• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Kentucky Brawl Power Rankings: PR is officially up

Status
Not open for further replies.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
Expect me to play all Lucas and peach forever and and ever.
Also I love Lucas dittos. Those matches were so legit judo. <3

Also stop ****ing posting results from free ****ing tournaments god damnit. -_-
There was no entry fee. So it's like a giant Smashfest. God damn.
:phone:

ShadowPhoenix951

Smash Ace
Kassandra, there was an entry fee, it was $5. There was no prize money. However, the reason for this is that it's a series of tournaments, at the end of which, the people with the most points throughout the series receives a portion of the pot collected through all tournaments. So it was not, in fact, a giant Smashfest, and if someone screwed around because there was no prize money at this one, then they just screwed themselves out of getting prize money at the end of the series.

Also, your post was way too rude and negative. There was absolutely no need for that aggression, especially considering you didn't even know how the tournament series was functioning. God damn.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Not to mention that it is a freaking ranking battle, lol.

The entire point of the circuit is to see who the best of the players who are participating in said circuit. To think any way otherwise paints one as so laughably ridiculous that I can't even formulate a good example. I'm not even saying this to be mean. Like, (in this case) it literally doesn't make sense to discount an event that is literally made to freaking compare player vs player... and multiples of these matches, haha. I am almost 100% sure that this is counting for Ohio's PR and it should.

Otherwise someone like Carls, who is essentially cutting a swarm through the PR gets discounted for abritrary reasons. It's not even like the people who aren't placing well/are winning are placing any different than... you know how they place in other tournaments.

What's The Point

Smash Master
She's basically right though. It's $5 to enter 4 or 5 tournaments to compete over 2+ months for a ~$175 pot. Looking at them separately each tournament is pretty low on the competitive ladder because it's a $1 entry for a chance at a prize later against a relatively small number of players each time. As a whole it's not any better because of the low amount of money involved and any one tournament could be brushed off for a number of factors. You should only count those tournaments as tie breakers after you've made a PR but two people are really close.

ShadowPhoenix951

Smash Ace
There were around 20 people at the tourney (I don't remember the exact numbers), and there was a $5 entry fee. Over the course of 5 tournaments, this adds up to a $500 pot.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Entry fee means very little, you should be expected to take **** seriously.

No johns about "sandbagging because it was $1".

Judo777

Smash Master
IC's are gay why wouldnt you stay Falco SP? Didnt you do really well at the last event?

Also Lucas dittos ARE fun as hell

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Why are you all trying to not say it's serious. I could understand the "everyone went DDD against S2 lol" thing as not being serious, but this is kind of silly. You travel out of your city to play players in a tournament that you pay for... and it shouldn't count? Even if you don't get the money back, you're still paying to play in a tournament setting. It's pretty much a tournament :|.

What's The Point

Smash Master
For the CRSTs (Or some close combination of those letters) it's a very low cost you are paying. A lot of people also have friends in the community and travel to see them. The tournament could be an after thought. And when you pay $5 to enter 5 tournaments ($5 for one is pretty cheap) that price you pay to compete is really negligible. Money does dictate how serious a tournament it.

It should count, but it's no Vengeance, or even a S2D.

ShadowPhoenix951

Smash Ace
You're neglecting gas money.

And Judo, I can't recall an event where I did really well as Falco. I've done all right as him, but he requires too much precision for me to play him at a high level. I'm dropping him for the same reason Kel did.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Chi's tournies will begin counting as PR material once the new thread gets made.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
IM IN A BAD MOOD SORRY. that post was pretty rude my bad. :'( I'm going through some personal stuff, I didn't mean to take it out in that post.

Kel telling me he went all d3, and then reading S2's post taking him super serious made me facepalm too hard. Lmao a dollar entry tournament can count, but yeah not as much as other stuff. Lmao

SP always guaranteed to follow in kels foot steps as usual.

Also MY BAD, for not taking a dollar entry tournament as seriously as you guys. Seriously juu? I thought the tourny was free entry, but lo and behold, there was a few dollars involved. I was wrong.
Okay, so my perspective on this has changed, I guess some people do take this a bit more seriously and that's great, but this shouldn't be taken as seriously as a larger tournament with more money on the line.

ShadowPhoenix951

Smash Ace
We never said it was going to be taken as seriously as larger tourneys, just that it would be counted. And I always follow in Kel's footsteps? Because I made one decision the same as him? Unlike him, I'm still an MK main, and play only MK in MK legal tourneys. Other than choosing to stop maining Falco because he's frustrating, when have I ever followed in Kel's footsteps?

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Yes, Kassy. I am being serious.

I know that I am bad and should be thinking of every tournament as serious (which is what I do) and a way to get better and also understand (loosely) that some tournaments should weigh higher than others.

But let's be real. Ohio alone runs few tournaments and Kentucky runs even less than us. To be picky about events that get fairly large amounts of players that play a fair amount of another area's good players (even though we are all comparatively bad as a region) seems silly IMO.

You're right or WTP in that CSRBT single events should not count for a ton, but over the course of them it becomes a lot more significant for a power ranking than who happens to have favorable brackets or get that one maybe upset to 9/13/17 at large regional our states don't even win, haha. Or that maybe KB can avoid his losing records against Shugo or Infern or Y.b.M. to get a shot at who he feels is more favorable. Especially if we keep the good idea of uh, continuing to run them. That, combined with the potential local/small regional all-pools format that pretty thoroughly tells us so much more.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Yeah if I'm going to waste my saturday sandbagging at a tourney that is a 5 hr total trip for me...then I am a silly soul.
I always go hard in bracket

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I like how every tournament S2 does well at can be considered a joke by people even though he's probably the second or third best player in the state behind Judo and maybe Eric (I haven't played Eric offline in a while so not sure. I think he's improved tons since the last time we played though based on wifi :p)

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
I like how every tournament S2 does well at can be considered a joke by people even though he's probably the second or third best player in the state behind Judo and maybe Eric (I haven't played Eric offline in a while so not sure. I think he's improved tons since the last time we played though based on wifi :p)

Only one person was saying anything about this tourney though. :V

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
Is Ohio channeling all the **** to our neighbors (MI, KY) or what? We haven't had this kind of pickering for a while.

Fun read. :)

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
S2 is not the third best. Judo is the best, and I might even put Ralph as second, and then Eric. Ralph tho, Talk about a great player. He beat AZ, and always improves. Crap s2 also beat az at that dollar tournament. :0

Well, I still think Ralph is better. Just saying.

Also sp I was trolling you.
God I need to go to more tournaments. Next tournament I'm going try and be not free.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I'd personally rank top 6 at this:

Judo
S2
Eric
Ralph
Me

(insert Kero at some random point in the above. Haven't seen him play in a while so idk where, but he's definitely top 6.)

:p.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I'd personally rank top 6 at this:

Judo
S2
Eric
Ralph
Me

(insert Kero at some random point in the above. Haven't seen him play in a while so idk where, but he's definitely top 6.)

:p.

I know I've had this conversation with a few people, but I think:
1. Judo
2. (Kel)
3a. Kero (active)
(3/4)4/5. S2/Joey (active)
Kero (inactive)
Joey (inactive)

7/8/9. Eric/Ralph/Xisin

Not sure where to put (Overswarm). When I group names together, I do know know in particular where any of them fall, just that I think they are the same general skill level. Ralph is **** and the homie, though.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I know. They're listed based on if they are playing while active or inactive.

Because when they're able to play and have consistently been playing, they are better. I have those two as hypothetical(s).

clowsui

Smash Legend
I don't understand why you shouldn't count CSRBTs towards rankings when:

1. I have roughly 35 unique entrants in the league - AKA 35 people have deemed my tournament series important enough to invest in the series, more entrants than any S2D thus far (no disrespect intended Joey)
2. The series has a system in place that allows people who DO NOT have the capability to attend too many tournaments to improve their standings
3. The final tournament has a $5 separate entry fee ANYWAYS
4. The rankings accurately reflect a distribution of skill and only INCREASE in accuracy the more CSRBTs attended by an individual

The only real "weakness" to CSRBTs is that, like any other "circuit", people who enter at the last tournament and do not have existing seeding points get an extremely ****ed up bracket...but I'm thinking about ways to circumvent that. The inability to attend 5 events spread all across various weekends in a 2 month span is absolutely not a good reason to discount the accuracy and potential contribution of CSRBTs to your PR, especially when everybody there takes it seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom