• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official Pivot Walking (and PW Crouching) thread.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
I've done this a lot before. It's pretty easy.

I have a quick question -- would a method such as this be better than doing a RAR with Toon Link leading into a bair combo? Or maybe just doing a RAR overall?

I never really found it useful is which why I never posted it before.. but from what a lot of people say it could be.. can someone explain?
It's a confusing approach (see Game&Watch especially) so your opponent doesn't know what you're planning to do, relatively fast movement with no(?) chance of tripping (see Marth especially), allows you to perform tilts in any direction relatively quickly, can desynch iceclimbers VERY easily (obviously, see Ice Climbers), allows for an efficient pivot boost from certain characters (see Link), is basically another way to RAR (see Toon Link, though this applies to every character), and is a frickin awesome KO taunt :D (see the funny looking ones)

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
Roll desynch IC's, buffer Fsmash, Doop Walk.

Nana Charges Fsmash until you release it. While Doop Walking. As in... changing direction.

Holy ****.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
It's a confusing approach (see Game&Watch especially) so your opponent doesn't know what you're planning to do, relatively fast movement with no(?) chance of tripping (see Marth especially), allows you to perform tilts in any direction relatively quickly, can desynch iceclimbers VERY easily (obviously, see Ice Climbers), allows for an efficient pivot boost from certain characters (see Link), is basically another way to RAR (see Toon Link, though this applies to every character), and is a frickin awesome KO taunt :D (see the funny looking ones)
That clears things up a lot.

Well, I guess I'll start practicing this competitively tomorrow.

I'll try situational use at first then constant use once I get used to it.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
No, this is not meant for constant use unless you're one of the characters that benefits from walking, and your DW is actually better then your walk....

It's a situational AT, just like them all, however this has a lot more 'situations' in which it would be useful.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
Here is a "Flinching" demo, which is directly related to dooping (It's basically the reverse), "Limping" is basically "Flinching" while walking [vid coming soon], and here's is the boost counter vid, which relies heavily on dooping. Up-B cancel [vid coming soon] is mildly situational, and can only be performed by Link, Toon Link and Pit. Spining Kong lag cancel [vid coming soon] is performed identical to Up-B cancel, but for some strange reason it cancels the lag animation after the attack is perform, as long as you land on the ground. Instead of polluting this thread, I'll just make a General Pivot Research Thread or something.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Doop walk is a horrible name :/. Can't we just stick to something specific to the tech? Maybe pivot walking. Or C-stick walking. Or even Spin walking.

I hate it when people name things after themselves :/.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Pivot walking is understandable. This just seems kinda useless for majority of the cast.

How does this help vs MK?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Pivot walking is understandable. This just seems kinda useless for majority of the cast.

How does this help vs MK?
Motion to change the name to pivot walking.

Doop walk isn't descriptive at all.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Seconded Hylian.

Doop Walk sounds strange. Pivot Walk just sounds more...professional.
I don't really see any real application for this to someone like Sonic, despite that his looks pretty awesome.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I saw a video of Falco performing this trick but I can no longer locate it on youtube.

So this looks pretty useless. How would it be used in high levels of play?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Well, Hylian he did discover it.
So? I discovered Firedashing and grapple dropping in melee and I didn't try to name them after myself. I discovered several variants of the IC chaingrab and didn't try to name it after myself.
You get things named after yourself by using them famously. The Ken Combo for example. Things that are already in the game don't need to be named after people. It's just confusing to people that are new to the scene.

Should I try to name crouching after myself?

Giving things names that relate to the tactic is what should be done as it's helpful.

Edit: You can also do this without the C-stick. Sethlon has been doing it for months. Go watch the matches of him vs Infinity's MK on my youtube channel KylianXelKythe.

mc4

Smash Journeyman
looks cool, i just don't know how effective it would be in a competitive match but with further practice and application i guess we never know

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
If this deserves a name other than Doop walking, it is most certainly WAFFL'ing.

And the IC's can do ridiculous stuff with this. Moving, directional changing charging, nana Fsmashes... wtf.

F3ma Ch33f

Smash Apprentice
So? I discovered Firedashing and grapple dropping in melee and I didn't try to name them after myself. I discovered several variants of the IC chaingrab and didn't try to name it after myself.
You get things named after yourself by using them famously. The Ken Combo for example. Things that are already in the game don't need to be named after people. It's just confusing to people that are new to the scene.

Should I try to name crouching after myself?

Giving things names that relate to the tactic is what should be done as it's helpful.

Edit: You can also do this without the C-stick. Sethlon has been doing it for months. Go watch the matches of him vs Infinity's MK on my youtube channel KylianXelKythe.
I see your point, and I do remember seeing Sethlon doing it in a match agaisnt some guy named Melee_1. So this guy really didn't discover it first at all huh?

Tenki

Smash Hero
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=174137

It was originally brought up there, and the name people settled with was "crazy walking". It functions pretty much the same way (turning while walking), but the input was (walk, tilt backwards, walk, tilt backwards...). It was a rather awkward input.

But Doopliss found an input that made it much easier to perform. So now it actually feels somewhat usable.

Legan

Smash Lord
Im with Hylian on naming it Doop Walking, It really is a god awful name. Ive also been doing this for months without the use of the c-stick, it's just a different way to do an old tech.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Motion to call it Ballerina Dance.........xD
Agreed!

Motion to change the name to pivot walking.

Doop walk isn't descriptive at all.
Hm, Pivot Walking is too bland, I like the below suggestion better.

Windmill with Added Forward Fast Sliding
W A F F S
WAFFLES

I think is a most appropriate name for this. Before thinking of anything derogatory to say, think shuffle XD
See, it describes the name and it's catchy.

True for the first part, but really he can call it whatever he wants right, even if Pivot Walking is better. But really, it isn't even walking...it's Pivot Fast Walking with a few characters. I either agree with or suggest the following names:

-Accelerated Walking Pivot (AWP) (Only with some characters)
-Posthaste Walking Pivot (PWP) (" ") Popping...>___> nevermind
-Rapid Walking Pivot (RWP) Ripping? :laugh:
-WAFFS
-Pivot Walking

As for it being discovered, yes, but this uses it in a better more effective way. (You can go faster with Marth, etc)

Tenki

Smash Hero
PW

PW forward 2 steps --> PW back x1 --> dash away/towards, depending on if they attack or dodge.

:3

I leik acronyms.

ASC SDR SDJ SDH VSDJ DDP HA FT LOLSONICS

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Please let's not call it "Doop Walking". If I had discovered this I wouldn't want it named after me. It should have a name that does it justice by describing it succinctly.

Now, again, how the hell is this absurdity useful in high levels of play...?

Boofy!

Smash Champion
Unlike this that was found earlier today, Craq Walk has been around for a while. :ohwell: would really, really confuse a lot of people.

And I don't want to see 50+ threads on "wtf is this backwards slide reverse walking... isn't this like Craq Walking?"
A valid point, Craq walking it is...

*sigh*

BTW the OP didn't even wanna name it after himself if i remember correctly

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I watched the part 1 and 2.
This does not appear to be any more useful than simply dashing up to your opponent.
It'll never be used by anyone worth mentioning in high levels of play.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
We couldn't think of anything so we picked that. We agreed to change it if it didn't stick.

And it didn't. So Pivot Walking it is >.> (now let's not change it again please :3)

@mister E

I like how Marth's love to walk everywhere considering their dash pretty much sucks, and severely limits your options. Especially since his dash attack sucks and his usmash isn't that great either. This is faster then his walk, and opens up the same amount of options, and even allows easier pivoted dtilts for if they try to roll behind you. You can use this to quickly get under a platform and use utilt.

Obviously, it's not going to be great for everyone (go look at Glide Tossing) however it will help certain metagames (I'm feeling Sonic/Marth, and possibly DK... plus an alternate to Pivot Boosting for Links who have problems with it, like myself)

:3

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I watched the part 1 and 2.
This does not appear to be any more useful than simply dashing up to your opponent.
It'll never be used by anyone worth mentioning in high levels of play.
Except that when you dash the opponent knows what you're doing and when you PW, you could go either direction. It's like dashdancing, only it's safe considering you don't trip. Plus, dashdancing was good in Melee for showing off and mindgames, so I see this as essentially the same thing only you do it while walking, and you can do a lot of things out of it. It's nothing that's going to change the game, but I'd say it's a good thing to use, especially if you're G&W, Marth etc.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
All the opponent has to do is treat this pivot walking as the opponent dashing up to them and punish it just as easily, if not more easily.

Except that when you dash the opponent knows what you're doing and when you PW, you could go either direction. It's like dashdancing, only it's safe considering you don't trip. Plus, dashdancing was good in Melee for showing off and mindgames, so I see this as essentially the same thing only you do it while walking, and you can do a lot of things out of it. It's nothing that's going to change the game, but I'd say it's a good thing to use.
When you PW up to the opponent he still knows your options if he knows the match-up. I don't see how this can create mindgames against any opponent with half a brain.

Top Bottom