• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unofficial Offical MLG Ruleset Discussion

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
General Rules

1. Players may not use a controller with Turbo capabilities or Wireless capabilities. Controllers with Turbo capabilities allow Players to map a button sequence to the Turbo button. Pressing that button results in their Character performing a set of actions that would normally require the Player to press multiple buttons.
  2. Players may not use a controller that has been modified in such a way that it alters their Character’s abilities and/or in-game mechanics. Players may not use a controller that has been modified to include a Turbo button. Players are allowed to make cosmetic changes to their controller, however, Major League Gaming reserves the right to deny the use of any controller suspected of providing an unfair competitive advantage.
  3. Players may not attach a headset to the Wii or TV.
  4. Players/Teams who break General Rules #1-3 will be given a Warning. Each subsequent Warning that a Player/Team receives will result in a Forfeit of the Game (See Gameplay #3).
  5. Players may not intentionally manipulate a button, trigger, bumper, D-Pad, and/or joystick on a teammate’s controller while a Game is in progress. Breaking this rule will result in a Forfeit of the Game.
  6. Players may not appear on the Main Stage or Feature Station with sponsor insignia that is not approved by MLG or conflicts with MLG sponsors. Players may be asked to wear MLG apparel for Main Stage and Feature Station Matches.
  7. In the case of a Wii/TV malfunction, the Game will be restarted from the beginning.
  8. No Warm-Up Games may be played outside of scheduled Warm-Up periods.
  9. During scheduled Warm-Up periods, all Games must be played with three Stock or less.
  10. During scheduled Warm-Up periods, all Players must get up at the end of a Game and allow any Players, who have been waiting, to take their seat.
  11. During Saturday and Sunday’s scheduled Warm-Up periods, Players/Teams who haven’t been eliminated from the Event have priority over other Players/Teams regarding the use of open Stations.
  12. Players who break General Rules #8-11 may be given a Foul (See Pro Circuit Conduct Rules).
  13. If a Player/Team fails to report to their Station within 5 minutes of their Match’s announcement, they will Forfeit the 1st Game. 10 minutes after the announcement, a Player/Team will Forfeit the Best of 3 Game Match or the 2nd Game of the Best of 5/7/11 Game Match. 15 minutes after the announcement, a Player/Team will Forfeit the Best of 5, Best of 7, or Best of 11 Game Match. If both Players/Teams Forfeit the Match, the higher seeded Player/Team will win the Match.
  14. Players/Teams may Forfeit a Game or Match if a Player leaves their Station without their Referee’s permission, or is otherwise unable to play. Referees may set a time limit for a Player who has requested that they be allowed to leave their Station, however, Referees may also deny a Player’s request to leave their Station. Players/Teams may Forfeit a Game or Match if a Player hasn’t returned by the end of their Referee’s set time limit.

Gameplay

1. No use of Marth’s Grab Release Infinites against Lucas and Ness.
  2. No use of King Dedede’s Grab Infinites against Bowser, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Samus, and Mario.
  3. Players/Teams who break Gameplay Rules #1-2 will be given a Warning. Each subsequent Warning that a Player/Team receives will result in a Forfeit of the Game (See General Rules #4).
  4. No use of Meta Knight’s Infinite Cape Glitch.
  5. No Pausing a Game without Referee’s permission.
  6. No use of an action that freezes a Game, or otherwise disrupts standard gameplay.
  7. Any Infinite Move must end before the affected Character reaches 300%.
  8. Breaking any of Gameplay Rules #4-7 will result in a Forfeit of the Game.
  9. Any sign of cheating may result in a Forfeit of the Game, disqualification from the Event, and ejection from the venue. Players who are disqualified from the Event won’t receive any Rank Points for their ranking in the Event.
  10. In the 1v1 Event, the higher seeded Player must choose their Controller Port first. The lower seeded Player may use any of the remaining Controller Ports. In the 1v1 Finals, the Player without a Match loss must choose their Controller Port first. In the 1v1 Finals, the Player with a Match loss may use any of the remaining Controller Ports.
  11. In the 2v2 Event, the higher seeded Team must choose one Controller Port first. The lower seeded Team must then choose two Controller Ports. The higher seeded Team must use the Controller Port that wasn’t chosen.
  12. Players may request a Blind Pick of Characters for the Game 1 of a Match.
  13. For Game 1 of each Match, the higher seeded Player/Team must strike three Stages from the list of Starter Stages. The lower seeded Player/Team must then strike 4 Stages from the list of Starter Stages. The higher seeded Player/Team must then choose the Game 1 Stage from the remaining Starter Stages.
  14. After the Stage has been selected for Game 1 of a Match, each Player may select one Stage, from the list of Starter Stages or Counter-Pick Stages, that can’t be chosen for Games 2-11. The lower seeded Player will be given the opportunity to select a Stage first. The higher seeded Player will then be given the opportunity to select a Stage.
  15. The loser of a Game must select the Stage for the next Game. The Stage for Games 2-11 can be selected from the list of Starter Stages or Counter-Pick Stages.
  16. After the Stage a Game 2-11 has been selected, the winner of the previous Game must select their Character(s), for the upcoming Game, first. The loser of the Game must then choose their Character(s) for the upcoming Game.
  17. If the Timer runs out, the winner of the Game will be determined by the following criteria in this order: Stock and Percentage. If Stock is used to determine a winner, the highest number will win. If Percentage is used to determine a winner, the lowest number will win. If both Stock and Percentage are tied, Sudden Death won’t be used and a Tiebreaker Round will be played instead. In a Tiebreaker Round, Stock will be set to 1, the Timer will be set to 4 Minutes, and the same Stage and Characters must be used.
  18. If the Timer runs out and a Player exceeds the Edge Grab Limit for that Game’s Stage, that Player/Team will Forfeit the Game. However, if the Timer runs out and both Players in a 1v1 Match, or at least one Player on each 2v2 Team, exceed the Edge Grab Limit for that Game’s Stage, the penalty will not be enforced (See Gameplay Rules #16). The Edge Grab Limit on Norfair will be 45. The Edge Grab Limit on all other Stages will be 35. The Edge Grab Limits only apply to Games/Tiebreaker Rounds in which the Timer runs out.
  19. If a Game is started without the approval of a Referee it will be restarted.
  20. Players may take one or more of their teammate’s Stock.

For Videos of all of the Gameplay Rule’s illegal maneuvers, go here:

http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304286

1v1 Settings

1. Rules = Stock
  2. Stock = 3
  3. Timer = 8 Minutes
  4. Items = Off & None

2v2 Settings

1. Rules = Stock
  2. Stock = 3
  3. Timer = 8 Minutes
  4. Items = Off & None
  5. Team Attack = On

Starter Stages

Battlefield
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Final Destination
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island

Counter-Pick Stages

Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Green Greens
Norfair
Pictochat
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise.

I want to get some ppl's opinion on the rules and stages that MLG has given us. I can't make a poll so maybe a mod can make this into a poll or somethign along those lines

theunabletable

Smash Lord
The formatting you used is ugly as hell...

Castle Seige, Delfino, and Halberd as starters is stupid and hilarious.

Wiichuck banned is absolutely ********.

And the stages being used are... well... interesting...

Oh and I hope that the lack of Dave's Stupid Rule and the lack of turning Team Attack On is just a typo or something...

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Think about it for a second, a lot of characters are KNOWN for being amazing on the starters, I'm pretty sure that the inclusion of a larger starter list would make them lest dangerious. The idea seems to be a more even MU in the first match as opposed to no interference.

My personal issue with Wii-chuck is lack of notice, there might be valid real life reasons that it's impossible (all 79 channels used in the venue).

Elaborate?

Same here.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Think about it for a second, a lot of characters are KNOWN for being amazing on the starters, I'm pretty sure that the inclusion of a larger starter list would make them lest dangerious. The idea seems to be a more even MU in the first match as opposed to no interference.
Well, I mean, it seems like all the stages could be good for diversity. But I always figured starters should be very non-intrusive stages, with very, very, very, very minimal to no hazards and such. Delfino with all of its walk off parts, and Halberd's blast zones + the chance in the beginning of getting really early kills + lazar and claw just don't seem to fit with what I always assumed starters were.

Well it's just interesting that they have stages like Green Greens and Norfair on there. I'm just surprised at what they picked.

Conti

Smash Ace
Lol at norfair... that's my only problem with this entire list... the starters seem interesting... more strategy in the neutrals... not just smashville... but 9 is too much. Maybe 7... and wtf baned stages in play? Green greens and norfair... no fair mk's r gunna go norfair n rc all dayy

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Fixed that formatting nightmare. Also, thread is not official.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Well, I mean, it seems like all the stages could be good for diversity. But I always figured starters should be very non-intrusive stages, with very, very, very, very minimal to no hazards and such. Delfino with all of its walk off parts, and Halberd's blast zones + the chance in the beginning of getting really early kills + lazar and claw just don't seem to fit with what I always assumed starters were.
Problem is... stages like that tend to be essentially equivalent, it would be like having FD and smashville, and adding Pictochat, it's helping the exact same characters.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
The formatting you used is ugly as hell...

Castle Seige, Delfino, and Halberd as starters is stupid and hilarious.

Wiichuck banned is absolutely ********.

And the stages being used are... well... interesting...

Oh and I hope that the lack of Dave's Stupid Rule and the lack of turning Team Attack On is just a typo or something...
Sorry for the formatting I tried to make it look better and that's all I was able to get out of it.

The stage selection seems as though it heavily favor's d3. Of course it's match up dependant however, the fact remains that those stages are some of his best CP's. Then the addition of green greens. Did the BBR really have any input on these ruleS?

@Ankoukou thanks for fixing the formatting but why not have this be the main thread ? Also can you make a poll out of the thread asking if people like the MLG ruleset. Yes no or Indifferent.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Problem is... stages like that tend to be essentially equivalent, it would be like having FD and smashville, and adding Pictochat, it's helping the exact same characters.
Fair enough.
The stage selection seems as though it heavily favor's d3. Of course it's match up dependant however, the fact remains that those stages are some of his best CP's. Then the addition of green greens. Did the BBR really have any input on these ruleS?
Yeah D3'll be pretteh good.

Oh and one other thing about the ruleset. It does a crappy job clarifying about the D3 CGs. He doesn't have an infinite on Bowser, and he has both a walking CG and an infinite on DK, and it doesn't mention the infinite he has on himself.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Fair enough. Yeah D3'll be pretteh good.

Oh and one other thing about the ruleset. It does a crappy job clarifying about the D3 CGs. He doesn't have an infinite on Bowser, and he has both a walking CG and an infinite on DK, and it doesn't mention the infinite he has on himself.
I thought he had an infinite on bowser. I'm assuming that he can't infinite them period. But what I find weird is they don't ban the wall infinites he may have. So does that mean he can't do them on said characterS?

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer

Well it's just interesting that they have stages like Green Greens and Norfair on there. I'm just surprised at what they picked.
I think you're looking at starters wrong.

Starters are supposed to provide a "neutral" starting stage.

Right now, our "neutrals" are all Falco/Diddy/Ice Climbers counterpicks.

Logically, the starters should be a diverse set of stages that favor a diverse set of characters, that can be striked to the most even stage in each matchup.

It just says that D3's Grab Infinites aren't allowed.

I'm assuming that anything that doesn't fall under that clause will fall under "limited until 300% to prevent stalling".

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I think you're looking at starters wrong.

Starters are supposed to provide a "neutral" starting stage.

Logically, the starters should be a diverse set of stages that favor a diverse set of characters, that can be striked to the most even stage in each matchup.
Halberd, Delfinio and Seige aren't d3 CP's or MK's or Snake's, I really don't understand the logic to support these stages as starters. SV BF FD LC or Ps1 or YI gives no one character a true advantage. No character is truely hindered by any of the stages. The only exception would be of course FD and Wario GR shenningans. However, keeping that in mind no one is going to go ah man I have to face falco on BF game 1 woe is me. Also with that said having to ace a MK on halber or d3 on delfinio or halberd or Seige is a lot worse. So please allow me into your knowledge so I can fully understand the reasoning behind allowing stages that are clearly CP's be allowed. Along with stages such as Green Greens.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I thought he had an infinite on bowser.
It's a walking CG. It's dumb as hell, but it's not an infinite, he has to take a small step after every Dthrow. He also has a walking CG on DK (yeah he has a walking CG AND an infinite on DK) and Wolf (IIRC).
And Delfino, Seige, and Halberd are D3/MK/Snake counterpicks.
Stages with walk offs (which hugely favors characters like D3) and random things don't seem very neutral to me.

But that's just me, I guess.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
And Delfino, Seige, and Halberd are D3/MK/Snake counterpicks.
That's perfectly fine.

Let's take Diddy vs Dedede.

If we have a strike list of three Diddy counterpicks (FD, BF, SV), and three Dedede counterpicks (Delfino, Seige, Halberd), we get game one on Yoshi's, Lylat, or PS1. Diddy will likely strike Lylat, and Dedede probably PS1, which results in Yoshi's as the first game, which is neutral.

If we have a strike list of three Diddy counterpicks and two stages which are neutral in this matchup, like we have now, then game one will be on a Diddy counterpick.

Does this logic not make sense?

What is 'neutral' changes on a per-matchup basis. By having a variety of stages that favor different characters, the stages will be struck down to what is truly neutral on a match-by-match basis.

Stages with walk offs (which hugely favors characters like D3) and random things don't seem very neutral to me.
If your opponent picked D3, strike it.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
logically speaking, team attack will prolly be something that gets dealt with accordingly.

outside of that, this ruleset is bonkers.
it's like MLG wants to portray Brawl as this exciting game.

i will never understand why the given infinities get banned.

i also think its lol that you're allowed to plank so long as the time doesn't run out.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Considering that Squirtle has an extremely BETTER infinite on Ness/Lucas than Marth does...

Like, Marth cg is VERY LARGE STEPS; hell its like a melee marth wave dash compared to squirtles regrab.
Think I am exaggerating? Maybe just a little, but try it out yourself.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
The issue I see with the stages the way they are now is the advantage MK gets. He can strike all neutrals and be left with pretty much no disadvantageous stages.

Luigi player

Smash Master
i also think its lol that you're allowed to plank so long as the time doesn't run out.
Planking only helps you to time people out. Because then the other player has to stop MK.
But if someone planks and there is a LGL, then the other player doesn't have to do anything and the MK/planker will lose if he doesn't stop.

The problem is that if the LGL is too high the MK can fight normally and when the time is nearly up he can start doing it (of course he has to lead).

They should reword their infinite bans.
They should also ban D3s infinite on himself and Wolf, not just the obvious ones.
And the one on Ness/Lucas... yeah they'd have to ban Squirtles too. -_-

NNID
Budget_Player
Team Attack Off. Hmmm.

Double MK. Alternate Tornadoes.

FFFF-
Can't do double teams.

I know Team Attack Off had to be a mistake.

It just HAD TO.
I pray to god. Dear lord... Falco becomes team god tier material!

logically speaking, team attack will prolly be something that gets dealt with accordingly.

Yeah, it's a load of BS. The ruleset is ridiculous. It's so ****ing scrubby. :laugh:

It just says that D3's Grab Infinites aren't allowed.

I'm assuming that anything that doesn't fall under that clause will fall under "limited until 300% to prevent stalling".
I thought those infinites were only against those few select characters. Nothing about infiniting himself or wolf on a ledge.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
The rules are kinda...weird. I like the stages a bit though, but to be honest, I see problems arising from having stages like pictochat and green greens legal. The starters shouldnt be a problem imo as they can be striked, and ppl will just strike the new stages and go to the same 3 or 5 they're used to. Battlefield, FD, SV, LC and YI.

iRJi

Smash Champion

The infinite's are banned for the simple fact that it completely shuts down the opposing character from even having an attempt to succeed. It's logical.

For people who did not see this:

So heres the thing.

We spent a long time on the ruleset. Reading backroom posts, reading what players have had to say, watching vids, conference calls, email chains. Probably more time than any of us would have liked to have, but we did.

I understand its probably more liberal than most of you are used to (even what I myself play on). But we feel it has merit, that it balances out well, and gives people the opportunity to play a good, solid, intelligent match/set.

Now, I am not expecting everyone to say MLG made it, so lets love it. But all im asking you guys is to keep an open mind. Some of the levels you are arguing about you have so little experience on you may be surprised. And if we are wrong, we are man enough to admit it. So practice the levels, really learn them. And if you are at Orlando, or watching the livestream and home and see some level being broken or make for awful matches afterwards we give you full right to point and say "I told you so". And just as we did setting these, we will take an intelligent look at it and make changes if needed. But much in the same way its difficult to un-ban Meta Knight after you ban the sword wielding mofo, its difficult to add a level with no data to support it. Nothing makes us think subtractions will be needed, but we are smart enough to follow very carefully and if it does, do so.

So like I said, give it a chance for an event here. We are giving everyone the opportunity to showcase their best in Orlando. Really put an educated amount of time and practice into the ruleset. See what happens. And be it a player, forum lurker, community veteran, let Orlando pass before passing judgment.

So some notes:

Spring Removal is 100% fine

Wii Motes- We are still trying to figure this one out. But the MLG tech team has said because of the massive amount of electronics and things we run (and all do respect but an airport is just not an accurate analogy to MLG event. But i do appreciate the post Zta, hopefully something i can pass along) bluetooth (2.4 ghz) signals just do not work properly. Now unfortunately theres no way for me to test this till Orlando. But at the same time, you people that purchased passes, purchased tickets, we appreciate people coming out and if they do work would like to potentially give you players that did so without knowing the opportunity to use them in Orlando. Its not totally my call, but im hopeful.
Personally, I question the stage selection, as many others. The wii-mote issue is not surprising to me, as I stated in the MLG thread that it will simply not happen due to the amount of wireless activity that will occur. This isn't a local, and because of that there will be about 200 wii's going off at one time. While not every station will be using one, there will be a fair amount if they allow the rule. because of the possible confusion, it can delay matches, and because of the amount of events that are happening, this is one of the last things they need. The only real issue I have with the wii-mote rule is that they informed people so late about it, and because of that people who are used to the wii-mote can't adjust to another controller.

I am not the person to normally complain, unless there is something wrong, and I apply this here. They are setting a standard and it will be adjusted as time goes by, like everything else. You can't say when we first made this game we had the rules right from the start. You should also note that there are going to be rules that will not suit everyone's need. By going against it, it is like you are arguing with your boss about how to do HIS job, and saying that he should be doing this, that, and the 3rd. Like I said, while I question the stage selection (because I think it is heavily leaning to certain characters) I think it is worth a shot before turning it down. I say this a lot, and the people who normally read what I write in the MK discussion or else where

"Only testing will prove results, not the speculation of theory"

It really is the only way to see if it will work or not.

EDIT: There needs to be a rule on scrogging at least. Failure to do so will cause something that is not pretty at MLG.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
The rules are kinda...weird. I like the stages a bit though, but to be honest, I see problems arising from having stages like pictochat and green greens legal. The starters shouldnt be a problem imo as they can be striked, and ppl will just strike the new stages and go to the same 3 or 5 they're used to. Battlefield, FD, SV, LC and YI.
Again, why? Beyond that pictochat is a ridiculously good Diddy stage, it's really all a matter of stage knowledge and GGs even more so.

I will agree that most matches won't use the new starters, but the important part is that it will take it to DIFFERENT starters, ex. no MK on SV anyone considering that scrooging makes it an incredly strong CP for him.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The issue I see with the stages the way they are now is the advantage MK gets. He can strike all neutrals and be left with pretty much no disadvantageous stages.
So? Name any number of starter stages and you'll have not a single disadvantage MK stage. The larger number instead gives other characters less disadvantages.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Again, why? Beyond that pictochat is a ridiculously good Diddy stage, it's really all a matter of stage knowledge and GGs even more so.

I will agree that most matches won't use the new starters, but the important part is that it will take it to DIFFERENT starters, ex. no MK on SV anyone considering that scrooging makes it an incredly strong CP for him.
True, but then there's stuff like DDD's wall infinite being allowed and green greens being legal >_>. Pictochat also has plenty of walls and some ridiculous hazards (which you can avoid if you know the stage, yeah, but the opponent can throw you at them or something).

iRJi

Smash Champion
True, but then there's stuff like DDD's wall infinite being allowed and green greens being legal >_>. Pictochat also has plenty of walls and some ridiculous hazards (which you can avoid if you know the stage, yeah, but the opponent can throw you at them or something).
Pictochat is avoidable. Each transformation is timed.

Green greens on the other hand might be a bad stage selection.

B!squick

Smash Master
Green Greens makes Bowser auto unplayable at this tourny. More so than Bowser being Bowser makes Bowser auto unplayable.

Team attack is on, btw.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Not true at all.

FD is Wario's worst stage, Diddy's best stage, Falco's best stage, Ice Climber's best stage, Snake's second best stage, etc, etc. In fact, FD skews so many matchups that it is probably the 'best stage' for more characters in the cast than any other stage.

Battlefield and Smashville are also counterpicks for Diddy, Falco, and Ice Climbers. Heck, Ice Climbers mains are so reliant on it that they'll often change characters if they have to play on another stage.
First I believe you need to understand why these characters like these stages. Second I also think you need to understand how these characters go about when it comes to CP. With the way we normally strike stages there is no way a Wario main such as myself will be able ot wind up on Final D same with bans unless I totally have a brain or I'm play against MK in which case that stage doesn't have to be banned. Also a projectile users benefit from flat stages because it makes it easier from them to camp so Pit Tlink link all prefer final D. What match ups does FD screw besides wario v d3 ?

Let's get back at hand to the CP abilities of the three characters in question. All of the would prefer final D so that their ground game/ laser game is harder for your opponent to run away from. Note harder for your opponent to run away from. Secondly there isn't one decent IC any that wants to CP SV or BF against anyone especially against snake or MK when all that will help is you'll get plat formed camped. Same goes for falco or Diddy they go for they Settle for SV bF becuase Final D gets banned against them. Care to tell me what match up Falco Diddy or IC wants to take to BF or SV. They don't want to take those characters there it's just the stage that most emulates Final D and allows them to be close to their stage. No Character in the game is at a disadvantage playing of BF or SV.

SV/BF/FD give a lot of characters true advantages

With nine stages, and you given the ability to strike four, you will never end up on a stage that puts you at a serious disadvantage, and never end up with a serious advantage either.

Alright let's play your CP game. I'm d3 I strike LC SV and ps1. What will your next 4 strikes be ? It doesn't matter no matter what stage we go to i'll have the advantage on. Especially if you're a Character I can CG and plzzzzzzzzzzzzz don't say YI because d3 will just camp under the platform.

That's perfectly fine.

Let's take Diddy vs Dedede.

If we have a strike list of three Diddy counterpicks (FD, BF, SV), and three Dedede counterpicks (Delfino, Seige, Halberd), we get game one on Yoshi's, Lylat, or PS1. Diddy will likely strike Lylat, and Dedede probably PS1, which results in Yoshi's as the first game, which is neutral.

