• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official BBR Tier List v4 -> Sonic's HA Stall is NOT beaten by spot dodge!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Code Lyon

Smash Journeyman
I just don't agree with Fox overcoming all of his bad match-ups.

He got the shortest end of the stick of anyone here, in my opinion (in viability tiers)

Pikachu is the sole reason he's been shut down as badly as he has now. Seriously. Fox can focus on not getting grab. But if a good, even a decent Pikachu, fights a good Fox.

Fox will NEVER WIN. If anyone proves me wrong, I'd eat my words in the Pikachu vs. Fox thing, but otherwise...yeah.

I'm rooting for Fox myself too.
I've beaten a pika in the most recent tourney I been to. You just can't CP pika and expect to win against Fox you actually have to know how to play pika same goes for shiek and ICs other than that Fox has no other bad match-ups. (If you don't believe ZSS is a good MU for Fox go check the MU for it.)

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Falcon can land knees out of Grab Release. :D

Fox vs Pika isn't as bad as people think.

I like your talk about Super Spamus. Sounds like fun :chuckle:

I really like Pit but his problems killing still make me sad. He can be crazy effective and crazy annoying but I think Kool Aid's just a bad***. I completely agree with your "they needlessly complicate things" statement. Most of them do. Most I've played anyway. Hell even I do it and I think it's ******** WHILE I do it but meh.

Pikachu...most people don't play Pikachu with all the flashy stuff unless they're showing off. QAC is good for after footstools and such but it's mostly just fun. XD The more effective ones will just space with jolts and look for the opportunity to get in and rack up their damage and get out.

You're right about Sonic. I don't feel like commenting on it more cause it makes me sad.

EFF yeah Ness. He's got so much going for him if you know what you're doing. I know it sounds...weird but he kinda has a worse Pikachu vibe about him with his air combos and chases. Except he uses Fair over Jolt.

Yeah. Lucario's mostly defensive. It I could kill easier I'd probably at least second him. :C

BSP

Smash Legend
@Gimpy

I agree that Luigi is good, and once he gets inside he can really put on % fast. The problem is him getting inside though. He's got slow air and ground speed, and low traction makes punishing OoS harder. That being said, it's not impossible to get inside, just difficult. I think Luigi is viable as long as he has a second for marth and MK.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Snake

Snake. Initially people thought Snake was pretty good, then people thought he was broken, then people thought he'd slowly get worse, and now people KNOW that he's just really really good. As the game progresses I think that Snake will remain good, but not AS good. Snake happens to be my least favorite character in the game. Not because I dislike the character himself but because I just really don't understand him in Brawl. And that doesn't mean I don't know HOW to play him. That means I genuinely don't understand why he was programmed to be as good as he is. Metaknight I understand. As I said before, he's fast, has a sword, and a great recovery with multiple jumps. He's OBVIOUSLY going to be good. But snake? Why does he have such mysteriously large and powerful hitboxes? Why do his grenades come out so fast and cause so much disruption? Why is he SO heavy? I mean... Sure, there are "almost answers" for some of these issues, but I really just don't get it. What a poorly made character. Anyway, Snake has monsterous hitboxes and is hard to punish, his grenades will remain ever useful and his overall map control isn't going anywhere in the future. Snake will always be one of the best characters in the game, but he won't progress as much as a few other characters will. I don't think he'll maintain this number 2 spot forever, but I do think he'll never go below top 5.
his weight is probably due to the grenades being able to hurt snake as well. The developers must of figured they should give snake a respectable weight value so that he can take a few hits from his grenades and still see out the match.

King Dedede

Ah, King Dedede. His recent drop was hardly unexpected. Dedede and a couple other characters have a simple problem I'm going to refer to as the Game & Watch complex. Now, what I mean by this is that the character is fairly one dimensional. What do Dedede players do differently now than they've been doing for the last year? Not a lot right? And does Dedede still do well? Honestly, yes. Yes he does. He may be predictable and occasionally bland, but he's still quite solid. I don't think that Dedede is ever going to be moving UP again, because I don't think he has much capacity for growth, but I do think that he'll be a solid character for people to use for the entirity of the game's competitive lifespan.
DDD does suffer abit from the Kirby syndrome, but i agree he is solid and no he wont move anywhere up for the duration of the games life span.

Masky

Smash Master
Oh, also, I mostly agree with what gimpy has said, especially in terms of Marth, Lucario, Peach and Sheik. Its another way to describe characters who have the options to do with things, they are just less attractive in terms of what they are able to dominate with.

But I dont agree on Pit ;).
You agree that it's a mystery on why Lucario is bad? Lucario is bad in singles because of his bad recovery (which leads to him dying at low percentages, so he can't take full advantage of his aura), lack of true approaches and susceptibility to camping. Basically, Lucario can't compete on the "same level" as MK, Snake, Diddy, Wario, etc because all of these characters can beat Lucario without even having to outsmart him. Lucario does not have "options to do things."

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I have to. I REALLY have to.

Sonic

Sonic is occasionally overrated by people who don't use him and MASSIVELY overrated by those who DO use him.
Close, but no. Anyone who doesn't use him overrates him; anyone worth their weight with this character underrates him, or slightly overrates them.

I can count the number of people who "MASSIVELY overrate" my character with less than three fingers.

I hate to say it, but I really just think that Sonic is bad. Sure, you'll see a few people do well with him and beat some pretty good players, but when it comes down to it at a high level and it's just player vs player I don't think we'll often see Sonic come out on top. Once you get past all the gimmicks and distractions, Sonic is still that low priority fairly tough to kill with character that we all thought he was at first.
Agreed completely. Winning any match up against players who fail to really screw up is insanely difficult. People with experience against Sonic only worsens the problem for the mains.

Sonic is very fun and I'm sure that just because of his fan base we'll see some good players here, but I don't think Sonic will ever escape from low.
1: No one plays Sonic because they enjoy his properties. Just about everyone gets frustrated about our lack of KOs and reliable setups. Everyone that plays Sonic, only plays Sonic, because he's SONIC.

2: Sonic's not low tier. He should be eventually, but he's not. At the peak of this game's development, he's going to teeter on the edge of bottom of mid, top of low. Unfortunately, Sonic is one of those characters who ***** low tier too much, but doesn't destroy anything else at all.

But with Sonic more so than any other character I also feel like I could be EXTREMELY wrong. There may be some secret hidden potential that somebody will eventually be able to control that will blast him up the tiers, but as it stands now, I really doubt it.
Nothing will ever compensate for Sonic's glaring weaknesses. Low attack speed, terrible KO potential, unreliable approaches, and overall uphill match ups will keep him in his place, if not worse.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738

Mario

Mario is one of the sadest cases in this game to me. Mario is one of my favorite characters in every one of the Smash games, and in pretty much every game he's in, but it really seems like he drew the short straw this time. Mario suffers from a massive lack of range. He seems like he has a decent combo game - and he does. He seems like he has decent kill moves - and he does. He has a pretty poor recovery, but some nice gimicks like Cape and Fludd. I really think that Mario isn't going to be great for quite a while, but I do see some potential here. He's going to have to be played PERFECTLY in order to beat certain characters, but I don't doubt that, like with Wolf, we'll see a premier Mario player tearing up the ranks, but aside from him, there won't be enough representation to really push him very high. Unfortunately I see him staying pretty low for the entirety of his Brawl life.
I'mma just do this...

General Analysis
[GA]

In this current status, the general analysis is the same: Mario is a balanced character. He has an effective option for anything coming his way. His juggling, defensive traits, and most of all gimp ability are all accounted for.

Strengths

When I last made this I said his greatest strength is his reliability to gimp. That wasn't it. It's actually his large amount of mix-ups and options per situation which is his greatest strength. He never has just one effective way to fight per Match-up (except for Chaingrab), and it's that quality which effectively negates unwinnable match-ups.

That said, his particular strong points are still noticable. Opponents are still scared to death of the Cape, and his defensive tactics makes him particularly rough to combat easily. Up-B OOS is still noticable, and our tried-and-true GTFO move D-Smash is great. FLUDD gets a nod due to being an excellent positioning tool.

Mario is still a combo character, though U-air is being used less these days. Nowadays it's a combination of aerials mixed in with ground attacks to perform true combos. Something like N-air to jab is a true combo, and an Auto-cancel B-air to Pivot F-tilt is a true combo as well.

Weaknesses

For the most part, Mario's weaknesses are still present.

2008 Analysis said:
Let’s face it: A balanced character will have weaknesses, and the biggest one that really affects Mario is his general lack of range with all his moves. With the very low amount shield-stun in the game, the majority of Mario’s moves are all susceptible of getting shield-grabbed. There are a few things that cover this however, but I’ll get to that later.

Another weakness, and probably his most costly one, is the fact that his answers for every situation are overshadowed by another character that would have a better answer for said situation. This essentially means that for any given match-up, there will be other characters that are better to use against it. This is bad for Mario for the fact that he hardly has any match-ups where he is the best choice, but also works in his favor because he hardly has any match-ups where he gets decimated.
If you read this before you'll notice I got rid of his ledge option weaknesses, which turns out have been minimized from a major weakness to simply an annoyance. While it's not a strong spot in Mario's game it's not a weakness either.

Though, while that is gone it is simply replaced with a new one: Mario is a character that relies on making openings and capitalizes on exploiting weakened traits. This varies from punishing laggy attacks to using vertical spacing against characters that regularly outrange Mario. Problem is, if an opening never comes up (or it doesn't get exposed enough), then Mario is in trouble. This doubly goes to Mario mains in which they require an extensive knowledge on all match-ups to know what options works and what doesn't. It is never an easy ride for Mario.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=206631

Masky

Smash Master
Uhh... Lucario is a good character.
:\
I like Lucario and I like that he pops up as a partially used character in the top results of major tournaments sometimes but can't get the big $$ by himself = not good. It's all about the money.

PS: Even Lee Martin will say he's a bad character :p

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Like certain other characters, Sonic players have to learn t be content with just racking damage and let the kills come. Outside of possible aggressive edgegaurding , and even then most options to kill are rather gimicky and simply catch people off gaurd. He only has two TRUE kill setups.

