• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mages Present: The Cataclysm (Part One) RESULTS FIRST POST!

Banks

Smash Hero
That's true about getting eliminated early, unfortunately I'm too **** good to lose...

I'm definitely staying at least until all of my crew is out of the running. We'll see how long that is. I'm sure the prize money will make me feel better HAHAHA

OrkyDaBad

Smash Cadet
Alright, I'll definatley be coming, and probably be bringing along my friend Z-Non, we just need to get back into practice first, we're a little rusty.

Fleur de Lis

Smash Lord
Hey, if I bring my crew from Delaware, what's our options for housing and stuff? Because that's not the shortest drive in the world...

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Ah yes Fleur brings up a good question. Will housing be possible for those of us traveling from afar? Now I realize that I obviously have it much easier than most people and only have about a two hour drive, but if the tournament ends up going really late I'm not sure if it would be wise to drive back so late at night. I realize you have the place until 9, but I predict things going a bit later.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Fleur - Talk to myself or blackmage on AIM about housing. It should be not too big a problem. We just need to kno how many ppl we would need to house so that we could get you all a place to stay.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
as for housing we would need to know probably pretty soon to whip things up. Im sure i could have a few people at my house, and the same would go for green hunter and whitemage. As long as we have good notice we have no problem housing people.

and since we'll probably be running swiss your in the tourney no matter what until around 6:30/7 when we start the final bracket.

Fleur de Lis

Smash Lord
Alright, good stuff. I'll get in touch with one of you guys about how many people I would be bringing. It'd likely be 3-4 people. In any case, when I talk to them about going, I'll get back to you guys via AIM.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey I appreciate that, but I was just checking some info, and 10 hours is a bit of a drive even for me.

Not to mention that none of my buddies want to come...

So I guess I won't be coming after all.

Dang, I was really looking forward to this.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
on a side note, we'd like to support the calendar system, so if you plan on going or have a pretty good idea that you'll be there at our tournament, we would appreciate it if you signed up on the calendar. Not sure how? Under the tournaments section on the main page theres a section called tournament calendar. Maneuver your way to october 15th and click on our link. On that page you can notify the site that you'll be there. This helps us to know roughly how many are going, and it helps others to see who might be there. Thanks in advance.

KoreanDJ111

Smash Lord
I want to Money Match the following people for $5:

Omega White Mage
Omega Black Mage
Green Hunter
Wife
Husband
Orky
Z-non
RoyMaster2
Ultimate Roy
Bob Fungus
S.P.I.C. Tom
Hayato
Unknown Force
Eve
Yo-Yo
Zoso

Do any of you accept my challenge?

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Sure I'll accept. So lets see that makes 6 challenges so far.

Omegawhitemage
KoreanDJ
4 Maine guys

Anyone else?

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I'll think about it, Dan. It depends largely on how much disposable income I have by mid-October.

I've only played one money match in my Smash career (incidentally, it was against you). I don't really like playing for money on an individual level, but I'll consider it because we're friends.

One more thing: Anybody who wants to play some Smash 64 friendlies, bring a controller. I'm looking in your direction, Fall River.

Tetra

Smash Journeyman
T.I. will Def be comming to this so $5 MM for people I haven't played:

Mages
Green hunter
KoreanDjizzle

maybe others I'm forgetting

Wife

Smash Lord
this tournament sounds really really awesome, and team ben would love to go. it's a little less than 7 hours drive but we'd probably do it this thing looks like fun and plus it sounds like you already have a lot of people which is always great.

yeah but I had a few suggestions, I don't want to be rude but you asked me to look at this thread and I was just gonna tell you what I thought if thats cool.
so yeah i dont wanna be a **** so just take this as my opinion, k?

1) Maybe up the entrance fee? That would really help attract oosers, I for example would be more inclined to go if i thought there was more money in the pot, you know? like $15 per head but mostly i was thinking 10 per team is really cheap you not gonna have such a big pot to split.

2) let's do crews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! crews are freaking sweet like uncle jesse, man. already people are challenging each other so why not put together a crew tournament they are so much fun. if you have a gym and a lot of people why not make this ***** huge!

