• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Preservation | Toronto, Ontario | December 4th 2010 | LIVESTREAM IS UP!

HrcPoke

Smash Apprentice
I better be able to Go!..
If I do, I better not Get Holy or Ally second match in >.>

Tin Man

Smash Hero
There will be pools This time around. Considering the attendance we have already, it should be safe to guarantee that as time goes by. So good luck in pools.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I intend to get out of pools. That is my goal.

Nah, too low.

I intend to not be last in brackets.

Nah, still too low.

I intend to place in the top half of people.

Hrmmm... I suppose I could do better...

I intend to place top 8, no top 4, no, top 1.

Except I can do better than that.

I intend to come in 0th place.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
If I don't work, I might go up there for the practice.

I might be able to bring a T.V or 2. Just saying. AND I might be able to bring 2-3 more people, just because we live so close :D
If I am placed in a bracket with Holy again, just mark me down for 0-2.
You'll be in Iliads pool :p

Also, York U this friday instead.

And let me know more on the TV/ur friends situation when u can. I have u down for One TV so far. Thanks btw.

-Googs

Smash Lord
Set format (In Order of Procedure):
Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
Opponents start the stage striking procedure in a 1-2-2-1 fashion**
Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counter picks of the set
The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2

The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
The winner of the previous match chooses their character
The loser of the previous match chooses their character
Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match
**If there is a dispute, the striking order will be decided with the G&W hammer rule.
I'm confused to why you ban before the first match is played? Is it always like this? I am confused
Sorry for the double post

Tin Man

Smash Hero
There is no suicide rule/DDD chaingrab rule
Was this on purpose?
The suicide rule follows the 3.1 BBR rule set. If your bowser and you suicide someone. The results screen determines the winner. If its a draw, the players must carry out the conditions of a draw.

The DDD chain grab rule also follows rule set 3.1. If a player decides to choose a character that can be infinited by DDD, its their fault. Big steps, small steps, or no steps, its their fault for picking that is vulnerable to DDD's down throw. The player is responsible for knowing this fact and working around it. The infinite rule is still in effect tho. So basically if someone is being chain grabbed to 300%, the chain grab must be stopped or else its a violation of the stalling rule.

I'm confused to why you ban before the first match is played? Is it always like this? I am confused
Sorry for the double post
This is also in the 3.1 rule set, however we are taking this rule as more of a recommendation. Therefore it is still ideal and actually promoted that players ban when the win a match.

-Googs

Smash Lord
i agree with these rules was just checking what was up with the lack of them, cool and thanks. You should define them more on the front-page is people will probably assume that their the old rules

Mprime

Smash Ace
Lulz @ GaW rule, sounds a little time consuming compared to the classic RPS but fun none the less. I will wait till the guy hammers first and then I am going to run up to him and use the hammer on him for ****s and what ever number appears is what i get lulz

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
You'll be in Iliads pool :p

Also, York U this friday instead.

And let me know more on the TV/ur friends situation when u can. I have u down for One TV so far. Thanks btw.
I'll be there. I'll make sure fUddO gets down there as well, and maybe a couple other chaps I know.

GUARD

Smash Journeyman
I got nothing to do that weekend so I`ll tri to be there.... not confirmed though.

-Googs

Smash Lord
If guard drives i'm stealing a seat >< I wanna visit home, however this is during exams so i gotta make sure i'm in the clear

Mprime

Smash Ace
This is to the quebecers. i can house all of yahs! (this is matt i housed u guys b4) the room is set up much better so it will be cozier and if u guys come we can supply food and not burn it this time :)

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Are you gonna drive a full car from Quebec?

(Ally, Holy, You, and iunno King Kong)?
I imagine Techiyo or Stroumbert would likely come with that car.

i need people to confirm wii's. At this rate there will be more tv's then there are wii's
There were last time too. My TV never got used.

Also in regards to the counterpicking a random stage to force your opponent to stay character, is the random stage select randomed from the neutrals or the entire stage pool?

Tin Man

Smash Hero
AvariceX. I believe that the problem was that there was no place to put your TV and not necessarily the fact that there were no Wii's available. I will talk to the venu owners and make sure I do what i can to get more space.

Also in regards to the counterpicking a random stage to force your opponent to stay character, is the random stage select randomed from the neutrals or the entire stage pool?
Entire stage pool.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Think I'm gonna sit doubles out this time. Money is suddenly tighter than last time. However if I change my mind I'll let you know.

Gichan

Smash Champion
Yes, lack of space was indeed an issue last time. Tin, only ONE more table is available at that venue seeing as I was going to help joe with it but then we risked hitting over other set-ups it ended up not being utilized. So ceX if you could bring that tv again I promise this time it will be used. I'll probably go there fri night and get that extra table.

there have been many times that I've visited tfns and I've seen the green section used instead of having to be surrounded. It all really depends on if the studio has been used, or will be used, recently.

I also need to set-up a poll for you gjuys to reply to;

Do you prefer 12-12 or 10-10.

The venue owner prefers 12-12, and personally so do I. I don't drive so I gotta wake up ridiculously early to get there because of the inconvenience of 3 buses. People like ceX drive 3 hours to get to this. I don't think it is that bad to start a little later. But if we do indeed use 12-12 Tin and I are going to be way more strict on time regulations so we may actually enfore Mage's DQ rule rather than being lenient. Also registration will begin RIGHT at 12 along with doors opening. Someone will be at the front while Tin and I take care of teh business of setting up.

There will also be NO BRAWL + this time. The game is finished. I will be adding RPS for $1. **** is mad hype, if you have not done it before I recommend you do, it's ridiculous.

Btw, thanks for taking care of the thread Tin, work been owning my life atm.

Gichan

Smash Champion
Double post.

Wow that is a ridiculous amount of maybes. Come on people there won't be a tourney in Jan so sneak in your tourney chances NAO.

Also, tell your friends, even if they don't come they may get someone else to come.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I also need to set-up a poll for you gjuys to reply to;

Do you prefer 12-12 or 10-10.

The venue owner prefers 12-12, and personally so do I. I don't drive so I gotta wake up ridiculously early to get there because of the inconvenience of 3 buses. People like ceX drive 3 hours to get to this. I don't think it is that bad to start a little later. But if we do indeed use 12-12 Tin and I are going to be way more strict on time regulations so we may actually enfore Mage's DQ rule rather than being lenient. Also registration will begin RIGHT at 12 along with doors opening. Someone will be at the front while Tin and I take care of teh business of setting up.

There will also be NO BRAWL + this time. The game is finished. I will be adding RPS for $1. **** is mad hype, if you have not done it before I recommend you do, it's ridiculous.

Btw, thanks for taking care of the thread Tin, work been owning my life atm.
NP for the thread. Its also my responsibility.

And I prefer 10-10 though I don't mind 12-12 :ohwell:

GUARD

Smash Journeyman
I wont drive ther no. BUT I'm deffinetly willing to take the bus there, I just gota speak with the others first.

.decoy

Smash Ace
time has always been a factor at tourneys, and every time we say that we'll be more strict. this isn't a failure on the part of our TO's, but rather a failure to cooperate with their numerous demands for timeliness.

still, i dont think that saying that we can regulate this better is going to work. it is simply too difficult to regulate effectively. the reason it works in large scale settings like viridian/mlg/apex/pound is because no one knows anyone and people dont give two ****s about DQ'ing someone. our scene is much more intimate, and who is going to DQ mike for taking a piss while joe is waiting for him. not only will our TO's not do that, joe wouldn't care right.

as a result of this intimacy i feel our scene cannot (at least right now) effectively run a timely tourney. what i suggest instead is to run a 10-10 tourney, but institute controls as they would be done if the tourney was 12-12. that way we can test how good we are at being on time without having to stay until 2 if we do fail.

thoughts?

Tin Man

Smash Hero
If we run a tourney from 10-10, we'll run it like a tourney thats supposed to run from 10-10. A tourney expected to end at 10 so people can get home early lol.

Hopefully no one will be disqualified but I'm certainly not afraid of DQuing someone if need be. And of course sufficient warning will be given. And people know people at Major's lol. The difference is if you piss of one region in the US, there are still like 45+ states that will go to your tourneys. If I were to piss off Mike, bye bye Hamilton. Its ******** that it would be that way imo.

.decoy

Smash Ace
If we run a tourney from 10-10, we'll run it like a tourney thats supposed to run from 10-10. A tourney expected to end at 10 so people can get home early lol.
you misunderstand me lol..

i'm saying runt he tourney from 10-10 but be as vigilant on time as you would if it was going from 12-12. that way we can see if we can actually run and finish and tourney in 12 hours. IF it does go over, then we know that we can't do 12-12 tourneys, because we can't wrap up in 12 hours. alternatively, if we do finish before 10, then in future tourneys we can talk about going from 12-12 knowing that we are actualy going to be able to finish at 12.

Gichan

Smash Champion
Of course of course, whatever the time you guys are getting owned with strictness on our part.

whatever then 10-10. **** another 2 hr sleep night.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
NEW EVENT

Amateur Bracket

The Amateur bracket is a bracket for players who were not successful enough in pools to make the Pro bracket. This event allows players to continue their tournament experience even after they have been eliminated from pools. The requirements to enter the Amateur bracket are as follows:

1. You must be eliminated from pools, therefore not qualifying for the Pro bracket
2. You Must pay a $5 entry fee that will go towards the Amateur bracket pot.

The Payout of the Amateur bracket will be 60/30/10.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Amateur bracket is an horrible idea if u dont have alot of setups trust me. add low tier LOL

and not many ppl will pay +5$
Low tiers will be time consuming since The same people in singles bracket will be playing in low tiers. And at the moment, there are More TV's confirmed than Wii's confirmed. I think we'll be good :p.

Patches

Smash Master
So what. X amount of pools, top 3/4 progress?

top 3/4 from X amount of pools go into pro,

Y amount of people from X amount of pools go into the amateur bracket?

Top Bottom