If we have a strike list of three Diddy counterpicks and two stages which are neutral in this matchup, like we have now, then game one will be on a Diddy counterpick.

Does this logic not make sense?

No it doesn't make sense at all. Those stages are neutrals it does not give Diddy Kong any added advantage by playing on that stage. There aren't any walk offs walls or harzard. The ceiling isn't really low to allow for d3 utilt to kill at like 100. Also in your scenario why is only one stage being striked at a time? That's not how it's going to work at MLG.

What is 'neutral' changes on a per-matchup basis. By having a variety of stages that favor different characters, the stages will be struck down to what is truly neutral on a match-by-match basis.

If your opponent picked D3, strike it..

You can only strike so many stages and there aren't enough stages to strike for me to be able to play against d3 on a neutral playing field. If I can only strike 3 stages My strikes will have to be Delfinio Final D and Castle Seigie. Thus leaving the d3 player to be able to strike down until the only 2 stages that are left favor him in the match up that being YI and Halberd. Final D may be my worst stage as a Wario main but YI also sucks for Wario then coupled that with being against d3. Yeah that's stupid. Even if we were to flip the stage strikes so that i'd have 4 and d3 had three. D3 first three strikes would be LC, SV, and ps1. Then my four strikes would be the same as the ones I mentioned before but it would include halberd. So I'm still getting CP'd and not playing on a neutral game one thanks MLG for ****ing me and anyone that's gets CG by d3. Also liked to thank the BBR for allowing this to happen you guys have a great grasp on the way these things work. Normally I at least like to go out before I get ****ed. Pikachu can also walk of CG ppl on these stages.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
First of all, I think if you're scared of five stages against Dedede, it's a pretty bad matchup to begin with.

If you played three stages (BF FD SV) you'd probably end up on Smashville. Five stages (BF FD SV YI LC) and you'd end up on either Smashville or Yoshi's Island. Seven stages (BF FD SV YI LC CS PS) brings it to Smashville, Yoshi's Island, or Pokémon Stadium. Nine (BF FD SV YI LC CS PS HL DP) has you going to Smashville, Yoshi's Island, Pokémon Stadium, Halberd, or Delfino Plaza.

I dunno, seems having more starters works out better because at least you have a little more control on what stage you want to be ****ed on rather than being ****ed on Smashville every time.

By the way, I'm pretty sure even Snake players ban FD against Ice Climbers, and nearly everyone who can get CG'd will ban FD before CS or SV against Dedede.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
First of all, I think if you're scared of five stages against Dedede, it's a pretty bad matchup to begin with.

If you played three stages (BF FD SV) you'd probably end up on Smashville. Five stages (BF FD SV YI LC) and you'd end up on either Smashville or Yoshi's Island. Seven stages (BF FD SV YI LC CS PS) brings it to Smashville, Yoshi's Island, or Pokémon Stadium. Nine (BF FD SV YI LC CS PS HL DP) has you going to Smashville, Yoshi's Island, Pokémon Stadium, Halberd, or Delfino Plaza.

I dunno, seems having more starters works out better because at least you have a little more control on what stage you want to be ****ed on rather than being ****ed on Smashville every time.
So going to SV game 1 is bad thing now? I don't get it LoL since when is going to a neutral bad? Being forced to go to halberd delfinio or Castle Seige is a lot worse. But whatever at least there's no wall infinites or chances for people to walked off CG on those stages. Ah man **** that SV putting me at such a disadvantage oh my goodness what am I ever too do =/.

DeDeDe isn't a bad match up to begin with because noramlly you can strike his good stages and start on a neutral one. However, the increased amount of stages that a d3 would CP against you that can now be used against you in game 1 instanly swings the match up in his favor. Why wouldn't you strike Delfinio or SV when there's walk offs and walls on delfinio ?

@Ankokou i like your fate/stay night sig.

Top Bottom