• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The OFFICIAL Missingno Thread!!!

Sirwin

Smash Rookie
it would be a cool thing. Problem is, Nintendo has NEVER acknowledged or said one thing about Missingno, it was an obvious glitch, while he's one of my favorite Nintendo "characters", it's not gonna happen.. Nintendo is just too much of perfectionists to allow a harmful glitch character to be acknowledged, especially in a Nintendo all-star game.

Would be awesome though. I'd REALLY like to see him as a boss, and have the intro be all glitchy and stuff so that your game looks like it's crashing, but it's not. won't happen though. i actually made this a long time ago. not as cool as that ytmnd posted, but http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=455134

Vasilicus

Smash Journeyman
nice. You made that?

And TBD it actually only takes one person to get you banned - McFox - and he had you in his sig last week as stupidest person of the week (what a surprise)

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
Yeah I am so hated here even by McFox that I am infamous you know what they say any PR is good PR. McFox actually doesn't mind me anymore really.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And I decided to do a full-out search for any similar topics. There are none. The only other one was closed, and this is a full-remaining topic.

The only thing that would be nice is actual discussion of moves. Also thanks to FlowmastaBo for information of MissingNo.'s true origin. Thus, he is not a glitch, he is just leftover data combined together to make a fake Pokemon.

Anyhow, TBD, please shut up. All you're doing is making useless posts that are about discarding the thought of MissingNo. as a possible brawler. Don't get me wrong, as much as I love the "character", he does seem a bit too obscure for Smash.

Getting back to the point of all this; MissingNo. was a fairly fast creature with a wierd list of moves. No pokemon could have two of the same attack without a gameshark/action replay/etc., making him unique as is. His poor defense was outmitted by his terribly high Special Attack power, even at Level 1, it was fairly deadly. His normal attack was also pathetic.

How does this translate into Smash? Simple. He'd be a lightweight character with not very strong moves(much like Mewtwo is), but his specials would be fairly broken(which would be balanced by have some afterlag, which Sky Attack would be the exception with more starting lag, kind of like how Fire Fox has some). In Pokemon Stadium, his appearance was that of a Poke Doll based off of Rhydon. True, looking like a Rhydon Doll wouldn't work in Smash, but maybe a wierdly designed bird might be more practical.

I also had a theory that when Mew was taken out of the English version(or should I say, the availabiblity of) that his data was put into MissingNo., to an extent. It would explain why he's #000 where Mew is #151(which after 150, would overlap to 000), but that's just a theory. I don't believe in it anymore, and little proof is available either.

If I had a list of all available moves he can be taught, I'd come up with a moveset. Funny how GameFAQ's...for once...actually had a good move set for him. Scary thought, no?

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
maybe if they were dumb enough to put cheat codes in brawl, missingno could be some side effect boss that appears if you cheat to much. but brawls chances of havin cheats are as low as missingno being in, my point is, missingno would only stand a chance if the game had cheats, and i dont think it will

The majority out of 45,000 people I doubt it it is only about 20, so yes it does.
if there was a vote for you to be allowed on this forum, i can safely say even people that dont know you would vote against you. just 1 page with you sayin **** can make people hate you. the votes would go like... 500 to 1 with the 1 from zombie.

Vasilicus

Smash Journeyman
FiErCe's arguments?

And some moves for Missingno I have thought of them.

You would fght him on Cinabbar Island, part of the stage would be blocked by water and if you fell in you would die, the other side would be blocked off by a volcano hill that goes up like the SMW level (if you go too far you die). Missingno appears like the master hand, and he can freeze you, glitch your character, use water gun and sky attack on you.

kill_shot

Smash Journeyman
why would nintendo but a glitch in a game?!?!?
thats just stupid. Because he isn't a licensed nintendo character any character.IT IS JUST A GLITCH! a mistake.....it will never make it into ssbb

BlindSideChaos

Smash Rookie
like i've done on other topics, im not even going to skim through what people had to say, this is a horrable HORRABLE idea,
"He really is a classic Nintendo character."
wrong."missingno" is not an actual character, was a glitch, and was never intented to be in the game to begin with.

"1. A: There are two things that, when combined, made it possible for this trick to exist. Here they are:

When creating the map for what Pokemon appear where, they made a crucial flaw. The 1-square-wide strip of water on the right side of Cinnabar and Seafoam Islands was programmed to be a place where wild Pokemon CAN appear. But (and thank GAMEFREAK for this one) they forgot to define what Pokemon can appear there. This wouldn't be that big of a deal, except that means the previous settings for "what Pokemon can appear" will remain, and if you read #2, you'll see why that causes the glitch.

2. When the Old Man catches the Weedle, they change the variables that are assigned to "Your Name" to Old Man, so it shows up as "Old Man threw the Poke Ball." Now, in order to do that, it overwrites the variables you gave to "Your Name". Therefore, the game must store the variables that make up your name to another place, so it can recall them later. So the programmers at NOA probably thought,
"What are some variables that we can overwrite to assign to the character's name for this process?"
"I got it! How about the slots that define what Pokemon you can run into?"
"That's it! Whenever the character enters a new area, they'll be rewritten, so it won't disturb the game at all!"
*points to #1* Umm.....no. As a result, that wonderful glitch can be yours for only *insert whatever price your local retailer charges for R/B*! Of course, it's not JUST Missingno. you can run into. There will also be some L100+ Pokemon, whose species and levels are determined by your name.

*sees audience sleeping*"

information from: http://www.trsrockin.com/missingno4.html

annddd now im done

Vasilicus

Smash Journeyman
Wow you have 666 posts 0_o

I would say something because all these posts are off-topic and incredibly lame but... so...... tired..................................................................................................................................................................

Hey dude, going to go to any tournaments once Brawl comes out? If so, I'll money match your Missingo with my Nothing!

It'll be a hoot!
And i'll MM you your nothing with my Master chief!!

This....thread...sucks....

I don't even need to explain why.I say that anyone who tries to acknowledge Missingo as a character for brawl fails horribly.Why?? BECAUSE HE DOESN'T EXIST!!!!!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And i'll MM you your nothing with my Master chief!!

This....thread...sucks....

I don't even need to explain why.I say that anyone who tries to acknowledge Missingo as a character for brawl fails horribly.Why?? BECAUSE HE DOESN'T EXIST!!!!!
This thread only sucks because of spam and nothing added to the discussion on hand. He doesn't exist as a pokemon, and that is true. But he does exist as a character, as does Mr. Game & Watch, who wasn't even a direct character either, so your point is moot.

A character defines a being that adds to a story, or does something specific. Even a small character that barely does anything still makes them a character. Thus, he's just as much of a character as anyone.

Does Missingno. deserve his own thread? Yes, and here's why: He's not a pokemon, so he can't be put into a Pokemon Thread. He has his own abilities, his own form(to an extent), his own characterization, and frankly, he's just as good for Brawl as anyone. He's better than a Generic character since he has multiple abilities it can learn and use, and he's more than obscure enough for something like Smash.

So stop spamming. Either say something productive(like maybe a move list?) or get out of this thread. This applies to everyone spamming. And this also applies to the thread creator. Seriously, add something other than one-liners to this discussion.

This thread only sucks because of spam and nothing added to the discussion on hand. He doesn't exist as a pokemon, and that is true. But he does exist as a character, as does Mr. Game & Watch, who wasn't even a direct character either, so your point is moot.
Um,Mr.Game & Watch was a historical and original character.He has had his own handhelds and is a major contribution towards Nintendo's History.Don't try to compare a glitch to a Nintendo Icon.

A character defines a being that adds to a story, or does something specific. Even a small character that barely does anything still makes them a character. Thus, he's just as much of a character as anyone.
He is just a fail-safe program,a meer glitch,nothing more than that.

Does Missingno. deserve his own thread? Yes, and here's why: He's not a pokemon, so he can't be put into a Pokemon Thread. He has his own abilities, his own form(to an extent), his own characterization, and frankly, he's just as good for Brawl as anyone. He's better than a Generic character since he has multiple abilities it can learn and use, and he's more than obscure enough for something like Smash.
You just contadicted yourself,if he isn't a Pokemon and he is from the Pokemon Universe,then what is he?He is a non-existant bug in the game with no real form or shape.He is like water,it has non existant form or shape,and if it's taking the shape of X pokemon,shouldn't we just have that pokemon in the game?

So stop spamming. Either say something productive(like maybe a move list?) or get out of this thread. This applies to everyone spamming. And this also applies to the thread creator. Seriously, add something other than one-liners to this discussion.
I know that i'm wrong for that,but how can you say something productive for something that doesn't exist??Missingno is nothing,and i don't care what anyone says,it's something that you can't deny.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mr. Game & Watch himself wasn't a direct character for quite some time. Notice how they're called Game & Watch games, not Mr. Game & Watch games. His character is a compilation of abilities based off his games.

