• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
But yet again, camping a King Dedede is not as easy as it sounds. He's going to approach first, and then chase you either in the air or trying to grab you. R.O.B. can't camp that much. There is NO safe way to racking up damage on D3, whilst he can just chaingrab you twice and then Uair. One stock! Compare to R.O.B., he must struggle all day long to get one single kill...! And it's not the inhale that makes this MU 35:65 anyways. The true kills in this matchup are: Gimping him with Fairs, Bair and maybe F-smash. Let's count King Dedede's killing moves...

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Okay, I don't understand why you don't think it's a 35:65 MU...

The stages is a preference, but I have wrote it before: Battlefield is the best neutral stage, small size with platforms. You can't camp him here but his recovery options and his chaingrab nerf here.

Then please meet Skinutski (I know, Wi-fi, but still) and see what you think. King Dedede is hard as **** to kill and you can't gimp him due to his inhale. You must damage him to 200 %, while he can kill you at 90 %, and his chaingrab can do probably half of that damage. >_>
R.O.B.'s attacks do so little damage while King Dedede's do so much more. Seriously, rethink the MU, it is 35:65, not 45+ at least. R.O.B. can't outcamp D3 because of his enemies (especially Waddle Doo). R.O.B. mainers have a tendency to overrate this matchup. Meet a good King Dedede and you'll see. Skinutski = the best King Dedede in Europe...
You can't convince me a MU is terrible by making me play it on Wifi.

Stage is more than preference, it has a large influence on character MUs, the only preference involved is varying knowledge of how to play each stage.

His U-tilt is really dangerous on BF, or any stages with platforms for that matter, but its not too bad on FD, theres a higher ceiling and no platforms for him to catch you on. And if you play your spacing and zoning right you will NEVER take that much damage from one CG.

and yes, you CAN outcamp D3, lasers go through his projectiles and the gyro gets in their way too, just watch out for gordos.

I've taken to FSmash to punish his Up-B recovery, unless the USmash can kill. Knock him back out and force him to Up-B again! And silly Sil, you try to charge the USmash and he'll just cancel Up-B and move out of the way.
lol I know, but I was talking about forcing him to Up-B from below the stage, catching him when he is at the peak of his Up-B with a decently charged U-smash.

Throwing some decently spaced gyros at him while hes recovering gives him alot of difficulty, since his airdodge will cause him to lose alot of air.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i played an mk main, someone who doesnt use dedede, in tournament, after beating their mk on battlefield with 13%, and lost game 2 to their dedede.

ban dedede.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
i played an mk main, someone who doesnt use dedede, in tournament, after beating their mk on battlefield with 13%, and lost game 2 to their dedede.

ban dedede.
LoL an evidence to this offline battle Sil. King Dedede 65:35.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Smashville is a good stage to fight D3 on.
Why?

I feel like we have better attacks than D3, but since he can punish us harder with CG/KO faster/survive longer it makes the matchup really annoying. Pretty much like the snake matchup though it's tougher to gimp him, and he can actually space with aerials. 60:40 D3 favor.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I have played Skinustki in Offline, he is hard, but he is not too hard for my Rob at least. He gives me more problems when I play other chars. I don't know the MU much anyways.

Mr.E

Smash Lord

ban dedede.
I've two-stocked Fizzzzzzzle's Dedede on Yoshi's Island the past two times I've played him in brackets game one. I then proceeded to lose both matches to some combination of his MK and Lucario in the following games. :rolleyes:

free dedede!

Don't ask.

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
Nice try Mr.E, you'll never name-search dodge me! ^Do ask^ You guys will never believe the story. Oh yeah, E, the first time you won game 1, we didn't finish the set because we found out you read the bracket wrong...then we played in the next round.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Time to move on. Pikachu says hi! :pikachu2:

Wario's and King Dedede's summaries will soon be added to the OP. D:

stingers

Smash Obsessed
all i know about this matchup is that we win it. someone enlighten me to more, the only pikachu here is LDPK and i rarely play him.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I don't really know the ROB match-up, but basically this is what I know.

Spacing us out isn't as easy as a lot of characters. We have the speed to get in and with QA mix-ups it can be a pain to keep doing the right option.

Once we are in it is hard to get us out. Pika won't really let you shield in the middle of pressure so you won't be able to get an OOS D-smash if the pressure is good.

Pikachu can also juggle rob pretty good with U-tilts and Uairs. Nair will normally finish off the combo.

Pika can also put rob in bad positions off level because of T-jolt manipulating space. We can normally get at least one hit when you are off the level. It may not be much but it can rack up if I hit you off enough.

F-smash outranges landing nair if we space it right, so don't try to get it unless you are sure of your spacing/they are already charging. Fair probably will hit first so you can do that on reaction as well.

Don't get into a spot-dodge habit against Pika, we can D-smash it, basically the same thing as anybody vs ROB. We also have dair to punish sidesteps and it combos into F-tilt from like 20-55%.

Gyro stops T-jolt if it is on the ground, but don't let Pika get it. Our glide toss is amazing and can probably put you in a really bad position. Lasers are mediocre since non of Pikachu's attacks are really committing aside from Thunder, but we won't be randomly doing that.
I think this MU is even or 55:45 Pika because Pika is really good at juggling/setting up frame traps.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
I've never got to play any pikachu mains in Australia, since there is like none... lol. So I wont be able to help out with this one.. :/ (One thing that sucks about australia is someone characters are not represented there, such as Pika, D3, Luigi, Lucas and many more players from the roster)

Love to see some feedback from ROBs though =).

Nova9000

Smash Lord
I've played a few Pikas, and IMO its 55-45 ROB.

Pika's QAC makes him getting around easy, so they can get in our space easily. because of this, use gyro wisely. If possible camp behind the gyro. The gyro eats tjolts and Ftilt and SH Fairs can keep him out of your space. Ftilt is so important in this MU. Pika juggles us easily (as does everyone) so keeping him out of our space can prevent that. Our sibe B can reflect his thunder but most Pikas are aware of that and will only use it when you can't prevent it, so only use it if you see it coming. Another thing is use Dtilt more and Dsmash less. If they SDI our smash they are right in front of us and Pika hurts when he gets inside. When it comes to killing, Pika is light, so it makes it easier for us. However, getting to that point is tough. Pika is more difficult to gimp than most characters, so I try to use bairs offstage. If he QACs into it, hopefully he hits the hitbox of our move. Watch for Dairs and Nairs offstage from Pika. Those will kill us. I think our Fsmash is faster, but theirs has more reach. That's all that I have for now.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Only time i would recommend using Side b as ROB is when you are recovering high.

if ROB gets hit by usmash or utilt, time an AD instead of trying to reflect it. Don't momentum cancel either unless you were gonna die by the usmash/utilt unless you DI'd far away enough and only use fair to momentum cancel (any other aerial is too laggy to avoid thunder), otherwise its too easy of a thunder.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I have quite a bit of Pika experience under my belt (Stealth Raptor and Anther as well as some southwest pikas) and I can safely say that this matchup is even and can go either way.

Some highlights.

QAC loses out to some of ROB's moves. Through out an Usmash on someone who tries to popointo you with QAC from above will always win. Utilt is safer and also works. Jab often works for on the ground situations. Bair and nair also work if you predict well.

Pressure Pikachu with tilts and jabs, but never come too close or you'll be punished quickly for getting over aggressive.

Laser isn't too useful except for hitting Pika off stage when he's trying to recover, so might as well let it charge for use later.

Getting the kills is the hardest part of the matchup for both characters here. Pikachu has few safe options for kills on ROB, and the same is true for ROB.

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
Let's see...

Pikachu has a slightly difficult time getting inside of ROB's spacing but once we are in...you won't be getting us out very easily.

I find that QA isn't as useful in this MU for ground mobility as it extends Pikachu's hurtbox and this allows ROB's long reaching moves/projectiles to hit Pika with relative ease.

Don't rely on Downsmash to save you when you are being pressured.

Pikachu is a beast at juggling ROB in my opinion with Up Air and Uptilt(followed by Nair or Dair)

Pikachu's grabs allow some dangerous options against ROB at low>mid percentages.
(I find that downthrow > rising Nair is effective at high percents to get him offstage)

Once off stage ROB needs to safely maneuver around T-jolt (we'll hit you at least once, you're too **** big).

That's all I have so far. :<
I think this MU is about even. They both have trouble killing each other and have their own pro's and cons onstage and offstage.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I haven't played this MU so much, but Pikachu is too small and R.O.B. too big, so who gets in the most hits? Plus that electricity wrecks R.O.B. (just look at ZSS). Pikachu also is hard to hit with lasers and Pikachu is too nimble for R.O.B.. But he's easy to kill thanks to the light weight he has. Pikachu has very good options in the air too. I would say that this MU is 45:55 R.O.B.. Pikachu has the slight advantage in this matchup.

So which stages should we ban and cp him to? Can someone please mention that, because I don't know. =S

Tin Man

Smash Hero
ok so I really need a lot of help. I wrote 4 matchup synopsis but I don't wanna get infracted for multi posting. Can someone help me out by spamming after each synopsis I write. Say something dumb like "oh that's interesting" or "great work Tin Man". I really wanna post the synopsi' and I'll guarantee this information will be liked.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
I don't think you'll be infracted for posting usefull information. You're allowed to make double - tripple posts providing they use up the character limit. Well if thats what you're trying to say? =S

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Sorry for taking forever to do these boys & girls. Hopefully it was worth the wait tho

Ice Climbers

Game Start:

Camp your projectiles. In this case, it’s better to use your laser instead of gyro because the gyro can be blocked with the Blizzard and ice block, but the laser ignores these options. If they shield or jump over your laser, no worries because since its Long range, it’s completely safe to laser them.

Long Range:

ROB wins. ROB out camps the ICs at this range. This should is always where ROB will want to be in this matchup. If the ICs try to counter camp with ice blocks, use the gyro to block them by just standing behind it while it’s on the ground. They can’t do anything to bet the laser, they can only block/avoid it, so standing behind a gyro and spamming laser every second is a solid camping strategy.

Middle Range:

This is where things get tricky. Medium range is rather even because both characters can hit the other at this range. The ICs will try to shield your projectiles and reach close range. Be careful not to be stuck in a laser or gyro animation when they are trying to get close. You have to hit them away. Another approach they will use is to short hop or full hop and then blizzard in front of you. This is really good shield pressure and its one of the ICs attacks that deals the most damage. It can also shield poke so make sure you have a full shield ready otherwise you will have to SDI out of the blizzard (upwards) and retreat to another location. If you shield the entire blizzard, punish accordingly (depending on the spacing). An Ftilt will always reach them in time but the window is very small s make sure u can get in and out in time. The final approach that is common is to short hop, full hop, or even grounded squall hammer into you. This will knock us into the air if we fail to shield the entire thing. If it results with ROB in the air, the ICs will attempt to Uair the ROB. Just retreat to a safe location. If the entire thing is shielded, then it leaves an opportunity to punish, but from my experience, the window Is either extremely small or nonexistent. I have Dsmashed the ICs after the squall hammer approach only to find myself attack their shield, and getting grabbed. To solve this, I started grabbing the Ics after the squall hammer into me. The Ics have then learned to jab after squall hammer and the Dsmash will beat their jab. Therefore it’s a 50-50 mind game. I would not Dsmash but instead grab them (until they punish my grab attempt) because the risk, reward of Dsmashing them is not in ROB’s favor as he will get grabbed. The squall hammer can be stopped with any aerial, or any projectile, as well as an Fsmash or Ftilt, so if u can react, you can punish the squall hammer attempt.

Close Range:

ROB Loses at close range simply because of the ICs grab game. The ICs can power shield anything ROB does and get a free grab. Most moves will only hit the leader because the hit box won’t extend past the leader (moves include jab, dtilt, ftilt, utilt, fair, etc). If these moves are power shielded, the ICs will get a free grab and will continue into the chain grab. Moves that extend past the hit box of the 1st IC and hit the 2nd one (Nair, Bair, laser, etc) will result in knocking the CPU away because of the 6 frame delay for the CPU. ROB’s attack will still get power shielded and he will still get grabbed, but there will only be one IC near him, so mash out of the grab unless the IC just throws you.

Above the opponent:

This is a rather bad position for ROB. ROB does not protect underneath himself very well. The ICs can Uair very fast so there will be no time to Dair or Nair (the only moves that will hit below ROB). There is also the chance of getting hit with an ICs upB with they will use as a mind game in an attempt to kill you off the top. This will most likely happen only If they landed a Uair on u as a semi-setup. The ICs can also combo Uairs into each other at low percents and Rob can die at like 140 from a fresh Uair if he is distance from the ground is equal to the highest point of his full hop. Get down ASAP. When landing, if the ICs chase you, it’s best to Bair them while you land. If the Bair is power shielded and the hit box doesn’t extend past the 1st IC, you will get grabbed and the CG’d to death. Make sure to use you Bair high enough to reach the ground when it auto cancels (and fast fall the Bair to give the ICs less time to catch up to you), then either run since your faster than them, or Dsmash.

Recovering:

The Ics aren’t amazing at intercepting recoveries. They can try and Fair/Bair u offstage but u can just fair/nair their attempts. Getting to the edge shouldn’t be a problem at all.

Edge Guarding:

Use Bairs to edge guard the ICs. You can also use the gyro (try and plant it right on the edge) to force them to get up. Nair also works. Try to cover as many options as you can. When being edge guarded, you can jump the desynched blizzards and then fly back to a safe spot on the stage.

Separating the ICs:

These are some of the methods I have discovered to separating these guys.

[/LIST]
[*]Grab one of them (preferably the leader). Jab (to hit the other one away), then back throw. Then Dsmash the partner. It’s not as easy to do if you grab the partner)
[*]Dsmash them. Sometimes they fly in opposite directions, other times they will fly in the same direction.
[/LIST]

There are several other ways to separate them; however that would require a mistake on their part (such as not blocking something, etc)

Keeping them separated :

When going after the CPU, you can either Fair it off stage, then upB reversed Bair. Another option is to Nair it off the top. Watch out for the player trying to attack you while you attempt to gimp the CPU. If the CPU is far enough away that it is certain that she will not make it, fight the player instead. Grabbing the player character and jabbing him or just waiting until he releases will stop him from being able to save the CPU

Fighting sopo :

Out camp him, time him out, nothing he can really do. If you are at kill percents, make sure to really stay away. Don’t fair him cause if he shields it, it’s a free Usmash. Sopo has a very small chain grab on ROB (although in my experiences there isn’t on at all). DI up and mash jump and you will footstool him out of it. Not many things sopo can do that are very safe. Watch out for the blizzard attempts, try and get him offstage, then predict the recovery and either Bair or Fair it. However Fair can probably save him so try and Bair him to death.

Stages

Battlefield is a very small stage and the platforms offer the CPU several options of escape. They will jump to a platform to avoid you. FD is said to be a god stage by several ROB mains because of the ability to camp on such a long stage, but I feel that without a platform, ROB’s game is severely hindered against the IDs as more than often you will need a safe place to land. Smashville is the most ideal starter since it is fairly long and has a platform that even reaches beyond the level with will be necessary to avoid edge guarding. The YI can be good since the gyro won’t be able to get picked up in certain locations, and u can Ftilt thru the gyro to hit the Ics. Same with Lylat. The Uneven surfaces also help against iceblocks, and their chain grabs. Delfino is another great starter to take them to since they ground game really has to change with the transition of stages, (and the transition messes up chaingrabs). Halberd allows for sharking, and while on deck, the stage is long enough to camp. The worst part of castle siege is stage 3. Stage 1 makes it easy to get them offstage, and from there you can just edgeguard with Fair and Bair, and stage 2 is nice and long, so you can camp and run all day. PS1 can also interrupt their chaingrabs, it has very few platforms, and it’s a long stage, and the transformations benefit us more than they to the ICs.

Jungle Japes, Brinstar, Frigate and Rainbow Cruise are all great stages against the ICs. Camping on japes is exceptionally benefited by the separation of the terrain. Brinstar messes up chaingrabs, Frigate not having a ledge on one side screws with nana, and the flipside has an uneven surface, and Rainbow cruise’s 2nd state is extremely airbased.

Ratio

The Ice Climbers have an infinite, decent ways of getting in, and beat ROB close range. My Ratio is 55-45 ROB favor for winning long range, being able to separate them well, having the tools to stay off the ground when he needs to, and his gimp ability.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Marth

Game Start:

Fire your projectiles, or charge your gyro. There are many ways to do this. Find which ones work the best for you. Make sure to mix it up every match.

