• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Silly Kyle Video Archive and Critique Thread

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
New vid from a MM set this past weekend. :3

M@v (Falco) vs King Beef (Peach)
I like your style KB! You seem to be really good @ reacting to movement and punishing. I loved the last kill! I can't help but think that it needs just a tad bit more pressure, but I really think it's that your Peach is more precision based. Offstage turnip throws work better vs Falco than up-thrown, but that's just my opinion and it could be style based. I don't know if it's me or not, but I think your Peach just needs to instill a little bit of fear into your opponents, and you would be ****!

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Oooooo

*reads description*
D: What happened KB?

Have you tried DI'ing out of Falco's jab combo but towards and above him rather than away from him? Its not hard to do honestly, just DI/Smash DI diagonally up in his direction. You can get a free Bair if you do this :)

Also, Nair out of that chaingrab :p you missed a couple of Side B punishments as well :3

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
rick! it's easy to see the DI though so a lot of ppl just quit trying it xD

and also i think KB was trying to nair out but if the Falco times it right then he gets 3 frame guaranteed grabs on peach.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
rick! it's easy to see the DI though so a lot of ppl just quit trying it xD

and also i think KB was trying to nair out but if the Falco times it right then he gets 3 frame guaranteed grabs on peach.
Exclamation marks O.o did I do bad? D:

I know it is but the Falco presented the chance for KB to do that sooooo yea he could have got some Bairs in and if Falco stopped doing jab combos he could DI away afterwards if you get my drift

Oh cripes, he can actually slightly chaingrab Peach? I wasn't aware of that :S

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
KB. 4:24 = free usmash.

remember noob!

4:30 = free usmash also

<_<

yay for a tilde tag ~

yay peach
Yeah I see the first one, shame on me but he tricked me fair and square. :3

Can't really blame me for the second one though. He whiffs an u-smash on my shield but I'm not one to take a risk on my last stock at over 100%. If anything a dash attack would've been safe but no dice on an u-smash punish attempt lol. It's all good, I never liked the matchup so my Pika should help me alleviate that. If anything, they'll try to blind me with a different character if they know I use Pika and that's exactly what I want if I decide to stay Peach.

Battletanx_Commander

Smash Journeyman
I'm almost 100% sure that he is Battletanx_Commander...
Is it? Makes sense, I always loved BTC.
No that is not me. :V I have only had one set of me recorded at a tourney before.

Anyways some new videos against MikeKirby.

BTC (Peach) Vs. MikeKirby (Kirby) 1.1
BTC (Peach) Vs. MikeKirby (Kirby) 1.2
BTC (Peach) Vs. MikeKirby (Kirby) 1.3
BTC (Peach) Vs. MikeKirby (Kirby) 1.4
BTC (Peach) Vs. MikeKirby (Kirby) 1.5
BTC (Peach) Vs. MikeKirby (Kirby) 1.6

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
That guys Turnip use is excellent but he's not very careful about where he pulls them up :/
Not everyone is. In fact...if you're too worried about being too careful in a match, often times you'll end up being too passive in a situation you'd otherwise be able to deal some real damage in. I'm not saying to recklessly pull turnips, but sometimes the situation may be an appropriate one despite being relatively close to the opponent. It's all about keeping an open mind in most situations.

Nick Riddle playing an acclaimed "2008 playstyle" immediately comes to mind. Most people would not expect him to centralize his play the way he does because most, if not all, respectable ZSS players have been too caught up in changing their game around (too much to be frank) that they may have forgotten some of the core things that gives their character a chance to begin with.

I encountered the same type of situation myself, but I had caught on to that and ended my two month slump because of it. I've never felt so strong as a Peach player like I do now, and I'm ready to take my state by storm, and then the country if I can travel enough.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unrelated: I overcame my mental block against Blue Rogue and won the tournament I went to yesterday! I beat him in winners finals 3-1 then played him again in grand finals. We played the first set and he had me down 0-2 at first, then I rallied back to take three games in a row.

My previous problem was that he "culture shocked" me for a while by switching his playstyle to centralize around beating me to the punch with full hopped or short hopped fairs depending on if I went high or stayed low, so then I started to realize that even if he hits me with a fair at mid percents, the minimal knockback would result in a free nair retaliation for me if he didn't retreat afterward, so that was the first part of my conditioning on him. I would also low float to bait his full hopped fairs, and if he decided on approaching from above with a dair/bite attempt on my shield, I just nailed him with an u-tilt. If he anticipated the u-tilt and chose to airdodge to the ground, free grab or slap for me. He loves to nair OoS to most of my shield pressure from above so I baited that from him for either more punishment or shield pressure as he landed from it. I was just all over the place in a good way; my turnip use was spot on, my pressure game was as good as it's ever been, I made great reads, and I finally regained my confidence back as a Peach player. I needed this win, and so did our character. :)

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Not everyone is. In fact...if you're too worried about being too careful in a match, often times you'll end up being too passive in a situation you'd otherwise be able to deal some real damage in. I'm not saying to recklessly pull turnips, but sometimes the situation may be an appropriate one despite being relatively close to the opponent. It's all about keeping an open mind in most situations.

Nick Riddle playing an acclaimed "2008 playstyle" immediately comes to mind. Most people would not expect him to centralize his play the way he does because most, if not all, respectable ZSS players have been too caught up in changing their game around (too much to be frank) that they may have forgotten some of the core things that gives their character a chance to begin with.

I encountered the same type of situation myself, but I had caught on to that and ended my two month slump because of it. I've never felt so strong as a Peach player like I do now, and I'm ready to take my state by storm, and then the country if I can travel enough.
Erm
I'm all for keeping an open mind during the playstyle but pulling up Turnips when Marth is like, right next to you, is never a good idea. Ever
I get what you're saying about never taking risks and being too passive means you might miss out on a big chance of doing something game changing but that isn't the case with Turnips

Especially not when stuff like this, this and this happen

I hate to appear to be a negative douche pulling out all those things out of his vids and I'm very pleased for you that you're happy about Peach again (you've been a bit depressed for some time :x) but I disagree with you that pulling up Turnips close to your opponent can sometimes be good - its pretty much never good if you ask me. Imo, there's a difference between keeping an open mind and putting yourself in an extremely dangerous situation. Nick Riddle playing a 2008 style ZSS isn't like pulling up Turnips close to your opponents

I'm not bashing the guys Peach - I love his follow ups and technical ability but pulling up Turnips so close, heck even running towards your opponent slightly whilst doing it is screaming for punishment and its a bad habit. I'm not saying people are perfect (heck I get punished for my Turnip pulls every now and then) but pulling them so close to an opponent, especially someone like Marth...I just think its an extremely bad habit because pulling up a Turnip limits your options to one - stand there and take a hit. Not good if you ask me :p

Unrelated: I overcame my mental block against Blue Rogue and won the tournament I went to yesterday! I beat him in winners finals 3-1 then played him again in grand finals. We played the first set and he had me down 0-2 at first, then I rallied back to take three games in a row.

My previous problem was that he "culture shocked" me for a while by switching his playstyle to centralize around beating me to the punch with full hopped or short hopped fairs depending on if I went high or stayed low, so then I started to realize that even if he hits me with a fair at mid percents, the minimal knockback would result in a free nair retaliation for me if he didn't retreat afterward, so that was the first part of my conditioning on him. I would also low float to bait his full hopped fairs, and if he decided on approaching from above with a dair/bite attempt on my shield, I just nailed him with an u-tilt. If he anticipated the u-tilt and chose to airdodge to the ground, free grab or slap for me. He loves to nair OoS to most of my shield pressure from above so I baited that from him for either more punishment or shield pressure as he landed from it. I was just all over the place in a good way; my turnip use was spot on, my pressure game was as good as it's ever been, I made great reads, and I finally regained my confidence back as a Peach player. I needed this win, and so did our character. :)[/COLOR]
Woop woop glad to see your out of your slump :D Congrats on nailing that Wario KB :p Its good to hear about those mind games and its fantastic to hear you won the tourney! I play a Wario quite regularly and I can definitly relate to some of this stuff, you've really got to read Wario carefully or you'll get eaten...literally :x

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Well to each his own then Rick, but I do agree with you on never doing that vs a Marth, especially one on or close to MikeHAZE's level of play. Instant tipper. xD

And it's good to be a negative nancy sometimes since it can promote beneficial progress. I like the fact that you keep it real all the time, be it about Smash or non-Smash stuff. You're one of the people I respect the most on here. :3

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Well to each his own then Rick, but I do agree with you on never doing that vs a Marth, especially one on or close to MikeHAZE's level of play. Instant tipper. xD[color]

Well, we can agree to disagree :p

And it's good to be a negative nancy sometimes since it can promote beneficial progress. I like the fact that you keep it real all the time, be it about Smash or non-Smash stuff. You're one of the people I respect the most on here. :3
<3 <3 <3
I would be gay for you now if I was gay but I'm not
Oh wait I main Peach

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I heavily agree with Rick. There is absolutely nothing positive about pulling a turnip close to your opponent like that - and I mean definitively. Lucarios don't run in and start charging Aura Sphere, ROBs don't roll behind you to spin the gyro, and Peach doesn't pull turnips up close.

It's 29 frames of vulnerability. Plain and simple. Almost thirty dead frames where you cannot react or move (well, at least you people can't :p). Might as well purposefully miss a Peach Bomber at their feet (compare 29 frames to 33 frames).

The only positive I can see from doing that would be to continue momentum or pressure in certain situations. But even then, I find it unlikely that you NEED a turnip right there and then. Replace with nair or ftilt or whatever. And even then then, why would you "keep the pressure" by freezing for almost thirty frames?

Especially not when stuff like this, this and this happen
Hahahahahaha

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Even so, you can never say never. Brawl is a game directly related to what an opponent expects. If you've been trying to slaughter an opponent w/ a barrage of fairs, the least thing they might be expecting is a turnip pull. Of course it may not be good to pull them at point blank range, but mid distance is ok. Who knows, maybe you'll be in the right range to punish OOS w/ them or you punish them w/ a lucky bomb that you might not have pulled had you not taken a risk.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
I agree with you guys to an extent, but there are times when it works to pull a turnip close to someone lol. But most of the time you can get punished for that and to use it sparingly...

For example, on the last match against Forward in Loser's Finals when he was going to time me out, I tried pulling more turnips, hoping to get something good that could potentially blow him up or swing the percentage lead in my favor lol. I was like right above him and I pulled a turnip lolol and you don't want to do that against MK, but I did anyway :D

gantrain05

Smash Master
you guys don't wanna know how many games i've won by doing a turnip pull in an opponents face, and that turnip being a bomb, and us both 'sploding off screen, and me winning by .000001 seconds......its epic win lol.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I'm probably going to have alot of videos uploaded soon.

z00ted

hahah I KNOW I could NOT GIMP for my life that day!
I had two chances to beat Fliphop (person who kicked me out of the whole tournament) and I messed up again!

We're 1-1 now :(

Metatitan

Smash Master
Positives first. You've got a VERY good offensive game, you're able to get past camp most of the time and pressure well without being stupid around their shield (a lot of peach mains just Dair a shield without spacing out to avoid an OoS attack). You have that Excel Zero feel to your aggression which I like.

Negatives. You autopilot A LOT. You ALMOST ALWAYS DI'd into him and it allowed him to get some pretty cool comboes (bad for you, good for him). Whenever you got hit you would always Dair to momentum cancel and he'd get a free Bair/followup. You also tend to just throw out staple comboes (Dair->Uair->Utilt) that might not work all the time due to SDI instead of reading your opponents.

I also don't see how you see other Peach's as slow considering yours isn't faster but hey it's a pretty nice Peach IMO xD

z00ted

Thanks and yeah autopiloting and DI'ing are two of my worst fields, I've been trying to work on it alot lately.

Oh and that fast thing I was talking about.
I didn't really explain myself I meant like offensive game/defensive game not fast/slow.
Which you clearly pointed out in your first paragraph and I appreciate very much ^^.

Top Bottom