3) be wary of swiss format. team ben basically invented swiss format, lol, and I can tell you it's difficult. you have to have a very specific format to make sure things run smoothly, and IT WILL TAKE LONGER GAURENTEED. We had a mad smooth system and managing all those people is not easy so so so many matches and people to get in line. granted it wont be 120 like for gs2 but still, i would encourage double eli. you can do the whole **** thing on a computer so u know it won't mess up and u dont have to sweat so **** much u can chill and enjoy ur own tournament. im just saying from experience, swiss is difficult, double eli. is easy and efficient.
also, it messes up, it's not a perfect system. people complain and complain and complain and some of em are right some are wrong but ur backed in a corner have to make last minute decisions. can u tell im still stressed out from gs2?
but yeah, i, myself, my opinion, i would much rather just see double elimination seeded by crews. that way also u will have more time to a) just not be rushed and b) have other tournies like crew.

Anyway thats it whatever just my opinion but this looks really really fun i hope all of team ben can make it.

MONEY MATCHES
I'll accept from anyone besides the turtles and zanguzen.
so yeah korean you got it, plus whomever else would like to hop on, i'm good for any amount.

sorry for the long post im crazy bored at work over here.

ps did u know smashboards had many ****ing smilies??
:smiliegor :joyful: :teeth: :pimp:

BUHO

Smash Apprentice
yo attendance from THS not lookin so hot as of now. If anyone shows it'd prolly only be me and Zang... so we wouldnt do crews. We'd prolly just do teams and I'd prolly skip out on singles for freindlies. Mostly cuz im low on money. Money issues is whats keeping the attraction low for this event, no offense, its just really far.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
wife brings up an excellent point, should we scrap swiss and run double elim so we can favor crews? I also think that bumping the entrance fee up is a good idea, im just wondering if we'll lose attraction from people in the area if we do. So unless somebody has an objection to upping the price, we will probably do so.

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Hmm well I would certainly love to see crews occuring, but I don't see how it would be possible with the time given. Perhaps we could plan a possible crew tournament depending on how long teams takes? That way, we would be sure we would still have enough time to run singles, which is obviously the main attraction. I also naturally like the idea of double elim over swiss. Swiss takes a long time, while double elim would leave more time for other events and more fun. Of course if people are after a very nice and fair bracket, you could always do a round robin MLG style format to create the seedings (probably the best idea so long as there are plenty of tvs).

So far as the price increase, it certainly isn't a bad idea, but it makes sense to see how many people would end up not coming due to it. For instance, Wes overcharged for Gauntlet teams to a ridiculous rate and ended up with 7 teams, whereas he was likely to get at least 18 teams considering that there were over 40 people at most Gauntlet events. Now obviously, if he had lowered that rate by a small amount, a profit would have been made, and better yet, more people would have been able to play and have fun.

Wife

Smash Lord
Yeah but wes charged 15 a person i was just gonna say 10 a person even most local tournies do 10 a person.

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Point taken, although Wes actually charged 20 a person at first =P I agree though that 10 is more than fair, but I just think its important to make sure not to charge too much to the point of scaring some players away.

roymaster2

Smash Journeyman
ok, now that NSA is over, i'll try to see if i can go this this, and i'll try to bring the whole AZNI crew with me, so prepare :p

my money matches are only $1, cuz i am still broke, cept for OWmage, which i challenged like 3-4 months ago, and that remains $5

so any moneys?

Tetra

Smash Journeyman
QUOTE=roymaster2]
my money matches are only $1, cuz i am still broke, cept for OWmage, which i challenged like 3-4 months ago, and that remains $5

so any moneys?[/QUOTE]

ooooo nice, we got MM on the dollar menu now. Iight I'll take one.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I hereby challenge the Mages to a money match. Both of them.

Yes, that's right. A handicap match. You two versus me. $5.

And that's $5 from EACH of you.

Wife

Smash Lord
i saw you made changes in the first post...sweet.
this thing looks too good. just a few more weekends.
The Newlyweds are taking 1st in teams gauranteed.
Restart rule with only neutrals? That's a first, should be interesting. Hopefully it will begin to cut down on the johns. People who lost because of one of the neutrals (ridiculous).

my IM isn't working for some reason...but Team Ben will definitely need housing. 2-4 people -- we'll let you know.

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Team Ben just a possibility, but perhaps you guys could stay at my place again. It should be on your way to the event and an easy drive from my house (about an hour and a half). This would probably help the mages out too heh. Oh and my house is not the least bit out of the way either right off the highway (five minutes at most lol) and hopefully it will break the trip up a bit and make things easier for you guys.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
i think thats what they were actually planning on doing if they could. It would help a lot as both of us have small houses and although we could house them all, they would be split up. I think they'd proabably prefer staying with you guys as they'll all be in the same place.

On another note, do you guys want to run a crew battle tournament? If we are going to do it, its going to be a regional/crew deal, none of this "the best players crew up".

Wife

Smash Lord
KYLE! LOL look at you trying to convince us to stay at your place. That would be our #1 choice, believe us. there is a SLIGHT chance we would have to leave at 9 pm (ahh) and get there in the middle of hte night but i am gonna bust some skulls till i get off work. what i would like to do is get there really early and have a crazy fest for endless hours on Friday night. Like we could leave MD at 1 i think.
so is that official though? we're invited?? that'd be just perfect.

and yeah a crew tournament is a must. and I agree, only legit crews.

xHayatox

Smash Lord
count me in for teams :D Jones and Eve is pairing up for this and im pairing up with kalot and we gonna do alot of ching actions :D

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
alright we'll try our best to get a crew tournament running. Obviously the other two tournaments would take precedence, but we'll try our best. What would be a good suggested price for crews? 50 bucks a team? And is counterpicking people generally looked down upon (ex: the DA has dave in so you pick your best marth player to counter him) and should everything be predetermined beforehand? I should be able to get a rule set for this up soon.

Wife

Smash Lord
Here is what I suggest.

Each crew gets 20 stock. Crews may consist of 4-6 people. The stock must be distributed manually. Each team must decide on which characters they will be using, as well as who is starting for their team and write this down on a piece of paper. After the first double blind matchup, counter picks are allowed. Stage is random every time from 2 or 3 neutral stages. Although I personally don't think any stage is totally neutral except for FD. And it's the east coast so you could probably get away with all FD, lol.

I think you should encourage legit crews but allow anyone. Let's say oro/wife/husband make it but Neo gets shot by a po-lice and can't come. Should we not be allowed to enter? No, we might just grab some random dude and enter anyway. Wouldn't you agree?

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
LMAO!! Ok we're getting the crews going, and trying to see where it can fit in with time. I just want everyone to know that time is ridiculously strick so things must run quickly. Basically much attention must be paid to when you are playing as a penalty of some sort will be incurred if you don't show up on time. Obviously legit excuses are acceptable like the bathroom and such. But just not listening cuz you were too busy playing hackey sack or something, not quite as legit. So just keep in mind that to finish eveyone needs to be aware of what is going on, and this thing is going to get finished with teams, singles and crews no problem.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
ok those rules sound fair enough, wife. I like the idea of the double blind and counter picks, which is sorta what i was gettin at. Stages will probably be fd, pokestad, and one other, not sure at the moment. Im sorta in a toss up over the last stage. Battle favors marth, dreamland favors floaties (although im leaning to this stage), fod and yoshi's are terribly small (also favor marth).

The problem with making exceptions is that they might start to get warped and then end up at square one with non regional crews. I would probably say that only one member can be out of region/crew unless everyone thinks thats a bit harsh.

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Heh of course Chris it is certainly fine =P My family will most likely be more than happy since they commented to me about how nice all of you guys were, and it was fun having you guys over and the other MA players (who I haven't seen again but they were awesome guys too). Glad to be able to help out the Mages as well.

Oh and Hayato is Roga coming? I really hope so lol I really want to team with him for once at a tournament other than San Garden :p

Top Bottom