• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The story behind GameuniCON 2009 &John Keough Donations to save GU & pay winners UP!

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
such a terrible story. i would think if we got enough people in on this, we could get a large number of tournies across the USA to take a portion of the pot and donate to GU. i think its very possible to raise the money needed if we get enough people in on this

Anther

Smash Champion
I didn't cash my check because I kept getting his voicemail x.X.. I get to live off of $1 now lol x.x..
This whole thing is soooooooo Ridiculous. I never thought smash would ever see something as devastating as this was.

pockyD

Smash Legend
If m2k is good enough at smash to indeed actually live off of it (and i don't see any reason to believe he isn't, as long as he does the number-crunching to find profitable tournaments with regularity), who are you to suggest that he should get a "real" job instead?

Him not getting paid for this event isn't like he randomly lost his controller then placed 17th, something attributable to the volatility of 'professional' competition; it's a case of him not getting the money directly owed to him, which would be comparable to your employer not paying you. His choice of "job" has nothing to do with what happened

Anther

Smash Champion
It's true. If he's travelled 20+ hours to a tournament and the promised prize for his performance is over 1000 dollars, then he has good reason to be upset.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
A couple of things.

1. All the bands that were supposed to get paid did. Except mine but I don't really care... however our guitar player put money into studio time because I promised him he could get all the money from GameUniCon he has a great day job it's not a big deal right now or I will pay him back.

2. M2K and all of the players that won money DESERVE IT and TRAVELED to MA to play hoping to win their expenses back. John promised to keep the tournament money separate and didn't. I don't know why. He also promised his company would put the $10,000 in promised money in to the pot. I don't know why he didn't and I had no control over this and was not allowed to look at his account or at any of his paperwork. Dave was supposed to be able to and John even showed him an account with a $17,000 in it the week before the convention I was sitting at the table when he did. We have no idea where that money went.

THE WINNERS DESERVE THEIR MONEY AND HAVE A RIGHT TO BE UPSET. I hope we can get this resolved.
Double post cause it's important....

With the media coverage... we have been asked by the police to NOT go to the media right now.

We are still trying to decide what to do. With my store at stake I would appricate if you would not call the media without speaking to me first or hearing GU's name start to get slandered. If you do post up here the second you hear our name anywhere other than the boards.

Thanks guys.

Do everything you can to get your civil suit going. Please include us or point us to a good lawyer if you can. :)
can this get put on the front page and get another title change?

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
double post cuz.......

I vote that this thread and its updates gets moved to a private section or some kind of thread where only information can be updated by jake, GU, mages daz or whoever actually needs to make post of importance. No need for all this excess.

mods plz consider this. I dun want info missed or have a hard time finding it or something because someone wants to argue with m2k. majority of this page is excess. It wasn't too hard finding the GU post but I dun like where the thread is going atm. it seems to be taking a non-constructive turn. If ppl wanna respond to this arguing that theres no need for the statement above...... I will not respond so dun waste your time.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
double post cuz.......

I vote that this thread and its updates gets moved to a private section or some kind of thread where only information can be updated by jake, GU, mages daz or whoever actually needs to make post of importance. No need for all this excess.

mods plz consider this. I dun want info missed or have a hard time finding it or something because someone wants to argue with m2k. majority of this page is excess. It wasn't too hard finding the GU post but I dun like where the thread is going atm. it seems to be taking a non-constructive turn. If ppl wanna respond to this arguing that theres no need for the statement above...... I will not respond so dun waste your time.
I agree with this, also I will update op when I'm not mobile.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I feel so good for breaking his Rock Band set after I convinced him to let us play for free now.

noodles

Smash Champion
It might be easier to make a group with the people that were affected by this. Then just repost the updates here. That way they wont miss anything and we can know whats going on.

jacyluv7

Smash Rookie
I know this is a gaming forum and everything, and yes people were screwed out of money..but what about thinking about the people on the other end, like johns wife?? his sisters all those people who were affected by what he did who had no idea this man was capable of something like that...i know you all want your money, but by going after everything john is worth...your really going after his wife who is devasted about this, she never saw this coming, plus if john had anything don't you think you people would get your money???...think about his family and the shock they are on right now trying to deal with this...i don't think they need gamers knocking at there door asking for there winnings or trying to take them to court right now for something john did cause ultimately anything john left behind is now ALL on his wifes shoulders who really had nothing to do with any of this

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I know this is a gaming forum and everything, and yes people were screwed out of money..but what about thinking about the people on the other end, like johns wife?? his sisters all those people who were affected by what he did who had no idea this man was capable of something like that...i know you all want your money, but by going after everything john is worth...your really going after his wife who is devasted about this, she never saw this coming, plus if john had anything don't you think you people would get your money???...think about his family and the shock they are on right now trying to deal with this...i don't think they need gamers knocking at there door asking for there winnings or trying to take them to court right now for something john did cause ultimately anything john left behind is now ALL on his wifes shoulders who really had nothing to do with any of this
NO JOHNS! Too soon?

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master

but yeah there are no winners in this situation, it's all just ****ed up.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
thats all dandy but the law is the law.

what are we supposed do then take it easy and not set things straight? Srsly if you think we gonna like not be adamant about this then you are in for a shock. DO NOT write us off as gamers who just want their money. People worked for him, had partnerships with him etc. Yes there are prize winners but he dug a huge hole beyond prize money and I'd be dammed we went light on this because of his wife. It is unfortunate but we have to do what he have to do because businesses/jobs/lives on our end are hurting too.

pockyD

Smash Legend
that's part of the deal with marriage and in particular, shared possessions

it's not all puppydogs and sunshine; you are accountable for each others' mistakes as well

M@v

Subarashii!
I read this earlier, and its total bull****. ADHD, M2k, all you guys that won money, don't hesitate. Take that ****er to court.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Double post cause it's important....

With the media coverage... we have been asked by the police to NOT go to the media right now.

We are still trying to decide what to do. With my store at stake I would appricate if you would not call the media without speaking to me first or hearing GU's name start to get slandered. If you do post up here the second you hear our name anywhere other than the boards.

Thanks guys.

Do everything you can to get your civil suit going. Please include us or point us to a good lawyer if you can. :)
You don't have to listen to the police in this situation. You are in a place right now where you could benefit from public support. Don't cut yourself off from that just because the police don't like media coverage. You guys deserve better.

Anyone who didn't get their prize money at this event can attend Smash and Coffee 3 for free:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=248349

jacyluv7

Smash Rookie
i'm not saying that you all are not entitled to your money, I think what he did is messed up, but HE is that one that deserves to pay, not his wife or immediate family thats the point i was trying to make.

You all deserve what you were promised, This whole thing is a huge shock to me TRUST ME!!

pockyD

Smash Legend
typically part of being husband and wife is sharing assets, aka money; what's his is hers, and therefore, what's hers is what's owed

i know this is sounding blunt and unsympathetic and if i had to address them in person i'd obviously use a different tone, but that's not the situation at hand. they are responsible for his debts and should be held accountable as such

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
typically part of being husband and wife is sharing assets, aka money; what's his is hers, and therefore, what's hers is what's owed

i know this is sounding blunt and unsympathetic and if i had to address them in person i'd obviously use a different tone, but that's not the situation at hand. they are responsible for his debts and should be held accountable as such
Actually I'd imagine this varies state to state, in which case The Law will be the sole decider on whether or not his family gets "screwed over" or whatever.

Iliad

Smash Lord
Ontario gamers ****ing unite. When america needs help, captain ontario comes to the rescue, even though you ****s don't attend our tourneys.

We're looking into starting a charity tournament (if not more than one) in an attempt to help pay the players who got ****ed for their money. And in the end, possibly GU as well.

OOC people attending helps with this a great deal, as the more people who come, the more money can be donated back to the people who need it.

Stay tuned.

MaNg0

Smash Hero
hmmmmmm so im not getting my money?

ehhh i made m2k not finish a set

all the prize i need ^___^

all tho i would like my 1100+ at some point LOOOL

u guys got this

pockyD

Smash Legend
Actually I'd imagine this varies state to state, in which case The Law will be the sole decider on whether or not his family gets "screwed over" or whatever.
George: (whispering) They cannot arrest a husband and wife for the same crime.
Michael: Yeah, I don’t think that’s true, Dad.
George: Really? I’ve got the worst ****ing attorneys.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
Mods please consider allowing us to have a locked thread for updates, and a discussion thread..

I feel that this will require such a thing, it is a rather large issue and will take a good amount of time to resolve.

Again all who were involved, i cant apologize enough.. It's just sad that we cant trust anyone but ourselves in such a great community. As i said, i will never again run a tournament with someone i do not know, or someone above me.

And i will do EVERYTHING i can to get the players their money.

The magic players have contacted me, wanting to get involved, and i will be talking to SFIV soon.

I will say that i personally will not be able to afford to hire an attorney for this anytime soon, but i feel there may be other options!

I appretiate all the support, and PM's and advice that people have posted.

People feel very strong about saving GU, and as do i! How do people feel about me opening a donation account for GU? Im sure the majority of you who know me, trust me, but still i will keep the $ amount public, and detailed $ per donation information int he SBR.

Thank you all for the support, and again i still cannot believe all of this is going on..

CStick

Smash Lord
I don't know too much about legal ****, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once:

you guys should keep in close contact with the hosts and everyone else possibly suing the balls off this guy, in order to see if you can simply have the unpaid prize winnings claimed as damages on your behalf (that way, you won't waste your time or have to go through the hoops to get your own lawyer or anything, which would probably cost more money than the prize winnings).

Aside from that, all I can say is: unless the guy was worth about $100,000 from all his assets, you may not see your money for a very long time, if at all. You'll most definitely not see it for many months due to trial and legal proceedings. I'd imagine that the GU and hotel would be the first people paid off, given how much money they lost. then so on, and so on...

Good luck, and at least the guy got caught and has to suffer the consequences.

Top Bottom