• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The story behind GameuniCON 2009 &John Keough Donations to save GU & pay winners UP!

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
You guys have my support. If you want me to sell my body and donate the proceeds, just let me know. :D

Also, I got a weird vibe from that guy when I talked to him about those XS energy drinks. I know where they come from and his purpose in selling them and he told me blatant lies, even after I made it aware that I have a pretty extensive knowledge of the MLM that he was involved with.

Cloud XV

Smash Cadet
Anyone have any ideas for a fundraiser?

Why not just have a big Tourney and have the proceedings go to GU (Just throwing ideas out there)

I hope this situation gets resolved ASAP, its a terrible mess.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
This is really depressing. No one deserves this.

I hope everything gets figured out for the best. :(

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
ohhhh how i wish i had fladre scarlet's powers now......

i cant believe that GU is dying. all cause this pathetic douchbag.... Jamie, im so sorry for you, and everyone's loses... what i lost at this con cant even compare to what you guys lost. i pray with all my heart that GU stays alive

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
Id rather kick him in the literal crotch.

When I clicked on this thread, I was planning to jump on some kind of hate bandwagon so as to try and get back the wiimote I lost/left at this event.

But after seeing all of this, I see how incredibly petty that would have been. After seeing the full circumstances I feel terrible for all those that were jipped out of money. I just won a few bucks at a tourney today to buy a wiimote with, so trying to fit my insignificant squabbles in with the people that are having their lives rocked and shattered because of this event, would have been totally insensitive and wrong

I hope that the situation can work out to the best degree possible for everyone involved.

Except Keough. That guy can suck a ****.
Dude, next time you are at GU I will give you a replacement wiimote no problem. Just PM me.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
situation is definitely ****ty and I feel awful for the people who got really hurt on this. I'ma just tear up my check for $15 or w/e for Melee doubles.

I REALLY hope that this gets resolved somehow because smashers dropping $55 a piece on this tourney ($80 if they played both games) and not seeing a penny back in prize money would be devastating.

Skler

Smash Master
That's just ****ing insane.

I wish the best of luck to Jamie as he and his friends got screwed the most from this scam.

I'll attend any events that attempt to raise money for GU.

Aesir

Smash Master
I bought a shirt from GU a while ago.....

Yeah doesn't help just saying.

Jake you should just bring this to the authorities they'll handle the criminal charges, so he'll go to jail, but you really need to take civil action as well because you probably won't be awarded any funds unless you do.

Unfortunately this is a MA state law case and I have no idea what MA laws are like. =\

Aesir

Smash Master
I think you missed the point, every stat has different tort laws, tort is different from criminal law. So while his actions are criminal if you guys want monetary damages you need to know MA state laws before you go in with a tort case.

Also about game unicon and ****, I say the next tourney we should just let GU take a large portion of the pot so they can keep their store a float.

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
christ, i never imagined something like this would happen to the smash community

edit: i understand you guys thought this guy was trustworthy and the convention was going to be your saving angel, but how can you trust this random dood with so much money
He came to the store for 4-6 months doing his promoting with XS Energy Drinks. It's crazy how nice he seemed in person as well. After working with him for about 2 months on the convention things started to seem a little "off" with him but we just thought he was getting cocky because the event was shaping up to be awesome. He friggin USED OUR NAME and had the balls to say to me last week that I have "no rights to the name GameUniCon whatsoever"... I was like "Dude it's just Game Universe Convention shortened" what a prick.

Litigation is going to be hard if Keough doesn't have the money in the first place,
I doubt there isn't more to this, like this guy having debts up to his eyeballs himself...

I hope everyone the best.
This is what the lawyer we talked to told us as well.... however, I am working on a solution.

It's not some random dude. He owns a gaming corporation and operated Game Unicon. He had 8 bands into this, directly coordinated with "30+" people for the "30+" tournaments, and pulled off the massive advertising required for this to get decent attention on the first go. He financially coordinated with *tons* of people on this.

