• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ohio Circuit Championship: Delta Upsilon I - December 5th (POOLS POSTED!)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Argent, if you think I was bluffing you don't know me very well. I'd burn a forest down to catch a squirrel, and I never bluff.

And Beef:

Hell yeah I'll use the ledge! If that's what it takes to win, sure. Then if people watching the match can say "look at that" and you see planking actually become a problem, that's when rules can be made. I've planked before to stall out time so there would be more transformations / removal of bananas/mines on screen, and I've planked when I'm at high % vs. their low % (higher risk situations for both, but I'm at high % anyway), and I've planked against characters that do poorly vs planking (Falco, Sonic, single popo ICs, etc.), but you'll never see me just grab the ledge with a 3% lead and then win every match for the rest of the tournament. If that worked, I'd have done it a long, long, LONG time ago.

If you can't start out a rule change with "Due to recent problems", it doesn't have a foundation to stand on.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Argent, if you think I was bluffing you don't know me very well. I'd burn a forest down to catch a squirrel, and I never bluff.

And Beef:

Hell yeah I'll use the ledge! If that's what it takes to win, sure. Then if people watching the match can say "look at that" and you see planking actually become a problem, that's when rules can be made. I've planked before to stall out time so there would be more transformations / removal of bananas/mines on screen, and I've planked when I'm at high % vs. their low % (higher risk situations for both, but I'm at high % anyway), and I've planked against characters that do poorly vs planking (Falco, Sonic, single popo ICs, etc.), but you'll never see me just grab the ledge with a 3% lead and then win every match for the rest of the tournament. If that worked, I'd have done it a long, long, LONG time ago.

If you can't start out a rule change with "Due to recent problems", it doesn't have a foundation to stand on.

So if I get this straight, your post essentially says you'd have no problem creating major problems to solve minor ones, and that now that the planking rule is gone, you plan on abusing it.

Did I get that about right?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
lol who cares if you weren't bluffing Overswarm. It really wouldn't matter that much if you two didn't show up. Love you guys to death but the tournament would go on without you.

I will be enforcing Tyr's rule on planking. See if I'm bluffing. :)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
So if I get this straight, your post essentially says you'd have no problem creating major problems to solve minor ones, and that now that the planking rule is gone, you plan on abusing it.

Did I get that about right?
If by "abuse it" you mean "use it when it works", then yes, I will.

Similar to one would "abuse" projectiles if a 30 projectile limit was removed from a ruleset.

Planking isn't unbeatable, or even a winning strategy, in most cases. There are a few matchups where it works, and some situations (like when you have an opponent throwing projectiles at you nonstop) that it is a good idea, but on the whole planking is a losing strategy. High risk for little reward.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
lol who cares if you weren't bluffing Overswarm. It really wouldn't matter that much if you two didn't show up. Love you guys to death but the tournament would go on without you.

I will be enforcing Tyr's rule on planking. See if I'm bluffing. :)
I'm with you on that, bro.

I will be enforcing the district's law on assault. See if I'm bluffing. :)
Oh, you're cool... xD
There are other means to make people cry like *****es. It's all on finding what makes them tick, but I won't dive into all of that psychological junk right now lol.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
Of course I don't know you well... We like never talk or friendly or anything... Mostly my fault... I'm kinda introverted...

solecalibur

Smash Master
If by "abuse it" you mean "use it when it works", then yes, I will.

Similar to one would "abuse" projectiles if a 30 projectile limit was removed from a ruleset.

Planking isn't unbeatable, or even a winning strategy, in most cases. There are a few matchups where it works, and some situations (like when you have an opponent throwing projectiles at you nonstop) that it is a good idea, but on the whole planking is a losing strategy. High risk for little reward.
I still think your gloating a little bit just because you made AZ budgt there is still time to change it back you know.... even if I don't like the rule its better then dealing with planking because its nice some characters can't deal with it great some people can abuse it then against those "bad" characters its great people aren't abusing it but the fact that it has a potential to be abused we should definitely increase the grabs but something like 50 and even change it for certain stages because some people have a lot of spare time to test stuff like this (not pointing at you OS im talking about ZSS boards really -.-")

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Too lazy to c/p an image and edit it. Yeah, get at me.

I'm not against changing the rule. I'm not going to change it though cause some people want to try to throw their weight around. I would probably change it if enough people backed OS's side of the argument and concurred with his logic, and this includes people outside the radius of cinci. Or I may raise the limit to 30-50 or so. Who knows.
Then I am re-voicing my support of OS-Kel's opinions that this poor rule needs to be removed. Also still going to be showing up either way, as I said before. :p It's not a radical rule and everyone knows what they're getting beforehand, no surprises. I know you already removed the rule by the time of this post but you asked, so I'm just letting you know.

It's not about how often the rule comes into play. Matches don't go to time very often, so the rule is inherently non-relevant in most cases. It's just a lame cop-out for, "I don't like planking. It's not broken, it's just annoying and mentally taxing to deal with. I'd rather not deal with it." I'm a firm believer in not banning (or severely limiting) non-broken stuff, else there's a whole lot of crap I'd like to see banned; one of them starts with an "M" and ends with an "eta Knight." Falco being bad against planking isn't all that different from Ike being bad against anybody with projectiles or DK being bad against Dedede. On that note, I wonder if OS still wants MK banned...

I don't remember this rule being in effect for AZ's past tournies, I only recall AZ asking people to keep track of their ledge grabs just to gauge what a good number might be if he did implement such a rule in the future.

To fix this, we came up with stage striking. I don't recall who thought of it first, but we all discussed it and refined it and found a few truths to it:

1. The more stages, the better
2. The stage list needs to be fair for every matchup
3. It has to be an odd number for an even number of strikes.

...[and so on]
Just stage strike from the entire tourney list of legal stages, ****ing cripes. Hell, you don't really even require an odd number of stages, just have the "winner" of the RPS (which most people don't even bother with) start the striking procedure if the number of stages is even. No johns about how that person gets a very slight advantage because they're striking one more total stage than their opponent, their advantage is getting the final strike regardless. Let the players/characters dictate the most fair starter stage instead of arbitrarily constricting the initial striking to the traditional neutrals.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Just stage strike from the entire tourney list of legal stages, ****ing cripes. Hell, you don't really even require an odd number of stages, just have the "winner" of the RPS (which most people don't even bother with) start the striking procedure if the number of stages is even. No johns about how that person gets a very slight advantage because they're striking one more total stage than their opponent, their advantage is getting the final strike regardless. Let the players/characters dictate the most fair starter stage instead of arbitrarily constricting the initial striking to the traditional neutrals.
Dastrn had the same idea, but while I agree with the premise, you could easily have matches starting on Pictochat or PS2 or other stages when playing in the MW. While it wouldn't bother me, it wouldn't be fair to other players.

T-800

Smash Apprentice
Keist, that would be awesome. I believe Pops will be joining us as well.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Parking options are:
There is a garage within a 3 block (about 7 minute walk). I believe it is $7 to park there all day.
Additionally there is (a lot) of street parking.
I'll have a map as it gets closer to the date.

REMEMBER THE BANNER CONTEST GUYS! GET THEM IN YOUR SIGS AND SPREAD THE WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
Parking options are:
There is a garage within a 3 block (about 7 minute walk). I believe it is $7 to park there all day.
Additionally there is (a lot) of street parking.
I'll have a map as it gets closer to the date.

REMEMBER THE BANNER CONTEST GUYS! GET THEM IN YOUR SIGS AND SPREAD THE WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How are the winners decided? Is everyone voting on them or? >_<

Baro

Smash Journeyman
If I play for srs and don't make it out of pools, I'm quitting Brawl forever ^_^

Also, I'll be bringing Clash of Ninja Revolution 3 for people that like ******** orange jumpsuits

solecalibur

Smash Master
If I play for srs and don't make it out of pools, I'm quitting Brawl forever ^_^

Also, I'll be bringing Clash of Ninja Revolution 3 for people that like ******** orange jumpsuits
aww make me feel good about myself ....

I'd also have my banner in my sig but Nova's kind of pwns mine so Im not going to even bother

So far my car looks like from OUGA I might bring Juu and Scidi (hunky) and a couple of Neoh

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Assuming I can go for doubles and singles, POPS and T-800 will be joining me. Otherwise they'll be getting there before me.

I'm debating on what prize to use for Obstacle Course, Chipotle gift card or a semi large flash drive. I'm opened to sugestions but its gotta be something 10-15 dollars worth.

Baro

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow, obstacle course is finally being done for something!?

Nice nice nice!

(ban MK for obstacle course)

Mac Royale

Smash Cadet
Anyone in the Cinci area able to pick me up at Miami University? I don't know how far outta the way that is, but I'll pay for half the gas, and your singles enrty fee.

T-800

Smash Apprentice
Oh wow, obstacle course is finally being done for something!?

Nice nice nice!

(ban MK for obstacle course)
If it's anything like the first one, MK will be a terrible choice for it.

T-800

Smash Apprentice
k im most likely attending with the rest of OUGA, the best group of Smash players I could ever want to associate with due to a potent combination of talent, charisma, looks, and primal musk, if i do ill have a set up as well
Fixed that.

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
^lolz kiest^

Anyway, I'll probably be there. Hopefully I'll have my new secondary ready by then cause pools are gonna be intense.

Top Bottom