• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Superlatives - Strongest attacks in each category

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I was bored so I went to training mode and tried to find the strongest attack in each category save throws.
By "strength", I mean K.O. power. I haven't tested most damaging yet though in most cases most damage and most knockback overlap. I tested attacks on a dummy Mario from the middle of FD. Reducing knockback was accounted for.

Standing A - Snake's punch, punch, kick. The kick hits like a Smash attack.

F-tilt - Ike's horizontal slash. Stronger than many smash attacks.
A few other's such as Ganondorf's "Sparta Kick" and Zelda's magic hand slash thing come close.

U-tilt - Ganondorf's ax kick. Nigh impossible to land, but satisfying when it does.
Snake's broke a$$ up kick is probably the BEST up tilt, followed by a few other's such as DeDeDe's head butt and Zelda's magical slashy thing.

D-tilt - Ike's crouching slash.

F-smash - DeDeDe's crushing hammer of justice. Kills Mario uncharged from the middle of FD at about 50 frickin percent, but has the highest start up frames of any f-smash. Good luck landing it.
Ike's crushing slash, (which he stole from Smash 64's Link), is almost as strong and easier to land.
Snake's rpg comes third in this category.

U-smash - Ivysaur's spore burst. What Pokemon attack is that? Stun spore doesn't do damage as far as I remember.
Kills at like 60%. One of the few reason's to use Ivyasur if you ask me considering it's terrible recovery.
Lucas psychic burst thing comes second. That move is scary.
Ike's 180 degree slash is also very strong.

D-smash - Lucas' copy of Mewtwo's d-smash from Melee. I think it gets weaker with each burst. Too bad it only hits in one direction. Well it kinda hits behind you a LITTLE bit.
Ike's double slash is also worth mention.
Toon Link's single hit d-smash can kill at like 10% near the edge, but it's pretty much impossible to do on purpose.

Dash attack - DeDeDe's belly flop. Like his f-smash, phenomenally powerful, but very hard to land.
Snake's dive is probably the BEST dash attack, especially with Snake dashing.
Ganondorf's dash attack is also very good.

Glide attack - I never really tested this one, but it appears Charizard's is the strongest, and Metaknight's is the "best".

Nair - R.O.B.'s spinning flame. Not much argument here.
Snake's inflicts the most damage (28%).

Fair - Zelda's sweet spotted "lightning kick". I think it's harder to sweet spot in Brawl than in Melee, but it's still not that hard.
There are many other powerful fairs such as Ganondorf's crush punch, DK's double club, Mario's crush punch, and C.Falcon's now-impossible-to-sweet-spot knee.
I think Marth's is the "best".

Dair - Link's Sword Plant. Kills at 85%.
Ganondorf's murder stomp comes second, killing at 88%. Deadly spike, and spammable damage builder with auto-cancelling. Kinda odd how hitting him downward makes him bounce upward.
R.O.B., Ness, and Zelda also have good, reasonably easy to land spikes, though Zelda's you have to sweet spot.
I think Snake's is the most damaging (28%).

Bair - Zelda's reverse lightning kick.
Ganondorf, Ike, DeDeDe, Ness, R.O.B. and Snake have notable bairs as well.
Most agree that Game and Watch's turtle is the "best".

Uair - Zelda's magical flame burst thing.
Ivysaur's floating spore burst uair comes second.
Or maybe that's Ike's whirling overhead slash....
Peach, Snake and Ganondorf also have notable uairs.

Neutral B - Ike's Eruption. If you charge it up NEARLY all the way, it kills Mario off the top of FD at 10%.
If you charge it up ALL the way, then it will hit opponents laterally with less knockback, but more damage. You will also receive 10 damage. I'd say let it go a little early.
Ganondorf's Warlock Punch is second. Kills Mario from the middle of FD at 29 freaking percent.
The reverse kills at 23%.
Yes, it is stronger that Ike's fully charged Eruption.
Marth's aptly named Shield Breaker and the legendary FALCON PAUNCH!! are also notable.
Ness' PK Flash ties for most damaging with Ike's fully charged Eruption (37%).

EDIT: I was wrong here. I listed Warlock punch as the strongest when in fact it was partially charged Eruption. Thanks to Mystical Kenji for the tip.

Side B - Game & Watch's Judgment: 9. Hits like a Home Run Bat. Pretty much an instant kill from anywhere at a little more than zero.
Zelda's broke a$$ Din's Fire is probably the BEST if you ask me.
Marth's Dancing Blade is also great as it racks up damage and refreshes other moves.

Up B - Ness's PK Thunder Rush AKA Psycho Crusher. Kills at like 30%.
Luigi's SHORYUKEN! ( Fire Jump Punch) is second. Kills at like 50% and up. It works best if you yell SHORYUKEN! with every attempt. Guaranteed to get some laughs everytime.
Lucas' Psycho Crusher is also very powerful.
Metaknight's Shuttle Loop is probably the "best".
The best in terms of recovery would either be Pit's wings or R.O.B.s boosters.

EDIT: I was wrong. Ness's Psycho Crusher is in fact the strongest (kills at like 30%). But SHORYUKEN! is more fun...
Thanks to Earthbound 360 for the tip.

