• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top 5 Brawl [ US | CAN | MEX]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I sorta agree with Nike. The only concern I see about adding all those extra factors is the difficulty, complexity, and subjectiveness.

But I definitely don't think he's too far off. As with anything, it's always a matter of making an idea work.

Luxord

Smash Journeyman
This is one philosophy that I disagree with, the same that a majority of the people in this thread do. I think that there's more to what a player places at events (or who they beat). Actually going back and analyzing the videos, watching how players read and use their character, and then comparing it to others. That should also be a big indicator when literally comparing players against each other. Alot of times people in this thread decide "Hey, this guy placed 3rd at this event and he beat so and so, he should get a spot on this list." I can't agree with that (a majority of the time).

EX: For those comparing Havok/MVD/Mikeray with each other. Why not pull the last 4-5 sets they've played from youtube and watch them? Alot of variables could easily happen in matches that could greatly influence your perspective on a player. However, this won't be seen on a bracket image and so judgement becomes altered and sometimes biased.

Everytime there's something like:
  • Razer/Ally
  • Havok/MVD/Mikeray
  • Player1/Felix/GDX/Dekar
  • 4God/Zekey/Atomsk
  • Like every single IC's
  • Denti/Anuar/Logic/RB
I can't bring myself to look at their results of their last tourney and go "Oh, well that should make the list Player A,B,C."
Unless it was something extremely outlier or obviously noticeable.

I've honestly always thought that top5 list's for each character should be decided from their specific character board. Most of the people on the character boards actually know the players, how they place, their playstyle, etc alot more. And I'd trust and their judgement over how thing's are decided here. If I remember right, the Yoshi's recently made the list themselves and someone relayed it to this thread. And I thought that was very smart of them. I know I wouldn't debate my opinion of any players/list outside of Marth's because I know that there's just too much speculation, bias, and not enough research put into it to back it up. Now there ARE people who do ALOT of homework on this game and outside of one character. Gheb's a pretty good example, and I always enjoy reading his post's when they are informative. This is, however, a rarity in this thread sadly.

I'll probably get alot of flack for this since most of the people who post in this thread won't agree with it at all.
Completely agreed. Although the individual character boards are usually overflowing, having this done there would be best. Who else but the top players with their respective characters could judge eachother? Regardless of how high the skill level of most people posting in here is, the character boards know best. I suppose if argument broke out there it could be taken back here for a SPECIFIC character, but if the boards can do it without problems why not?

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I can make threads where discussion doesn't wait for their character to appear in here. Is that okay?​

Like this:

[Top 5] - Wario Player Discussion
etc...

per character board.

That way they can keep track of changes and inform me of their combined decision/request with EVIDENCE. The con of that is that I can't subscribe to each thread. Too much. Discussion in here will still be most preferred.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Please don't make a thread in every character board. People can create social groups to do that, otherwise it's pointless clutter for something that's not official.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Why are you trying to move this thread?

If you think the people from each char board should decide shouldn't they come here during the time their char is being discussed?
This is exactly what I was thinking.

If people REALLY care, just ask the members of their character board to pop their heads into here and say something when it's fit.

We don't need to move this to each and every single sub-forum on the boards.

falln

Smash Ace
i think if every character is discussed in their own board then if an agreement cant be come to then another thread should be made in another character's starting with pikachu and then yoshi and then ice climbers in that order. at that point if there is still somehow any dispute then an emergency thread will be made in the melee sub forums for the respective board (which will suck for diddy kongs) and after that we draw sticks

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Please don't make a thread in every character board. People can create social groups to do that, otherwise it's pointless clutter for something that's not official.
I figured as much, it's too much work anyways. People COULD use my god damn social group I made... Just make character threads in there.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I have to agree with the use of using the Character Board decision as the way to create the Top 5. I mean the PT board did it once without too much hassle and ours will need to be updated again soon.

Dcold

Smash Lord
I wasn't suggesting that it should be done in each character board, but that it would be better to do that rather than looking at the playstyles of each person and deciding who plays better from that.

I still think this list is off as it's unclear as to whether activity has anything to do with the list. Some characters have iinactive players there and people who rarely use the character. And if they do use them from time to time, wasn't the previous argument that they don't use the character most of the time, meaning they don't face the tough MUs etc. Just think some things need to be set in stone, not blaming you Krys, but the rules for this list are unclear.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I only play locally during the winter, so I could see where I could move down from inactivity.
I keep hearing people say I quit, just to put it out there: Never going to quit playing Smash.
There's some good Oregon/WA Smashers, but no one outside my region.
Some info on what I've been up to lately to dispel the rumors:

February 2012: Big City Gamin'
Defeated Jordan (unranked; Toon Link) 2-0
Defeated Phil Nye the Science Guy (ranked 10th; Sheik/Lucario) 2-0
Defeated Pwneroni (ranked 4th; Wario) 2-1
Defeated Brick (ranked 3rd; Pikachu) 3-0
Defeated Brick (Pikachu 3-0)
Overall placing: 1/25

March 2012: Big City Gamin' 2
Defeated Jedi Noah (ranked 9th; Meta Knight) 2-0
Lost to Jonix (ranked 6th; Snake) 1-2
Defeated Tasty (unranked; Olimar) 2-0
Defeated t1mmy (Ranked 5th; Meta Knight) 2-1
Defeated Jonix (Snake) 3-0
Defeated Seto Kaiba (Ranked 2nd; Meta Knight) 3-1
Defeated Seto Kaiba (Meta Knight/Mach Tornado) 3-2
Overall placing: 1/25

wtf, I'm ranked on PR!?

Patches

Smash Master
Each character board has a social thread, I'm assuming. Why doesn't someone from each board that regularly posts in this one make a post in their social board and try to figure this out.

If not, I agree with Krys. Use his social thread for this.

:phone:

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I haven't really seen any recent results from Fonz, what I do know is that Pitbull should be higher, fairly consistent results in a tougher region, D Disciple should be 4/5th, and imo John12346 is plausible for nomination on Lucario. JamesG as well, although I haven't really seen how he plays, so I can't make a serious call on that.

Tearbear

Smash Ace
I haven't really seen any recent results from Fonz, what I do know is that Pitbull should be higher, fairly consistent results in a tougher region, D Disciple should be 4/5th, and imo John12346 is plausible for nomination on Lucario. JamesG as well, although I haven't really seen how he plays, so I can't make a serious call on that.
another + for pitbull

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Loving the avatar phil nye. But that's just because it's jamie hewlett stuff and I'm a gorillaz fan
Yeah, I've loved the story for a while now, and I saw some clips of it from a documentary about Bruce Lee, oddly enough, back when Monkey: Journey to the West was still a work in progress. It's a pretty unique spin and retelling of it.

Imo, the lucario list should be something like:

1: Trela
2: depends on if you want to bunk off Junebug for not being in the scene since December. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, beating M2K and his wins within the year are pretty good. Otherwise, I'd put pitbull there
3: Pitbull by default should be here, if not, D Disciple
4: John12346/D. Disciple/JamesG
5: John12346/D. Disciple/JamesG

So with Junebug, it'd be
1st: Trela
2nd: Junebug
3rd: Pitbull
4th: D. Disciple
5th: John12346

imo, after seeing James G play, he's allllmost there, but John did some damage at a recent tournament (beating Nicole, Ninjalink, and getting 2nd iirc), and James G's playstyle seems a little more rough around the edges (although John also feels a bit clunky in playstyle, he seems to limit his options at times to almost habitual options)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I heard something along the lines that his region in general has been swallowed by MvC. I certainly haven't heard results from him for a long time, let alone on his Lucario.

BioDG

Smash Ace
I have to agree with the use of using the Character Board decision as the way to create the Top 5. I mean the PT board did it once without too much hassle and ours will need to be updated again soon.
The only way I see that working is if Krystedez makes a thread in a respective character board for every time there is an apparent need for more in-depth discussion related to said character....then perhaps linking to it in this thread.

It's a neat idea which would focus overall discussion a little more while encouraging character boards to be more active, but is it worth the hassle and worth fragmenting discussion from one place? Hmm....

Patches

Smash Master
I say, put it to trial with the characters in need of discussion right now. Give it say... A week, tops for people to discuss it. And then change the lists. If it works it works, if not, we still gave it a chance.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I will petition Board leaders on this idea, but I am in no way going to make a thread MYSELF per character board. It's up to them to take charge for this particular idea. I WILL link it back here however. They can even just discuss it in the social thread and give me said posts for discussion so I can see that they've done it.

Actually, I reccomend someone else ask the board mods of each board if they can make said topic. They don't have to be fancy neither.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Each character board has a social thread, I'm assuming. Why doesn't someone from each board that regularly posts in this one make a post in their social board and try to figure this out.

If not, I agree with Krys. Use his social thread for this.

I think the whole concept of creating seperate threads and social groups is clunky. We have plenty of active members here on the Top 5 thread, so if anything I feel like the active members should just go back to their respective boards and work on the idea of said characters PR.

IIRC originally there was a thread in each board to figure out who were the top 5(I know on the PT boards Zigsta created our thread). I mean at this point I think the criteria for making the PR's should either be listing current wins (As you would do with a State or Region PR) or by having said Character board work on it. There is simply to much hearsay in this thread of insert random "I should be PR'd!!!". I know personally I have taken duty of this for the PT boards and am already starting work on deciding our updated PR.

