• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Silly Kyle Video Archive and Critique Thread

Nicole

Smash Champion
I watched the first vid against Forward that Metatitian posted.

You play the Mk matchup pretty correctly Kyle, and that's good to see, because alot of Peaches still don't do it quite right. But you stick to the ground and keep at those turnips, and that's the right way to do it.

Anyways, first I guess I'll critique the MK, because how the MK plays allows Peach to win or lose. This is not to say that I don't think Peach can win against a properly playing MK, because she still can, but when they do things wrong, you've gotta take full advantage. First off, Forward tornado-ed about twice the whole match. I know Peach can do good things to tornado, but Mk can also pop her up in the air with tornado and just absolutely destroy her air game with it as well. Tornado is good (not great) against Peach, and your buddy wasn't using it. If you play M2K, I can pretty much guarantee he's gonna be using tornado. Another thing Forward didn't do was shuttle loop you in the air. That move is brutal when used properly. Typically MK does it after a couple Uairs or a Fair at lowish percents - it hits you offstage where MK wants you and avoiding him there is much tougher than onstage. The last thing Forward didn't do was fullhop Fair. This shuts Peach's approaches down entirely - but I don't think that many MK's know about it yet (M2K does for sure). Otherwise, Forward is a good MK.

Onto you though. You threw out alot of moves when Forward was nowhere near you (particularly Fsmash and Dtilt). I don't know if that was a huge problem during the match, but just doing moves against MK isn't a great idea. If he sees you doing moves, he can just run up and shield one, and UpB OOS. Or he can just tornado over to you (if you're not doing Fsmash, or even if you are, he can bait you into letting go before you'd actuallly hit him). Also, don't float high above him EVER, even if you have a turnip. That's just asking for him to come **** you. You were pretty good about this most of the match but you did it every now and then, and Forward simply didn't take advantage. If you're high up, your only priority is to get down to the stage and avoid MK while doing so. You're also still a BIT too aggro against MK when he's at kill percent. You take alot of damage trying to kill him. This matchup is all about Peach taking minimal damage and trying to stay alive as long as the MK. Since Peach can't kill him, and he can kill her rather well if he gets her where he wants her (which isn't that hard for him), you absolutely cannot come back on him, so you have to make sure you never get too far behind.

That's about all I got, good luck at your big tournament this weekend! :bee:

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Thanks Nicole, I really appreciate the advice!!

The funny thing about Forward is that he doesn't play Brawl very often... however since he moved to Phoenix he will probably be playing all the time. Forward is a renowned Melee veteran who was considered at one time to be top 10 in the country. His Melee skills definitely transferred over to Brawl quite easily and coupled with playing MK, makes him deadly.

I noticed after watching that I went way too aggro against him. I also felt that a lot of the time I was just being outplayed and read. I think I was being too telegraphed and not thinking smart the whole time. I will say that I can play the MK matchup pretty well, it really depends on my consistency as a player, which is hard, especially with Peach.

I'm actually pretty good at punishing/defending myself against tornado. Many times I have been able to nair out of it, or just shield and punish.

Up b out of shield use to be a problem for me but I've learned to punish it too.

What I really need to work on is my ground game vs MK... I use a lot of turnips but I notice myself getting grabbed a lot on the ground. Usually I don't get grabbed that often, but since I'm grounded a lot during the MK match, it happens more frequently. Fighting MK on the ground is hard... but it's not very fun to bring him to the air either!! Haha.

Hopefully I can review my mistakes and practice hard this week before M2K comes down. I want to get videos recorded of me vs. him. Can't wait!! :)

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Kyle your playstyle vs MK makes me so mad, lol! I'll give you some help when I get the chance. You need to play more safe especially if you want to beat M2K. I've played him w/ my Peach & learned a lot.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Any advice would be appreciated!!!

I'm so fortunate to improve on a week to week basis and it's exciting to see where my Peach will be a month from now.

Honestly, looking back at my videos from awhile back and now amazes me.

The thing about fighting Forward's MK vs any other MK is that he knows my style pretty well. On top of that, he is one of the best smashers I've ever played in my life and I would guarantee that many of you would have a hard time against him.

Despite that, I made a lot of silly mistakes and combing them out, analyzing what I did and should do, will really help me in the long run. It's kinda hard looking back at videos you lose in, but I feel it's a humbling experience and it helps me look at my bad habits.

Something I also have problems with is autocanceling my Fair and then just shielding right after. Sometimes there are situations where that works... but I feel like I'm mostly doing it out of fear instead of doing it to be smart.

I also throw out moves a lot... could probably cut back on that. I also pull turnips at inappropriate times. One of my main problems and Nicole pointed it out, was that I was being too aggressive when I went in for the kill and took too much damage. Something that Gimpyfish said about Peach in Brawl is that she shouldn't force the kill, and just let it come naturally. That's something I've been trying to work on.

Lol, on a side note, there is a reason why I went "green" Peach for some of my matches (I switched back to pink because it's my favorite dress color and I was wearing a pink shirt lol)

Nicole

Smash Champion
actually, what you said about being grabbed is kind of a necessary evil against mk. against mk, you can shield, or roll, or spotdodge. the last two are terrible options. so you have to shield. and you'll get grabbed, but it's better than getting hit with a charged dsmash or a shuttle loop.

i'm jealous though, i can't play as "green" peach at all. i'm scared to go off the ledge...and just really slow and dumb. :psycho:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Ok, I watched the 1st video of you as green Peach on SV. Your Peach is still very good, but I'll see if I can point out some habits. I agree w/ Nicole because the MK you play and the knowledge of the Peach make/break the matchup. It's more so than other matchups for Peach.

*Don't Float-Dair approach! They can dash-shield approach and it's very bad vs MK if they know that they can punish it w/ a nair/up-b OOS.

*Try not to attack MK's shield- he can punish her hard OOS

*Don't randomly space full hop nairs. The lag is bad, and MK's will more than likely tornado you or try to aerial you out of your attacks/airdodges.

*@1.45-after you momentum canceled, you could have side-b'd to gain some distance so you would have a chance to recover onstage(as long as the MK isn't nearby). It's better than risking a gimp offstage.

*@2.05-you pulled a turnip but threw it straight into MK's glide attack. Instead, just keep it so you can punish OOS. I saw this in a couple instances, so make sure that you just don't toss the turnips away randomly if you don't have to.

*Your turnip pressure off-stage was good. The Nair OOS was also a surprise and interesting punisher.

*Keep in mind that Jab is her best OOS punisher vs MK if he spaces incorrectly. Even though it is not damaging, it restores her more punishing moves. Dash attack is her second best IMO if the MK spaces badly or attacks your shield. Its also good to punish his laggy moves. Oh, and make sure you check out his frame data: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=205614

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Kyle, I love your Peach @_@. What I liked the most is that you're not scared to deal some pressure on MK and you aren't timid or something at all. What I didn't really like was that you overused Fair, while other moves could have been better.

:053:

gantrain05

Smash Master
if i learned anything from playing Razors MK everyday is that its actually GOOD to bait tornado, as long as u have a turnip in your hand and you just aim your shield up, you can punish him every single time he uses it. FH Fair are good for MK against peach as well, but you CAN punish, its just a very small window, dash attack works well there. and yes, don't float Dair MK, if you are going to Dair just SH Dair, at least them you have a chance to shield poke with it and not get punished. and i guess, most of my kills come from OoS Nairs, mainly when MK is coming back from the ledge if they try to ledgehop Fair or Shuttle loop or even glide attack, OoS Nair will kill pretty well on the edge of the stage.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
Thanks guys!

Just to be more organized...

Pre-Devastation Videos

Round Robin:

Silly Kyle (#5) :peach: vs. HadesBlade (#7) :yoshi:
Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MLedZ84K_U
Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45935fzdXaA

Silly Kyle (#5) :peach: vs. Forward :metaknight:
Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIRDiLwsp3U
Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twf9pu91BN0

Silly Kyle (#5) :peach: vs. KiraFlax (#2) :pit: :rob:
Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgeOy17CGFg
Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msEtj3Wutw0

Top 4 Bracket:

Winner's Semis
-

Match 1: not recorded, but it was one stock. forgot what stage...
Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1RhsWkjd2M <--- I get slaughtered in this one... was kinda disheartened by how well Forward was playing, because generally I usually beat him when we fight.

Loser's Finals
-

Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-KKcdg_-Xk
Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v50wKEitnd0
Match 3: not recorded, but let's just say Forward got stomped pretty hard.
Match 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-fZ6WTgR5I <--- Forward gets stomped this match, and I get an early upsmash kill at the end too. It's very nice :)
Match 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDPSnlvldRo <--- I get timed out. What a ****er!!

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Gotta love the old Melee pros. They know exactly when to crack down and do **** the right way, even if they don't play this game as often. xD

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
It's true!! xD

I play both games, but lately Brawl has been my focus. Melee has helped me on a technical level, and Brawl has helped me on a mental level. <3

Metatitan

Smash Master
The problem is that if I was gonna choose eliminating the pan or fishing for turnips (since you can only do one at a time), I'd fish for turnips but the message is clear. Also with the throws, F Throw vs B Throw reaaaally doesn't matter toooo much but you wanna do your best to get them off stage.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Filtering your fsmash usually doesn't take long at all, so I'd recommend always doing that first. Securing your spacing abilities is usually a safer option then hoping to pull an item.

And agreed on the throws. You should always go for the positional advantage rather than 1% extra, haha. That's just if you're in the center of the stage or something.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Even then F throw is generally better, it's so fast that you can "shock combo" your opponent sometimes. And the only reason I don't see a point to F smash filtering is because there's no telling exactly how much you're going to use it, it's generally a move to use if they're coming in at a 45 degree angle and using it more than once wouldn't guarantee a non pan.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I like to keep F Throw fresh if I can because it can be used as a kill move at ridiculously high percents...which I find my opponents reaching more and more since I'm trying to become more and more campy :x

How do people record their videos? What exactly do they use and how do they do it? How much is the equipment? What do you actually need? I'm more interested in the nice quality ones - not ones where you can hear the background noise of me smashing my GC controller to death :p Videos like the ones that Silly Kyle has just put up are a perfect example of what I'm after
I'm fed up of having no decent videos of me playing even online - I'd like to show everyone that I do actually play Peach rather than think stuff over and type it out :p
Of course the problem arises in that Wi Fi videos...well, are on Wi Fi and taking videos offline...well, not trying to be modest or anything but I'd stomp my current offline competition if I was actually playing to the best of my ability...infact I wouldn't even need to do that :/

I need to get to tourneys so bad, seriously...

White-Peach

Smash Ace
I think it's hacked wii with unlimited (no time limit) replays. I think you just need a SD card, I could be wrong. There's definitely info in the forums about it.

Metatitan

Smash Master
I like to keep F Throw fresh if I can because it can be used as a kill move at ridiculously high percents...which I find my opponents reaching more and more since I'm trying to become more and more campy :x
At the point that F throw kills practically any move that's easier to land will kill. If you're able to grab them (most likely via shield grab or jab setup) then you'd probably be better off f tilting them for the kill.

hiROI

Smash Lord
I find that Peach's ftilt kills quite well. At 150, it can kill if you hit with the ******, but the leg part is weaker.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
yeah just friendly 1 dollar mms at our usual thursday smashfest. we kinda just returned the money at the end but i'll try to get moar stuff up.

edit: i kinda want these in the critique thread though but idc, critique, comment i guess

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
i've watched alot of videos and every one of you play Peach so slowly. :(

z00ted

They deleted all the brawl videos on livestream ;(

gantrain05

Smash Master
i play like a lunatic sometimes, and sometimes i won't throw out any moves for like 30 seconds lol, gotta throw people off gaurd right?

Roxas215

Smash Lord
I think my peach is pretty fast. I'm constantly moving. Lol why are my vids not on the op? No one else has tl vids and king toon was cosigned by jash. He also beat d.pch in tourney. I go even with kt now

z00ted

It wasn't faster than other peaches. Sorry.
Ya, I know, this video sucks, I played terribly here.
When I say "fast" I mean like constantly attacking your opponent, most of the Peach mains just sit back and camp with turnips... its boring.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Ya, I know, this video sucks, I played terribly here.
When I say "fast" I mean like constantly attacking your opponent, most of the Peach mains just sit back and camp with turnips... its boring.
I feel the same way. But I'm slowly learning(.thanks to getting my *** kicked due to being so aggressive) that peach needs to be played that way. Especially against chars like mk marth and Ddd. But take a look at my vids Dvd u cab see how. Aggressive I can be with peach

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Playing agressive is not always the way to go, but I do agree that Peaches should sometimes simply take the initiave of daring to hit their opponent. Actually, you don't even need to be agressive to do that. That's why I like for example Kyle's Peaches, he dares to do something and many times it works well because Peach has ******** frame data and properties. Same goes for Edrees, Kyon and Leon.

:052:

Top Bottom