• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ohio Brawl Power Rankings (11/25/12: NEW RANKINGS UPDATED!)

Roller

Smash Legend
Judo, I didn't peg you as someone who only cared about making money. =/

Kinda disappointed. The money honestly isn't even close to the top of my list of incentives to do well.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
How is wanting to make money a disappointing incentive? We all have different things that spur us onward homie.

:phone:

clowsui

Smash Legend
Judo, I didn't peg you as someone who only cared about making money. =/

Kinda disappointed. The money honestly isn't even close to the top of my list of incentives to do well.
i think you misunderstood him

he's using the money-placing cutoff as an arbitrary point to determine which placements matter and which ones don't if you go by a placings-only approach

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Why would you even play this game competitively for anything BUT money?

I play now with friends and go to local events because it's fun, but it's only fun because of the people and history which I only had because I played it to make money in the first place. I can't really see someone saying "Man, I think I'll like this community; I'm gonna get to know 'em"

Roller

Smash Legend
i think you misunderstood him

he's using the money-placing cutoff as an arbitrary point to determine which placements matter and which ones don't if you go by a placings-only approach
But by choosing that as your point of skill determination, you are inherently insinuating that placing in the money is what matters. And the only difference between placing in the money and not placing in the money... Is the money.

Two tournaments of the same size could have two different payout structures, the point at which money is made is what is arbitrary. Using that point as a constant to determine performance is not.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
That's not entirely true. Soemoen making 5th place is more likely to make money in the future than someone making 16th

Overswarm

is laughing at you
But by choosing that as your point of skill determination, you are inherently insinuating that placing in the money is what matters. And the only difference between placing in the money and not placing in the money... Is the money.
That.

Technically placing higher makes it more likely that you'll win money in the future, so it's another difference.

Roller

Smash Legend
Example to refute that:

two 30 man tourneys

one has a top 3 payout

one has top 5 payout

By Judo's logic, 5th/30 at the one event is better than 4th/30 at the other.

To a lot of people this is actually true, looking at it from the perspective of

you made money as opposed to not making money.

And it's somewhat of a valid argument, I just don't value that as a measurement, personally.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Example to refute that:

two 30 man tourneys

one has a top 3 payout

one has top 5 payout

By Judo's logic, 5th/30 at the one event is better than 4th/30 at the other.

To a lot of people this is actually true, looking at it from the perspective of

you made money as opposed to not making money.

And it's somewhat of a valid argument, I just don't value that as a measurement, personally.
Well of course it's better. 5th made money at one tournament while 4th didn't.

Roller

Smash Legend
That's fine if you feel that way. It's definitely justifiable. But being from an upper middle class white family, money isn't really a problem for me. So I personally am more concerned with how I do/who I beat than whether there is a monetary incentive.

Like those silly **** who don't play for money.

Damn. J@ps is censored? lol

Overswarm

is laughing at you
That's fine if you feel that way. It's definitely justifiable. But being from an upper middle class white family, money isn't really a problem for me. So I personally am more concerned with how I do/who I beat than whether there is a monetary incentive.

Like those silly **** who don't play for money.

Damn. J@ps is censored? lol
lol @ getting off the phone with 5/3 mortgage to hear this

money is money

placements are irrelevant

no one will remember anything you've done in a few years, and those that do won't care. This occurs even in the lifespan of the game.

It's dangerous to pin your self worth on your actual placement. Makes you sloppy.

Competition:

Competition in biology, ecology and sociology is a contest between organisms, animals, individuals, groups, etc. for territory, a niche, or a location of resources, for resources and goods, for prestige, recognition and awards, for mates and group or social status, for leadership.

The higher you place whether or not money is involved the more prestige you receive. Placing in money gets you significantly more than say 16th/32 however, there is still prestige to be had in not placing in money.

Prestige refers to a good reputation or high esteem

Roller

Smash Legend
Also, most people don't pin their self worth on one aspect of their life...

Well, depressed people do..

Wait. Are you saying you used your 2008 money-placements in this game to judge your self worth after you took a hiatus? Or ever?

Not even joking, that would be kind of sad, and I would feel bad.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Also, most people don't pin their self worth on one aspect of their life...

Well, depressed people do..

Wait. Are you saying you used your 2008 money-placements in this game to judge your self worth after you took a hiatus? Or ever?

Not even joking, that would be kind of sad, and I would feel bad.
I swear there is something wrong with the school system in MI. I just said the exact opposite of that.

To clarify how poor your reading comprehension was, allow me to use a Dungeons and Dragons metaphor despite never having played the game itself:

You were asked to roll 1D6 to see if you passed your reading comprehension check, needing only to roll 2-6, giving you a 1/6 chance of failing.

You then proceeded to eat the die.

That is the level of failure I just observed.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Lol privileged kids. **** yo fancy cars, treadmills in yo basements, and moderately attractive soccer moms. Actually...I wouldn't mind if I do. White moms are ****in' FREAKS.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Fine, you base your self worth on the money you made from them? Because that is what you implied.
And then after someone pointed out that you ate the die you were supposed to roll, you then shoved a handful of dice into your mouth and chewed defiantly.

Roller

Smash Legend
"Mi-Roller guarantees a superior performance compared to any vibration control devices regardless of price."

"Also, Mi-Roller has 4-10 times larger ball diameter"

YoOOoOooOooooOOOoOoOo

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
The MI Troll Virus has been implanted.

Mission complete. Good work gentlemen.

I'll check this thread in a few weeks when you all become nocturnal, alcoholic and start using :denzel: and :yeahboi: properly and frequently. You may also experience an increased appetite in Bacon. This is normal.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The MI Troll Virus has been implanted.

Mission complete. Good work gentlemen.

I'll check this thread in a few weeks when you all become nocturnal, alcoholic and start using :denzel: and :yeahboi: properly and frequently. You may also experience an increased appetite in Bacon. This is normal.
You guys don't know how to troll. You just instigate and/or post unintelligently. Trolling is an art form.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
You guys don't know how to troll. You just instigate and/or post unintelligently. Trolling is an art form.
agreed.

However, Roller is a decent troll, and I think later on he could be a great troll if he learns proper timing and spacing. i.e. laying low, lurking threads waiting for the opportunity to strike at the most deadly times. Not sitting around for 10 pages unsuccessfully waiting for a girl to notice you.

Luminoth64

Smash Ace
agreed.

However, Roller is a decent troll, and I think later on he could be a great troll if he learns proper timing and spacing. i.e. laying low, lurking threads waiting for the opportunity to strike at the most deadly times. Not sitting around for 10 pages unsuccessfully waiting for a girl to notice you.
I laughed. XD

Top Bottom