Without listing wins or going through the character board/ current PR members all people are working off of is word of mouth, which will always gets you as far as random player X saying "I'm the best Wario in Tennessee". You can talk all you want but you need current PR members or wins to back it up.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Ya really. If you want your boards input go and ask them. Ppl should answer if u just ask in the social. Making things too roundabout and difficult if you start getting into all that other stuff.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
I honestly don't wanna be ranked right now.

I've been pretty inactive since G2, after I lost my free flight benefits. So not much has been going on in smash for me in awhile. I still play, just don't have a lot of time to go to tournaments.

So until I can get some current results up, you can take me off.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Im lookin at your wins against Pwn, Brick, and t1mmy, those are pretty sufficient wins to put you in "active" and still "good"...

Overall, if anything, I'd like to know if Holy still doin work as well. :)

I think the list will be at LEAST

Holy, Kira, t0mmy *stinger/chibo*
Pwneroni, Brick, and t1mmy are good players, they perform just as well or better than their fellow OoS character mains (can't think of any Wario, Pikachu, Kirby better than them) -- but they're still players from my region, and it seems rather unfair to judge a national ranking based on in-region results.
The last time I played in a tournament with Felix/Jem I sent Jem to losers, lost to Felix in (yet another) close match, then got timed out by Jem in finals. That was back at the end of 2011, quite a bit ago.

Don't expect me to travel until the weather clears up, we had like 6 inches of snow yesterday on the first day of spring, lol.
Chances are I won't be able to make it to NYTE. But good luck to Kira, hoping he goes all R.O.B. and we can really see some robo-pwning.

Can you link me to oregons current pr. ive been trying to find that thing.
There isn't really an accurate PR.
The scene has been dead for a year. 2012 has been a huge revival, but there's only been a couple legit tournaments (most events had 4-6 entrants, locals only).

Aight looks like im still needing to put in more work if I want to be known as better than holy. So ima be going a lot more rob in my OoS tournies to gain my rob rep.
You are better than Holy.
Bring your R.O.B. to the Pac NW, that's where the real test lies... everyone up here knows the matchup!

KageMurphy

Smash Master
This thread is enough, this **** hole place isn't organized enough for multiple threads to work. Stop trying to get creative.

:017:

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I honestly don't wanna be ranked right now.

I've been pretty inactive since G2, after I lost my free flight benefits. So not much has been going on in smash for me in awhile. I still play, just don't have a lot of time to go to tournaments.

So until I can get some current results up, you can take me off.
I was wondering why I haven't seen anything in awhile.

Well, in that case, it would be something like:

Trela
Junebug
Pitbull
John12346
JamesG

Tearbear

Smash Ace
He is, I played with him the other day, but he uses mk sometimes too and places only above average in TJ tournys altho he did almost beat havok last stock last hit but that was a while back

plus he got robbed at the TJ border two years ago, losing his visa, so he hasnt been to any US tournys in a long time

BioDG

Smash Ace
I think the whole concept of creating seperate threads and social groups is clunky. We have plenty of active members here on the Top 5 thread, so if anything I feel like the active members should just go back to their respective boards and work on the idea of said characters PR.

IIRC originally there was a thread in each board to figure out who were the top 5(I know on the PT boards Zigsta created our thread). I mean at this point I think the criteria for making the PR's should either be listing current wins (As you would do with a State or Region PR) or by having said Character board work on it. There is simply to much hearsay in this thread of insert random "I should be PR'd!!!". I know personally I have taken duty of this for the PT boards and am already starting work on deciding our updated PR.

Without listing wins or going through the character board/ current PR members all people are working off of is word of mouth, which will always gets you as far as random player X saying "I'm the best Wario in Tennessee". You can talk all you want but you need current PR members or wins to back it up.
Like you said, we have plenty of active readers/posters in this thread, so it only stands to reason that those who care enough about a particular top 5 will carry on their thoughts in an in-depth discussion thread that Krystedez would provide here as a link.

In fact, character board activity may be irrelevant because the posters in said discussion thread would be present because of a link provided here.

As for your word-of-mouth concern: all it takes is establishing a standard format for every in-depth discussion thread that is created. Part of the criteria can be tournament wins or whathaveyou. The assumption is that this type of thread would lead to a top 5 update of the character (rather than bandwagon posts here being the only way of moving things forward). As a result, there would be no other way of getting around it.

Discussion would not be fragmented permanently because once a character top 5 is updated, the in-depth thread is rendered pointless and should thus be locked (why would it change again in a short period of time?). It would force members to collaborate together again (in this thread) in order to determine who TRULY stands out enough to threaten a re-opening for another update (the process shouldn't remain at the character board since it involves a limited scope of players).

It's a dynamic system of sorts. Is it the best idea? I dunno. I can already see holes in it. But it was just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom