• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

Silhouette

Smash Lord
To get back to the stage recover low and let the D3 spend a few jumps, then use a rising U-air, it should hit him easily.

Or shoot a gyro above his head and fly to the other side of it, then watch him run into it and cry till you time him out.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
worst matchup

fish for all the grabs to fthrow or bthrow you can. it's by far the safest thing you can do

and its not even that safe lol

the only great thing about this matchup is the edgeguarding. man i love edgeguarding ddd with rob lol

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Finland's best player (Skinutski) mains Dedede. I have little something to say, not much. I have to go now, but I will be back on saturday, please hold this one and wait for my stuff plz.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I hate DP against D3, too many walls/walkoffs, not to mention the areas with really low ceilings.

CS is way easier to manage imo, the walkoff form is easy to camp.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
don't go rob in this matchup, if you're interested in winning.

if you're only interested in repping rob, run out the time and hope for the best. stay grounded, force D3 to shield with gyros and try to rush and grab him. dash attack is the only other move you should use unless you can get d3 in the air and then you want to go aggro as **** and get as much damage as possible before retreating again. dont bother going for kills. if you get killed before him then you've probably already lost, so just accept it and go back to camping and pray you get lucky somewhere so you can potentially make it up with more damage before the time runs out.

like seriously. if you get killed before d3 in this matchup, don't bother trying to kill him, because thats what he wants you to do. camp him to 300% if you have to. minimizing damage taken in this matchup is far, far more important then getting the kill.

Well, I decided to do something useful and give my feeble attempt at input.

So, DDD vs ROB....

Are you serious? You should seriously be ashamed of yourself if you go with ROB in this matchup. Seriously. Keel over and die right now for the good of the genepool. However, since you're a dedicated ROB main who would NEVER even THINK about counterpicking another character and will bravely sacrifice yourself to rep your brethren, here's some advice so you don't get utterly ***** and the poor guy who has to go salvage your gears for a funeral pyre after the match doesn't have bottles thrown at him.

First of all, the grabs. His is bigger than yours (intended). Really. If you get grabbed kiss your trunk goodbye. DON'T GET GRABBED. On the other hand, try to get as many grabs in as you can for FThrows and BThroes. Anything that will give you some breathing room at low per cents and anything that might get you started for a good offstage game at high per cents. At low per cents, I'd recommend going for either an FTilt or one of your projectiles, whichever is your handsomest-looking option at the time. When you have DDD at higher per cents and throw him off the stage, then you're good as long as YOU'RE the one farther away from the blastlines. Since your aerials generally come out faster than his, you should have no trouble. He won't have his big bad bear to use, which means you should go to town with Fair.

I'll finish this later because I'm tired.

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
don't go rob in this matchup, if you're interested in winning.
Well, I decided to do something useful and give my feeble attempt at input.

So, DDD vs ROB....

Are you serious? You should seriously be ashamed of yourself if you go with ROB in this matchup. Seriously. Keel over and die right now for the good of the genepool. However, since you're a dedicated ROB main who would NEVER even THINK about counterpicking another character and will bravely sacrifice yourself to rep your brethren, here's some advice so you don't get utterly ***** and the poor guy who has to go salvage your gears for a funeral pyre after the match doesn't have bottles thrown at him.
You ROBs are being silly. The matchup isn't that bad. You guys might as well switch characters against mk, g&w, and zss if you've given up against DDD. :upsidedown:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
aww, i like this MU<3
you beepos are loco for thinkin this one is hopeless

Silhouette

Smash Lord
I R Backwards ROB and this R Backwards Land.

Where DDD is a worse MU than MK.

but seriously...

You guys act like a grab is a guaranteed KO every time, but really its not that bad a MU.

ROB wins offstage AND at camping, and if he tries to get close to you just keep the gyro between you two and it'll leave alot of openings.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
I R Backwards BOR and this R Backwards Thread.

Where DDD is a worse MU than MK.

but seriously...

You guys act like a grab is a guaranteed KO every time, but really its not that bad a MU.

ROB wins offstage AND at camping, and if he tries to get close to you just keep the gyro between you two and it'll leave alot of openings.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I love how some of you guys are scared of this MU, when some DDD's on the DDD boards are afraid of this MU the other way around.

I've found that this MU is heavily stage dependant, so if ROB wins round 1, it's usually not hopeless to win the set. DDD counterpicks you round 2, you probably lose, but you get the stage advantage round 3. However, if DDD wins round one, your best interest is to switch characters, even if you win round 2 and take him back to a neutral and you win, he still gets a CP on you, which will most likely be Delfino, Castle Siege, Halberd, any of those really, and unless by some crazy miracle, you'd probably lose. It's a sad fact that ROB's must face.

I know this isn't that much info, but I guess it can help? I hate to say it, but I know this MU a lot better from a DDD's perspective at this point.

It's definitely 65:35 DDD's advantage.

Good ROB stages: Smashville, Lylat, possibly Yoshi's?

Good DDD stages: pretty much anywhere else, the best being FD, Delfino, Castle Siege, Halberd, and RC

Silhouette

Smash Lord
FD is good for ROB is this MU, its your best neutral against him, your second best is Yoshis.

Halberd is 50:50, Sharking helps ROB a TON against D3, hence why I ban Castle and not Delfino.

man... I'm givin away all my secrets...

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I actually think we might have the advantage on Halbred. D3's uptilt is brutal there, but other than the stage favors us. I think the lower ceiling helps us kill with Up-smash/Nair more than it helps D3 kill us.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Dedede has a wall infinite on Halberd when the level lands on the ship, it's really situational and hard to space, but it's worth noting as an advantage for DDD, and he can finish it with an up tilt just like all of his wall infinites, but there's no wall for you to tech, so you're pretty much dead.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
It's not "infinite", but it lasts as long as the stage does when it lands on the actual ship. It's not when the stage is transforming, it's when it's already transformed. The only thing that gets in the way is the laser and the arm thingy, but most likely you'll be dead from a utilt before those stop it, it has a small ceiling after all, ROB probably dies from utilt around 90-100% on Halberd.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I think Zswarm is refering to the mini-walls on the sides of the hazard form of halbred. D3 has to space it right or it won't stop ROB's forward momentum but I've seen it happen.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
platforms are good for rob. they are the only way we can get damage.

you have to think of this from the point of view that a loss is already guaranteed. platforms can only help us in that case.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I think Zswarm is refering to the mini-walls on the sides of the hazard form of halbred. D3 has to space it right or it won't stop ROB's forward momentum but I've seen it happen.
Yea, those two tiny lips on both sides of the stage can stop momentum, creating an invisible wall basically, but it's really hard to space. I'm still having trouble getting it in practice because each character moves idfferent lengths out of d-throw.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
platforms are good for rob. they are the only way we can get damage.

you have to think of this from the point of view that a loss is already guaranteed. platforms can only help us in that case.
Yes but I feel like they help DDD more, without platforms Utilt is hard for him to land, and what other good Upward kills does he have?

but platforms DO help in certain situations, like punishing the sh*t out of his Up-B with a U-smash, which can be done without platforms and good timing.

But besides that he has multiple jumps and can make it difficult to punish him when he lands on a platform, while it can make it tough for us to reach the stage.

Yea, those two tiny lips on both sides of the stage can stop momentum, creating an invisible wall basically, but it's really hard to space. I'm still having trouble getting it in practice because each character moves idfferent lengths out of d-throw.
Neat thanks for informing us.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
always uair except at kill %s

and usmash doesnt even kill ddd until like 125% (with a sweetspot)

robs usmash isnt that great

stingers

Smash Obsessed
zelda has the best usmash in the game tbqh. usmashes mostly suck. fox and snake and oli are the only others with great ones. maybe 'zard

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
hey nao, ivysaur has the strongest in the game (i think), so let's give that booger some credit...

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Okay, I don't understand why you don't think it's a 35:65 MU...

The stages is a preference, but I have wrote it before: Battlefield is the best neutral stage, small size with platforms. You can't camp him here but his recovery options and his chaingrab nerf here.

Then please meet Skinutski (I know, Wi-fi, but still) and see what you think. King Dedede is hard as **** to kill and you can't gimp him due to his inhale. You must damage him to 200 %, while he can kill you at 90 %, and his chaingrab can do probably half of that damage. >_>
R.O.B.'s attacks do so little damage while King Dedede's do so much more. Seriously, rethink the MU, it is 35:65, not 45+ at least. R.O.B. can't outcamp D3 because of his enemies (especially Waddle Doo). R.O.B. mainers have a tendency to overrate this matchup. Meet a good King Dedede and you'll see. Skinutski = the best King Dedede in Europe...

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Okay, I don't understand why you don't think it's a 35:65 MU...

The stages is a preference, but I have wrote it before: Battlefield is the best neutral stage, small size with platforms. You can't camp him here but his recovery options and his chaingrab nerf here.

Then please meet Skinutski (I know, Wi-fi, but still) and see what you think. King Dedede is hard as **** to kill and you can't gimp him due to his inhale. You must damage him to 200 %, while he can kill you at 90 %, and his chaingrab can do probably half of that damage. >_>
R.O.B.'s attacks do so little damage while King Dedede's do so much more. Seriously, rethink the MU, it is 35:65, not 45+ at least. R.O.B. can't outcamp D3 because of his enemies (especially Waddle Doo). R.O.B. mainers have a tendency to overrate this matchup. Meet a good King Dedede and you'll see. Skinutski = the best King Dedede in Europe...
D3 is definitely gimpable. And if you're playing one that loves to inhale, then try baiting that inhale...it could lead to the D3's own suicide. I just don't enjoy bf because if I get stuck on the platforms, I'm usually going to eat an uptilt (a kill move I should never be getting hit by). Also, I don't really worry about nerfing the chaingrab unless it's to keep him from taking me to a stage with walk-offs or walls. Other than that, as long as I keep my back facing the smaller part of the stage and read when he tries to roll behind me to counter that, then I'm usually quite alright and eating very little % when I do get grabbed.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Dedede can take me to Delfino all ****ing day. The transition forms are all excellent against Dedede. They're wide, you can shark through the base, and most of the platforms are too tall for Dedede to navigate well. Landing parts, you avoid walk-offs and wall infinites by simply staying away from him (or camping the uneven parts of terrain). Same thing with Castle Siege's second form -- Dedede simple can't chase you back and forth camping the banisters up top -- except that stage still sucks because the first form blows and the third form is nothing special either.

I've taken to FSmash to punish his Up-B recovery, unless the USmash can kill. Knock him back out and force him to Up-B again! And silly Sil, you try to charge the USmash and he'll just cancel Up-B and move out of the way. :(

Dedede's Inhale... is not effective against much of anyone except as a rare surprise move. Most good players don't forget about it past the first time they've experienced it. :p Besides, ROB's FAir still beats it and he can recover quite easily if the player is good enough at mashing to escape in time.

You ROBs are being silly. The matchup isn't that bad.
hey guy what's up :lick:

KrayzeeGuy

Smash Rookie
Dedede is nowhere near impregnable for gimping with that inhale, Mister Eric is absolutely correct in baiting the inhale, not to mention the fact that once baited with the inhale, Dedede will most likely be forced to Up-B, and if you know your Dedede well enough, you could get ready for a side-smash to greet him with. (Though if you feel like pressing your luck, try a down-air) If anything, you can take the air-time for some gyro charging or shoot a stray laser.

On the topic of ground-fighting, camping is useful against Dedede, but he isn't too dangerous to approach, I've fought a good handful of Dededes to notice they can't do far too much without being powershielded/shielded and then down-smashed for a good 10% minimum. Now when they get grabby you space yourself.

Personally I find Dedede 45:55 MU (Dedede's advantage) at worst in my opinion. Because both sides really do have a good sum of tricks that can wind up in KO, but that's just me.

Stages I suggest to fight him on are indeed ones full of platforms, especially Battlefield.

With the platform placement on Battlefield, if a not-too-wise Dedede overshoots his/her Up-B, it can result in a free up-smash from you below the platform.

Top Bottom