• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The story behind GameuniCON 2009 &John Keough Donations to save GU & pay winners UP!

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Jamie, I'll never forget the day you sold me my first ever pack of Sour Razzles. Every time I purchase them, I think of you and that really fun tournament. :3

</random sappiness>

Trying to get up to MM17, btw.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
What a horrible thing to happen to our community.

I hope all of you get paid in full.

Good luck.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Re-posting from AiB.

Bionic Sonic wrote at 10:07 PM on Sep 20, 2009 :
Solid Jake, my mother has run several conventions and here's her advice.

You have two cases here: one case with bad checks and money skimming is a criminal case and you need to take this information to the police or the DA for charges. The other case is a civil case, and you need to find a lawyer willing to work on contingency. That would enable you to get a judgment for a lean.

My mom also knows a lawyer up in Massachusetts (Rick Katze), I can get you two together and he can give advice, and/or take the case on contingency.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm sorry for all of you that got stuck in the middle of this. I hope it is resolved swiftly, and that the idiot responsible pays severely.

Prawn

Smash Master
Bull****

ADHD if you're going to court, I am as well, unless they pay us

I won well over 1000 dollars at this and this is just unfair in general
Oh ****.

they got a robot on theyre *****.

Smash Journeyman
It's so sad that this going to pretty much tarnish the ECRC forever as well as the rest of the SSB community. Hopefully, by some random chance, everything will get resolved eventually.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Good luck everyone going after this guy. He is ****ed if you go after him in court.

Hes already got, if charged?:
Grand Theft Auto
Theft
Armed robbery
Anything else?

Then you guys will add on fraud. Would he also get illegal possession of a firearm? Not too sure because of the 2nd amendment.

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
Thanks guys but a fund-raiser wouldn't be enough to save the store right now. The only people that I am worried about getting money at this point are the tournament winners. I'm hoping something will happen where we can get John to give them their money. If we can get it I would love to just have the issue between GU and Keoigh but we are limited in what we can do right now. I'm so sorry guys.

Allied

Smash Master
I don't see the humor. Would you mind pointing it out for me?

That sucks for everyone involved. I hope you guys get your money... eventually.

:034:
The humor is you're mad

anyway

really sucks and adhd your really going to court and lol @ m2k

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
This is why I host my own tournaments. So I don't get ****ed over or have to deal with **** unless it is MY FAULT.
>_> This was a convention dude, not a tournament. Huge difference. Shush yo' face.

Also, I plan on going to lots of Mass Madnesses, so like hell if GU is closing now that I'm finally within range of attendance! I'm all for this "fund raiser" idea.
-DD

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
definitely look into getting a lawyer to represent you OP

even if you cant afford to go to trail, at least get in touch with one and speak to one about what your legal options are

and if you can do it ASAP, the more time you waste is time that can be used in getting the problem fixed

Re-posting from AiB.
Bionic Sonic wrote at 10:07 PM on Sep 20, 2009 :
Solid Jake, my mother has run several conventions and here's her advice.

You have two cases here: one case with bad checks and money skimming is a criminal case and you need to take this information to the police or the DA for charges. The other case is a civil case, and you need to find a lawyer willing to work on contingency. That would enable you to get a judgment for a lean.

My mom also knows a lawyer up in Massachusetts (Rick Katze), I can get you two together and he can give advice, and/or take the case on contingency.

^^^^^^^^^^^ this right here

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
ill donate $150 no question to help save this place.. I honestly love it..
I don't have quite this much to drop, but I can drop something within that range...and I've never been there! I just want to start going!
T~T;;

And uhh...cut of the pot would work...maybe bump up entry fees? Both? Smasher Car wash? Lemonade Stand? All of the above?

I'm serious, too.
-DD

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Holy cow. Hope you can get that Lein down, if not just for getting everyone what they won, but also to kick that guy in the metaphorical crotch.

∫unk

Smash Master
Send this story to the media.

Try to get it national attention.

This **** can not be tolerated and can not happen so easily.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Id rather kick him in the literal crotch.

When I clicked on this thread, I was planning to jump on some kind of hate bandwagon so as to try and get back the wiimote I lost/left at this event.

But after seeing all of this, I see how incredibly petty that would have been. After seeing the full circumstances I feel terrible for all those that were jipped out of money. I just won a few bucks at a tourney today to buy a wiimote with, so trying to fit my insignificant squabbles in with the people that are having their lives rocked and shattered because of this event, would have been totally insensitive and wrong

I hope that the situation can work out to the best degree possible for everyone involved.

Except Keough. That guy can suck a ****.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
So sad that this happened. Here's wishing the best on all the legalities against this guy, and that everything will work out in the end. I thoroughly enjoyed myself at this event, and that it won't stop me from supporting any future events from the Mages.

Lovage

Smash Hero
christ, i never imagined something like this would happen to the smash community

edit: i understand you guys thought this guy was trustworthy and the convention was going to be your saving angel, but how can you trust this random dood with so much money

ch33s3

Smash Lord
I suggest all ECRC events offer a side tournament fundraiser to fix this. Split the pot between the winners and funding replacing the funds lost here. This is a load of crap. It really sucks that some douche got away with this and all of OUR money. He'll be in jail a long while, at least.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
i think our community has a well known phrase that has a double meaning for this specific event

NO JOHNS

seriously that dude is effed up.

D1

Banned via Administration
LOL after that comment I literally started thinkin anyone w/ the name John that hosts a tourney is doneskies.

*looks @ Alex Strife, Bum, and other Johns out there*

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Litigation is going to be hard if Keough doesn't have the money in the first place,
I doubt there isn't more to this, like this guy having debts up to his eyeballs himself...

I hope everyone the best.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
edit: i understand you guys thought this guy was trustworthy and the convention was going to be your saving angel, but how can you trust this random dood with so much money
It's not some random dude. He owns a gaming corporation and operated Game Unicon. He had 8 bands into this, directly coordinated with "30+" people for the "30+" tournaments, and pulled off the massive advertising required for this to get decent attention on the first go. He financially coordinated with *tons* of people on this.

When that much **** is set up, it better go through correctly, or else the 'coordinater' gets some judicial smackdown. That's what happened in this case. I mean, he no doubt ****ed a ton of people over, but when you compare individuals involved, he's probably the worst ****ed.

The 'ideal' situation when trying to pull one of these ****fests is that you **** a bunch of people over while not getting ****ed yourself, and in the process you get fo srs profit. See, ****ing people is harder when there are more people involved, which is why most people wouldn't dare do it. It seems like he went into this thinking he could keep ****ing others without getting ****ed, and that is why we suffer.

I think the goal right now is to try to get less ****ed than before and make sure that this guy keeps getting ****ed.

i think our community has a well known phrase that has a double meaning for this specific event

NO JOHNS
Speaking of which, this can only serve as a reinforcement to the fact that papa johns is the only acceptable john in the smash community.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
yo...i just searched it and the memories all came back...

this is absolute bull**** compared to that though, your right

Top Bottom