• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mages Present: The Cataclysm (Part One) RESULTS FIRST POST!

Wife

Smash Lord
omegawhitemage said:
So just keep in mind that to finish eveyone needs to be aware of what is going on, and this thing is going to get finished with teams, singles and crews no problem.
**** yeah, bust some heads. That's how you have to do it sometimes. I gave several people DQs durings GS2 if they didn't come play their matches. Ask TheNewb he was pretty pissed at me. But thats the only way you can get things done.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've decided that I want to go to this... any chance I could catch a carpool from someone from the NOVA/MD region?

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Omega I think you make a good point about stages. FD is obviously the most outright strategic stage out there. You simply face your opponent with no distractions from the stage of any sort. This means that you can spend your time learning and reading your opponents moves rather than spending time idiotically dodging pokemon or a boat that falls down from the sky (yet strangely enough MLG has yet to ban the second of this two terrible stages). Strategy is still possible on such stages, but it becomes much less significant as the battle usually turns into dealing with the stage moreso than the opponent.

Personally I believe the mix of FD, Pokestadium, and Dreamland is about as fair as possible. Pokestadium isn't quite as nice to the floaties as Dreamland is, and FD is still considered by most to be the most fair stage, so the three create a good level of fairness in that all characters can do well in at least one of those stages, while at the same time none of them can do exceptional at all of the stages either. I admit I'm not accounting for every single character on the tier list, but for the top eight I believe its highly fair in creating balance with these 3 stages, and personally I planned on using them as the stages for my event (none of that horrible corneria or mushroom kingdom *shudder*)

Wife

Smash Lord
ummm i vote all fd the entire tournament. every other stage banned. end of story.

or ok this is what i would like. first level FD, then counter picks after that from all the stages except the usually banned ones. that would be flippin sweet! like uncle jesse and his tight black jeans!!

ChosenOne

Smash Rookie
Ryan stop talking out of your ***, you know that im the best playa in da crew and im also the leader. You think your such hot **** cuz u can bad mouth me behind my back. The way I see it, u r just jealous cuz u cant be leader of this crew and u suck *** at smash! Later

ChosenOne

Smash Rookie
Pwnzor stop talking out of your ***, you know that im the best playa in da crew and im also the leader. You think your such hot **** cuz u can bad mouth me behind my back. The way I see it, u r just jealous cuz u cant be leader of this crew and u suck *** at smash! Later

KirbySan

Smash Cadet
i am entering this competition using low tiers. be prepared you basturds. :) except teams. 1v1 you can count on me using kirby or link.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Doors open at 11. Signups will be as soon as you enter the building between 11 and 13:30. By 12:30 we want to have teams going on all cylanders. At the latest it will start at 1. Signups for singles will take place until teams are over. Approximetly 3:00-3:30 if all goes as planned, and it will, because it just simply isn't an option for it to go otherwise. If time allows there will be a crew tournament held towards the end. Exact rules for this will be determined at a later time. But the one thing we will more than likely do is play only FD to make it the most fair. Any objections, feel free to post. Can't wait to see you all here, less than 2 weeks away!!

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I would agree that FD is the most balanced stage if it weren't for one factor: chainthrowing. Play Savath on FD with a fastfaller, and tell me if you still think it's fair. Perhaps I'm slightly biased, being a Falcon player, but our objective is to be as fair as possible, unless I'm mistaken. If forced to pick only one stage, I'd sooner choose PS than FD.

I for one see no problem with using the standard neutral stages. It's old news that some of these stages are not completely "neutral," but they all balance out when used in tandem. That is to say, Yoshi's Story favors Marth and Dream Land favors Peach, but not to such an extent as to completely throw everything off. That's the whole point of counterpicking, really. Knowing what stages are good for your character and how to deal with certain stages is just as important as knowing your character and their matchups.

Sorry to rant like that, but what I'm basically trying to say is that I don't think FD only is a good idea. It's not that I question the fairness of the stage. I just think people should be rewarded for counterpicking intelligent and truly knowing every facet of their character. Moreover, I'd think some would find playing nothing but FD for 8 hours boring.

ShiekPwnsu

Smash Cadet
yeah i agree with ZoSo FD isn't exactly fair so if its not no level is truely "Fair" just as long as u don't put battle field in cause u can get killed so easily by the platform lol.

Wife

Smash Lord
Sorry Adam, our car is full.

Usually for advanced slob picks the stage is picked first, then winner char, then loser char. Is there a reason you guys are doing it differently?

Really lookin forward to this, just 2 weeks away, should be a lot of fun.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Wife said:
Sorry Adam, our car is full.

Usually for advanced slob picks the stage is picked first, then winner char, then loser char. Is there a reason you guys are doing it differently?

Really lookin forward to this, just 2 weeks away, should be a lot of fun.
Huh. Yeah, you're right. I talked to the Mages about the current set of rules, and I guess I must've gotten it mixed up when I was explaining Advanced Slob Picks to them.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
yeah, to be honest i wasn't aware that there was a specific order to it. Does it exactly matter or rather should we change it?

Wife

Smash Lord
Yes it does matter. Because the winner gets the disadvantage of counterpick of characters, but not stages. He gets to at least know what stage he's playing on before he picks his character, so the matchup isn't too unfair.

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Hey Chris if you see me online can you message me regarding the time when you guys are planing on coming and which players are coming with you? Or you can PM me, whichever is easier. This tournament should be great can't wait!

roymaster2

Smash Journeyman
i'm hoping to make it to this thing.....

i prolly won't have the money to join tourney though, and i'll prolly just get the money matches over with...

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
as of right now with any luck we have 13 setups, if anyone can bring a tv,cube, or both that'd be great. Let me know as soon as possible. Also if anyone has any powerstrips that are just lying around, we could use those too. thanks in advance.

unknownforce

Smash Lord
I have an extra power strip which I can bring if you'd like. Maybe an extension cord too. They should come in handy if you guys need em, but let me know so I don't forget heh.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Tetra- if it's just you housing is np...hit me up on aim sometime and we'll work out the details.

Liney

Smash Cadet
Hey. I've been talking to you for a while about going to this tounrey and the whole time i've been trying to find a way to go. Well, I finally found a way. I will in fact be going to this tourney, I Just need some directions, of course. I can talk to you on AIm about that though. I hope you don't mind that I will be bring like, a few other people. Mainly because they are the ones who are driving me, so i said they could come because, well, one of the guys is driving and the other are friends and stuff. Only me and 3 other people. I didn't think you'd mind. Anyway, i'll talk to you on Aim sometime later this week and stuff.

BIG. G

Smash Apprentice
Banksyayogame50 said:
Ok im bringing like a hundred bucks...ill split it between anyone who wants a battle

I will be wearing a G-Unit shirt to the comp....find me there and ask for money matches....Ill be accepting. BRING IT!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. I will most likely be doign 5 buckers best 2 outta 3. I will only up the count if and only if I have a strange urge to kick someone's a$$ harder because they whine about upping the wager.

And yes pwnz0r and th0rn will be accepting money matches also find us there at the tourney look for a flamboyant g-unit shirt my crew will be with me ready to kick a$$. Idk about Mike hes a psycho...can't guess what he will do...

Jinx and Hayato I'll take you since you asked here. Anyone else just find me at the tourney and I'll see how much money I have left to put up. Should be alot though since I never lose.
not kidding.

~1~

wow... cant believe i missed that one... ur gonna have to change ur name tho cuz game aint in g-unit no more sir and yeah i NEED to money match u... but ima make sure im mad high when we play to challenge myself. :laugh:

sry for the double post...

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Big. G - Me n tetra have spoken and it looks like ull be all set for housing. So no worries.

Zanguzen

Smash Lord
LOL of course sats have to be the weekend before so im forced to work the 15th dam sorry ths wont be coming unless buho wants to drive to mass himself agh that suks good luck turks i wont be there to rep :(

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Zang nooooo :( Oh well I guess SATS takes priority although its a shame you can't take it at another date. I'll still most likely see you at the next Gauntlet though. I still owe you that money match since I was broke last time lmao I'll carry some extra cash this time. Care for some friendlies after? Lol good practice before the real tournament is always helpful and playing the current king should be good =)

unknownforce

Smash Lord
No Ths drat rotten luck =\

Well looks like this event is less than a week away! Maine guys are you still planing on attending? If so you all have money matches with me still hehe. I believe KoreanDJ and Omegawhitemage are my other money opponents, but are there any other players interested?

I hope we get a good showing. We've got Team Ben, DA, ALL of the turtles, and possibly the Turks coming to this event, so it promises to be a lot of fun. Azen might even come with Team Ben if they manage to have room which would be awesome and certainly possible since they've had people drop out at the last minute plenty of times. Remember guys anyone traveling with Team Ben is more then welcome at my house. In fact any other out of staters heading North to the event (and thus passing my house on the way) can stay too so long as they contact me first so I have an accurate idea of how many to expect. I think it would be great to have Azen at this event myself and hope he can make it. I still haven't talked to him for more than a few seconds and only played him once in a Link ditto but he's a real awesome guy :p Hope Neo and Oro can make it too haven't seen either of you guys in ages either heh and I bet you'll like seeing the infamous Aussie (my dog from the montage). Aho I hope you can come as well. Maybe you can travel with Rick and some of the other MDers in a seperate car? Just a possibility. And hopefully the pizza here will prove to be real good lol. I mean its not quite the Chicago deep dish (best pizza ever!) but its still highly good in my opinion.

6 more days to go!

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
****, sorry to hear buho and zang aren't gonna make it. Maybe if the mages find a ride to another gauntlet we'll see you again. Unknown thanx a ton for takin care of a lot of the housing for us, that's a huge huge help. Last I heard the DA was a little sketchy on coming for some reason. Hopefully they do show up. But at least we still have the turtles and team ben if they don't.

It's gonna be a good tournament, I finally got confirmation on some equipment from my good friends at BOSE, so no one will have any excuse for not hearing me. lol And we seem to have hit our target number of set-ups so things should run just fine. 6 days 'til the Cataclysm!!

Top Bottom