• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The story behind GameuniCON 2009 &John Keough Donations to save GU & pay winners UP!

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
GG John. You were doin so good until you forgot to DI away from that **** neighbor. No wavedash? ****...Maybe next time dude.

Neighbors too good.

Sucks for everyone. Not just the people who lost money. Charity tourney would be awesome.

noodles

Smash Champion
Cant wavedash, he was playing brawl. I mean he stalled for more than 2 hours and he was able to swim >_>.

Spife

Smash Master
Cant wavedash, he was playing brawl. I mean he stalled for more than 2 hours and he was able to swim >_>.
Win.

I know we'd have to raise a lot of money to save GU and it's probably impossible, but has anyone considered opening a pay pal account for donations? I'm sure if we got the right level/kind of media attention we might be able to do something. I don't think a tournament or two is enough though, but maybe if we spammed it via twitter, facebook, youtube (videos, not comments) etc we could raise a charity of some sorts.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I'll look into hosting one at WPI...they don't like me much because I'm a badass[ the gaming club, anyways ], but I'm sure I can kick their *** hard enough to get stuff done.

-DD

Banks

Smash Hero
hey guys, the pre-pass for Gameunicon 2 is available on gameunicon.com for 20 dollars

get yours today!

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I suggest all ECRC events offer a side tournament fundraiser to fix this. Split the pot between the winners and funding replacing the funds lost here. This is a load of crap. It really sucks that some douche got away with this and all of OUR money. He'll be in jail a long while, at least.
ummmm are you ****ing kidding me???

the WINNERS are the ones that got SCREWED, and you want the WINNERS to pay for the fundraiser??!?!?!?!?!??!?!

WORST

IDEA

EVER

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Jay, we realize you got hurt in this matter but shut the **** up, you're a disgusting human being when it comes to this ****.

If you're going to complain about losing money do it somewhere else you ****ing baby.

Also read his ****ing post again he was talking about holding side events for charity.

You don't have to enter them, stop complaining.

You realize people's LIVES are being ruined by this right?

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Jason, an entire business, almost $50,000 to a hotel, and various other costs matter a lot more than a few hundred bucks. Yes, the winners did get ****ed really hard, there's no arguing that. Unfortunately for the people who play this game, our needs are less important than the other ones in question now.

Edit: Jesus Kevin, a little hard? <_<

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
No Termina, not hard enough if Jay doesn't see the difference between someone having their LIVES ruined and him losing out on money.

I know he has terrible luck, but for him to shoot down the idea of holding charity events for someone who lost the funding for his WEDDING DAY due to this... it's disgusting.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
I agree with the concept of it for sure, no doubt. I dunno, I thought maybe it'd be easier for him to understand in nicer terms. Oh well, as long as the point gets across.

JASON BRING MY ****ING CONTROLLER NEXT TOURNAMENT YOU GO TO

Mew2King

King of the Mews
I just skimmed through this thread and I saw something about, in the future, tourney winners paying for the fundraiser

but besides the host of this, the tourney winners are the ones getting screwed the 2nd hardest and yes it is a big deal to me obviously i LIVE OFF THIS RIGHT NOW

oh btw this isn't the first time **** like this happened so I don't wanna hear it

if it's another side event for charity that's one thing, but taking away the pot from future ECRC events is ******** cuz I wanna go to those and smash is my only job. I'm pretty much poor without it, and I have not made -NEARLY- as much as people think over the years. If I read this thread wrong or his posts wrong (again, I just skimmed cuz I'm mad) then my bad

Oh and shut the **** up with calling me a disgusting human being I'm one of the NICEST people but this **** PISSES me off a lot especially when they get away with it

I split with people all the time over years just cuz I'm ONE OF THE NICEST PEOPLE EVER with money.

I regret it now though; I never should have done that ****

Prawn

Smash Master
M2k v. KevinM drama needs to stop.

Not the place for this guys.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
o_o Geez Jason, GU's first priority is paying you guys first, since you're factored into their debts.

Plus, the idea behind charity is CHARITY. Giving = giving. Play for the love of smash and the love of those who enable us to do so.

-DD

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I just skimmed through this thread and I saw something about, in the future, tourney winners paying for the fundraiser

but besides the host of this, the tourney winners are the ones getting screwed the 2nd hardest and yes it is a big deal to me obviously i LIVE OFF THIS RIGHT NOW

oh btw this isn't the first time **** like this happened so I don't wanna hear it

if it's another side event for charity that's one thing, but taking away the pot from future ECRC events is ******** cuz I wanna go to those and smash is my only job. I'm pretty much poor without it, and I have not made -NEARLY- as much as people think over the years. If I read this thread wrong or his posts wrong (again, I just skimmed cuz I'm mad) then my bad

Oh and shut the **** up with calling me a disgusting human being I'm one of the NICEST people but this **** PISSES me off a lot especially when they get away with it

I split with people all the time over years just cuz I'm ONE OF THE NICEST PEOPLE EVER with money.

I regret it now though; I never should have done that ****

You skimmed wrong, stop posting in this thread with your bull****.

Make a thread called "hurr da durr I'm the only person in the world" if you want to keep talking.

Any more posts about how you personally lost money will be infracted for spam.

I know you split, trust me I've seen it in your thousands of other sob stories about losing money. Unfortunately, I'm neither moved, nor do I give the slightest ****, leave this thread with your BS.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
if you can't understand m2k's viewpoint in this then you're an idiot...

the dude basically got screwed out of a paycheck, i mean would you not be mad? i'm sorry but as bad as this is for gameuniverse they're not the only ones hurting

Prawn

Smash Master
I'd be astounded and utterly disappointed in the American legal system if this man doesn't pay what he owes.

Well...more disappointed than I already am I guess.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Stingers, I realize that hence I said it sucks for him too.

But he misread an idea of holding charity events on the side of ECRC tournaments, and just shot it down and *****ed.

It's disgusting he can't see it.

It's fine he's mad but now is not the time to assault the thread with his sob stories.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
You guys are all ****ing *******s. I knew this would happen if I posted my true thoughts because that's how smashers are now. If I Want something I DESERVE then I'm AUTOMATICALLY being greedy and a selfish *******. You're all ****ing ********

I DONT LOVE SMASH ANYMORE IT IS MY JOB THAT I NEED THE MONEY FOR. I HAVE NOT LOVED THE GAME FOR A LONG TIME NOW

Maybe I should have just been like "oh well idc about the money I hope GU gets all the money back so his business can stay"

OBVIOUSLY I WANT THAT TO HAPPEN TOO WTF

ANTi_

Smash Hero
HOLLA @ ME FOR GETTING MY 54 BUCKS FROM DOUBLES ON THE SPOT

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh

-RUNS-

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
M2K, then stop, you misread then leave it be.

No one called you selfish, I just said FOR ONCE this isn't about you losing money even if it has happened to you a lot.

*brofists Anti*

Good **** bro.

Prawn

Smash Master
You guys are all ****ing *******s. I knew this would happen if I posted my true thoughts because that's how smashers are now. If I Want something I deserve then I'm AUTOMATICALLY being greedy and a selfish *******. You're all ****ing ********

I DONT LOVE SMASH ANYMORE IT IS MY JOB THAT I NEED THE MONEY FOR. I HAVE NOT LOVED THE GAME FOR A LONG TIME NOW

Maybe I should have just been like "oh well idc about the money I hope GU gets all the money back so his business can stay"

OBVIOUSLY I WANT THAT TO HAPPEN TOO WTF
I can see it from both points of view, honestly I can. I think you need to realize though that GameUniverse is a staple of the scene out here and the way you initially reacted was a little bit stunning, if not offensive.

I'm 100% with you, if I was good enough to make money at this game I'd make sure I got what was mine, but the fact is every is ****ed and GU has made a pledge to try and pay you guys.

Again, make this the end of this please, it's ****ing stupid this thread is getting dragged down with his bull****, one of you talk to the other on AIM or something.

edit: okay they both made an effort to resolve it, thanks you fellows.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
You called me a disgusting human being and a ****ing baby. That's pretty bad when I'm getting mad for LEGITIMATE REASONS.

I wouldn't care if I didn't need the money, but unfortunately I do which is what I need these big tournaments for

I'M NOT *****ING AT GU GUYS WTF OBVIOUSLY HES A GOOD GUY IM JUST POSTING ANGRY IN GENERAL AND FROM THE GUY WHO STOLE ALL THIS **** CUZ IM PISSED AND I DONT WANT HIM TO GET AWAY WITH IT

btw in case you guys forgot I was the FIRST TO SAY THAT ID PAY FOR ALL THE LIGHTBULBS/SHANDELIER or whatever it was that someone on the 3rd floor broke that almost stopped the tourney from starting (with no refunds)

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Call me a **** but i don't really feel bad because Gamebattles owes me 1,250 bucks

close enough

i got over it :)

EDIT : DONT ENTER ANY TOURNAMENT THAT HAS 2 WORDS IN ITS NAME AND STARTS WITH A G.

HOLLA!!!!

Smash Journeyman
There was no scam at 0c3 it was just a crapload of people who didn't even go to the tourny and got a bunch of rumors mixed up.

edit: BTW kevM you are a joke of a moderator if you think m2k is a disgusting human because when you call somebody that your totally teasing that person and encouraging them to get infracted.

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
2001, you may not see this from our perspective. GU is where our tournaments happen; it's our home of smash. Most of the tournaments I've been to have been there, and with the exception of genesis, none have even compared. To see our home just fall apart because of one man's greed angers us, and we are willing to go to extremes to keep our home standing.

NE represent.

Smash Journeyman
2001, you may not see this from our perspective. GU is where our tournaments happen; it's our home of smash. Most of the tournaments I've been to have been there, and with the exception of genesis, none have even compared. To see our home just fall apart because of one man's greed angers us, and we are willing to go to extremes to keep our home standing.

NE represent.
You are an idiot for the following reasons;

1. I do see from your perspective although the perspective you are taking is irrelevant to my last post.

2. I'm aware that it sucks really bad to see your "home of smash" get destroyed but the one who destroyed it was not the one I was defending in my last post.

3. Directing your posts towards me does not keep your home standing.

Top Bottom