1: Spin Dash into Bair combo at high percents (which requires timing, and works in a certain percent bracket; otherwise the spin knocks back too far to combo :()

2 relatively fresh up throw at about 200 -250 % depending on weight. Probably more reliable since you just have to land a throw, but 200% ? that's lame to wait that long for a move compared to even ness, who can just back throw you at about 100%

Sonic may go up slightly only because I dont think he's worse than PKMN trainer, and the best chance of that happening is if Sonic's accept his bad kill options and just dont even use them half the time, and just focus on racking damage.

It's so bad though. several characters in this game had problems killing but for some reason its the worst with Sonic. it was probably built that way to "compensate" for his mobility to get damage. this is hypothetical, of course, but SORA probably spent too much time on the development of some characters and made them meh at best (sonic) and due to time constraints, spent comparatively no time on others which made them overpowered for no reason (Snake)

But espy is right, the fact that Sonic is 'Sonic' and has a fun factor to him will keep him being played, and in that sence it is a good argument as to why his development was so high last tier list compared to the other low tiers. He isn't low tier at this point, and even as his mobility gives him a "shot" against certain characters naturally, his weaknesses are so bad that they almost singlehandedly keep him from ever being accpeted as a mid tier IMO.

I still like playing him, and I want to give him another shot this list as I try to change the way i think about this game, but this time I'm gonna be smart about it and actually try to work on my other characters.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
My conflicting thoughts, characters I omitted means I had nothing to add

Snake

What a poorly made character.
true words.
Diddy

Some people think that BANANAS are the best character in the game. What do I think? I think that Diddy is a great solid character, but that he won't ever be as good all around as Metaknight. Diddy has a lot of surprise factor going for him, even still. That's not to say he's a gimick or novelty character, because he isn't truly a gimick character at all. His bananas, speed, combo ability, and recovery all place him near the top of the list, and that's where he'll stay. I think that Diddy Kong will eventually raise to being ahead of Snake, but I don't know if he'll necessarily maintain that number 2 spot forever. So there you have it, Diddy Kong is really good, and not a novelty. He's also not better than Metaknight.
I think you are disregarding the fact that no matter what anyone wants to say, bananas are an exchangable item. and theres only so much you can do with them. which is to say diddy players have been practicing with the items since the game came out, but I feel like eventually, players of other characters will learn to use to use them almost, if not as effectively as diddy. and than when that huge advatage is somewhat negated, we will be able to see how many characters truly compete with him, and i think it will be more than what we currently think. specifically, smaller, faster characters like fox, wolf and sonic, will start doing really well against him because they will have the finesse to play the nanner game on par with diddy, and than just make it a contest of player skill and one characters attributes against anothers.not to say that diddy cant compete with out them, but i think that development in the metagame of players will take him down from top tier character, to just "really good character"

Also, once people start mastering the "lets gimp diddy game, i think things might get real tough for him, it seems like currently the only reason the character isnt getting obliterated offstage, is because people dont know how to deal with somebody that can stall their recovery move. Hell always be a really good character than will force his opponents to be good, i just dont think hes gonna be OMGWTFBBQHAX good forever.

Falco

Some people have been johning about Falco for a long time, and only fairly recently have we seen why. Only a few players really show off just how good this bird can be when you play defensively enough. Some people say that Falco is the true 2nd best. This scenario could potentially be true, but I really don't know how much growing this bird has in front of him. Falco is really solid in a lot of areas. He's tough to approach and you HAVE to appraoch. His recovery is not bad but not the best, used correctly it is extremely difficult to intercept him. Laser's alone make Falco a threat, but he also has extremely high priority, solid kill moves, a nice and easy chaingrab to up the percent on most characters, and a very nice side b to escape from some situations he would want to avoid. I think that Falco will eventually find his place behind both Snake AND Diddy at around 4th. But I don't really know for sure. It might become more simple over time to approach him, because I don't think he has an absolute ton of growth left (not like a few certain other characters) but he'll always be an extremely solid pick.
I agree with most of this, his ability to force you into options that are benficial for him will always be top of the bunch but i think that when some characters learn to play as patient as he does, he might find himself in some trouble. because it looks like a characters physical size has a direct correlation to their matchup with falco. and the smaller your character is, the harder it is for the falco to limit your options with lasers, and when people play this slow and safe approach game, it tends to turn the tables and limit the falcos options, and with people getting better every day at punishing falcos excape methods this character might be in for a very small drop as well. taking full advantage of the ledge is also looking to be a sizable hamper to his game.

Ice Climbers

Let me start with Ice Climbers by first saying Ice Climbers are extremely dumb. In both Melee and Brawl I've always hated Ice Climbers. They change the entire pase of the game in a way that I really dislike, and upon capitolizing on a single mistake, can take a full stock. Ice climbers are going one of two directions. Either there are going to be MORE ways in the future to reliably land a grab, or it'll become more difficult for the ice climbers to appraoch. As Brawl progresses I think that people are going to have less and less of a problem playing very campy and won't really hate taking games to time. I think that this will be the Ice Climber mains undoing. Iceys will always have a spot in tourney placings, and I think that they will always be solid. I do, however, think that their undoing will be, as it has always been, Nana, and bad matchups. I really don't think that Ice Climbers have what it takes to keep up with an ever evolving metagame this time around. I think that as more and more players learn the top level playstyles of characters like Diddy, Metaknight, and even Falco, Ice Climbers will have more and more bad matchups, which will hinder their tournament placings. I think that if Ice Climbers are ever going to move up, they're going to have to do it soon, because they won't stay up for long.
I think Ice climber players still have a ways to go, because even though poeple will be more adamant about camping them, ICs will be more effective when they actually get the grab, which i feel is important to note. through their high priority B moves, and aerials, ICs have the tools to fight most characters on even ground, and than adding the CG makes them excruciatingly good. add in the fact that at times it doesnt even take a mistake for them to grab you. who here hasnt thought they had successfully baited the ICs into an action and gone for the punish, only for popo to get a lucky powershield and than nana to get a grab in the hitlag? or to perfectly space your move and just get pivot grabbed anyway. They seem like they are going to eveentually turn into a "pick your poison character." where you can take the entire game and run from the grab only to get blizzard'd/squalled/up aired, or you can fight them normally and run the chance of getting grabbed from anything that is misspaced or mistimed.

Wario

I do think that there will always be a few premier Wario players out there showing everyone why he's not to be taken lightly, but I don't know if two or three players nationwide will impact his place enough to maintain this spot. Wario is a very good, although very strange, character.
Wario feels to me like a character that isnt inherently super great and that almost any character that plays the matchup right would be able to beat him, but he will never go down much due to the play of his character fundamentally taking advantage of players. Its been 2 years now. You KNOW that wario is going to land behind your shield, yet more often than you should, you are going to go for the shield grab anyway, because "theres no way he got behind my shield THIS time." and as long as people continue to have unpredictable setups for farts, wario will continue to have a leg up on most characters.

Pikachu

Pikachu is another one of those characters that seems to have a lot of potential. We've seen him played pretty well, no doubt, but I think that Pikachu is better than any of us have seen. I think that too many players get caught up in his tricks and gimmicks and end up doing worse because of it. Please, stop over complicating him. Pikachu has a lot of really safe movement and solid setups. He's quick and has a few solid kill moves. He also has great grabs and a lot of surprise factor. I think that Pikachu has the potential of moving up slightly on this list, but only if people really step it up and figure out exactly when to do what, rather than just trying to be fast and surprising.

I play just about every character from time to time, and Pikachu is one of the only characters i dont like playing just because a lot of the time, he just has SO MANY abusable qualities, its just hard to keep track of them all. i think pikachu will eventually make it to top tier. the only real problem he has is range, and most of the time hes fast enough to circumvent that. when people learn how to better take advantage of what he can do, and when, thats when he will step up.

Olimar

I still think that ON THE STAGE Olimar is the best character in the game. Yes, the BEST CHARACTER IN THE GAME. I can't wait for the day that an amazing Olimar main breaks out of nowhere and wins something big. Yes, I understand that there are currently very good Olimar players, but there is nobody like the person I'm describing. I think that Olimar is sort of the "jigglypuff" of Brawl. Meaning that as the game progresses he will constantly improve until one day there will be a couple premier Olimar players who wreck almost everybody. Olimar has way to much on stage potential, and I can't wait to see what happens with him. So, Olimar mains, show me what I know is the case, and go place at a major.
Everyone knows oli is a beast onstage, best in the game? im not sure I agree. but regardless, I feel that oli wont be able to take that big step up, because its just too easy to get a character offstage, and while oli players have done a real good job of making the best of what he has, i dont think itll be enough for th at kind of improvement. stuff like wolfs down throw, and mks down smash, can rip a game out of an olis hands too easy, seemingly. like link and ike, it requires you to have a vast knowledge of all characters, spacing and timing to make sure your DI is on point. Every time.

Lucario

Lucario is a bit of a mystery to me. He has a lot going for him and not a lot going against him, much like Marth, great lucario players are going to have to be just that: great. Lucario is by no means EASY. Sure, he has the TOOLS to do well in almost every scenario, but it isn't easy to make it happen. Lucario hasn't really broken out yet. It isn't as easy as it seems to actually get the kills with Lucario at the top level of play. I think that the key for Lucario is to not over pursue, to not press your advantage too far. This is a weakness of many players and something that is holding back many CHARACTERS as well. Take your opportunities as they come and Lucario will take it to the next level.
I think the two main problems with lucario are his straight forward nature and his recovery. Lucario seems to have moves and options that are good enough and at the exact same time, not good enough. he can compete move for move with just about any character and he has a good skill set, but eventually the fact that no matter what you usually know what hes going to do gets to him. especially at higher percents he doesnt seem to have anything reliable to rack damage or kill other than jab grabs, and f smash which is getting less effective everyday.
His recovery is also a huge detriment. just holding on to the ledge not only limits his options, but limits him to a bad option that usually puts him right offstage again if people are quick which punishing his stage landing. i dont think he'll be goin up or down much on his own merit, it depends on what the other characters do. whether they move above or below him.

