• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fox Video & Critique Thread - READ OP.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
Thankyou. ^^

(I ussually dont use lazors because I dont wanna be named as a spam. )
lol, get rid of that mindset right now. thats a complete scrub mentality:psycho:.
If it works use it, and if you win you win.

@Twinkieftw's fox video
your approaches are very straight forward and predictable, you had a lot of useless shines, that even if they did hit wouldn't have done much at all.
I saw you using lasers from super close range and on the ground no less, that is just all kinda of bad.
and there was almost no combos at all, put some up tilts and drills in there.
I also saw a firefox that seemed to just be thrown in there, thats also bad.
plus that marth missed with an up-b and you had ample time to punish him for it but instead wasted 2 shines trying to hit him, and the 3rd hit but wasn't very effective,
a charged smash would have worked nicely, or use the opertunity to start a combo or something.

end brutal reply :p

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Yea, Okay. I see.. If they get mad, then they will just want to beat me more, Knowing they cant win. Who knows, But ill start using more lazors.

§witch

Smash Lord
Here's a video of mine to critique, I'll critique someone else's before i post it actually, I'll edit it all in in a sec.

Neon's fox

Right from the start, you ran at marth, don't do that; Laser camp. Also don't needlessly use your usmash, you need it fresh against marth.

This trend you needless aggressiveness seems to continue on for the rest of match, watch that.

0:38- you had a great opportunity to punish that missed DS, never use firefox aggressively.
1:45- same as above, you need to work on your punishment game.

Basically, it was the same sequence of events repeating itself, you being needlessly aggressive followed by you missing punishment opportunities. Just work on the basics, punishing, spacing, etc.

Good luck.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Okay, your Fox needs a lot of work. Your fundamentals are shoddy. Just take a look at 0:00. "This video is unavailable." Seriously? You've been around the Fox boards long enough to know better than to use that.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
Okay, your Fox needs a lot of work. Your fundamentals are shoddy. Just take a look at 0:00. "This video is unavailable." Seriously? You've been around the Fox boards long enough to know better than to use that.
vs Fox it's 0:100 in YouTube's favor.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Alright this has got to be some of the funniest, most epic, luckiest matches I have ever played. It must be green Fox, I used him to abuse "The Luck of the Irish."

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNYQmzq-Pcg

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq6Mh1TPpEA

I didn't want to mention the Marth's name, he's my friend, but I don't think he knows I uploaded this XD!

P.S. I recommmend watching in high quality, it actually works this time!

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Keep in mind that my advice may be flat out wrong, obvious, or not helpful...
meh.

0:44 - I was about to say random fsmash, but I realized that Wilda did a uair that didn't connect. I would have gone for a grab, expecting him to sheild upon landing, but he didn't. So I don't know...

1:07 - Nice.

1:47 - The cancelled illusion to the ledge was a good idea, but Wilda was expecting it and punished. And it was kind of obvious that he was trying to get you there, so a regular illusion would have gone well...or just as well.

1:57 - I'd have done a full illusion to the ledge here - had Wilda been paying attention, he (might) have gotten to the ledge and then came back up to kill you during firefox landing lag. I think.

2:08 - Lol.

2:16 - Not sure if this is really a mistake, but you didn't seem to have options coming down to him, but he did and you got killed for it.

3:20 - THE MUSIC LOOPED OH MY GOODNESS

3:45 - I can't tell if you tried to gimp him or just recover here....either way, it was pretty dangerous.

4:10 - THE SCREEN WENT BLACK OH MY GOODNESS.

As far as I could tell, you were pretty good, with nice sheilding and approaches (yay SHADS). You got a little obvious on the smashes when you were trying to finish off his second stock, and you didn't always use the best recovery options.

./me trying to help

A6M Zero

Smash Ace
Opening seconds - SHDL's need to be timed so the height is better, don't just shoot lasers as soon as you jump. The second laser shouldn't even make a sound when it fires.

