• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top 5 Brawl [ US | CAN | MEX]

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
put chibo over me...the only things I've done recently are beat z and yoshq in MMs at apex, and take 1 set off kadaj (tho he still beat me in 2 at the same tourney). and beat random people from NC.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
At this rate, I might have to lower Z if he keeps gettin BEAT!

Anyways @ chibo sounds fine, I don't really know how he's doing so that's good.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Has B.o.A been Considered for getting up there with Marth ?

He did place over Mikehaze at the Last tournament they were at, which was.. an E4U Tourney I believe.

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
I only play locally during the winter, so I could see where I could move down from inactivity.
I keep hearing people say I quit, just to put it out there: Never going to quit playing Smash.
There's some good Oregon/WA Smashers, but no one outside my region.
Some info on what I've been up to lately to dispel the rumors:

February 2012: Big City Gamin'
Defeated Jordan (unranked; Toon Link) 2-0
Defeated Phil Nye the Science Guy (ranked 10th; Sheik/Lucario) 2-0
Defeated Pwneroni (ranked 4th; Wario) 2-1
Defeated Brick (ranked 3rd; Pikachu) 3-0
Defeated Brick (Pikachu 3-0)
Overall placing: 1/25

March 2012: Big City Gamin' 2
Defeated Jedi Noah (ranked 9th; Meta Knight) 2-0
Lost to Jonix (ranked 6th; Snake) 1-2
Defeated Tasty (unranked; Olimar) 2-0
Defeated t1mmy (Ranked 5th; Meta Knight) 2-1
Defeated Jonix (Snake) 3-0
Defeated Seto Kaiba (Ranked 2nd; Meta Knight) 3-1
Defeated Seto Kaiba (Meta Knight/Mach Tornado) 3-2
Overall placing: 1/25
Can you link me to oregons current pr. ive been trying to find that thing.

Im lookin at your wins against Pwn, Brick, and t1mmy, those are pretty sufficient wins to put you in "active" and still "good"...

Overall, if anything, I'd like to know if Holy still doin work as well. :)

I think the list will be at LEAST

Holy, Kira, t0mmy *stinger/chibo*
Aight looks like im still needing to put in more work if I want to be known as better than holy. So ima be going a lot more rob in my OoS tournies to gain my rob rep. next big tournies is NYTE (south west regional which all yall should come to) then E4U (west coast regional everyone should come to too)
Expect some good results from me im going in H.A.M.!!!! to let these ni'gga know who I am!!!

Nike.

Smash Hero
Marth List said:
1. Mikehaze
2. Neo
3. Kadaj
4. Zex
5. KillLock
While Neo honestly is the second best Marth for this list, he hasn't entered anything since Apex :(
NorCal is always aib only with their results and rarely post vids, so we don't know if Zex is winning their events and with Marth.
Though I believe they banned MK so I would think that he is.
Someone WC and familiar with their region should shed light if possible.
Kadaj and KillLock I think are both secure for their current spots (3rd and 5th).
KillLock in general is extremely underrated outside of Marth Nation and Canada, but his Marth is ridiculously good.

Mintyflesh would be the next in line, based on the vids from his last tourney.
However, you'd have to ask yourself if Neo and/or Zex deserve to be on the list.

There's a decent drop in skill after that.
I guess you could technically throw in Roy_R, Chaz, and Pierce7d if you ignored retired status (they enter about 1-2 tournies a year).

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Aight looks like im still needing to put in more work if I want to be known as better than holy.
Yea I feel like, if anything I want everyone else to be confident in you being 1st, not just me. From the sounds of it you deserve it because holy hasnt gone all rob forever, but most certainly will be going mostly rob now cuz of mk ban in lots of areas.

I mean, I put that as an "AT LEAST" list, it really should be IMO you as first because you've shown exemplary promise.

So, with that in mind, does anyone know of HOLY's recent accomplishments for comparison? I like Kira's mindset, to prove it and not worry of placement, but in the meantime let's make sure my next major update is correct.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Why replace the other inactive people with people that are "barely" active / almost inactive status?
Wasn't that Minty's first tournament in awhile? Also iirc he didn't even beat anyone notable.
This is one philosophy that I disagree with, the same that a majority of the people in this thread do. I think that there's more to what a player places at events (or who they beat). Actually going back and analyzing the videos, watching how players read and use their character, and then comparing it to others. That should also be a big indicator when literally comparing players against each other. Alot of times people in this thread decide "Hey, this guy placed 3rd at this event and he beat so and so, he should get a spot on this list." I can't agree with that (a majority of the time).

EX: For those comparing Havok/MVD/Mikeray with each other. Why not pull the last 4-5 sets they've played from youtube and watch them? Alot of variables could easily happen in matches that could greatly influence your perspective on a player. However, this won't be seen on a bracket image and so judgement becomes altered and sometimes biased.

Everytime there's something like:
  • Razer/Ally
  • Havok/MVD/Mikeray
  • Player1/Felix/GDX/Dekar
  • 4God/Zekey/Atomsk
  • Like every single IC's
  • Denti/Anuar/Logic/RB
I can't bring myself to look at their results of their last tourney and go "Oh, well that should make the list Player A,B,C."
Unless it was something extremely outlier or obviously noticeable.

I've honestly always thought that top5 list's for each character should be decided from their specific character board. Most of the people on the character boards actually know the players, how they place, their playstyle, etc alot more. And I'd trust and their judgement over how thing's are decided here. If I remember right, the Yoshi's recently made the list themselves and someone relayed it to this thread. And I thought that was very smart of them. I know I wouldn't debate my opinion of any players/list outside of Marth's because I know that there's just too much speculation, bias, and not enough research put into it to back it up. Now there ARE people who do ALOT of homework on this game and outside of one character. Gheb's a pretty good example, and I always enjoy reading his post's when they are informative. This is, however, a rarity in this thread sadly.

I'll probably get alot of flack for this since most of the people who post in this thread won't agree with it at all.

Jimmyfosho

Smash Hero
Being sarcastic and pointing out the obvious.
Because there are more flaws with deciding it by video than to do it by the person they beat(opponent's abilities, you won't be able to accurately decide if they are consistent either, etc.)
IMO it should be person they beat>placing> consistency> then videos as a last resort. When it comes to deciding who is better than whoever.

Dcold

Smash Lord
Using a video to determine who is better doesn't show consistency. I agree, your placing doesn't mean much if you're getting byes left and right and really easy matches, but beating other notable/good people does, and shows consistency as 1 win on a good player doesn't make you dabess.

If you're going to use videos to determine who is better, may aswell let every single character board decide who their Top 5 is, and construct the list like that. That could work, but not every character board really follows everyone that uses that character in tournament as closely as others do.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Using a video to determine who is better doesn't show consistency. I agree, your placing doesn't mean much if you're getting byes left and right and really easy matches, but beating other notable/good people does, and shows consistency as 1 win on a good player doesn't make you dabess.

If you're going to use videos to determine who is better, may aswell let every single character board decide who their Top 5 is, and construct the list like that. That could work, but not every character board really follows everyone that uses that character in tournament as closely as others do.

I don't disagree that results should be ignored altogether. That would obv be dum. But using them as the only standard is what I disagree with. There should be balance.

About your second point, I fully support specific character boards rating their character. Nothing's stopping others from posting there, the topic isn't changing since it's literally one character, and alot more people that use the character get more involved. I see it as a success anyway.

falln

Smash Ace
with regards to zex he beats everyone in norcal consistently with marth. he also sometimes goes falco and wins everything and sometimes goes mk and wins everything. the tl;dr is he wins everything and he mains marth so yea

also i dont like the idea of the list being decided by the boards. not everyone posts in their character's respective boards much (when i first started posting on swf a few months ago not a single member of the kirby panel knew who i was LOL) whereas within the collective community its pretty easy to get accurate information on everyone who's worthy of being a contender

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I don't intend to allow the placement of players in their respective top 5s to be determined by character boards, however I do encourage discussion within their own boards to suggest changes.

In fact, I have thought of putting discussion threads for the Top 5 in each character board or asking an ambassador per character board to do so. That way they could keep track of changes and such.

But that might bloat them some? Hm... I don't know if it's neccessary.

@spam: No mercy. Stop it.

Neon!

Smash Lord
Depending on the level of activity we're going by the DK list could either be:

(average ranking since brawl's release, imo)

1. Will
2. Cable
3. Bum
4. Dr. Grandpa
5. Ook

or...

(placings from this year)

1. Will
2. Nairo
3. Ripple
4. Neon
5. mar1

I'm guessing we want something in the middle...

Patches

Smash Master
Honestly, poke > i1337

i1337 is inactive now, but poke places higher, but using Marth and Falco as well.

Or even Attila from Nova Scotia. He has a good DK. He got 13th at RoS using a lot of DK.

:phone:

Neon!

Smash Lord
I wasnt sure about how active Attile or mar1 are. Attila could be on the list also. I've never heard of poke, where is he from?

Patches

Smash Master
He goes by 1PokeMastr. I think he's... 10th on Southern Ontarios PR.

Mar1 was at RoS, I'm not sure how he did though. He could be a candidate. As for how active either one is, I couldn't tell ya. I'd assume since they both came to RoS though, I'd say they're active enough. Lol

Patches

Smash Master
I've played all 3. Granted, I play Mar1 well over a year ago though, but I could agree with that. I've also played i1337, he's good, but not top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom