• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
The only ratio I really think should change is Diddy. We beat him with his own nanners, in the air, and offstage. He still has options but it should easily be 60:40 ROB imo.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I think Wario's fart in one of the most predictable moves in the game, it's one of those moves I always seem to avoid only due to prediction.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
If ROB gets a grab the air release isn't guaranteed, but is still gonna happen a lot. Out of it ROB has 2 amazing options: At not kill percents u get uair, and at kill percents you get usmash. Great duo of moves to have semi guaranteed.

It isn't guaranteed and as such, it will not happen often if at all. I don't know what you're talking about being 'semi guaranteed', because that's just not true.
Because that was just silly.

I think Wario's fart in one of the most predictable moves in the game, it's one of those moves I always seem to avoid only due to prediction.
It tends to be used when it's guaranteed, e.g. during your lag frames.

You guys seem to be missing a lot of things about this MU. You're talking about walling with nair and fair, it won't be all too effective. Bair does the job fine, but ROB shouldn't necessarily be occupied with walling in the first place, since he cannot do so without giving up space.

Another thing that has not properly been addressed yet is Wario's capability of edgeguarding ROB. Recover low, just do it.

MU is in no way in ROB's favor, though nothing worse than 40-60 either. Wario has all the tools to completely exploit ROB's vulnerable parts (teehee) while ROB really doesn't have anything specific on Wario. In fact, his ground game gets largely ignored, or at least isn't as effective, due to Wario's air game. Wario isn't dependent on staying on the ground, quite the opposite in fact.

You'll get uaired, and you're open for many fart setups. Wario can combo ROB to hell and back, survives annoyingly long (ROB cannot attempt to kill Wario without taking risks) and can easily deal with ROB's camping game.

60-40 Wario, been there done that. ROB can definitely handle Wario but it'll never be easy.

xzx

Smash Lord
Hi! I am a Wario main and I play the R.O.B. MU very often, due to ccst is my twinbrother! Okay, let me say a few words:

I would say this MU is about even, but I agree that Wario has the advantage but it isn't THAT big. I'll explain why.

Why Wario has the advantage:

-Hard to kill
-Farts and Up-air
-Not so easy to gimp
-Great recovery
-Air game
-Easy to avoid your projectils

What Wario will do:

-Staying much in the air and fight you there
-Up-air as much as possible
-Bite you
-Fart when you revover (watch out!)

What you should do:

-Your tilts are so annoying
-Try to knock off Wario from his bike when he recovers at all costs and gimp him there
-Laser spam when possible
-Avoid farts when you recover
-Try to grab release > upsmash
-Shoot the Gyro (Top) when Wario comes towards you on the bike (ground)

---

Yes, I believe the MU is 55:45 Wario's favor. Just space him with your tilts and try to disturb his recovery and you will be fine!

Tip: A Wario will almost NEVER gimp you (going out to you when you are offstage) because we are afraid to be gimped. We will almost always wait for you to return onstage again so we can battle.

NOTE: If a Wario goes offstage to you there is only one reason: fart. Be careful now, because almost everytime a Wario goes offstage to a R.O.B., he will fart you out, not gimp you! He maybe d-airs you but often it is a fart! Trust me!

Stages:

We love: BF, Brinstar, Halberd and maybe LC.

We hate: FD, JJ, FO and PictoChat.

---

I hope I was helpful! Thanks!

xzx

Smash Lord
Isn't Wario's uair usually saved due to it's awesome hitbox and killpower?
Some Warios does it, but I think it is really stupid becuase it deos amazing 17% damage and can juggle. Then it is only to refresh with a dair or two. I use it as often as I can.

@GwJumpman: I wrote FO which is Frigate Orpheon.

xzx

Smash Lord
I would say R.O.B. is ****** there, R.O.B. has many options and Wario has a few.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
orly?

All the Wario mains I've talked to in the past love Frigate and I've been told to even ban Frigate against Wario.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
The only ratio I really think should change is Diddy. We beat him with his own nanners, in the air, and offstage. He still has options but it should easily be 60:40 ROB imo.
You'd be surprised, his peanuts can be a b*tch to our Up-B, and a good diddy will make it tough for you to get back to the stage. Its true one good hit offstage will gimp the diddy, but with his amount of options and our slow air speed make it rather difficult. He also has a RIDICULOUS amount of tricks and has some crazy speed all round.

imo on top levels of play 55-45 is a solid ratio.

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
def wario's favor, 6:4 or 55:45

wario is generally good vs large characters and ROB is no exception
wario easily gets ROB above him which is a terrible place for ROB to be
bite also is really good vs ROB

all ROB really has is tilts which work pretty well but not enough to put the MU in his favor

also wario loves frigate but iono how good ROB is there (i've never lost to a ROB there though)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
def wario's favor, 6:4 or 55:45

wario is generally good vs large characters and ROB is no exception
wario easily gets ROB above him which is a terrible place for ROB to be
bite also is really good vs ROB

all ROB really has is tilts which work pretty well but not enough to put the MU in his favor

also wario loves frigate but iono how good ROB is there (i've never lost to a ROB there though)
The reason we put ROB over Wario in the air is because our Fair and Bair basically wall of pain him completely. If we just keep rolling out the Bairs and Fairs, you can't approach in the air unless we mess up, you get inside us in the frame lag, or mindgame us.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Frigate works for both ROB and Wario. But IMO Wario benefits more from FO than ROB does which is why I wouldn't take a Wario there. But I think it's 45:55 Wario. The match can really go either way, but Wario has more tools than we do.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
wow those matchup numbers are lol

i would personally say
snake is worse than that
diddy is better than that
falco is worse than that
marth is better than that
I would say that:

Snake: 55:45 (it stays).
Diddy Kong: 50:50.
Falco: 55:45 (it stays).
Marth: 55:45.

IMO.

And thanks for the responses Wario mainers and a few others! It's really appreciated. =)

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
The reason we put ROB over Wario in the air is because our Fair and Bair basically wall of pain him completely. If we just keep rolling out the Bairs and Fairs, you can't approach in the air unless we mess up, you get inside us in the frame lag, or mindgame us.
uhh, don't approach from the air every time then? lmao

also ROBs bair sucks **** dude, warios fair can poke it at the beginning or just wait for it (like ROBs nair) ****s not hard

also ROB has NO options to deal with warios uair when wario is below him, except to try and fly away.

ROBs Ftilt really is his best (and pretty much only) tool in this matchup because he can angle it up to stop a lot of aerial approaches and he can use it so keep wario away on the ground. It still doesnt give ROB the edge though

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Eh I still think it does but we can go back and forth with "if rob does X we can do Y." forever.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Wave Bounce Gyro Cancel.
Don't say that! It's called "Reverse Gyro Cancel". =/ :laugh:

But I think we have discussed the MU now, so according to me and my brother who have some experience about this, say that this matchup is in Wario's favour: 55:45 to R.O.B.. So R.O.B. has 45:55 against him. Do you agree? And it's NO WAY R.O.B. has the favour in this matchup, LoL.

Let's discuss our second hardest MU IMO: King Dedede.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
But come on: "Wavebounce", it sounds so stupid and uncreative.

Spin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
spinpai
revers gyro cancel just turns you around... wavebouncing switches the momentum... just sayin

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Instead of discussing names, discuss King Dedede. =P

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Yep, camp near that edge. I don't have much experience in this MU, but don't take King Dedede to Delfino Plaza, Rainbow Ride or Final Destination (preference though). Take King Dedede to Battlefield, Brinstar or Halberd. Battlefield is very good because the chaingrab is shorter than usual, and when he recovers, he usually lands on a platform, meaning a free Uair for damage or an Up-smash for killing. But King Dedede can also cancel his recovery and go for the edge.

King Dedede is a hard matchup because he can chaingrab us really easy with his amazingly big grab range (watch out for the shield grab, don't get too offensive!), he has good vertical killing moves which we hate (Up-tilt, D/Up-smash and even Uair/Dair). His Bair is a pain by the same token Fair. King Dedede kills us at 100 % (a chaingrab on the right stage can do around 50 %, half of the job!), and we kill him at 200 % +. And who's best at racking up damage? King Dedede with his cheap chaingrab... And remember, when he's at higher percent and off-stage, he will almost always go for the inhale. I remember a match against a D3 for two weeks ago, I struggled and struggled on FD, camped him, racked up damage, and took off two stocks from him with F-smash/Bair (on 200 %). He killed me at 100 % both times of course (I have one stock left now). Anyways, I managed to damage him to around 150 %, and got him offstage. "Come on, Fair him!" I thought. Then he inhaled me at 50 % and we both got killed (I struggled to get out). According to the rules, he got the win. I hate that fat cheap King Dedede. >_>

Nair is not a good killing move becuase King Dedede has the best verticall resistance, kill instead with Bair or F-smash (which are "good horizontal killing moves"). But try to gimp him more than killing him; with throws to Dair or Fairs (try to start a wall of pain). The enemies are annoying as **** (when a Waddle Dee jumps up, it can kill you at 120 %, it happened to me once -.-) becuase they block the gyro, and Gordon can kill us at 90 % (but it's fun to reflect them). King Dedede is such a pain to fight, and I hate fighting him. But try to laser-camp and always have a gyro on-stage. The gyro disturbs his chaingrab, especially when it's fully charged, so try to hit an enemy with a fully charged gyro!

According to me, he's our second worst MU after Meta Knight. Zero Suit Samus comes third and G&W fourth.

R.O.B. has 35:65 against King Dedede.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
My only thing is that D3 shouldn't be taken to Halberd because of Utilt.

This MU is like ccst said, 35-65 D3. Chaingrabs **** us and D3 can gimp us with the Bair WoP or finish with a fair. Waddles stop our gyro in its tracks and his spot dodge is better than ours, so if he reads our laser that can be a free grab. He's heavy as crap and that much harder to kill. So how do you stop the penguin?

To answer your question, yes, I change up my fighting scheme. What I do is bair a LOT more. Camping is your best option (if you want to win that is), but you can run and shoot as well. But rather than stay grounded, I try to stay in SH range but on stage, if it makes sense. Bair spaces well if he tried to chase, and you can always reverse gyro/laser/fsmash/nair to mix it up. Nair doesn't get me kills in this MU, so I rely on Bair and Fsmash.

Depending on the DDD (The best one I played was coney and he said I knew the MU pretty well), when they CG you (you can't run forever, so yes I said when), notice what they do when you get to the ledge. Do they finish with a dtilt? Or a fthrow? Depending on how they go about their move, depends on you action as well. If they dtilt, you may wanna recover high. If they fthrow you, expect a WoP DDD Bair style and counter by recovering below the stage. This is what I do when I fight DDD. But a hit and run approach is your best bet if you plan to use ROB.
That's my quote from the old D3 thread. Hit and run is your best bet (this includes planking). WB gyro and lasers help keep D3 off of you. Keeping a charged gyro on stage is also a good idea; try to keep D3 on the other side of it so he has to either shield it when approaching (you grab him) or he approaches from the air (laser or bair). If D3 is in the air, 90% of the time it's for a bair. Therefore, use Nair cautiously. FJ it if possible and use your SJ to get out of his sheild grab range. Our tilt game is also hampered by the grab range of the penguin, so I try to stick with Dtilt mostly. Grabs also help; each throw is 10% more on him so use them often, just not wrecklessly.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
ROB vs D3?

It's 60:40 D3 to me. To others they feel it's 65:35.

Damage Building

D3: CG, Ftilt, Bthrow, Dair, Bair
ROB: (I wouldn't know I don't play him)

Basically, in damage building D3 has an easier time. One grab = 50% with a fresh Dthrow at the start of the CG from one edge of the stage to another. Bthrow at the usually for extra damage if we feel we won't be gimping ROB. Bair beats ROB's aerials incredibly easy and dair serves as a good mixup. Ftilt is for spacing purposes and whatnot.

Camping

ROB should never approach. Period. If I have to go into detail let me know.

Killing

D3 kills at around 115+ with utilt and around 145 with dsmash depending on the DI of the ROB. ROB has ****ty kill moves, in my opinion, and your best bet to kill early is to usmash at 130+. Otherwise you're gonna have to build damage until 170% and fsmash for the kill. Setups for us are usually CG > mindgame > utilt > dsmash accordingly.

EDIT: I forgot stages.

Stages

Good for D3: Delfino, PS1, FD, Halberd, RC, Castle Siege

Bad for D3: Brinstar, uhhhhh anywhere that makes it hard for us to get the grab, etc etc.

Overall, 60:40 D3 if the ROB knows the matchup, 65:35 D3 is the ROB is new to the matchup.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
D3 isnt that bad for ROB imo,

FD is really good for ROB, you have space to move and no platforms to get in the way.

Keep gyro on the stage, fight from behind it.

U-air is easy to land on D3, use it alot its our most damaging move.

If you can force his Up-B its a potential U-smash.

I ban Castle Seige, since Delfino allowed sharking.

Blindman!

Smash Apprentice
i hate this MU badly! but i normally beat the D3 i play aginst alot..... the way i kill in this MU is to get off stage and bair or dair when he is comeing for the ledge and this is a match where u want to laser alot! avoid being aggressive if D3 comes close they r going to grab so time spot dodge accordingly...... id say 55:45 just cuz they kill us early and it takes us forever to get kill unless small borders and they **** us with bair which i think r fair can hit them at same time its happened to me alot of the time if i time right that gives us chance to get back on stage....... i like pictochat in this MU......

Top Bottom