0:47 - Airdodge when you drop is poor, you lose invincibility just as you're coming to the ground and then have landing lag from the fall, do a backair or wait longer to airdodge.

0:49-50 - Dashing too far, you won't be very effective approaching if you don't pressure you're opponent very much. Every time to run past them like that you reset and lose your approach. Shorter dashes, more shields.

In between note, get more accustomed to shining projectiles, you keep getting hit.

1:08 - You got lucky with this kill, better would have been to keep walking and slide a downsmash as he reached the ledge.

1:16 - Don't do backairs like that after a full hop, it's too telegraphing.

1:22 - This should of course been a grab after the utilts

In between note - Stay off platforms as much as possible, Fox is very poor on them.

That's pretty much all the main non-match specific things. I didn't see a real problem with you're recoveries save the one edgehog.

On the other hand, your approaches need work. You need to be accustomed to using the shine when called for, and pressuring your opponent better in your approaches. Other than that, it's just a matter of using the right tools at the right time for you.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
0:00 - Why not default Brawl sound? WHY?

0:19 - Every time an Usmash doesn't connect, I die a little more on the inside.

0:48 - Up until this point, your spacing was excellent. Wolf's only real option was to telegraph laggy attacks (which meant free damage if you shielded them), but then you seem to get panicky. You lose your footing and your good spacing.

0:56 - Your frametrap got owned. I'm sure you know the options out of jabbing a shield, so use them more.

1:05 - You've used Dsmash so much this match already.

1:22 - If you see them DI-ing that way, go for the grab.

1:43 - What were you trying with weak hit Nair->Utilt, especially at that percent?

1:48 - Only thing that saved you was Wolf hitting you.

1:52 - Wrong way lasers OFF THE STAGE.

2:08 - Laser pressure lolz

2:15 - Seriously? Why would you stay above Wolf at that percent?

2:32 - Jab->Dsmash is not the only frametrap you have

3:02 - USMASH! WHERE WAS IT?

4:04 - There was not enough room for an effective PWG.

4:08 - WTF? How did he not see that Dair coming?

Overall solid, just practice more. Space better, since you get really sloppy at times.

§witch

Smash Lord
Green fox is clearly mine anyways.

Thanks for the critique guys, oh and Zhamy, about the no brawl sounds, i can't record audio now for whatever reason, i had no choice.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
WHEN WAS THIS A CRITIQUE THREAD??? Lol, I'm so confused...

Of course you guys feel free to make some comments on my Fox as well, I know there are things I should do that I don't, and I just want to see if where I think I could improve is the same as in other's opinions.

Twinkieftw

Smash Cadet
Thanks for Critiquing.
Neon's taking your advice already and stopped shining randomly. xD
Trying to prepare him for a tourney :B

*PALADIN*

Smash Apprentice

Of course you guys feel free to make some comments on my Fox as well, I know there are things I should do that I don't, and I just want to see if where I think I could improve is the same as in other's opinions.
hey man you did well agianst the marth! i wouldnt listen to AvaricePanda, i think to did superb. my advice to you is to do more of the short hop sexkick and then down Smash. grabing is cool too. it works for me but the way i see it, you'll do fine. PLUS! you should consider shine hovering too! its a good way to play mindgames with your opponent. i give a vid of what im talking about.

cool vid by the way of you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5dQYnFflH8

this is my vid of my fox.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda

Lol Xiivi wanted to fuse threads together. I know own the video, critique, tourney, and directory.

=D lulz!

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
hey man you did well agianst the marth! i wouldnt listen to AvaricePanda, i think to did superb. my advice to you is to do more of the short hop sexkick and then down Smash. grabing is cool too. it works for me but the way i see it, you'll do fine. PLUS! you should consider shine hovering too! its a good way to play mindgames with your opponent. i give a vid of what im talking about.

