, be more careful with your U-smashes. It doesn't really matter if you use it once or twice in succession (although it's better as a one hit ordeal) but you can't keep missing with it. People know it's on your mind and it's very easy to knock you right after doing it. It cuts on your mobility and that seems to be your weakest point. Although proper defense and shielding is in there too but I can't just tell you to take less hits now can I?
Thanks for the speedy response. I'll be sure to incorporate these ideas into my gameplay. I find that the hardest part of the match for me is ending it. I can get someone down to final stock %100+, but landing the final blow is difficult. Also, I need to build up the confidence to follow people off the stage more.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I don't have any videos, but can anyone play my Fox on wifi before tomorrow afternoon? I'm home for the weekend but going back to wii-less college tomorrow.

I've only been playing Fox for like 4 days, but he's ridiculously fun and I'd say I'm decent, though awfully predictable at times.

Anyway, send me a PM if you want to play, Fox dittos, or better yet, if any of you play a good Snake...since I think I might start trying Fox vs. Snake instead of Kirby >_> and maybe against Marth too, and some of Kirby's other terrible matchups

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Too many videos and college started. Fox boards needs to help critiquing these; I'll get to them when I can.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnED5ndKvMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu3n363wYGA

some critique here would be very useful... I am the blue fox but if you can it would be great if you can critique also the other fox that is a friend of mine... later I would put some other matches

thanks in advance... (sorry Zhamy if put you more work to do)
Both of you stick to a very secure set of options with grabs and aerials, I guess that's Fox in a nutshell. Although you were more reckless with yours and Slash just completely read you towards the end and other match. You can see how he toned down his flow and started blocking everything.

Well there's "some critique".

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
ok yea video 2 was really stupid all you had to do wa stay on the boat and wait if is gona water camp there not mucch you can do, so I repeat just stay on the boat,yes you will be going nowhere but you also won't have lost lives wirhout a real fight.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Iblis was so cute playing fox =P not in a patronising way but it was just nice to see someone NOT doing all the usual stuff Fox mains do such as constant D-airs to U-tilts. That being said, U-tilt on DK can link to N-airs or B-air like a charm and if you do rising F-airs from the ledge, you can catch larger characters off guard. Still, you put up a decent fight, just play more and you'll develop your own style very soon =).

Psy.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
Hey I was kinda curious if you guys could rate my Fox and give me some pointers on what to do in video number 2.
[VIDEO 1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvN3xHZs468
[VIDEO 2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYvNbvB2uHg
[VIDEO 3] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_EzsEzVZuk
Shine him once, jump back on the boat. Drain the timer. Actually go back to the other side so he can't PKT you. If he does jump back on, use your lasers from a distance and run away again.

Johrune

Smash Cadet
Also, on your 2nd video, make better use of your aerials. You kept trying to shine him, when a d-air or n-air would work. D-airing into water is a bit safer since you both lag by going under water. Once you are ahead in % just go back on the boat and wait for him, because you will win the match if time runs outs. Be patient.

Personally, when my opponent does this on Pirate Ship, I attempt to b-air them into the ship for an insta-kill. It's a bit risky, but... sometimes I have trouble being patient. :ohwell:

-Johrune

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
You can actually shine "infinite" somebody in the water or at least push him closer to the ship if you JC shine while you're swimming. You'll sink down to the boundary of the screen and come back up maybe for another shine. Yes, Fox can dive.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
It's not my best work, but it's all I got. I grab a lot more usually, but whatever, critique away :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9l4ap46Z-Q
You're too stale. For some miracle of a reason that Ike couldn't read/react to you. But all he needed were a few good hits and you were gone. He basically just "took it" most of the time. I'm guessing this was online. As you can see on the video description he was also distracted by the want of a D-tilt spike so he ignored proper edgeguarding. Grabbing Ike isn't much of a necessity. He is more vulnerable to baiting which you, obviously, didn't need as Ike didn't block. But hey, a match is a match.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
You're too stale. For some miracle of a reason that Ike couldn't read/react to you. But all he needed were a few good hits and you were gone. He basically just "took it" most of the time. I'm guessing this was online. As you can see on the video description he was also distracted by the want of a D-tilt spike so he ignored proper edgeguarding. Grabbing Ike isn't much of a necessity. He is more vulnerable to baiting which you, obviously, didn't need as Ike didn't block. But hey, a match is a match.
It was offline. He has some problems vs. my Fox for whatever reason. It wasn't his best match either, but like I said, it's the only match I have recorded. There was a lot of "what the ****"s coming from him that match. But it was a friendly and sometimes Palpi gets a little obsessed with getting dtilt spikes. I'll see if I can get a better match recorded.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
You do Dair alot at the beginning. Don't spam that move. It's good for racking up damage but constantly using it isn;t the right thing to do. Nair is alot better.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
N-air isn't a better choice, it's an alternate choice.

Against a shield, D-air
Against a spot dodge, either
Against someone who won't shield, N-air

Against a smart player, B-air

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Charby (Fox) VS Bjay (Fox)
Charby (Fox) VS Bjay (Falco)

Friendlies From Yesterday
Offline, No tripping and Japanesse Voice
Both you and the other guy are predictable to hell and back. He Daired everything, and you were only slightly better. There's not much to say except learn Fox's options thoroughly. Giving a full critique would mostly consist of "Don't Dair, Don't Usmash, Watch your spacing."

Second match is more of the same, except Falco's Dair actually works to punish you trying to beat it out in the air. Be less predictable. Learn Fox's options. There's really not much else to critique in there, so practice more.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
N-air isn't a better choice, it's an alternate choice.

Against a srunken shield, D-air
Against a spot dodge, Nair
Against someone who won't shield, Either (more preferably Dair)

Against a smart player, B-air (perfect)
Just wanted to change a couple of things that didn't seem right.

But you're best bet to alternate between them, but Dairing is saved for laggy moves you are sure punish.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Alright guys, some of the best Fox dittos around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Of8HpK9Qvc&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSw-bu1pxHI&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtLwMhSKy5Y&fmt=18

Sorry about the loss in quality I had to use my mac dazzle for speed. Next time I'll upload using PC I swear.

And please read the description before you say anything about me being unfair to monkey. Trust me I think he got his fair share of Fox glory.

EDIT: Watch in normal quality if the video starts to get laggy, not the internet, but I mean if the video starts to skip frames.

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
ha, i read the three stocking someone rule thing and kinda died a little inside cause i always do that... BUT i do believe i can improve so i will politely ask, can someone please tear my fox down?

can't post on youtube, i don't have the stuff for recording a replay so i was hoping someone could just take a look at the replay for me.

please and thanks

Sorgens

Smash Cadet
Wow great games Lightning, just finished watching them. You guys had some nasty gimps and combos going on.

Top Bottom