• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TMNT: Smash Up. A fighter by Brawl developers

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Character wishlist:

Slash.
This, and Chrome Dome. Shredder's already in, so I'm one satisfied gamer. (If Slash & Chrome Dome make it, that is.)

"Full sparks! Full sparks! Full sparks! Give out!" [Robotic laugh]

By the way, they showed a trailer at E3 today, but I saw the same video on Youtube a day or two ago. 0_o Unless there's something I don't understand, I was not happy with their demonstration.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
1. April's got some moves.
2. Even if she didn't, she's one of the most well-known characters in the TMNT universe next to the turtles themselves. They would have shoe-horned her in there.

I would have been shocked if they decided not to include her.
I guess all the training with Master Splinter must had paid off. XD

And I really don't think they could have made that trailer any cheesier. I know the TMNT cartoons and movies have always been really light-hearted, which is fine, but ****. That "I fight for what's right" crap really turned me off. I don't care if it turns out to be a non-competitive game, I just don't want it to be kitschy.
The voice actors is from 4Kids, the worst dubbers alive, you should know what to expect. =P

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
The voice actors is from 4Kids, the worst dubbers alive, you should know what to expect. =P
Are they really? What a bummer.

Well, I'm still looking forward to it. If I'm excited for something, I usually stay excited for it until it collapses in my hands.

Zoids-Raven

Smash Apprentice
Viper JLT4GOV said:
7-7
Don't tell me they are gunna say something stupid like "IT'S NINJA TIME!".
It's bad enough that 4kids suck at voicing dubs but now video games.

They want to rule the world.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
This game looks epic so far. There's a lot of haters on that sites shoutouts. >.>

nevershootme

Smash Master
so far i see no projectiles, I say this must be a worthy game to play. less planking!

-they confirmed customizable options (couldn't hear if you are able to turn off stage hazards)
-Brawl skinning and interface
-GC controller usable
-better wifi (they said it)

Tony_

Smash Ace
so far i see no projectiles, I say this must be a worthy game to play. less planking!

-they confirmed customizable options (couldn't hear if you are able to turn off stage hazards)
-Brawl skinning and interface
-GC controller usable
-better wifi (they said it)
Fugitoid might have a projectile. Same with Krang if he is in.

This game looks epic so far. There's a lot of haters on that sites shoutouts. >.>
Just saw a vid. They thought you could play it just like Brawl when it is different. They all assumed it was going to be like brawl. Thats why it got all the hate it got there.

Tony_

Smash Ace
Air combat won't help you much in this game though. Most of the gameplay will be done on ground. I don't think you can combo in the air in this game.

More below in spoiler tags because I dun want the game ruined for any one. Lol @ early analysis.

I just saw some Shredder gameplay. Slow and slugish my ***. He actually looks like he can combo out of one move and he inflicts tremendous damage. He can also wall cling. His run isn't even slow, but he definitely isn't going to do too well against the whole cast.

Donnie looks like he has long *** range, but mediocre damage.

Raph honestly looks like the second best character right now. Might not inflict a lot of damage, but has a ton of combos...

Splinter, eh, I am not sure. We didn't even see feet of fury.

April has lagless attacks. Need I say more?

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Thanks for the Gamespot link. In return, I present you the first TMNT Smash Up gif:

Now can we please get some Smash Up forums here on Smashboards?

Feel free to borrow this image/stick it in your signature/etc. The hype for this game needs to spread to the Smash community here at large.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
This game looks like it definitely needs one. Alright, let's see in September and see if this game shines.... or fails, (I don't count on this failing).

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Day and date have been announced - September 22nd, 2009 (source)

Also, IGN's previewed the game, and spoke of some significant changes from Brawl in it:

"For the most part TMNT Smash-up is blast, as long as you shove away the preconception that it's a full-on Smash Bros. clone. You don't have smash-out attacks, and life bars take the place of percentage-based damage, but there are a lot of similarities. For starters, you've got a basic attack (A button) and heavy attack (B) to make use of. Every direction – we're talking up, down, straight sides, and angles – are all tied to different attacks, with the A attack being quicker jabs and combos and B being larger, slower attacks that yield huge results. You can sprint by double-tapping, attack out of a sprint, dodge/roll, and even block and evade. Blocking too much puts you in a vulnerable state though, so like Smash Bros. it's as much about evasion and positioning as anything else.

As for the turtles themselves, each controls very different, and – like Tournament Fighters – each uses different combos. This also rings true with the other playable characters in the E3 demo, including Shredder (very slow and powerful), Splinter (faster than Shred-head, but a bit weaker), and the agile ninja-like April (fast with decent range). Raph, Leo, Don, and Mike also have their own properties, and with actual combos for each fighter the game is more about learning a few key fighters that you dig and sticking with them. I got the hang of Leonardo after a bit, but when switching over to my favorite turtle in the bunch (Raph) had no idea what I was doing. There's a lot of depth here for players looking to learn the intricacies of each character, and unlike Smash Bros. you can't just grab any random character, check out their B, up-B, and down-B and be pretty much set. Yeah, there's more to Smash Bros. then that, but with TMNT you've got a lot of hidden combos and special attacks similar to something like Tekken or DOA. Oh yeah, and you've also got grabs and dodges for stopping turtle players (the blocking type…not the green dudes) and spammers respectively.

We'll see how the game shapes up from here on out, but thus far it's pretty entertaining. The life meter means you've got more direct combat and less of the whole smash-based, tense "am I alive or dead?" moments, but the game also has a larger emphasis on combo attacks and character memorization. With a nice blend of smooth animations (surprisingly strong) and a decent amount of fan service this one looks to be an obvious choice for TMNT fans, though we're not sure if the Smash crowd will latch on."

So it seems like they're putting less emphasis on accessibility than Brawl did. I sincerely doubt the game will have hadouken-like maneuvers, but I am excited to hear that they're putting more emphasis on stringing attacks together and character nuance. Still, if Brawl's any indication, pre-scripted combos could also get you into a lot of trouble if your opponent DI's out of or evades them.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Who believes that Smashboards should make a section (yes, an entire section) for TMNT: Smash Up?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
of course they suck. The dude playing Splinter SDd like, twice.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace

And yes, yes, yes to letting this game have it's own boards here. Smash is in the game's title, and it's by the Brawl team. There's no good reason not to have a section on these boards.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
If we don't get a section... well, let's just say besides some images, I'm almost done.

Lovely

Smash Lord
if the game has tap jump off, i'm sold.... btw, dont' call them suck just cuz they're using wii remotes and nunchuks...
♣ Kind of feels the same when it came to the Brawl release. I could not stand to play the Wii Mote & Nunchuk and was glad to use Classic Controller. Not only that, they never played the game before or use to it, lol. ♥

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
This one cracks me up. Do I have permission to put this in my sig?
Please do. In fact, I'd encourage all you guys to consider stealing my gifs - maybe then the Smash Bros community here at large will actually know that this game exists, and it could get a subforum.

Tony_

Smash Ace
I like how they kept both kinds of players in mind while making the stages. I really do.

And YES. MAKE US OUR TMNT SMASH-UP SECTION.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
And the stage voting thing seems to be better than our current counterpick system. The game chooses at random and that eliminates all of the pointlessness and keeps every match fairly even. You counterpick a character, the stage is decided for you. Simple.

§leepy God

Smash Master
One thing I'll say, as long as this game is balance, I'll be all over this game, I hate over used characters in all games.

BloodBird

Smash Journeyman
Didn't TMNT already have a fighting game made, possibly for the Sega? I know I've played the rom, other characters were some kind of dinosaur and there was main 1p mode or immediate fight, the game was like steet fighters, wish I knew the name.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
@Crispy: However, it isn't focused on competitiveness, so we still need ours.

Top Bottom