• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ohio Brawl Power Rankings (11/25/12: NEW RANKINGS UPDATED!)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Just rank people like normal because no one from other states/regions is gonna wanna try and decipher some weird looking rankings. People want to know where they fit in with things and with M2K/Shugo/Infern/Y.b.M. out and MK banned its basically open season on the Ohio PR.

Or use the Texas system.

Also Blue Rogue is best in Ohio.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The PR doesn't accurately reflect anything though; no one has cared about it for years. No one who has ever been around the top of the PR has ever actually cared about it; the only people that have are the people that have something to prove. By definition, those are the people with inconsistent results.

You want to promote competition, do it between states. MI vs. OH crew battle, group C players only. OH picks MI's group C players, MI picks OH's group C players.

I get the idea of promoting competition, but the power ranking has never really done that. It's promoted bickering during voting time every time, but that's about it. It's always an after thought, not a "I have to do good to get higher on the power ranking".

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I feel like he's been slipping; I'd honestly say you have the best shot at best in Ohio at the moment unless the MK ban lifts, in which case Kel would probably jump back at the top. I don't think I'd play, so I'd stay off the list.

There isn't really anyone in OH that is much better than anyone else in Ohio, but your character and history with said character mesh well enough to make your natural ability more than enough. Everyone else has been playing bad characters or new characters. Or bad new ones.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Blue Rogue is a fraud.

Every C/D group player in Cincinnati will have at least one win on him within the next half year. Believe it.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I lost to Blue Rogue today...though the set counts were 1-2, 3-1, 2-3, so on the whole we basically were even with 6 game wins a piece.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Just rank people like normal because no one from other states/regions is gonna wanna try and decipher some weird looking rankings. People want to know where they fit in with things and with M2K/Shugo/Infern/Y.b.M. out and MK banned its basically open season on the Ohio PR.

Or use the Texas system.

This. Texas system isn't bad either, but from what I understand there isn't a very good form of decay management for the inactive players on that system. I could be wrong however.

@ Everyone else (in Ohio...) - Perhaps we should all begin discussing panelists now. So far we still have Kel and I as panelists (if he still intends to be one), and are now in need of one or two people from Columbus. Having at least one more person from both southern Ohio and NEOH as well should help to have as balanced of a player perspective as possible.

P.S. As a friendly reminder...I am, and have always been, extremely objective. I was accused of bias once which surprised me greatly, and I would prefer to not have to be faced with that out of nowhere again. Thank you.

:phone:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
No one, absolutely no one, on the panel has ever not been biased at any point during any of their actions with the panelist with the one possible exception of a person who just posted the win results of every tournament and ranked specifically off of who placed higher the most.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
^ prove it.

Also, can anyone explain the Texas point system? I'd like to know more but all they have is their program DL on the OP. Does it work like the SWF ladder system?

Judo777

Smash Master
Never understand why people think its important to be perceived as a skilled player. Whether I'm good or bad, regardless of what anyone thinks about my skill, I'm gonna place the same. Like if I'm good, I'll place well, if I'm not I still might place well (not as likely) but what YOU (not directed at anyone) think about me makes no difference. Like for real guys its a game.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
Never understand why people think its important to be perceived as a skilled player. Whether I'm good or bad, regardless of what anyone thinks about my skill, I'm gonna place the same. Like if I'm good, I'll place well, if I'm not I still might place well (not as likely) but what YOU (not directed at anyone) think about me makes no difference. Like for real guys its a game.
I wish this was Facebook so I could like this post.

I am a butt.

Roller

Smash Legend
@tako: prove otherwise...
@Kass: yeah, you'll get last in bracket regardless.
@Judo: in reality it does matter a bit. Like, MJG won't have to play Kain early in bracket because we perceive those 2 as being arguably the best in the MW right now. If they had to play earlier because one of them was seeded wrong, it would DEFINITELY affect the bracket. They may still get top 2 if no non-MW is there, but whoever lost would **** half of losers bracket up because of failures in skill perception.

Both locals and regionals are mostly seeded loosely by PRs. So this **** can actually matter, regardless of whether it should or not.

Also. AZ & BR for top 2 in OH, imo.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure anyone in Columbus cares enough about the PR group to be a panelist. I think I might have been that guy like half a year ago/a year ago, but nah. I dunno, maybe ask MX or Carls. I'll stick to (co) hosting when I can.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Hmm MX...I may text him about it. He's pretty level-headed but I'll have to see how acquainted he is with general player knowledge.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
If he isn't entirely schooled on it, I think he's a person that is malleable and willing to talk about what he doesn't understand. I don't really consider myself a large well of knowledge about Brawl-related things (but at the very least I keep up with this region) and he and I have talked about things before (how to break the walls he's run into, character matchups, re-evaluating after matches).

Even if he isn't up to par with his general player knowledge, you can groom him. And I think that's what the PR group needs, to be honest.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
If Juu cared he would be great.

From the guys I know in OH this is what i believe would be a good PR panel.
- Chi (Regional Host, good player)
- Sneaky (Solid player, knowledgable of scene)
- Eddie G (Solid player, knowledgable of scene)
- AZ (Excellent TO, great player, very knowledgable because of time in scene)
- Kel (basically AZ minus TO because i dont think kel hosts tourneys.)

Roller

Smash Legend
I mean, it would be a subjective, non-biased panel member who knows about the game and knows all the PR level players.

...That's what you wanted, wasn't it?

I'll be a panel member, if you want your discussions to get more heated for no reason.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't think many of you understand what bias is...

The only way to have a non-biased panel member would be: not to have someone who would be on the list, nor have someone who enters tournaments and could potentially be on the list.

And probably they would not be allowed to talk to or know anyone who could be on/potentially be on the list.

-This may be 'conflict of interest' but 'conflict of interest' is essentially the underlying cause of bias. Point is, the only way to prove and for certain have 'no bias' is to have someone on the panel with no conflict of interest.

Everyone is biased.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
That is very well put. Motives, whether conscious or subconscious, exist within all of us and our choices/actions. No one is void of it, no one is perfect.

Kel

Smash Master
I'm am down to remain as a panelist. But first, we need to get 10 players worthy of a top 10 to judge from!

Everyone mentioning that they think a different player is the best in this thread proves how out of the loop we all are. I don't think I could properly make a top 10 due to inactives.

AZ, talk to me. If possible we may need to start something again like 2008/2009. PM me if you're interested and aren't too busy with grad school.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I was wondering about that too Kel. Changing it to a top 5 or top 8 list for the time being would be more appropriate imo. Starting from scratch isn't a bad idea either. This thing needs a complete overhaul as it is.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I was inducted because of my overall positive reputation within the Midwest community and my extensive knowledge of the Ohio scene.

Thanks again guys.

Judo777

Smash Master
@tako: prove otherwise...
@Kass: yeah, you'll get last in bracket regardless.
@Judo: in reality it does matter a bit. Like, MJG won't have to play Kain early in bracket because we perceive those 2 as being arguably the best in the MW right now. If they had to play earlier because one of them was seeded wrong, it would DEFINITELY affect the bracket. They may still get top 2 if no non-MW is there, but whoever lost would **** half of losers bracket up because of failures in skill perception.

Both locals and regionals are mostly seeded loosely by PRs. So this **** can actually matter, regardless of whether it should or not.

Also. AZ & BR for top 2 in OH, imo.
It really doesn't matter that much, only top 3 or maybe top 8 for large tournaments make money, just because I got screwed because I played MJG in first round loseres and i got 25th instead of like 7th like i might normally makes no difference if i place outside of money regardless. Seeding really only matters significantly when you are looking at like the top 5 players in a given tournament, and if they are top 5 then they are obviously good so who cares.

The only thing it changes is your results so you can........ talk about your placings and make yourself look better..... which is circular.

At revenge, lets pretend Kain was thrown in our pool too, and now lets say i beat Kain and Kain only lost to me and MJG and got third seed in a pool. Whoever (i think BR got third seed) now has drowned in pools. But did BR make money in the tournament? No he got eliminated too early for me (just like me). The difference (for me) was 7th place as opposed to like 32nd but both of those placing really mean the same thing. One just makes me look better but who cares.

Top Bottom