Down B - Game & Watch's full bucket (assuming you got three very powerful projectiles such as 3 super scopes, 3 Aura Spheres, 3 Charge beams etc). Hits for a phenomenal 60% and instant kills pretty much anyone from pretty much anywhere at pretty much any percentage. I never tested Ike's counter against this, but considering Ike's counter always inflicts 1.2 times the damage of the attack, I guess the counter to the full bucket would inflict 72%.
Jigglypuff's rest is also notable, even though the risk of a literally 3 second lag is NOT worth it, considering it has a ridiculously small hitbox and only kills at like 60% anyway.
DeDeDe's fully charged jet hammer is also deadly, though I noticed that it has the highest knockback if released just as the flame turns blue, but not when it starts to hurt you. While it's hurting you, it inflicts more damage when swung, but has less slightly less knockback.
Wario's Nuclear Fart is also powerful though it has surprisingly low knockback considering it takes like 2 minutes to charge. It actually has more knockback when it is charged 3/4 of the way (55 seconds). Thanx to Germanydabassist and Noobcake for the tip.

EDIT: Final Smash - Marth's Critical hit. Kills anyone from anywhere in one hit guaranteed (assuming your not playing in a "box" like custom stage.)
The most damaging is Olimar's End of Day which inflicts 97% if you land the whole thing. Thanx to Ilex for that tip.
The second most damaging is Link/Toon Link's Triforce Slash. Point blank, it inflicts 83%[/B ] damage.

EDIT: Item - Home Run Bat and Dragoon. Duh. Instant kill from zero.

EDIT: Assist Trophy - Isaac's psychic hand push. Can kill at zero, especially on stages with walk off edges.
Lil' Mac and Knuckle Joe have some extremely powerful uppercuts.

EDIT: Pokemon - Kyogre's Hydro Pump or Hydro Cannon or whatever it is. Can kill at zero. Hard to escape except for those characters with godly recovery.
Ho-oh's Sacred Fire is the most damaging (81%).

If you think the list is wrong, correct me, and I'll fix the OP. You can also add your own Superlative list of something else. A section on throws would be appreciated since I'm not about to add that myself.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ness defintely has the strongest Up+B move. Ive killed at 23% before
Id take the mindgames and shield breaking ability of PKT2 over shuttle loop anyday.
PK Flash and Eruption fully charged does the same damage. 37% each.

You also forgot throws
Ness also has the strongest bthrow in the game
Olimar with a blue pikmin has the strongest up throw
I could be wrong, but I think wario has the strongest forward throw

Lol man am I biased.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
hm, how was ness tested? because in a typical use of his UpB, he racks damage with one or two hits from the charge, and then does a big knockback hit. Did you allow the racking hits to influence the scores?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Din's isnt' that good. It kinda sucks. I'd rather have Link's arrows if you ask me.

Recognize

Smash Journeyman
God dude. Im really pissed off right now so this is realy harsh but this list is ****in stupid.

Bair- you don't even mention ****in GAW which IS the best bair hands down.

U-smash- ivy over lucas? Ivy's Usmash is based from lucases Usmash.

For preety much all the tilts DK > all. I'm a firm beliver in Snakes u-tilt = DK up tilit.

DK has the best d-tilt easily. Then Gaw.

Dair- Link. People don't realize how ****in deadly this thing is. K.O's lighter chars at 60% when fresh.

Side-B you think Zelda dins fire is broken? LOL! So easy to dodge and shield.
Just jump and it becomes useless anyway.

*EDIT: Didn't read the title clearly. Just ignore this.*

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
hm, how was ness tested? because in a typical use of his UpB, he racks damage with one or two hits from the charge, and then does a big knockback hit. Did you allow the racking hits to influence the scores?
All you have to do with Ness' PKT is hit yourself with the bolt and shoot into the enemy. At point blank, this move has more knockback than any other Up+B move in the game. Remember, only at point blank.

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
I belive G&W's Down Smash is pretty powerful, and Ike's isnt that great, yet i have not tested such statement.

Also G&W's Bair does some good damage and has amazing properties, such as multihitting, and a final kockback hit, along with its nice range.

Well, thats just my opinion.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The best D-smash is Metaknight's. G&W's comes really close after Metaknight, but is worse mainly because it's a bit slower.

Also, I'd say G&W overall has a better U-smash than Ivysaur and Lucas (3rd place ftw, and he can techchase into it and it has super good IASA frames)

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Dsmash - ZSS:
It does 12% on its own, 23% if chained into itself, and potentially 38% or so if chained into itself and upsmash or Plasma Wire, which also opens your opponent to a techchase. You can also do 29% if you chain it into an SH Plasma Whip, or deal 26% if you chain it into a bair (both combos can KO easily at over 100%). It may not be especially powerful on its own, but its impact on ZSS's game and versatility make it by far the best dsmash in the game.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Wario's waft actually kills earlier if it isn't fully charged.
If it is fully charged, it'll kill at around.. 70-90%?
The "half-waft" kills at over 50%.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I agree with most of sentiments expressed so far with respect to which attacks are BEST, but let's just remember that the original post was about the STRONGEST attacks, since "best" is a little subjective. I guess I'll update the OP later with a list off the "best" attacks.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
Wario's waft actually kills earlier if it isn't fully charged.
If it is fully charged, it'll kill at around.. 70-90%?
The "half-waft" kills at over 50%.

so full charge is good for the much larger hitbox and for thw recovery.

Browny

Smash Hater
no, dont change it to best attacks. thats been done MANY times before, at least 3 times in the last 2 weeks. everyone has theyre own opinions on best.

as for KO potential, i think Snake wins on the fthrow, although a high % lucario also has a very powerful fthrow

if youre looking for strongest recovery, i think aether wins. 20% if all the hits connect.

acv

Smash Journeyman
i think bowser's fsmash kills at lower percents but i am not sure.its the most damaging though.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
If I remember correctly, the most damage Bowser's fsmash can do is somewhere in the 40% range.

Rocann

Smash Lord
best side-b is olimar's pikmin throw, and to whoever said something about his throws, it goes

up-throw with purple > b-throw with blue > f-throw with blue >>>> b-throw with purple

after that they're kinda weak

Germanydabassist

Smash Rookie
Wario has more knockback at a 3/4 charge than at a full charged fart.
It will be the most powerful right before he flashes brown.
at 3/4 charge, he can kill a link using DI at 50% on FD

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Best=/=strongest.
I think Ike's dair deserves a mention. It actually has more knockback than Ganon's dair, even though it does less damage.

Ilex

Smash Ace
Olimar's 'End of Day' Final Smash can inflict 97% if it lands on the opponent.

And how could you not mention G&W's Bair? Easily the best in the game.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Just for clarification, Lucas's Dsmash actually DOES hit behind him. It's just not that far.

Evilpenguin

Smash Cadet
1. You forgot to do grabs (as mentioned by others). There are some very powerful grabs in the game.
2. Ness, Olimar (blue), and the Mario bros all have good throws in terms of knockback. But Falco, IC, and DDD can all chaingrab really well. As for grab damage I doubt there is a clear winner.
3. Also, Ice Climbers might have a better dsmash than the ones listed. I know it can deal 53% damage fully charged with both of them, but maybe it doesn't kill until higher. You should test that out.

Other than that, nice list :)

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
I did some tests, Zelda's Bair isn't any stronger than her Fair. they are exactly the same(except the direction, of course.)

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
1. You forgot to do grabs (as mentioned by others). There are some very powerful grabs in the game.
2. Ness, Olimar (blue), and the Mario bros all have good throws in terms of knockback. But Falco, IC, and DDD can all chaingrab really well. As for grab damage I doubt there is a clear winner.
3. Also, Ice Climbers might have a better dsmash than the ones listed. I know it can deal 53% damage fully charged with both of them, but maybe it doesn't kill until higher. You should test that out.

Other than that, nice list :)
I mentioned that I didn't do grabs...I was too lazy...
Also I tested all smashes uncharged and tested knockback, not damage.

I did some tests, Zelda's Bair isn't any stronger than her Fair. they are exactly the same(except the direction, of course.)
I heard the back air was stronger on the Zelda boards, but never really checked. Thanks. Fixing list.

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
Side B - Game & Watch's Judgment: 9. Hits like a Home Run Bat. Pretty much an instant kill from anywhere at a little more than zero.
Zelda's broke a$$ Din's Fire is probably the BEST if you ask me.
If you're mentioning "bests", then at least mention Marth's Side B, because it sets up for stuff and removes attack degeneration.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Awesome list! I think you're pretty much right on as far as knockback is concerned. I'd be willing to go through and check the throws later today.

One correction though:
You say that you think Snake's Dair is the most damaging.
Did we forget Yoshi's FLUTTER-KICK-OF-PAIN!?
It does 33% damage if it fully connects.

Also: 100 posts!!! Woot!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
A: Ike
ftilt: sheik
dtilt: metaknight
utilt: snake
fsmash: lucario
dsmash: metaknight
usmash: snake
nair: metaknight
uair: wario
fair: metaknight
bair: wolf
B: snake
sideb: jigglypuff
downb: diddy kong
upb: metaknight
grab: ice climbers
fthrow: ice climbers
dthrow: dedede
bthrow: ness
uthrow: lucario

just an opinion

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Dsmash - ZSS:
It does 12% on its own, 23% if chained into itself, and potentially 38% or so if chained into itself and upsmash or Plasma Wire, which also opens your opponent to a techchase. You can also do 29% if you chain it into an SH Plasma Whip, or deal 26% if you chain it into a bair (both combos can KO easily at over 100%). It may not be especially powerful on its own, but its impact on ZSS's game and versatility make it by far the best dsmash in the game.
yea but this isnt talking about how it is applied to gameplay, this is talking about its KO power

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Ike has the strongest counter, no?

I know Lucario's counter is proportional to whatever his Aura boost is, but I don't know the specs. I do know that Ike and Marth can counter a Golden Hammer and call it an instant KO...

Edit: Another idea for Superlatives are the strongest throws.

Top Bottom