Suddenly Red isn't a Pokemon character because he's not a pokemon? Nice try, but Missingno., while a fail-safe program(which is NOT a glitch), is still just as much of a character as anyone. He himself was even more of a character than Mr. Game & Watch.

If he didn't exist, why do we run into him? Last I checked, there wasn't a download or anything like that to erase him. Just because Nintendo denies his existance, doesn't mean he doesn't exist. Since when do high profile programmers and game-makers admit mistakes? Very few do.

You say I can't deny it, when I just did. Atleast thank you for trying to discuss this, which is better than many have. Also, if you don't care what anyone says, why did you just fully reply to everything? You apparently do care.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Mr. Game & Watch himself wasn't a direct character for quite some time. Notice how they're called Game & Watch games, not Mr. Game & Watch games. His character is a compilation of abilities based off his games.

Suddenly Red isn't a Pokemon character because he's not a pokemon? Nice try, but Missingno., while a fail-safe program(which is NOT a glitch), is still just as much of a character as anyone. He himself was even more of a character than Mr. Game & Watch.

If he didn't exist, why do we run into him? Last I checked, there wasn't a download or anything like that to erase him. Just because Nintendo denies his existance, doesn't mean he doesn't exist. Since when do high profile programmers and game-makers admit mistakes? Very few do.

You say I can't deny it, when I just did. Atleast thank you for trying to discuss this, which is better than many have. Also, if you don't care what anyone says, why did you just fully reply to everything? You apparently do care.
Your argument is faulty. True, it was a fail-safe program, but Missingno still does not exist. The name missingno comes only from the data for the number of the particular pokemon not being there, or 'missing'. Hence, missingno, or 'missing number'. The random blocks and graphics that you see are merely the flawed result of the game having no number to correspond a sprite to, ergo the glitched image appears. Missingno isn't real. It's a glitch, and it most certainly does not even merit a casual mention in a game for Nintendo's All-Stars.

Mud Buddha

Smash Ace
Nice try, but Missingno., while a fail-safe program(which is NOT a glitch), is still just as much of a character as anyone.
You haven't explained at all why that's the case.

A fail safe program is exactly what it says on the tin. something that occurs, in the EVENT OF A FAILURE. Nintendo do not expect their products to fail, so he cannot be acknowledged as something Nintendo want to you to see. So he is not a character.

Imagine you went out to watch a play at the theatre. The play was a Midsummer Night's dream. You're at the scene where Oberon is instructed Puck to sprinkle love juice in people's eyes. Now imagine you see one of the costume managers breifly in the very back of the stage.

Is HE a character in the play?

No.

Wrench

Smash Apprentice
i can see it now....
Fox feverently is battling through adventure mode..He battles fiercly against fire wind water and air and every character imaginable. Finally he reaches the peak of a mountain and sees his final battle field. He scurries down and slids slowly onto the field...He look around and finds not a soul when GIGA BOWSER APPEARS!!! "No!" says Fox. "I defeated him in the last game1"
And thats when Giga bowser explodes in a mighty pixel explosion only to reveal himself as...

MISSINGNO.!!!!!!

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
i can see it now....
Fox feverently is battling through adventure mode..He battles fiercly against fire wind water and air and every character imaginable. Finally he reaches the peak of a mountain and sees his final battle field. He scurries down and slids slowly onto the field...He look around and finds not a soul when GIGA BOWSER APPEARS!!! "No!" says Fox. "I defeated him in the last game1"
And thats when Giga bowser explodes in a mighty pixel explosion only to reveal himself as...

MISSINGNO.!!!!!!

then your game freezes...:laugh:

Your argument is faulty. True, it was a fail-safe program, but Missingno still does not exist. The name missingno comes only from the data for the number of the particular pokemon not being there, or 'missing'. Hence, missingno, or 'missing number'. The random blocks and graphics that you see are merely the flawed result of the game having no number to correspond a sprite to, ergo the glitched image appears. Missingno isn't real. It's a glitch, and it most certainly does not even merit a casual mention in a game for Nintendo's All-Stars.
Thank you.

THREAD CLOSED!!!

the iron peach

Smash Apprentice
i can see it now....

MISSINGNO.!!!!!!
I'm sigging that. Missingno ftw.

Edit: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! It's too long to sig!

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
Imagine playing as missingno. Imagine shorhopping, L-cancelling and, dare i say it, wave dashing. A sliding block of...whatever it is...would be totally awsome. Or imagine him holding the edge...or being knocked into the background. What would he do when he won? What would his taunt be? How would he hold items? Or what if he got a super mushroom, or metal box. The questions are endless...

Metal missingno FTW!!!

Top Bottom