Long Range:

Camp Marth. When using lasers, more often than not, you will have to angle it up in order to hit him when he attempts to short hop into you. Short hop gyro’s can also hit him away if he short hops. Rob wins long range since Marth has no projectile. This is where you want to be in this matchup. Marth is fast so he can approach rather quickly. Has Marth is approaching

Middle Range:

Be creative and careful with your spamming because Marth can get to close range quite easily from here. All of Marth’s attacks are close range to he still cannot reach you from here, however he has the air speed and the running speed to get in close range really quickly. More than often to get him away, you will have to approach him so that you can get into close range on your terms and not his. You can also wait for his approach and punish accordingly. If he comes from the ground, you can Ftilt because it outranges anything he has. Tilt the Ftilt up and it outranges his Fair. Our Fsmash also outranges anything he has if he is in the air. You can shield grab him if he is coming from the air (however apparently if a Marth fairs into the ground, he can buffer a jab and it will prevent any shield grab attempts, this could probably also work with upB). Short hop fair a Marth approaching from the air as another option. The attacks will trade hits if you’re close enough and just clash if you’re far enough. You can setup a wall of Bairs as Marth can’t do anything to them unless he power shields then grabs or upB’s you out of it. The other option he has is to counter you. The goal is to get Marth as far as away as possible. Middle range is even as both characters have decent options.

Close Range:

Marth wins close range. His entire move set is close range. Get out of there ASAP. Marth will space his attacks and hit you with short hop Fairs. If you side step and he catches on, you will eat a dancing blade. It is possible to sidestep –Dsmash/grab hit if you are being pressured by dancing blade, but it is not always reliable. The shield can take one set of dancing blade, but another set will poke the shield and hit ROB. Jab him, throw him, do what you can to get away. Taking a defensive route and attempting to avoid him while making an escape will more than likely fail because he has superior running speed and air speed. You need to hurt him in order to make your escape.

Above the opponent:

Get down ASAP. ROB cannot defend underneath himself against Marth. If you are going for a platform, make sure it is out of Marth’s reach because he can Utilt you when you land on it. If trying to land on the ground, Bair the Marth when facing away, and Nair when facing towards. Sometimes, you will have to try and get to the nearest ledge and then get on the stage from there. When keeping Marth off the ground, attempt to get him offstage with a Bair. Be careful of getting countered. You can always bait the counter then punish accordingly. If Marth is too far away, then shoot a gyro where he will land so that it hits him if he attempts to air dodge into the ground, However Marth can counter or Fair/Bair/Dair the gyro away so it isn’t guaranteed.

Recovering:

If you recover high, attempt follow the tactics in the above section. When recovering low, go for the edge. Don’t recover in the middle as you will get Fsmashed, Fair’d, Bair’d, etc. When recovering low, watch out for Dair’s. Stall the recovery then rush with a Nair if you must. When Marth is recovering, you must attempt to gimp him whenever the opportunity is present. More than often, a Marth will recover through the bottom. Fast fall offstage and Fair if this happens. Watch out for getting stage spiked by the upB.. You can also attempt to Bair Marth recovering above the stage. Watch out for counters.

Edge Guarding:

Bair is a good edge guard against Marth, however he can jump off the ledge and immediately Fair which will take advantage of invincibility frames and hit you out of it. Planting a Gyro at the edge can also work. He can also jump off the ledge and counter your edge guard attempts so be sure to mix it up. When trying to get on stage against a Marth, you have to outsmart the Marth to make it back n stage. He can shield then upB you out of certain options, and he can Fsmash you out of others, and then he has Fair options, etc. you have to use everything at your disposal, plank a little with projectiles if you must, and try your best to make it back on stage. Marth is really good at edge guarding ROB

Stages

Battlefield is a very small stage and has platforms that make it somewhat difficult to land on since Marth can Utilt you off of 2 of them bad stage. Smashville allows you to land safely, and has enough room to camp good stage. Final Destination is The best neutral for being the longest neutral Still a great stage. Landing can be problematic and would result if you landing on the ledge. Lylat is small and all 3 platforms are low to the main platform. Bad stage. Castle siege stage 2 & stage 3 is good for ROB. Stage 1 can be good by getting Marth off stage and then gimping him. Halberd allowed for sharking; however the Marth can spike you out of it. The stage on deck is long enough to camp, the platform can be Utilted thru. Dellfino has safe platforms to land on, and several long portions of the stage, but nothing that overly benefits any of the characters. PS1 is a great stage for the edge, and being a long stage that has safe platforms depending on the transformation. YI will stop stage spikes, however the stage is fairly small and you cannot pick up the gyro which is necessary to approach at certain times when you need to use it to catch Marth off guard.

Frigate, and Jungle Japes are also great stages against Marth. Marth can get gimped on frigate due to lack of ledge, and Japes has a separation I terrain that benefits ROB for his camping ability.

Ratio

My ratio is dead even 50-50. Both characters have things they can do to each other, They have an answer to every option of the other.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Kind Dedede

Game Start:

Fire your projectiles, or charge your gyro. There are many ways to do this. Find which ones work the best for you. Make sure to mix it up every match.

Long Range:

Camp DDD. You win Long range because you can out camp DDD. This is where you want to be for this Matchup. DDD can try and jump to an altitude where his projectiles will reach you. Stay under a platform, or deal with the projectile accordingly. The biggest threat is the Gordo (which will be easy to avoid at this range.

Middle Range:

Spam carefully at this range. Like many other matchups, you must hit DDD away and then run. To be able to hit DDD away, you must engage in close range combat which will be very bad because it is heavily in DDD’s favor. DDD’s may attempt to power shield everything you throw at them in an attempt to approach. You can rush the DDD, grab them, and then Dthrow and then precede to combo him. He is heavy, big, and slow, this makes the perfect combo food as Dthrow to Uair will more than often always connect, and if not, you can reach him with a Fair. This is simply a mind game and if you lose it, you will get grabbed. Ftilting a DDD can be dangerous because if he power shields the Ftilt, he gets a free grab, which is where we don’t want to be, ever. You can Bair him also, but that can also get power shielded and then grabbed. Fair is another option; however I find it far too easy to for the DDD to punish because if it is shielded, even without a power shield, DDD can shield grab you out of it. Another option is to simply hover and run away. DDD is slow on the ground and in the air, and therefore this is a viable option. DDD can also Ftilt us as it out ranges any melee attack we have. DDD wins Medium range as the options we have against him are very poor.

Close Range:

GTFO ASAP. This is bad, REAL BAD! Do what you can to get away. Run, attack, anything. Don’t sidestep in front of DDD because it’s a free grab. I don’t know how many ways I can say ESCAPE!

Above the opponent:

DDD can come after us with Uairs and Bairs (from baiting our air dodge with his multiple jumps). Get down in any way possible. You are faster than him, use that to your advantage and get down ASAP. If DDD is above you (sometimes he will go above you to avoid the angles of your spam) chase him and Uair. Any time you can land a Uair in this matchup will really help because it does a lot of damage. His Bair beats our Fair and his Dair beats our Uair, so watch out for that. If he is attempting to land, Bair him as he lands because he can’t air dodge into the ground due to the lasting hit box of the Bair.

Recovering:

DDD can edge guard ROB REALLY WELL. Fire projectiles when you are far away. His Bairs and multiple jumps will be what keeps us off the stage. He can Bair us a couple of times the turn around and fair for the kill, or he can use a fresh Bair against us. It beats the Fair, will trade hits in the best case scenario, attempt to avoid the DDD. Stall the robo burner and then rush with a Nair when recovering low, or recover high and attempt to get down using tactics from the above section. Don’t come from the side, he can hit us with several things. When edge guarding DDD, Fair him as many times as possible, the reverse the upB and try to land a Bair. Bair his upB as many times as you can. The fresher, the better. Gimping DDD is not an easy task, but it is possible, so try and gimp him as hard as you can, and keep up the edge guarding. This will be damage you will really need.

Edge Guarding:

When DDD edge guards us, watch out when u try and double jump and fair him. If you’re at high percents, he can utilt you out of shield and you will die. He can Dair and Bair us also, and if we plank too much, he can run off and Bair, so that’s something to keep in mind. Planking the DDD with projectiles is something that must be done to get some damage, but do not abuse it. When getting back on stage, be careful where you land because you can get grabbed. To edge guard DDD, Bair and use your gyro. Nair can also help to get them off the ledge. Trying to Bair a DDD that’s attempting to plank is a gamble because if you miss, it puts you in a bad position. It is fairly easy to edge guard DDD. It is a disadvantaged position for him and he must outsmart you to get back on.

Stages

Final Destination can be bad because there are no platforms and it’s a long stage. Even though it supports camping, DDD can approach from the air and fire projectiles at you to counter camp, and there is no platform to camp under, making it rather difficult to keep your position, and difficult to camp him. The long stage supports his chain grab as the longer it is, the more grabs he can get off you. Battlefield has platforms you can camp under and safe places to land when you’re recovering from off stage. The recovery options the platforms offer benefit ROB more than DDD because DDD has landing lag from his upB and this will set up to an easy Uair/Usmash which is necessary to kill DDD or rack up damage on him. You can camp under the platform, forcing DDD to use a grounded approach which is much easier to stop since he has fewer options. Yoshi’s is good for the uneven surface allowing you to plant your gyro in strategic locations on the stage so that it messes up his chain grab. Other than that, the stage is small, and you may want to use the gyro yourself for glide toss shenanigans so Yoshi’s can be Bad. Lylat is far too small, and has an uneven surface, and recovering on the platforms can be really dangerous. Its not a good stage. Halberd allows you to shark, and allows you to camp on the deck of the ship. Halberd overall benefits DDD because of the low ceiling supporting his Utilt kills. Castle siege is a really bad stage. Section one is really small, section too has no walkoff, and section 3 has no platforms and an uneven surface. You definitely do not want to be here. Delfino is also bead because of walkoffs and walls that support DDD’chain grab. You can shark on the main area, but sharking in general may not be that effective, and there is too much to avoid too call this a good ROB stage. Pokémon Stadium 1 is a really good stage for being long and having platforms. Watch out for fire, rock, and water transformations as you can eat a lot of damage from the walls (and windmill) when you are in the chain grab. Smashville is a decent stage. The moving platform helps recovery and getting back on stage. Watch out for Rainbow cruise, and CP DDD to Battlefield, and Pokemon Stadium.

Ratio

The Ratio for this Matchup is 40-60 ROB disadvantage because of the length of time it takes to kill DDD. DDD is superior at close and medium ranges, he can edge guard ROB well, and isn’t easy to gimp. The chain grab deals far too much damage, and he can kill us rather early.

Bees!

Smash Ace
DDD is fat and I hate him...Eh Play Pikachu or Diddy for that MU? That is what I am going to do. probably Pika because Pika cant get Chaingrabbed.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Pikachu

Game Start:

Long Range:

Long range is dead even imo. Pikachu is small and fast so he can dodge the projectiles that Rob shoots even though ROB can use his projectiles more frequently. The thunder shock can clash with ROB’s Gyro and stop it in its tracks, which allows Pikachu the opportunity to grab it and use it against ROB. Pikachu has a good glide toss to he can use some good follow ups such as Usmash, Nair, Fair, etc. Pikachu’s projectile is easy to stop by power shielding it; however they have many different ways to use it (short hop, full hop, double hop, on the ground, etc). Pikachu can go from long range to close range in the blink of an eye with quick attack cancel. If he Quick attacks towards you, hold up your shield so that you will not get hurt by it and you will not be hurt by any of its follow-ups. You can also punish quick attack attempts with most attacks because it has low priority, but you will have to predict it because it is a very fast move.

Middle Range:

Again, this is a dead even area. Pikachu has the speed to rush to close range or retreat to long range. ROB has the moves to stop all of Pikachu’s approaches. If Pikachu is coming from the ground, ROB can out range him with Ftilt/Dtilt, or out prioritize him with Nair/Bair. If Pikachu approaches from the air, he can use a thunderbolt and then follow it to help the approach. The Fair’s of both characters trade at best. Pikachu can out prioritize ROB’s fair with spacing. Pikachu has the speed to retreat to long range while ROB would be too slow. ROB must defend himself well in medium range. Like I said, ROB has all the tools he needs stop protect himself against Pikachu. The smarter person will win.

Close Range:

Pikachu wins close range. If Pikachu grabs at 0, he gets a free Usmash from a Fthrow. He has several Dthrow follow-ups which mainly consist of comboing ROB, and since ROB is big, he is combo food for Pikachu. Pikachu has jab pressure and which can lead to a trip, and the followup. If Pikachu Ftilts ROB’s Ftilt at maximum spacing, he can beat it. Best case scenario is that it clashes. Pikachu can do some really nasty things at close range. One thing ROB has going for him is that he can out range Pikachu’s grab range. Pikachu’s grab range is really small, so ROB can use this to his advantage. ROB also overall out ranges Pikachu. If Pikachu gets in, it’s going to hurt. Attack the Pikachu when you get the chance, but if you do suffer, attempt to escape to medium range and reassess from there.

Above the opponent:

Pikachu can Uair ROB many times before he even has the chance to Nair or Dair. Being above Pikachu is not safe. Attempt to land far enough away so that you can begin your counter attack. The goal is to land at medium range. Use high priority aerials to help stop the Pikachu if they attempt to stop you from landing. When below the Pikachu, Pikachu can quick attack or side B to safety, so there isn’t really much that ROB can do to stop him. ROB isn’t fast enough. Pikachu can juggle ROB better than ROB can jugle Pikachu.

Recovering:

ROB can keep a solid edge guard on Pikachu with laser, gyro, and high priority aerials. Pikachu’s sideB and quick attack have very ow priority, so beating them will be easy. Pikachu isn’t easy to gimp, but edge guarding him can rack up a lot of damage. Pikachu will attempt to edge guard ROB with thunder. ROB can just wait for the thunder to finish then proceed to recover. ROB even has the option to go through the thunder by reflecting it. There is no real need to worry about which angle is best to recover at, just try to get to the stage ASAP, but not so fast that you run into a thunder. ROB’s upB doesn’t allow him to air dodge so don’t overdo it. ROB can edge guard Pikachu better than Pikachu can edge guard ROB.

Edge Guarding:

Look out for thunder shock, Dtilt, Fsmash, Ftilt, Jab, thunder, Dair, and Fair. A Pikachu will use all these to score some damage on you while offstage. If you become too predictable with the planking, Pikachu can fall of and Nair to stage spike you. Plank with your projectiles and aerials as smart as you can. Being on the edge is a disadvantaged position for both characters, so you have to outsmart the other to make it back on. ROB can edge guard Pikachu really well, but Pikachu has a great way to make it back on the stage, which is quick attacking onto the stage. This is simply another option to look out for; it’s still a bad position for Pikachu to be in.

Stages

Final destination is good if you can out camp Pikachu. I personally would go to a smaller stage because of ROB being able to outrange, out prioritize, and get Pikachu off stage, which leads to the edge guarding, and Pikachu can edge guard better than ROB. Battlefield is ideal for this. The platforms stop thunder, but make quick attack cancel much better, so Pikachu can be a tad bit more annoying on this stage if you don’t know how to handle him. Smashville is fairly neutral. Yoshi’s doesn’t overly benefit either of them. Small stage so ROB can get to edge guarding faster, but with inclining slopes, the Pikachu can Fthrow to Usmash more often at low percents. Lylat is also rather neutral for being a small stage with uneven surfaces. Halberd can somewhat benefit Pikachu for vertical Kills with the Usmash & thunder, but ROB can shark, and ROB still lives longer than Pikachu on this stage. Delfino depends on which player can adapt faster than the other. Neither character is screwed by the change in stage. Castle siege is Good for ROB for being small on stage 1, statues on stage 2 to stop thunderbolts, thus resulting in a long range win for ROB, yet stage 3 is in favor of Pikachu for uneven surface, and being a long stage with no platforms. Pokemon stadium is rather even because there are platforms to retreat to of ROB can’t handle the camping pressure from Pikachu. The stage changes don’t necessarily screw the other character. Brinstar will be great for ROB since Fthrow follow ups are ruined due to the layout of the stage. Edge guarding can happen rather fast. Rob can shark. Pikachu’s close range game is kinda ruined also because of the stage. Rainbow cruise is bad due to the fact that it is a moving stage and Pikachu has better mobility than ROB, therefore he can get places faster and punish accordingly. Frigate is good because it helps ROB edge guard Pikachu due to there not being a ledge at one part.

Ratio

This matchup is 50-50 dead even imo. Pikachu and ROB can take care of themselves at medium range and long range. Pikachu can juggle and combo better than ROB, and Pikachu wins close range. ROB has superior edge guarding against Pikachu and has all the tools he needs to keep Pikachu out of close range.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Very nice reading Tin Man, it's going to help many!

Bees!

Smash Ace
Thats all for now, thanks for the spam guys

I'll make one on Wario as soon as I play some on Wifi to refresh the matchup.
We got a good Wario here in Colorado. I play him all the time. In fact I know quite a bit about that MU. When you guys discuss Wario shoot me a PM I would love to weigh in on that

Top Bottom