I never critiqued Lightning's Fox. I never said anything bad about the fox that I did critique. o_o

And I have no tournament placings/reputation so you shouldn't listen to anything I say, =P.

Lightning93

Smash Champion

Yeah I saw that, that was a great vid.

And thanks! I do need more sexkick I think, and a d-smash would be a great follow-up. My friend knows a lot about my Fox, and he knows about my shinegames, so I didn't want to end up with a tipped-move in the face lol.

*PALADIN*

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I saw that, that was a great vid.

And thanks! I do need more sexkick I think, and a d-smash would be a great follow-up. My friend knows a lot about my Fox, and he knows about my shinegames, so I didn't want to end up with a tipped-move in the face lol.
yeah smart move! don do anthing that he knows what you can do with the shinehover like mindgames from above.

i would suggest that you use the shinehover as mindgame coming back to the stage like my vid i showed you. its an easy way to recover with hardly any punishment.
if works for you than your on you way to becoming a real good fox player, but if not its all cool. it doesnt work for everybody.

Zhamy

Smash Champion

"I'm winning." @ 4:41

TOO GOOD LOL.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
EDIT:
deleted vids since they were terrible and i knew it, i really need to fight some one good so it brings me up to the level i know im at. When fighting someone bad get away with to many mistakes.

Zeton

Smash Lord
NNID
ZetonX

*PALADIN*

Smash Apprentice
So how do I go about posting videos? Do I just put the url in my post?

Many thanks to Joker for getting these videos uploaded on Youtube!

-Friendlies with ChaosTheoryX-
R1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG3TwmMyEQk&feature=channel_page
R2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-YSLLVbocE&feature=channel_page
R3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3hadSBsa_A&feature=channel_page

-tournament match at NO KOAST-
R1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6UGyjOGGOA&feature=channel_page
R2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGaphO1BODc&feature=channel_page
yeeaah!! thats my boy! good stuff man, also i see some new cool techs in those vids!
by the way, if you ever want to really punish DK use the Dair and up tilt alternativly. use the dair,utilt,dair,utilt, dair, grab or dSmash, use that in that order. i'll get a video me fighting a DK and you'll see how i do it, but you did great! i thought id share how i fight him.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
@ Vickey.

Okay so a few tips:

I noticed you were jumping around a lot, during that time you could have been throwing in a few lasers now and then.

When you recover, F-air is essential to use. Time using it right after your double jump for an extra lift, so you can quickly use your Illusion instead of risking a gimp while charging Fire Fox.

If you're going to go for an up-tilt lock, I would suggest learning how to reverse it back and forth for maximum damage. Also, learn how to follow up up-tilt lock besides just using grabs, try throwing in a n-air or up-smash sometimes.

Otherwise, I would like to commend you for recovering from that Squirtle's own up-tilt lock.

*PALADIN*

Smash Apprentice
Hey, im vickey and i just want to know if anyone can give me any fox tips to improve and hers a video of me at a tournament:: playing a pokemon trainer

Vickey (Fox) vs Magik (Pokemon Trainer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-iKUgVNAUE

pleeeeeeaseeeee! <3 <3 <3
also here are my tips to you.

when you envade, try to use the short hop sexkick dsmash, sexkick just right about when you hit the ground then hit the c-stick down. it does at least 23% damage. i dont fight alot of pokemon trainers, but the best pokemon matchup is charizard cause you can utilt him pretty good. with squertal (missed spelled that :confused:) you are gonna have to grab alot and space as well as you can withn the shine.

by the way, i was impressed how you use the shine hover as a mindgame, try useing it by recovering to the stage like if you were hanging of a ledge and your opponent is guarding you, jump up off the ledge and shine a couple times to trick your opponent that you are doin a illusion. heres an example.watch 3:19

§witch

Smash Lord
Holy **** man. Your fox is epic, there're a few things you slipped up on, like not punishing fast enough, but you definitely know when you messed up. there's not much i can critique from that. but that was a crazily entertaining match.

Top Bottom