When that much **** is set up, it better go through correctly, or else the 'coordinater' gets some judicial smackdown. That's what happened in this case. I mean, he no doubt ****ed a ton of people over, but when you compare individuals involved, he's probably the worst ****ed.

The 'ideal' situation when trying to pull one of these ****fests is that you **** a bunch of people over while not getting ****ed yourself, and in the process you get fo srs profit. See, ****ing people is harder when there are more people involved, which is why most people wouldn't dare do it. It seems like he went into this thinking he could keep ****ing others without getting ****ed, and that is why we suffer.

I think the goal right now is to try to get less ****ed than before and make sure that this guy keeps getting ****ed.
This is exactly right. However Keough did $#!+ to organize the tournaments. I found all of the people like The Mages, Dan, Ben etc to run all the tournaments pro level and perfect. And we had ZERO complaints about how everything ran at the event for tournaments. However all the stuff he said he would come up with fell through... hmmmm....

You guys have my support. If you want me to sell my body and donate the proceeds, just let me know. :D

Also, I got a weird vibe from that guy when I talked to him about those XS energy drinks. I know where they come from and his purpose in selling them and he told me blatant lies, even after I made it aware that I have a pretty extensive knowledge of the MLM that he was involved with.
At one point two months out from the convention he told me we had 1,000 people pre paid. I said this was mathematically impossible. He got SO mad at me and started with "Are you calling me a lair? Because I am not a liar. If you call me a liar again I will quit this convention and walk away right now." Seriously that happened. So I basically had to shut up whenever he was lying to my face and Dave and I knew he was lying. HOWEVER we NEVER had any idea that he would go as far as more than half of the things he promised us didn't come true. We had an idea that he didn't put the money in he said he would but he had told us bills had been paid in full that hadn't been paid and it caused us to think that because of sponsors, and our opinion of the real attendance number etc.... we would be profiting in the end.

Why not just have a big Tourney and have the proceedings go to GU (Just throwing ideas out there)

I really really appreciate this but the only fund raiser I would want to hold would be for the winners of the tournaments. We are at a point financially that we either HAVE to sell the store or close. There's no way around it. We've had some investors interested but I don't want to get my hopes up until something is real.

Seriously I'm at the point where if ADHD Mew2King and all the other guys get paid, and I have to get another job I'm ok with that.

The only reason this stuff has not been posted before yesterday is because we were told by John that he had got loans to pay back all the bills including and as a priority the tournament winners. Jake and I discussed the situation and thought it would be best for this for us to go public and best honest.

I guess those loans involved a gun, kidnapping, resisting arrest and threatening to kill himself.... I don't think anyone wants to get paid that way. Fn pychopath.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Jake do it all yourself baby, TOing is a sacred charge, **** non-smashers they don't care about us. You're a good dude I don't think anyone blames you. There was def something fishy goin on tho, I was pissed from the start not bc of the money but idk.. Just felt wrong.

SuperFudgeChoco

Smash Apprentice
Wow guys this is just terrible. I worked registration staff for this con and really enjoyed myself (as I'm sure many others did) gaming all day and night, hanging with Brentalfloss and the Kode, and everyone just generally being awesome. This was the first "big" gaming event I've ever gone to and got to meet some really cool people and see some high level gaming I never thought possible. It is a travesty that all the good times had at this convention are undermined by John's actions. Not only did he ruin these times, but the times to follow for the important players who worked so hard and some traveled so far just to get completely screwed over. While planning an eventual video game convention myself (don't worry I've got the backing of some of the greatest con staff on the east coast backing me, this won't be a bust) it frightens me that someone who is such a liar can convince everyone single person at that convention that everything was fine and everyone would get their money. It also makes things harder for someone looking to run another gaming convention in the NE area because it will be hard to get anyone there to come, just based on how this convention operated. And honestly I wouldn't blame anyone for being weary of going to another gaming convention in the area either.

Jamie (btw this is Ed from Another Anime Con) I am truly saddened by the news of selling/closing GU. Believe me when I say that I would o anything to prevent GU from closing. Everyone at the store are the most coolest people to hang out with. I swear if this Wednesday my numbers are picked (I play Powerball every Wed =P) that I would buy GU and give you and Dave complete control over it. I wish for the best for you, Dave, and everyone else involved with GU.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
I think we all can learn a couple things:
-don't go into an investment costing tens of thousands of dollars with someone you don't trust
-always demand receipts

oh also
-don't tie up old ladies and then jump in rivers

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
Wow guys this is just terrible. I worked registration staff for this con and really enjoyed myself (as I'm sure many others did) gaming all day and night, hanging with Brentalfloss and the Kode, and everyone just generally being awesome. This was the first "big" gaming event I've ever gone to and got to meet some really cool people and see some high level gaming I never thought possible. It is a travesty that all the good times had at this convention are undermined by John's actions. Not only did he ruin these times, but the times to follow for the important players who worked so hard and some traveled so far just to get completely screwed over. While planning an eventual video game convention myself (don't worry I've got the backing of some of the greatest con staff on the east coast backing me, this won't be a bust) it frightens me that someone who is such a liar can convince everyone single person at that convention that everything was fine and everyone would get their money. It also makes things harder for someone looking to run another gaming convention in the NE area because it will be hard to get anyone there to come, just based on how this convention operated. And honestly I wouldn't blame anyone for being weary of going to another gaming convention in the area either.

Jamie (btw this is Ed from Another Anime Con) I am truly saddened by the news of selling/closing GU. Believe me when I say that I would o anything to prevent GU from closing. Everyone at the store are the most coolest people to hang out with. I swear if this Wednesday my numbers are picked (I play Powerball every Wed =P) that I would buy GU and give you and Dave complete control over it. I wish for the best for you, Dave, and everyone else involved with GU.
Ed you and Lisa were awesome. Thank you so much for everything!

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero

This is a good idea.
I like it.
If we had one, would you come?
The next Mass Madness is coming up and if we can get it big enough maybe giving the pot to GU could help them out a bit.

KREVA

Smash Cadet
I actually thought that story was pretty funny. Not so much of a pro grifter but the way he went out made me lulz. He stole money from video gamers, beat up some woman, took her car, went driving into another state.

He should've went for the high score.

John Keough

Smash Rookie
The story behind GameuniCON 09...

GameUnicon was a convention in Marlborough MA based around competitve Video Game Tournaments, video game themed bands, and other gamer related things. Though the smash turnout for the convention wasn't bad overall the convention failed miserably. Primarily due to poor financing, poor advertising, and the owner, John Keough.

John Keough is a compulsive liar. Prior to the event he told us we had over 300 players signed up for Brawl Singles, 100 TV's ready for use strictly for brawl, hotel being paid off, and god konws how many other lies. Naturally with all of these being false, things were bound to go sour. On Sunday of the convention i receive a phone call and am asked to come to the meeting room, i am then briefed on the situation and told that they do not have the money to pay the winners of the rest of the tournaments (brawl, melee, SFIV, and 2 others i believe..) But he also assures me that he will be able to get the money from his company "Keough Enterprises" within 3 weeks.

Now here we are a few weeks later, and players such as ADHD start informing me that their checks have bounced. ADHD was supposed to receive $1400, Swiftbass also had a check bounce, Lain was supposed to get paid $353 but his check (written for $300) cleared which is still absurd. I have also confirmed that Justin Wong has not been paid, along with many other members of Empire Arcadia.. It just seems to be our luck when working with other people to either get robbed, or shafted.. conned.. or something of that manner..

Friday September 19th, 2009 John Keough was arrested:

"A home invasion in Rehoboth, MA, on Friday afternoon ends in an hours-long standoff with police in Pawtucket, RI.

John Keough of Malden, MA, is accused of breaking into a home in Rehoboth, tying up the woman inside, and taking off with her car. Authorities chased Keough through Rehoboth and Seekonk, MA, and East Providence and Pawtucket, RI, until Keough ditched the car and jumped into a river in Slater Park in Pawtucket.

He then held police at bay, threatening to shoot himself with the gun used in the home invasion. Police negotiators were able to convince Keough to give himself up, and he was taken into custody. "

Source / video: http://www.abc6.com/news/59777597.html

From what i understand John Keough owes:

• Hotel payment: 49,000
  • Prize Money: 10,000+
  • Game Universe: 20,000
  • Band Fee's: ????
  • None of the staff was paid (including us)

Again i really apologize for all who are involved, what i need is for people to help out with looking up the legalities, but i was thinking about putting a Lien on his house, car, or business if at all possible.. Which would mean that I may be able to take a copy of all the bounced checks, go to the police, and put that on his property, preventing the house from being sold or anything without paying the Lien prior. That could mean that i wont be able to get people their money for a few years.. but i am not entirely sure.

The other potential event is that, the lan center who was hurt more than anyone in this incident "Game Universe" is talking about selling their store. They're more or less going out of business due to John's lies, and they're saying if they can get enough money for their store they will happily pay off the winners, because they feel outright awful about all of this. They had 0 ownership rights, they were in a very similar boat to me, being considered a host / sponsor.

I will keep this updated on the status of John, and i will also use this as a list of players who had their checks bounce, and the $ amount that was bounced. So please spread the word to the players about this, and again i am terribly sorry about this. As a TO i will never again run an event with someone above me, where i have no control over the funds. Once $1000 was robbed from my tournament, and now this.. I've really had enough, and am capable of doing this on my own. I really hope i haven't lost respect from anyone due to this, and i will be doing whatever i can to get this resolved!
lol

U MAD!?

nevershootme

Smash Master
what does MA do about the laws concerning the distribution of cash prizes of such high amounts for a large video game tournament, do they consider it as gambling at all? do you guys have some sort of waiver about it or just not gonna present the cash distribution in court unless it's under Keough's so called company that was handling the money.

this just a small tad of concern outside of the other charges presented and it's just in case the court sees that you guys were doing some tournament and random gambling laws would be brought up against it

GameClucks

Smash Journeyman
So as a LAN Center owner and a TO this is very disturbing.
I am also a Quixtar distributor as well, which Keough was also. So that also pisses me off, because dirt bags like this guy screw me in all facets of my life and makes doing what I do honestly and truthfully very hard.

This is a TERRIBLE thing to have happen.

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
what does MA do about the laws concerning the distribution of cash prizes of such high amounts for a large video game tournament, do they consider it as gambling at all? do you guys have some sort of waiver about it or just not gonna present the cash distribution in court unless it's under Keough's so called company that was handling the money.

this just a small tad of concern outside of the other charges presented and it's just in case the court sees that you guys were doing some tournament and random gambling laws would be brought up against it
John supposedly got a limited gambling license for this event. He told tons of people. BUT I don't believe ANYTHING he said.

He told us we had a permit to play loud music til 1am and our DJ got shut down....

He was in charge of checking up on this stuff for us. (Keep in mind in hindsight everything is much clearer)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
My dad always says make sure everything is in writing, that you have copies of everything, and that you have receipts (and copies) of everything.

I've done this all my life, and it has served me well. I would recommend everyone do it. Never, ever take someone at their word. My dad always says to trust and verify - verifying being key.

I'm saddened to hear about what happened with this event. I remember thinking about what a success it was, how it seemed to be well ran, how I didn't hear any complaints. It looks like everything GU did made the actual event the success that it was.

Best of luck to the winners and to Game Unicon.

Lets nail this scumbag John.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
This is a good idea.
I like it.
If we had one, would you come?
The next Mass Madness is coming up and if we can get it big enough maybe giving the pot to GU could help them out a bit.
I really don't think anyone attending the next MM would mind giving all the proceeds to GU...cause like...they're so cool T~T;;

I know I don't care who gets my money after I'm eliminated...and we should do a Brawl+ tournament at MM too, since Brawl+ people like to come from everywhere in hordes.

-DD

shanus

Smash Hero
I'm fine with doing a total charity event tourney as well, someone should make one.

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
I am without a doubt willing to go to this tournament if it happens, ill look for a RI venue if i can host an outside charity event for it too

Top Bottom