• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official Pivot Walking (and PW Crouching) thread.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Everyone who is not creative:
Leave now, you probably won't ever find this useful.

Everyone who thinks outside the box:
Glad you think outside the box.

tl;dr
You have to be creative to use this AT all, or at all really. It's like spamming wavedash in Melee, it's no help if your predictable with it. It's also no help if you don't know how to use wavedashing to your advantage.

@Mister_E

1. Dashing turns around slower (Except Squirtle)
2. You have more options out of a walk then a dash (ftilt, dtilt, utilt, jab, fsmash, dsmash)

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I watched the part 1 and 2.
This does not appear to be any more useful than simply dashing up to your opponent.
It'll never be used by anyone worth mentioning in high levels of play.
Last I checked, doesn't Link's go faster than his regular dash?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
@Mr. E: That's only if you overuse it letting your opponent read you. Dashing goes along with this, you could dash, PW, then hit them with a tilt or even dash back, and surprise them. Basically, it's good for mindgames which if I may remind you, Brawl relies on.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Okay, my character has a decent projectile that I'd use against anyone using the PW around me.

Even if I didn't have that, I'll just let him approach me with it rather than to jump into his mindgames. It's really not going to psyche out an intelligent player.

SuSa

Okay, my character has a decent projectile that I'd use against anyone using the PW around me.

Even if I didn't have that, I'll just let him approach me with it rather than to jump into his mindgames with it. It's really not going to psyche out an intelligent player.
And if they have half a brain they wouldn't PW into the projectile + they can shield it you know.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
[ Up-B cancel [vid coming soon] is mildly situational, and can only be performed by Link, Toon Link and Pit. Spining Kong lag cancel [vid coming soon] is performed identical to Up-B cancel, but for some strange reason it cancels the lag animation after the attack is perform, as long as you land on the ground. Instead of polluting this thread, I'll just make a General Pivot Research Thread or something.
Is it this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPK7vzBqrR4

don't mind sasukebowsercharmeleon's bad taste in music :p

Seconded.

Naming stuff after yourself is completely stupid and unoriginal.

I know there are a few exceptions, but for something like this? Come on...
Read the thread, it wasn't his original intent to name it after himself, but they couldn't find another name at the time.

Personally, I liked it. If he had some other account name, it would probably be lame, but Doop Walking? How cool does that sound. I also liked "****** walking" and "ballerina walking"

I vote for "You Spin Me Right Round Baby Walking" (YSMRRBW)

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Now you're getting it.

They would shield it. Then they'd realize PW'ing is useless against projectile characters. ;)
To be fair, you don't need to approach with this. This can be used to quickly gain the distance needed for a properly spaced tilt with characters like Marth and Sonic for example. It has situational, but also practical uses.

I also agree with Hylian. Pivot Walking/Boosting would be a much more professional term for this discovery than Doop Walking.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
We couldn't think of anything so we picked that. We agreed to change it if it didn't stick.

And it didn't. So Pivot Walking it is >.> (now let's not change it again please :3)

@mister E

I like how Marth's love to walk everywhere considering their dash pretty much sucks, and severely limits your options. Especially since his dash attack sucks and his usmash isn't that great either. This is faster then his walk, and opens up the same amount of options, and even allows easier pivoted dtilts for if they try to roll behind you. You can use this to quickly get under a platform and use utilt.

Obviously, it's not going to be great for everyone (go look at Glide Tossing) however it will help certain metagames (I'm feeling Sonic/Marth, and possibly DK... plus an alternate to Pivot Boosting for Links who have problems with it, like myself)

:3
I think the problem is that people don't like to change the button configuration. I don't know if it's because of Melee, but when I've mentioned changing a few buttons on the configuration, people freaked out complaining about how complicated that would makes things. I can see how locking up your attack button, in order to perform a technique may complicate things, however it is possible to assign the attack function to more than one button. For me, what works best (when I'm using the Pivot Walk configuration) is to set the Z button to attack [X button becomes Grab, R becomes Sheild]. Since my index and pointer fingers naturally rests on the shoulder buttons, when I'm done Pivot Walking, I can immediatley attack afterwards with a tilt or smash attack.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
You know thats like saying:

Projectile spam would dominate dashing (harder to turn around)
Projectile spam would dominate walking (slower then PW'ing)

So uhm.... yah >.> invalid argument much?
Not at all.

Why would you approach with PW'ing when projectiles are flying in your face every couple seconds, whereas you could be breaking through the projectiles more easily without PW'ing?

BentoBox

Smash Master
We couldn't think of anything so we picked that. We agreed to change it if it didn't stick.

And it didn't. So Pivot Walking it is >.> (now let's not change it again please :3)

@mister E

I like how Marth's love to walk everywhere considering their dash pretty much sucks, and severely limits your options. Especially since his dash attack sucks and his usmash isn't that great either. This is faster then his walk, and opens up the same amount of options, and even allows easier pivoted dtilts for if they try to roll behind you. You can use this to quickly get under a platform and use utilt.

Obviously, it's not going to be great for everyone (go look at Glide Tossing) however it will help certain metagames (I'm feeling Sonic/Marth, and possibly DK... plus an alternate to Pivot Boosting for Links who have problems with it, like myself)

:3
How is using ze wafflez a faster way to pivot a d-tilt? Seeing as you'd have to press A first... Unless you meant that you should use it once its already initiated? @_@ And how exactly does pivoting help you drop off a platform and u-tilting? And do you have to release A before attacking?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
@ Mister_E: Well in that scenario of course you wouldn't want to PW, that's plain dumb.

You use it sparingly, it's not like Mewtwo's WD in Melee where it's the main method of getting around. Doing anything repeatedly makes you be able to be read, and you don't want that. You're not going to be using it all the time, maybe to mindgame someone once, maybe twice in a few matches and to possibly get in a tilt.

I'm not seeing how doing the U-tilt thing is any better then just dropping through though.

SuSa

How using ze wafflez a faster way to pivot a d-tilt? Seeing as you'd have to press A first... Unless you meant that you should use once its already initiated? @_@ And how exactly does pivoting help you drop off a platform and u-tilting?
during the pivot walk, the second you pivot do a dtilt/utilt.

PW under a platform (not off it) and utilt >.> its actually pretty useful

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Melee was much faster paced- I noticed some of you tried to compare it to the Melee fox trot.
In Melee, you could fox trot with C. Falcon several character lengths away from your opponent and then jump and knee with your enormous horizontal momentum surprising the opponent quite often.

It just won't work that way in Brawl. Everything is MUCH, much slower and thus this will be too predictable.

SuSa

Melee was much faster paced- I noticed some of you tried to compare it to the Melee fox trot.
In Melee, you could fox trot with C. Falcon several character lengths away from your opponent and then jump and knee with your enormous horizontal momentum surprising the opponent quite often.

It just won't work that way in Brawl.
With your logic on PW'ing however, you're saying QAC is basically just as useless.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Lol, QAC.

QAC is too fast to punish unless you literally know it is coming before the Up B is inputted for it. And even then you have to be pretty godly to hit a Pika out of their QA.
PW'ing is not even remotely similar.

BentoBox

Smash Master
PW under a platform (not off it) and utilt >.> its actually pretty useful
Oh, I get it now. The platform is irrelevant.

But that would imply that the Marth is using PWing as its main displacement tool or is actually going to u-tilt as a prediction and not a reaction, because again, he would need to be holding A beforehand, and for him not to swing his sword, he'd have to be airdodging or performing whatever other move.

If you're chasing someone, is PWing and u-tilting really faster than shield cancelling a dash and u-tilting?

SuSa

Oh, I get it now. The platform is irrelevant.

But that would imply that the Marth is using PWing as its main displacement tool or is actually going to u-tilt as a prediction and not a reaction, because again, he would need to be holding A beforehand, and for him not to swing his sword, he'd have to be airdodging or performing whatever other move.

If you're chasing someone, is PWing and u-tilting really faster than shield cancelling a dash and u-tilting?
Not sure

10unsures

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
K, im back.

1. I'll change the name to pivot walk, now that the technique is quite well known.
2. I'v ealready suggested changing the controlls in the OP.
3. certain characters can approach certain projectile spallers with PWC.
4. Luigi really gets an extra long slide from this, it's best used with dsmash and... dtaunt XD

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
I use it for taunt right now. Me likey. When I get more comfortable using it in general I'll probably use this in place of just walking away from opponents

Legan

Smash Lord
Dude Ive got no problem with you using this technique, you like it I love it. Pivot boosting is not easy in the least to incorporate into competitive play and finding an easier way to pull it off is awesome. All I'm saying is don't classify this as a completely different technique because this is simply a different method of performing a pivot boost.

BentoBox

Smash Master
While fairly technical, I'm thinking that Peach could probably flow from an instant floated b-air to an PB'd i-f f-air, seamlessly. That's kinda hot. I wish I had a Wii :[.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Pivot walking is a good tech for use as a taunt or making your opponent keel over in laughter and then punishing them for it.
It can be used for way more then that. I suggest you check out PWC if you haven't already, I'm pretty sure you can do all kinds of wierd pivot attacks and stuff out of it.

EDIT: I made a thread in the Luigi section too, maybe they wil have SOME use for this.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Is there any way you could swing the momentum for this back and forth with the C-Stick? It'd be like a dash dance, only it would be a...a...DOOP...DANCE.

UWOcho

Smash Apprentice
Is there any way you could swing the momentum for this back and forth with the C-Stick? It'd be like a dash dance, only it would be a...a...DOOP...DANCE.
it appears that it will only change the direction you're facing. Thats why you can stand on the spot doing this and it will spin you in circles.

Top Bottom