Pit

Pit is one of the most underrated characters in the game. I think that Pit deserves his place near the top of the tier list along with characters like Falco and Diddy. I can't wait for the day that a Pit main, similar to Koolaid, bursts onto the scene and wins a major. No, I didn't say PLACES at a major, I said WINS a major. Pit has so much potential it is ridiculous. He's fast, has range, has power, has an amazing projectile, and an extremely good recovery. Pit players, much like Pikachu players, have this unfortunate habit of massively overcomplicating their character. Making him all about arrow loops and up b tricks, instead of just focusing on doing what works when it works. Pit is going to be a major contender in the future, and I can't wait to see who it is that eventually steps it up with him. Please, help make this day come soon Pit mains.
I think the COMPLETE opposite. he is fast, but he doesnt seem to have enough range. he actually has very little power, and his recovery, while good, can be taken advantage of. I dont see many pits these days, but the ones I do see arent fancy or flashy at all, I had thought they had finally got that message.
He has a good keep away game. but i feel that once people learn how he works and get inside of him, and arent coerced into approaching in ways beneficial to the pit, the few pits there are are going to drop. he just doesnt seem to have anything special to seperate himself as a character outside of planking.

Toon Link

Toon Link is a curious character. Almost everybody thinks that Toon Link is better than he is. I think that this character is mostly a gimick, and that he won't last long as the game evolves. He'll always be solid and fun, but I just don't know how far he can take his game.
He might get slightly better due to his ability to be really really safe, a lot of the time, but he will always be outclassed by characters that can break his camp, or outcamp him. He has a fair amount of options tho, so people like jash will always have the tools to compete.

Kirby

Kirby is very solid and very annoying. He has a great way of wracking up some damage fast and has a lot of tricky options for getting kills. I can see a few choice Kirby mains really upping the anti here with Kirby. He has great quick moves that have a lot of solid range and good KO properties. I think we really just need to see a Kirby main take it to the next level because I think we all know he has it in him. Kirby is good, it's pretty obvious that he is, but he still hasn't broken out yet like some others have.
Once again, I disagree completely. I cant see anything happening with kirby that chu dat and y.b.m. havent already done. the character is fun, but at his core, hes massively basic. beginner kirby play is as follows.
f throw combo at 0
bair camp to kill percent,
f smash.
and high level kirby play isnt anything more than just getting better and more skilled at the above strat. mindgaming people into more followups after the f throw. spacing bairs better, and maybe once in a while using hammer instead of f smash to throw off peoples timing. I think this character peaked like a year ago, and nothing new is going to make him any better.

Donkey Kong

Sadly, I see this ape, who I think is clearly a very solid character, not being well represented, and will never be able to take his leap forward. I don't blame character's placements on representation, I just think that because of some of his terrible matchups, DK will never have the opportunity to REALLY succeed.
I feel like DKs main problem is that due to his build as a character, at high levels of play he is forced to take huge risks, and rely on the fact that hes effectively the heaviest character in the game to not die for it, so that he can take said risks again. this is not the kind of strategy this is going to take a character to the higher ranks.

Peach

just continue doing what you did to get them to killing percent and just let the kills come.
Theres also a number of characters i am eager to see what they are capable of when they take this to heart.
Fox
He has a few poor matchups - but I think that through enough camping anything will be possible against most of those threats.
It seems like the threshold for fox to win a lot of the time is just too high. its one thing to have to fight the ice climbers, and think to your self, I cant get grabbed or I die. its another thing entirely to have to have that mindset against like a 4th of the characters in the game. eventually your going to slip, and i feel the margin for error for fox is jsut too small.

Wolf

I have a bizarre theory with Wolf that I'm really not sure how to describe. I'll start by saying I think that Wolf might be the "Mewtwo" of Brawl. I honestly don't think that Wolf is that good, however, I do think we'll see somebody being highly successful with him. I think that in the future we're going to see a "Taj" like scenario with Wolf. He's going to do extremely well with Wolf and everyone will wonder how. It will look easier than it is, and almost everyone will give him a shot, but nobody will have the success of this "new Taj" player.
Wolf is basic enough that anybody that has a firm grasp on the character and understands well the intracies of how to play brawl can play him effectively. the period of time where atomsk play(ed) wolf, is a good testament to this. Somebody somewhere will always be doing well with wolf, he is a quality character but doesnt have anythign overarching to make him a consistent sight in the tourney scene.

Sheik

She'll never be one of the best, but that's not because she doesn't have the potential, I just honestly don't think anyone will ever be that good with her.
Ive learned from that guy <3 that shiek is capable of a lot, but similarly to fox i think the threshold will be too high for her to have an impact on the tourney scene either.
Pokemon Trainer

Pokemon Trainer is a curious case, and I think that something similar to what I described with Wolf will also happen here. I don't think that the trainer player will be AS successful, but I think that he'll do well. Everyone knows that Squirtle is a really solid character, and everyone THINKS that Charizard is too. I think that Charizard has the Game & Watch complex that GW, D3, and Rob have, but that he isn't as good as any of those characters. He can take a stock REALLY fast on a couple reads, but against the better players in the nation you'll find Charizard will have a really tough time getting in to get those reads. I think that Ivysaur is the most underrated character of the three. His recovery is dreadful, but on the stage he has a very solid spacing game with some really powerful moves along with a decent projectile. He has a lot of problems, but I think that once the metagame advances so will Ivysaur, and he will pass Charizard at this point. I think that, as silly as it sounds, one of the real keys to Pokemon Trainer is knowing when to switch and when to use each Pokemon. I also think that we're going to see one or two well placing (and REALLY fun to watch) pokemon trainer mains in the future, but sadly, he'll always remain fairly low.
I agree with a lot of this, But I think charizard will always be solid enough to hold stock long enough to keep squirtle fresh. And ivysaur is just god-awful. she has some redeeming qualities in bulletseed and the strongest verticle kill move, if you can ever get it to hit, but all in all, her best spacing move in bair isnt that great and only does 4% fresh. shes horrendously slow, and her recovery is terribad. outside of bullet seed, she really doesnt have anything solid at close range, and she doesnt have anything to rely on that can keep people from getting inside, racking some damage, getting her offstage and ending her. and I think thats the main thing holding this character back, if PT players didnt have to deal with ivy screwing up the entire flow of the character and getting railed at almost every oppurtunity, PT would easily be a tourney viable character.

Sonic

But with Sonic more so than any other character I also feel like I could be EXTREMELY wrong. There may be some secret hidden potential that somebody will eventually be able to control that will blast him up the tiers, but as it stands now, I really doubt it.
Since i main sonic people are probably expecting me to go on this huge rant about how good he is/will be. Those people will be disappointed. Between all of what i would classify as the borderline low tier characters (PT, ike, sonic, ness, bowser, shiek, mario) I think sonic COULD be the best of them, but past that, hes not going anywhere. He has the tools to be able to win any match, and beat anycharacter, but the odds are almost always stacked against him so you wont be seeing him beating the top characters often. tho it will happen from time to time, since between mid and low tier, sonic is probably one of the ones that could rail you the hardest for not knowing specifically how to fight him.

Ness

I REALLY hate to say this one, but I think that Ness is actually underrated. Sure, a lot of the cast has some pretty dumb grab release stuff on him, and I used to think that range was a big issue of his, but the fact that he has such a solid fair that has such high priority, the fact that his bair is strong and not that hard to land, and the fact that he has a grab that kills at reasonably low percents makes him a pretty solid all around character. He has a lot of really good tools that, when used properly, will allow him to advance up the tiers steadily in the upcoming years. He won't ever be one of the best, but I think he'll develop nicely.
I agree fully with this, but Id like to add that out ofthe characters around him, ness seems to get the most impressive tourney results, which indicates to me that theres some intangible about him that people are overlooking.

Ike

I think Ike will always do good vs a certain level of player because, just like Melee Ganon, it's easy to jump into his large hit boxes, but I also think that Ike will plateau at some point on the upper side of the Low tier realm.
It looks like due to tourney results, both normal and low tier, that ike is very clearly NOT low tier, and is just in a completely different league than the majority of the other low tiers, but it does get easier to take advantage of ikes shortcomings, so he wont get much higher than lower mid tier.

Yoshi

Yoshi! I actually think that Yoshi is a pretty solid character, he has a lot going for him. He's got a lot of air speed and pretty solid priority. He has power and can get damage on people pretty quick. His grabs are fantastic and he isn't HORRIBLY easy to gimp. I really think we're going to see Yoshi shooting up the ranks as soon as people get over how weird he is to use. Someday Yoshi players are going to be up there in the "relatively high" tiers.
I disagree heavily. I think a lot of what yoshi has is different but that doesn explicitly make it any better. recovery? different but not "good". projectile? different but not "good". even his movement abilities arent really "good" even though they are different and can throw people off hard. Most of what he has is average or less, and I dont see him moving up at all.

Samus

Samus is just really poorly designed in this game. Samus doesn't seem to have progressed very much if at all in the last few months, and I don't think she really ever will GROW very much. I DO, however, think that she'll go up in the tiers. Why will this happen? Well, the way I figure it we're going to come across a group of the DUMBEST, CAMPIEST samus mains EVER. And yes, I realize that a lot of them play campy now. I'm not talking about camping then getting bored and going for a kill at 200%, I'm talking about the kind of camping where you just NEVER go for the kill. EVER. Almost every tournament match with these few players will go to time and everyone will hate them, but they'll be blatantly the highest placing Samus mains ever. I can't wait. Aside from the megacamp, Samus is really, really, bad.
Ive never entertained this idea, but I think its hilarious, tho I dont really believe anybody has that level of patience. the most patient player I know is probably dehf, and even he gets antsy and rushes kill moves sometimes.
Jigglypuff

Jigglypuff is a weird case. She doesn't seem to be particularly fantastic in any area, but I see her progressing in a strange fasion. I think that a few players are going to start beating a lot of people with puff. It won't be like Melee, but she'll do alright. I also think that puff is going to have a few solid matchups vs a few of the better characters, but will have a lot of really BAD matchups apart from those. She's just going to be a silly character I think.

I find jiggly to be similar to an aerial sonic, she usually cant attack head up, and shes reliant on baiting due to her mobility, but the obsurd lack of weight that she has is just too much of an obstacle to get past. its like all you have to do to ever beat jigglypuff is just tie attacks. over and over and over. as long as you hit her when she hits you, she will always lose out in the end.
Link

I think that the moment link mains stop thinking"maybe he'll jump into THIS down air" is the moment that Link can actually start moving up in the tiers. I'm so sick of seeing Link's just HOPING things land after all their work spacing and camping and jabbing they just throw it all out the door and hope for a stupid move on the part of the opponent. Link mains, like peaches and sheikes, need to STOP FORCING THE KILL MOVE and just let it come. I realize that takes a lot of patience, but when we see it, we'll see Link doing more than we thought possible. And by that I mean 'doing decently at local tournaments.' He really isn't that good, but he's better than he's being shown for now
Also seems like its important to note that link is pretty much the only character that has jab locks playing a part in his actual metagame. which give him a solid way to rack damage and land kill moves which is alone better than a few characters above him. he is pretty decent onstage, but hes slow which causes his massive problems because he cant make it hard enough to get inside him and get him offstage

I hope to bring discussion from this just because I like smash discussion
I approve of this notion.

.Marik

is a social misfit
I also disagreed with Yoshi's entry.

I don't think Gimpyfish realizes how Yoshi is supposed to be played, or just how bad Yoshi actually is.

Nanaki

Smash Lord
The Samus 'camp spam til they drop' idea is pretty awesome, but she's not good enough at it (or mobile enough) to realistically actually beat anyone that way. She's friggin slow.

...though the idea of actually killing someone with a power missile is just so tempting...

.Marik

is a social misfit
Her camp game is actually pretty effective.

It's the lack of mobility or killing power that makes it redundant.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
G&W complex... HA!!!!!!
Referring to Gimpy's post. You say G&W, ROB, Charizard, and Zelda have this problem. You can still be unpredictable with those characters. It's up to the player to choose this kind of complex. These character's have potential. G&W is the best planker. ROB can time his projectiles and can glide toss. Charizard's grab game. Zelda's defensive playstyle > offensive playstyle. Offensive Zelda sucks, players have to play Zelda defensively, she has good dodges, the best air dodge in the game. Defensive Zelda is mediocre, but it's better than being a horrible character. I don't believe in this "complex" you suggest, we are humans, we are more unpredicatable than computers are. CPU's suffer from that G&W complex that you talk about.

Nanaki

Smash Lord
Zelda's defensive playstyle > offensive playstyle. Offensive Zelda sucks, players have to play Zelda defensively, she has good dodges, the best air dodge in the game. Defensive Zelda is mediocre, but it's better than being a horrible character.
Where did you get the idea that Zelda has the best airdodge in the game? She's tied with a bunch of characters for having the one of the worst airdodges in the game (besides Marth and Peach)! She's vulnerable for 20 frames where she can't act!

Her spot dodge is average.

If you're talking about FW as an airdodge, lol. It has 10 frames of startup and 26 frames of vulnerable cooldown unless you cancel it on a ledge.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
on Zelda....yeah. there is just something up with that character. she gets buffed to hell and Back, yet she still takes a nosedive beyond belief. Maybe the best way to classify her is as her and Sheik as on character(like PT) because this is kind of ridiculous.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
lol you have to remember, Gimpy stopped playing this game while in 2008 pretty much. A lot of this stuff's good, but it's holds a lot of old mentalities.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
You agree that it's a mystery on why Lucario is bad? Lucario is bad in singles because of his bad recovery (which leads to him dying at low percentages, so he can't take full advantage of his aura), lack of true approaches and susceptibility to camping. Basically, Lucario can't compete on the "same level" as MK, Snake, Diddy, Wario, etc because all of these characters can beat Lucario without even having to outsmart him. Lucario does not have "options to do things."
Lucario's recovery's about as bad as marth's, taking all of their offstage options/characteristics into play too. I wouldn't say that's bad :\

Lucario's just a character that just has good moves, ones that allow you to do a lot of things with them. He suffers from some bad startup (but good range). There's nothing that stands out as amazing, and there's a lot of times where Lucario has options, but they just aren't... impacting or really stand out. It makes for a character that lets you as much as you probably can skillwise, but once you look at how much better chars are above him you really realize you're limited. You have to realize what's actually "bad". You can say this character's bad, but if 2/3's of the cast aren't better, I'd say that's "decent". Is he going to get you first? Probably not lol, but we've seen over and over again this character can get top 5-7 very easily, something a lot of chars can't do.

@ Stauffy: Yes, he is.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
lol you have to remember, Gimpy stopped playing this game while in 2008 pretty much. A lot of this stuff's good, but it's holds a lot of old mentalities.
Duh.

Much <3 to you anyways.

@Stauffy: That's because they are. If they can't reasonably get you money, they aren't good.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Different opinions for different people, yeah.

But still, they'll rarely ever win, if at all.
Not on their own, at least.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
Gimpyfish, if you're reading this, do you mind telling us what you think the tier list would be if it were based only on character potential? I'm intrigued by the characters you say will rise a lot and the characters you say will fall, and I would like to know where you would personally rank each character.

I especially agree with your points about Pikachu and Olimar. Played by an expert player (we already see this with Anther), these characters can be monsters.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Lucario's recovery's about as bad as marth's, taking all of their offstage options/characteristics into play too. I wouldn't say that's bad :\

Lucario's just a character that just has good moves, ones that allow you to do a lot of things with them. He suffers from some bad startup (but good range). There's nothing that stands out as amazing, and there's a lot of times where Lucario has options, but they just aren't... impacting or really stand out. It makes for a character that lets you as much as you probably can skillwise, but once you look at how much better chars are above him you really realize you're limited. You have to realize what's actually "bad". You can say this character's bad, but if 2/3's of the cast aren't better, I'd say that's "decent". Is he going to get you first? Probably not lol, but we've seen over and over again this character can get top 5-7 very easily, something a lot of chars can't do.

@ Stauffy: Yes, he is.
Thats why lucy prolly wont go any higher than where he is now, some of his options are pretty mediocre at best. I would associate terms like balanced and even when it comes to Lucy. Its the mediocrity at the core of how lucy functions is what keeps him from totally ****** people, and..lol thus not being ***** himself in the process.

Personally Lucys mediocre stuff doesnt bother me or let me down in the least. As long as you have that retardedly good DI and can live past 168% then its all good

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i think gimpy may be right about PT in the short term but overall, PT is just going to fall as more players learn how to **** that character.

falco is only second best when planking rules are in place.

i agree that snake is a ridiculously dumb character and obviously a failure when it comes to game design. they obviously tried to make him as good as they feasibly could.

Browny

Smash Hater
@ Masky

lmao if lucario is 'bad' that must make characters like peach, luigi and fox downright horrible. Im lost for adjectives on any E tier or lower characters.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Wow, everyone exploded with gimpyfish quotes... I read his whole post, and I agree that some of his views aren't true to what the current metagame portrays the characters to be. I agree that ZSS is a 'gimmick' character, but she's one that has an array of options that can mix it up to try and disguise her repetitiveness, unlike other characters of the sort. And I don't really agree with Kirby being able to move up lots of spots... I wish it were true, but realistically speaking, I can't see him higher than bottom of high tier (nor lower than top of mid-tier), which is where I KNOW he belongs.

It would've been nice if, according to his character synopsis AND with it, he'd have put together a small tier list of his own to present HIS view on how the characters' performance proves them to be placed as.

And about Lucario? Well... I think he's overhyped. In my eyes, his new placement was influenced by Pound4's results, and the results wouldn't have been the same if the Lucarios didn't have MK backing up their hardest matches (without those MK victories, they'd have met their match a while ago)... I'm a guy who cares about results where non-top characters place well in tourneys, but if they only make it so far because in a match where they would've lost, they changed to a very dominant character like MK (or a counter for their current match), then the result is now tainted and thus nothing in my eyes... They might've gone just one single set as a different character because they knew they were going to lose with Lucario (or whatever other character), but if he would've lost there by not being able to pick another character, who's to say that in Loser's he would've lost as well?

I think Lucario's a bit overhyped. With good DI and all that recovering whatnot, he could get his power boosts... But his weaknesses remain the same, and he's still vulnerable to the same approaches he's weak to when he has no power boost. I rate Lucario as a character by having his full power boost, and not by his 0% kill power, and I still think he's a little too high on the list.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Not just Pound4, in fact, I might say that he's been pretty solid ever since Nov. or so. Zucco and Trela demonstrated probably how far Lucario can go alone, with getting a lot of 4th places, a few 3rds, and nearly always placing at least top 7.

I do get the feeling both results and tier position betray his potential, he's probably a tad bit overrated. Matchups point to this, but then again, I think we have some pretty non-bias views on MUs compared to those who state much higher. I think that although his MUs place him lower, just the fact that he's just really solid helps.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Not just Pound4, in fact, I might say that he's been pretty solid ever since Nov. or so. Zucco and Trela demonstrated probably how far Lucario can go alone, with getting a lot of 4th places, a few 3rds, and nearly always placing at least top 7.
I could say the same thing about YbM and ChuDat to Kirby, or NickRiddle to ZSS, or Cable and Will to DK, or Anther to Pikachu... I don't completely depend on tourney performance to imagine how good a character can be in the right hands. I do think that it's very nice to see solo Lucarios doing good (meaning that he's slightly tourney-viable, being able to place even with top tiers running around), but I still feel the same way, that he's more limited than people make him out to be... And even more so when I see tourney results where people place with Lucario (for example), and have some other dominant character (MK, Snake, Diddy, Falco...) so they can win more and boost up their characters more in tourney results. Don't you think that it's a flaw in Ankoku's Tourney Results' thread point-grading system? I could use a character enough, then a vast majority of the tourney as a top tier, and end up boosting the character's ranking because of it... I'm not saying that it's the case with Lucario, but it definitely would be very nice to see how characters would be ranked if only solo mainers' results were the ones used for updating...

I do get the feeling both results and tier position betray his potential, he's probably a tad bit overrated. Matchups point to this, but then again, I think we have some pretty non-bias views on MUs compared to those who state much higher. I think that although his MUs place him lower, just the fact that he's just really solid helps.
I don't disagree with the 'non-biased MUs' you claim the Lucario boards of having. I'm sure they have a nice number of properly-ranked MU ratios. It could also be that they have some underrated MUs as well as overrated MUs. I myself view his disadvantages and advantages without resorting to numbers because it's much easier for me to compare two characters' traits and how they would perform against each other. And as for tier placement, I've always done this "character mesh" sort of thing for every character, ranking different aspects of characters then averaging it out by the number of aspects I mentally graded, making a character better than the other by an 'overall better' factor... And compared to one or two characters below him (as well as matches), I feel like Lucario is overrated in a sense.

EDIT: Just checked the recent tourney results... And well hey, Ankoku already wrote about what I said. Now I feel like people are gonna read my post and think that I stole Ankoku's conversational topic. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom