• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The story behind GameuniCON 2009 &John Keough Donations to save GU & pay winners UP!

th0rn

Smash Lord
So for m2k, mango, and ally to get their money back.... they're going to take their prize money from the next tourney, and give it to them as payment for the last one...

wow, that is a stupid idea... i agree with m2k on that one.

lain

Smash Master
If you don't think this is a big deal for the winners, then you're a moron.

I am currently paying for college with smash alone. I just lost a $353 paycheck (that was actually written WRONG as $300) and now my account is -$80.

I am absolutely ****ed, and I intend to get that money however I can.

Smash Journeyman
If you don't think this is a big deal for the winners, then you're a moron.

I am currently paying for college with smash alone. I just lost a $353 paycheck (that was actually written WRONG as $300) and now my account is -$80.

I am absolutely ****ed, and I intend to get that money however I can.
I really do feel bad for you and the rest in your situation so do you mind if I offer you some advice?

Temporarily quit smoking and smash, talk to your bank about your situation to buy you some time, pay back the money you owe, get rid of that account, and open a new one when you have more money.

Right now you should really get in contact with your bank really.

Revven

FrankerZ
I feel bad for the winners here and GU. I hope everything turns out well for everyone in a fair and just way. Especially M2K, lain, and everyone who live on Smash as their only income. My condolences go out to you guys and GU as well.

th0rn

Smash Lord
Say I , and six other people, bought a $1,000 HDTV from a local TV store and they were ALL DEFECTIVE AND DIDNT WORK.

We try to return the TVs and then the owner of the shop says, I'm sorry... but our business went bankrupt.....we can't return those!!!!!

The people who bought the TVs are SUPER PISSED AND WANT THEIR ****ING MONEY BACK that they EARNED

Then the random friend of the store says, WTF dont you have a heart you ****ing *******s.... this guy is going out of business, his life is ruined!!!!

and to top it off, someone asks the people who bought TVs for donations to keep the local store alive...

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
It never fails to amaze me where these conversations go.

GU: Sucks so bad what you guys are going through. I wish there was something we could all do besides just feel bad for you.
M2k: I feel you, man. I know it sucks to be misunderstood, but you just need to be more aware of how strongly you put yourself out there on the boards if you don't want people to overreact. Your style of posting just baits responses from people like Kevin.
Kevin: You and I don't get along.
lain: you're my boy. Sorry for how this **** is affecting your real life. I hope it gets worked out well. Come down in Nov. to Smash and Coffee 3, and I'll find a way to get you some cash.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Jay, we realize you got hurt in this matter but shut the **** up, you're a disgusting human being when it comes to this ****.

If you're going to complain about losing money do it somewhere else you ****ing baby.
isn't there something in the roolz about flaming/trolling?

I hope the legal system can resolve this, and people are paid what they earned.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Say I , and six other people, bought a $1,000 HDTV from a local TV store and they were ALL DEFECTIVE AND DIDNT WORK.

We try to return the TVs and then the owner of the shop says, I'm sorry... but our business went bankrupt.....we can't return those!!!!!

The people who bought the TVs are SUPER PISSED AND WANT THEIR ****ING MONEY BACK that they EARNED

Then the random friend of the store says, WTF dont you have a heart you ****ing *******s.... this guy is going out of business, his life is ruined!!!!

and to top it off, someone asks the people who bought TVs for donations to keep the local store alive...

That would make sense, if GU were the people who ripped people off, not to mention that these peoples' lives are, more or less, the same after this. I no doubt feel bad for Wyatt and all the other people down money, and I understand that smash is their livelihood. However, GU are also victims of this and they've lost more than a paycheck, they've lost their entire business/place of work.

Not to mention GU is saying that they want to pay smashers off above all else, which is chivalry in this world of greed. I commend them and would no doubt try and enter a side tournament to benefit them at future ECRC events.

For these smashers who lost money, it's messed up and I hope you get paid, but there will be more tournaments which you (Lain, Wyatt, Jason) will make money at, every week. For the people at GU, they're out their job and place of work, and will have to abandon the thing they've striven to create for so many years.

How can you say that THEIR plight is insignificant compared to those of the smash community? An entire BUSINESS is at stake, a place that has been more than happy to take risks to support OUR community and others. But you can't stop to think that maybe, just maybe, we should try our hardest to attempt to help them out? ESPECIALLY when they've even stated that their top priority is to help pay our players?

That's kind of ****ing sickening

th0rn

Smash Lord
Ok let me fix my post.... its in bold

We try to return the TVs and then the owner of the shop says, I'm sorry, we've been tricked sir... our business went bankrup.....we can't return those!!!!!

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Still doesn't make sense. You use bad examples.

We're not talking about some random store. We're talking about a store that has been a home for the MA smash scene for what seems like a while. They're losing their business, and have still even said that their top priority is paying smashers back.

People always seem to forget about the places who welcome smashers. Venues who are more than happy to be a place where smashers can converge. Jamie could have just said "We're going bankrupt, sorry you're all on your own" or even worse, years ago GU could have ignored smashers' attempts to hold tournaments in their business. But they actually, you know, care about the community.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
=\ Well, obviously if the winners NEED the money then they don't HAVE to give it...especially if they're the same people GU already owes money, since it would just be recurring debt...
-DD

th0rn

Smash Lord
Still doesn't make sense. You use bad examples.

We're not talking about some random store. We're talking about a store that has been a home for the MA smash scene for what seems like a while. They're losing their business, and have still even said that their top priority is paying smashers back.

People always seem to forget about the places who welcome smashers. Venues who are more than happy to be a place where smashers can converge. Jamie could have just said "We're going bankrupt, sorry you're all on your own" or even worse, years ago GU could have ignored smashers' attempts to hold tournaments in their business. But they actually, you know, care about the community.
to m2k and the other winners... it IS a random store.

Im not saying he doesnt care, but still.... its HIS money too just as much as anyones. From my story I feel his post was understandable.

thats the point i was making.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Th0rn again you're misreading the idea of the tournaments being held ON THE SIDE.

M2k, I'm sorry for getting upset with you in such a manner, but you have to understand that when people are legitimately trying to help a business that they appreciate and also know the owner of personally, to have someone come on, not read what is going on and just try and shut it down without ever reading it it's entirely frustrating and with me not having the foresight of you misreading it really cast you in a bad light.

Apologies for my uncalled insults at you, as I didn't realize you had misread.

Th0rn, you know I love you but your story also doesn't make a lot of sense and is oversimplifying what people were saying.

th0rn

Smash Lord
Th0rn again you're misreading the idea of the tournaments being held ON THE SIDE.
rlly????

All proceeds go to Game Universe!
I really don't think anyone attending the next MM would mind giving all the proceeds to GU...cause like...they're so cool T~T;;
The next Mass Madness is coming up and if we can get it big enough maybe giving the pot to GU could help them out a bit.
Excuse me for thinking that way.... LOL

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Oh I didn't even see those ROFL, I was talking about this post

GG John. You were doin so good until you forgot to DI away from that **** neighbor. No wavedash? ****...Maybe next time dude.

Neighbors too good.

Sucks for everyone. Not just the people who lost money. Charity tourney would be awesome.
Which I agreed with.

th0rn

Smash Lord
if you get it big then decide not to pay out the winners, i guarantee it would become un-big in a heartbeat
qft, thats what I was thinking when posting.....

a side tourney is a great idea... or just ask for donations straight up.

Just reading this and the mass madness thread, it looked like people were trying to force a ECRC event or even just the next mass madness into a fundraiser... which is completely different.

altairian

Smash Lord
If GU sets up a paypal account or something for donations I would donate a few dollars, and I'm willing to bet a lot of others from this forum will as well. It's terrible what happened and they shouldn't lose their business over it.

The winners deserve their money, and GU has already said that they are making that their first priority, so I see no reason for the continued *****ing about it. Saving GU (if that's even possible) will lead to you getting your money, so jump on the save GU bandwagon already.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Th0rn I was looking for a side event in which 50 percent went to a pot and 50 percent was taken straight out and given to GU.

Thats my impression of what would be a good idea.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace

There's really not much I can say at this point, other than that I hope everyone gets what they deserve. Winners deserve their prizes, GU deserves to stay in business, and Keough deserves to rot in jail until he's 90.

Also, push the civil suit and media coverage ASAP, while the story is still somewhat fresh. You should have better odds of getting at least some reimbursement from a civil suit while the media is following it, and with the whole story, the MA media will have new material for weeks. They've also been known to help push local stories into the limelight, like the woman with terminal cancer who couldn't get visas for her parents to visit her. After airing the story for 2 nights, the government arranged for visas ASAP. Basically, harness the power of news media while you can.

Also, Keough is 27? WTF? That's a stupid age to try conning people. If you get lucky, you'll have to pull multiple scams to stay afloat, and if you're caught, you spend the majority of your life in jail. Not only is he a douchebag, he's a stupid douchebag.

Good luck to all indebted parties involved, <333333 GU

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
A couple of things.

1. All the bands that were supposed to get paid did. Except mine but I don't really care... however our guitar player put money into studio time because I promised him he could get all the money from GameUniCon he has a great day job it's not a big deal right now or I will pay him back.

2. M2K and all of the players that won money DESERVE IT and TRAVELED to MA to play hoping to win their expenses back. John promised to keep the tournament money separate and didn't. I don't know why. He also promised his company would put the $10,000 in promised money in to the pot. I don't know why he didn't and I had no control over this and was not allowed to look at his account or at any of his paperwork. Dave was supposed to be able to and John even showed him an account with a $17,000 in it the week before the convention I was sitting at the table when he did. We have no idea where that money went.

THE WINNERS DESERVE THEIR MONEY AND HAVE A RIGHT TO BE UPSET. I hope we can get this resolved.

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
Double post cause it's important....

With the media coverage... we have been asked by the police to NOT go to the media right now.

We are still trying to decide what to do. With my store at stake I would appricate if you would not call the media without speaking to me first or hearing GU's name start to get slandered. If you do post up here the second you hear our name anywhere other than the boards.

Thanks guys.

Do everything you can to get your civil suit going. Please include us or point us to a good lawyer if you can. :)

Omnath

Smash Ace
question

I am negative on my account now and as usual banks give you a date. if you dun pay by that date they charge more etc etc. How am i to be compensated for that? The more I read the more I am realizing that this will take quite a bit of time. Im guessing this won't be a 1-2 week affair will it?

like what do i do about a negative account in this case(cuz banks will be gay and raise ur **** given a certain amount of time)
=(

I know one thing, Im having a LONG talk with my bank this week. ADHD, I feel absolutely terrible for you since it was your first major, first time beating m2k and all dat ****.

edit: Mages, y'all caught probly the crappiest deal in competitive gaming (let alone smash) history. You guys put together a great event and ran things well. This is just very very unfortunate/unlucky. you'd think events like this wouldn't yield such occurrences of this magnitude and its really a shame. I hope that guy is milked for all he has.
Consult your bank. Dispute your costs. That will usually solve this problem, especially when the police have been involved with a felony case such as this.

TP

Smash Master

With the media coverage... we have been asked by the police to NOT go to the media right now.

We are still trying to decide what to do. With my store at stake I would appricate if you would not call the media without speaking to me first or hearing GU's name start to get slandered. If you do post up here the second you hear our name anywhere other than the boards.

Thanks guys.

Do everything you can to get your civil suit going. Please include us or point us to a good lawyer if you can. :)
Somebody said they sent a letter to Fox News already. I wouldn't worry about it, though. Fox News hates video games and would never air something that creates sympathy for a gaming convention.

:034:

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599

Thanks guys.

Im not sure if i can point you to a good lawyer. But some advice;

You should sit down and think about any types of past occurrences you've had with the guy. Write up a time line, and detailed events of when everything suspicious took place.

Phone calls, checks, things he said[to the letter], written documentation, post-it notes, contracts, etc need to be saved and stored in a safe spot. Anything you or any one else affected can think of to help build a case against him.

Do not wait too long to do that either; the more crystal clear and coherent, the evidence and testimony is, the more likelihood it'll succeed.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Not to mention GU is saying that they want to pay smashers off above all else, which is chivalry in this world of greed. I commend them and would no doubt try and enter a side tournament to benefit them at future ECRC events.

What I thought was the more important part of this discussion.

SuperSayianRenan

Smash Journeyman
This really sucks for all of you who went to the tourny and lost all that money, along with GU sry guys.

no offense to all who live off smash as money to pay for school or college.
But you know there are other ways of making money besides smash and if you had a real job then honestly you wouldn't be able to complain about not having enough money to pay for stuff. Just my two cents on that note :p not trying to start anything just prove a point, now if you can give me any good reasons y u can't do these things let me know and i'll gladly say ur right but until then i still believe that ur money problems would not happen if you had a job at some known bussiness.

joeplicate

Smash Master
Somebody said they sent a letter to Fox News already. I wouldn't worry about it, though. Fox News hates video games and would never air something that creates sympathy for a gaming convention.

:034:
or they would spin it as games being evil, which would be even worse than not airing it lol

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
This really sucks for all of you who went to the tourny and lost all that money, along with GU sry guys.

no offense to all who live off smash as money to pay for school or college.
But you know there are other ways of making money besides smash and if you had a real job then honestly you wouldn't be able to complain about not having enough money to pay for stuff. Just my two cents on that note :p not trying to start anything just prove a point, now if you can give me any good reasons y u can't do these things let me know and i'll gladly say ur right but until then i still believe that ur money problems would not happen if you had a job at some known bussiness.
Not sure if you noticed, but most smashers have jobs, and very very few can win consistently enough to live off of their winnings.

khino

Smash Rookie
You guys are all ****ing *******s. I knew this would happen if I posted my true thoughts because that's how smashers are now. If I Want something I DESERVE then I'm AUTOMATICALLY being greedy and a selfish *******. You're all ****ing ********

I DONT LOVE SMASH ANYMORE IT IS MY JOB THAT I NEED THE MONEY FOR. I HAVE NOT LOVED THE GAME FOR A LONG TIME NOW

Maybe I should have just been like "oh well idc about the money I hope GU gets all the money back so his business can stay"

OBVIOUSLY I WANT THAT TO HAPPEN TOO WTF
lol. "smash is my job". lololol. what a clown.

Top Bottom