• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mega Man in SSB Wii-U and 3DS Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Yeah. I know. But it doesn't mean Kirby can't get it. The fact that it isn't the first time he's had moves manipulated to work with his copy ability.

EDIT: However, if they do go with the Metal Blade, they better give Kirby the Metal Man helmet.
Both are possible, however I'm going to guess it'll be the Mega Buster. As stated A move I know, but we've seen different B's technically before (such as Olimar's Pikmin toss being modified).

I'm starting to think people only like WFT is because she's female and a huge surprise. Everyone kind of expected Mega Man, I don't think a single person on the planet expected her. When the game launches I imagine the appeal will have worn off and Mega Man (and various other newcomers) will be much more "popular" and welcomed.

Neo Zero

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Only commented on WFT due to talking about MM primarily, I dont care about the character at all, but that's another matter.

Any idea what it says? I'm gonna assume this means it'll be an item though.
Theres a translation feature for Twitter members.

It's honestly just saying that Sakurai was tired and he needed to "fuel up" after the trip to E3. Hence the Energy Tank.

D

Deleted member

Great article for everyone to look at.

It's an in-depth analysis of Mega Man's inclusion in Smash and has some really neat things in it as well.

Edit: Spent some time updating the OP with pictures and links. I'm trying to find that one link in which Sakurai discusses Mega Man being a "special" case and that he may have to reduce some characters to a degree.

I gotta say, the realization of Megaman being in the game is definitely a delayed reaction thats just starting to hit me. I've been a Megaman fan from Knee High to Tree High and i'm just so excited. All I would play was Megaman, from 1 through X 6, and even Legends. I thought he was a lost cause for a while, then this happens. I'm immensely excited to see him, and the future for Megaman doesn't look so bleak after all.

FourStar

Smash Ace
well now that megaman is in i was wondering anyone else from the megaman franchise that has a chance?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
well now that megaman is in i was wondering anyone else from the megaman franchise that has a chance?
I don't think it needs another rep, but my choices would be:
Proto-Man
Dr. Wily
Bass
Roll
These are the only ones I see that can be with Mega Man, even though i know Mega's the only one.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Hmm, I honestly doubt they would put another 3rd party character from the same series, and to be honest, I like it better that way. If there does so happen to be a chance, I would like to see Zero as a playable character.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
I'm honestly not too sure what Yellow Devil is doing in the game as of yet. Sakurai did say that there is no Subspace Emissary, so maybe it might be something in the new arcade mode? Worst case scenario is that it is a level hazard.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I'm honestly not too sure what Yellow Devil is doing in the game as of yet. Sakurai did say that there is no Subspace Emissary, so maybe it might be something in the new arcade mode? Worst case scenario is that it is a level hazard.
Possibilities:
1. Boss rush mode.
2. Melee style adventure mode was re-added and they added bosses to the mix. (To go with the running through Nintendo worlds thing)
3. Stage Hazard (Which is sick and wrong in so many ways)

Neo Zero

Possibilities:
1. Boss rush mode.
2. Melee style adventure mode was re-added and they added bosses to the mix. (To go with the running through Nintendo worlds thing)
3. Stage Hazard (Which is sick and wrong in so many ways)
Speaking frankly, I hope not. I want this stage to be neutral and awesome.

bluebomber22

Smash Champion
^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's gonna be fixed ASAP. That shows to me that this game's 2014 release date seems to be tentative. I now am fully prepared to say that if one or both games will be delayed to 2015, I wouldn't be surprised. After all, Brawl was delayed 2 or 3 times, not including Nintendo's awful handling of releasing that game in other regions.

Just to think back in 2007 you and I would go back and forth with Mega Man being playable in Brawl. And after being disappointed there, after all the heartbreak of no Mega Man in Brawl... the pain is over. The fight is over. WE GOT MEGA MAN BEACHES, AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO STOP US!!!! :awesome:

To think we used to talk about what he'd be like to be playable before and after Brawl, and how we could see it going, to see it all fully realize, fully hyped, fully done, and made greater than we could have ever expected it... is nothing short of SHEER BRILLIANCE!!!!

YOU HEAR THAT MEGA MAN HATERS=??? YOU LOST!!! WE WON... FOR AMERICA SMASH BROTHAHS!!!! GO HOME AND BE A FAMILY MEGA MAN!!!
ABSOLUTELY BRO!

I had lost hope lol. I gotta say I'm really impressed with how they executed him. His moveset is pretty close to the ideas we were tossing around on here before Brawl. Can't wait to get my hands on this game!

D

Deleted member

I should totally check out the pre-Brawl thread in depth someday to see how people imagined him turning out.

Most epic moment
The beginning of a freak out that lasted a few minutes and what will secure me a purchase of this game. Hopefully the franchise receives a big come back as well and this time for good.
Not really. Mega Man is all that we're going to get from the franchise in regards to playable characters.

Edit: bluebomber got the 2000th post for those curious.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Honestly, the Spark needles is one of the coolest Smash attacks so far. Right next to Bowser's Drop Kick.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Megaman 1 had such a great cover:

Srsly, did they pick someone randomly in the crew to make this? haha
He looks like he needs to take a ****.

Neo Zero

Megaman 1 had such a great cover:

Srsly, did they pick someone randomly in the crew to make this? haha
He looks like he needs to take a ****.
According to the bonus feature from the GameCube anniversary collection, a guy from Capcom had a friend of his create it in a few hours

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Looking back over Mega Man Universe and Mega Man Legends 3 and that debacle and how awesome Mega Man looks in Smash 4...

I mean, maybe he'll be a competitive character, maybe he won't, but you can't deny that the character model, move-set, animations, sound effects, etc. are a pretty damn pitch-perfect representation of classic Mega Man. The people who worked on it clearly love Mega Man. You've got the Mega Buster being appropriately NOT a special move (cuz it's not for Mega Man), a shield weapon, a bomb weapon, an electric weapon, an air weapon, fire weapons, Metal Blade, Rush Coil, even the WTF Top Spin. Guts Arm is actually made useful.

So I was thinking, with Inafune no longer at Capcom anyway, maybe Mega Man would be better off being a Nintendo property. They should just buy him.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Here's another interview with Sakurai. He talks a bit about the process of getting Mega Man in.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection

"We approached Capcom with the idea and they were very favorable and open to it," he said. Sakurai and the teams at Sora Ltd. and Namco Bandai focused on the classic NES-style of Mega Man, a chunkier, less angular, less sleek version of the character. The Smash Bros. version of Mega Man focuses more on his ability to absorb others' powers, de-emphasizing punching and kicking. Mega Man's mega uppercut, which Sakurai says was inspired by the character's appearance in Marvel vs. Capcom, is one of his few melee attacks. "The approval process, in terms of how we're representing Mega Man, was actually really smooth and went really quickly."

So... Yeah. Yay for Mega Man in Smash, the easiest third-party character ever? Except for Snake. And Sonic probably wasn't so difficult.

... I'm not sure getting third-party characters is actually as difficult as he's said. :p

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Here's another interview with Sakurai. He talks a bit about the process of getting Mega Man in.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection

"We approached Capcom with the idea and they were very favorable and open to it," he said. Sakurai and the teams at Sora Ltd. and Namco Bandai focused on the classic NES-style of Mega Man, a chunkier, less angular, less sleek version of the character. The Smash Bros. version of Mega Man focuses more on his ability to absorb others' powers, de-emphasizing punching and kicking. Mega Man's mega uppercut, which Sakurai says was inspired by the character's appearance in Marvel vs. Capcom, is one of his few melee attacks. "The approval process, in terms of how we're representing Mega Man, was actually really smooth and went really quickly."

So... Yeah. Yay for Mega Man in Smash, the easiest third-party character ever? Except for Snake. And Sonic probably wasn't so difficult.

... I'm not sure getting third-party characters is actually as difficult as he's said. :p

Yeah, Good to see that Capcom and Nintendo/Sora were able to come to terms rather well. I can definitely see his inspiration from the original 6 NES Megaman games, with a bit of 7 and 8 thrown in. I can really see this design being used as in a new 2.5D/3-D Megaman game. It keeps alot of the charm of the original version while adding the right amount of extra detail. It feels kinda like its modern and timeless.

Neo Zero

Nintendo: Hey we're making this cross over game, can we use Mega Man?
Capcom: We still own him? I thought I said to get rid of him. Just take him, we don't want him

How I read it.

Sinn

Smash Lord

Well, after reading that article, I'm filled with a little sadness. Talk of cutting characters is always unpleasant, and I'm disappointed to hear that there's not going to be as much content coming out of the site as there was during Brawl's development. I used to live for those updates...

D

Deleted member

Thanks qdMbp! I really appreciate that. I will add it to the OP.
Inb4 Bad Box Art Mega Man (Original and New) are stickers and trophies.

Also:

Great fan art there. Hopefully the design gets used in future Classic Mega Man games. Seen the fan art in motion is especially something to appreciate.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

Interesting.
It helps that Capcom was already very open to the idea of Mega Man in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom