• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ToS Presents: CLASH OF THE TITANS 4 - Philadelphia, PA - Feb 7/8 NATIONAL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Thread is moving so fast, I edited it in but felt I should repost:

That said, your shunning the help of the ECRC beforehand to pander to your own crew and the extra blatantly stupid stages added with only ONE ban on hand put sensible players in precarious positions of pretty much throwing their ban to the wind.
This is actually something I'd like to see addressed in the upcoming new SBR ruleset. Instead of pandering to people like you and Inui, who would sooner ban all but three or four stages tops, I'd like to keep a more liberal stage list but allow multiple stage bans per set; two or three will do, depending on the size of the stage list. This way, the stages are still available to play on for those who want to but people who dislike them can get rid of more.

Yeah...um...most of you aren't going to get it. I consistently place in the money and I care about how high I place. I don't want stages and luck deciding whether I make $50 or $500 at a tournament. Maybe you guys are cool with it, but I'm not.
Simple solution: Get better.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
This is actually something I'd like to see addressed in the upcoming new SBR ruleset. Instead of pandering to people like you and Inui, who would sooner ban all but three or four stages tops, I'd like to keep a more liberal stage list but allow multiple stage bans per set; two or three will do, depending on the size of the stage list. This way, the stages are still available to play on for those who want to but people who dislike them can get rid of more.
I'm an ike main, no ruleset panders to me. Stage striking is the only thing that I've found in a rule set that I've actually thoroughly enjoyed because it doesnt drop me dead *** against a falco on smashville or FD. Beyond that, I capitalized the ONE ban for a reason, I don't really care which extra stages get added so long as people have the option to negate that addition. I didn't mind japes and norfair being added though they blatantly allow chibo to do the only thing his rob is good at, I mind being in the position where I have to ****ing choose to bain rainbow cruise OR japes, not both. When I added pirate ship to my stage list because I don't really really think the stage should be flat out banned if rainbow isn't, I afforded people 2 bans, and I never even counterpicked the stage because contrary to popular belief, not every ike main likes that place.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
lol Norfair isn't even a good ROB stage anyway. I thought it was a good Ike stage, though?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yeah...um...most of you aren't going to get it. I consistently place in the money and I care about how high I place. I don't want stages and luck deciding whether I make $50 or $500 at a tournament. Maybe you guys are cool with it, but I'm not.
No, I get it. Luck is unfortunate... but this game involves some odds ratios you just need to take into account. Peach's Fsmash is random, o noez.... the luck factor from Norfair isn't that severe. Maybe you're winning so much $ because you're attending tourneys where the stages you dislike are banned without valid reason? idk. If I was playing for enough money, I'd certainly want to be allowed to use the stages where my character has a better chance than on FD/BF/SV; even if there's a luck factor (that could go in either of our favours... modulo some character advantages in dealing with it).

*shrug*

this isn't getting anywhere I guess.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
lol Norfair isn't even a good ROB stage anyway
It's a good "plank/camp your balls off" stage, who the **** cares how someone actually plays on it. The pit main in my crew made use of it because it was so ridiculously stupid to have in the first place.

No, I get it. Luck is unfortunate... but this game involves some odds ratios you just need to take into account. Peach's Fsmash is random, o noez.... the luck factor from Norfair isn't that severe. Maybe you're winning so much $ because you're attending tourneys where the stages you dislike are banned without valid reason? idk. If I was playing for enough money, I'd certainly want to be allowed to use the stages where my character has a better chance than on FD/BF/SV; even if there's a luck factor (that could go in either of our favours... modulo some character advantages in dealing with it).

*shrug*

It isn't getting anywhere because your logic is horrendous.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Simple solution: Get better.
oh

my

god

You fucking nobody idiot *******. Why don't you get it?

LUCK. LUCK is not something "getting better" can help you with. I don't want LUCK deciding whether I make $50 or $500 at a tournament. I want SKILL to decide. Not LUCK.

*shrug*

Please give me a valid reason to add more luck to the game of your own volition when there is enough already.

I'm winning a lot of money because I'm good and part an extremely dominant doubles team. It's not because stupid stages that I can also abuse are banned. Why would you say something like that?
Get it now?

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I totally understand that Inui, and I think most of us do too. We are simply arguing your claims of stages being random. By the logic you have used so far, I am of the opinion that only Battlefield and Final D do not alter luck. Klaptraps come at exactly the same time. If one happens to be there at the right time, then so be it. There's always some luck involved.

Similar arguments about the claptraps could be made about the moving platform on smashville as I said. Snake plants a C4 on it and it comes at just the right time to blow the opponent up. Or the platform helped your recovery. Or helper ghost on oshis island. Or how the platform on yoshis island tilts. Maybe MK does a uthrow and the platform tilts at just the right moment to allow for a uthrow kill. Or the tilting in Lylat cruise. bla bla. I do get your point about camping though. And I personally dont like norfair, but they are CPs after all. It mighta been ebtter with 2 stage bans though.

EDIT:

It isn't getting anywhere because your logic is horrendous.
No its not. Infzy is primarily arguing the amount of luck factor Inui is implying. There is luck involved in several other stages AN allowed stages, even neutral ones. There isnt an unreasonable amount of luck in jungle japes, the stage is set. Wasn't Poke floats allowed in melee because the stage transformed in set patterns at the same times? Same logic isnt it?

Mind you, I don't even like norfair or japes particularly, and I personally probably wouldn't allow them because of camping reasons mentioned before. But they ARE cps. The CPs are supposed to give an advantage to someone.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I totally understand that Inui, and I think most of us do too. We are simply arguing your claims of stages being random. By the logic you have used so far, I am of the opinion that only Battlefield and Final D do not alter luck. Klaptraps come at exactly the same time. If one happens to be there at the right time, then so be it. There's always some luck involved.

Similar arguments about the claptraps could be made about the moving platform on smashville as I said. Snake plants a C4 on it and it comes at just the right time to blow the opponent up. Or the platform helped your recovery. Or helper ghost on oshis island. Or how the platform on yoshis island tilts. Maybe MK does a uthrow and the platform tilts at just the right moment to allow for a uthrow kill. Or the tilting in Lylat cruise. bla bla. I do get your point about camping though. And I personally dont like norfair, but they are CPs after all. It mighta been ebtter with 2 stage bans though.
I shall repeat this statement:

Please give me a valid reason to add more luck to the game of your own volition when there is enough already.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Snake plants a C4 on it and it comes at just the right time to blow the opponent up
One is avoidable as it doesn't have a guaranteed setup, the second is being grabbed once and flat out losing your stock for it at the hands of anyone but ice climbers. Snake cant plant your *** under a platform and keep you there until it's time for you to get roofed. Again, your comparison is faulty.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
So yeah, the Bowser Challenge I created was fun. I might take Brawl seriously, not sure though since singles is extremely boring. We'll see.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Because it's an effective counterpick that helps balance the game's characters while only offering a small amount of luck in exchange?

It's just an opinion, about how much luck should be tolerated for making a stage banned. Your opinion is about an arbitrary threshold; Napz' example of Yoshi's Island (Brawl) is legit; that's a choice about how much luck renders the stage unplayable. The majority of the smash community, afaict, deems Norfair to be a reasonable amount of luck; especially once you've learned how to deal with the transitions, and maybe you have a char that is more adept at this task.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
why dont u jus ban jj if u kno your opponent will CP u on dat stage?
Because then I'm wasting my stage ban on something that shouldn't be legal in the first place.

Because it's an effective counterpick that helps balance the game's characters while only offering a small amount of luck in exchange?
Adding a stage with a lot of luck involved that makes MK even better is somehow good for balance? What?

It's just an opinion, about how much luck should be tolerated for making a stage banned. Your opinion is about an arbitrary threshold; Napz' example of Yoshi's Island (Brawl) is legit; that's a choice about how much luck renders the stage unplayable. The majority of the smash community, afaict, deems Norfair to be a reasonable amount of luck; especially once you've learned how to deal with the transitions, and maybe you have a char that is more adept at this task.
Again...Why add more luck to the game when there is enough already? The amount of luck on Yoshi's Island is much smaller than on Norfair.

The rest of the community isn't as good as Atlantic North. This is a fact. Using other regions as examples for us isn't going to matter to us for the most part.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
This thread moves too fast for me, I'm a wall-o'-text kind of person. :(

Ryko: Planking is planking; don't like it, you should probably just find another game. Norfair may exemplify the point but it's not inherently broken because of it. Fair enough, you hate it, but it's nobody's problem but your own. Either ban it, don't attend the tournament, or learn how to play the stage. DON'T go in unprepared, get your butt stomped, then cry about it after the fact.

Inui, you're immensely entertaining. But as a (former) competitive Pokémon player I have to scoff at what you consider "luck." There's no "luck" (read: randomness) in the stages you're crying about. What is "lucky" about getting hit into the lava? You had to have known it was there, it's not like the screen goes from empty to half full of lava in the blink of an eye. Maybe you should just work on not getting hit by your opponent's attack sending you in a trajectory toward whatever lava is present at the time.

I shall repeat this statement:

Please give us valid evidence that Norfair, JJ, or whatever the hell stage you feel like johning about is any more random than any other valid stage. FD and BF are about the only stages in the game that completely lack any element of your so-called "luck," and even FD has gay ledges. What makes those two stages, the ones you specifically called out (Norfair and JJ), so much worse than Rainbow/Lylat Cruise, the Pokemon Stadiums, or heaven forbid Orpheon with its moving platforms and ungrabbable right edge half the time?

Also, what infzy said.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
One is avoidable as it doesn't have a guaranteed setup, the second is being grabbed once and flat out losing your stock for it at the hands of anyone but ice climbers. Snake cant plant your *** under a platform and keep you there until it's time for you to get roofed. Again, your comparison is faulty.
I didn't say it was an exact comparison did I? I was simply comparing the luck factor. Also, its more power to the ICs. Thats why characters CP with stages isn't it? Grabbing with the ICs tends to be 0-deaths anyways. Couldn't they have banned it?(Not necesarilly under chibo's rules, there could be two stage bans). Sonic can do a 40+% guaranteed combo if you hit on smashville using the moving platform(although admittedly harder to set up).

Inui

Banned via Warnings
If Norfair is legal, you're adding more luck to the game when there's enough nonsense already.

Mr. E, quit life. You're obviously stupid if you don't see how Norfair and Jungle Japes have a lot of luck involved. Everyone at this tournament saw it for themselves and nobody disagreed with Atomsk and I. Norfair is luck-based garbage. I don't expect low-level players like you to get it.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Inui, you realize that this argument is going to be all but forgotten right?

Please, I have nothing against you and all, and to be fair I'm not reading much of any posts. But I see you posting a lot on "luck," and there is almost no aspect of melee/brawl that requires 0 luck - Not including techniques, and even then some of those do.

I know, some stages can screw with you and it kind of sucks. But if you're going to complain about a stage then do something about it.
Remember when Luigi's Mansion was legal (if it still is I apologize, I thought it was banned) then Plank decided he disliked the stage? What'd he do? He got it banned, and got something named after him. (And no, I do NOT want to hear your stance on the topic. I am a supporter of playing to win, and nothing will change that. So don't waste your breath if you're against it please <3)
All I'm saying is try to get the stage banned if you dislike it, or better yet just run your own tournament and ban it.

Simple right? :D

Oh, and to be honest I dislike Norfair but I can see why it's legal, but I can see why it should be banned. It's like Brinstar except a little more gay.

DAlegendarysamus

Smash Lord
********s

You Ppl Post **** About The Game Rather Than **** That Happened Today At The Tournament Lol How Ppl Got **** Hard Out Of Their Time And Money.

I Guess Tons Of You ****ing Get Allowance, **** I Dont Have Fun With That ****

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I didn't say it was an exact comparison did I? I was simply comparing the luck factor.
Snake blowing you up with a c4 piece on a moving platform you had a year and a day to avoid is far from luck, you need an exact comparison or at least a reasonable one to make a point, which you didn't do.

You Ppl Post **** About The Game Rather Than **** That Happened Today At The Tournament Lol How Ppl Got **** Hard Out Of Their Time And Money.

I Guess Tons Of You ****ing Get Allowance, **** I Dont Have Fun With That ****
Hey we should go out for a beer some time.

Dreadz18x

Smash Ace
Because then I'm wasting my stage ban on something that shouldn't be legal in the first place.

Adding a stage with a lot of luck involved that makes MK even better is somehow good for balance? What?

Again...Why add more luck to the game when there is enough already? The amount of luck on Yoshi's Island is much smaller than on Norfair.

The rest of the community isn't as good as Atlantic North. This is a fact. Using other regions as examples for us isn't going to matter to us for the most part.
i aint pay attention to whoever u played against or wutever but did u lose on jj or norfair?
if so it wouldnt be wasting a stage ban it would be insurance of no gay a$$ stage bs.

but wutever..

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Inui, you realize that this argument is going to be all but forgotten right?
So?

Please, I have nothing against you and all, and to be fair I'm not reading much of any posts. But I see you posting a lot on "luck," and there is almost no aspect of melee/brawl that requires 0 luck - Not including techniques, and even then some of those do.
Yes.

And?

Why add more for no reason if there's enough already? Having the match 0.0000001% decided by luck is already too much, imo.

I know, some stages can screw with you and it kind of sucks. But if you're going to complain about a stage then do something about it.
Remember when Luigi's Mansion was legal (if it still is I apologize, I thought it was banned) then Plank decided he disliked the stage? What'd he do? He got it banned, and got something named after him. (And no, I do NOT want to hear your stance on the topic. I am a supporter of playing to win, and nothing will change that. So don't waste your breath if you're against it please <3)
All I'm saying is try to get the stage banned if you dislike it, or better yet just run your own tournament and ban it.

Simple right? :D
teh_spamerer got Norfair banned everywhere...but PA. Chibo has it on because he's...Chibo.

I do host my tournaments.

I had ~40 different people come up to me during this tournament and they all said they wished I was running it. I run really good events, mah d00.

I'm complaining a lot because I didn't have a good weekend. Chibo ran a terrible tournament. There were a lot of seeding errors. I wanted 2nd in teams really badly and only got 3rd because of a stage. Atomsk, one of my best friends and my doubles partner, lost to a stage in singles when he had the potential to get top 3. He and I can beat teh_spamerer, unlike everyone else there, LOL!

Mr.E

Smash Lord
To say nothing of Norfair, Japes has absolutely no random elements to it. There is no such thing as "luck" on that stage. I'm sorry you can't handle fighting outside of your comfort zone, tier whoring on neutral stages. I guess you'll just have to win the first match and your own CPs. :rolleyes:

Inui

Banned via Warnings
To say nothing of Norfair, Japes has absolutely no random elements to it. There is no such thing as "luck" on that stage. I'm sorry you can't handle fighting outside of your comfort zone, tier whoring on neutral stages. I guess you'll just have to win the first match and your own CPs. :rolleyes:
It doesn't have to be literally random for it to involve luck.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Despite all his *****ing and moaning and complaining, Inui has a point with the luck, it's the reason we got rid of items after all.

Edit:

Wow.
If you mean something about Luck affecting a game, then maybe.

But I don't agree with Norfair and Jungle Japes really having strong "luck" factors.
Every one of each of the stages hazards are easily avoidable.

Inui, for clarification, it's not "luck" when you are hit into a wall of lava or spiked into a klaptrap.

That's called manipulating the level to gain an advantage. Instead of johning so hard about the lava or water, use both hazards to your advantage as well.

Snake blowing you up with a c4 piece on a moving platform you had a year and a day to avoid is far from luck, you need an exact comparison or at least a reasonable one to make a point, which you didn't do.
A slow moving wall of lava is too easy to avoid. He's only johning about it because he dislikes getting hit into it, something that's entirely his fault. As for Japes, any moron would know not to be near the water, and to ensure that the opponent doesn't force them into that position.

You aren't being beaten by luck if you are attacked or forced into a hazard. You're just being outplayed.

I don't expect low-level players like you to get it.
As I've said, you're a nice guy.
But right now, you're really showing everyone how much of an elitist prick you are.

It's really sad to see someone as "Highly skilled" as you to stoop that low.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Why add more for no reason if there's enough already? Having the match 0.0000001% decided by luck is already too much, imo.
But what's the point in playing then? D:

teh_spamerer got Norfair banned everywhere...but PA. Chibo has it on because he's...Chibo.
I do host my tournaments.

I had ~40 different people come up to me during this tournament and they all said they wished I was running it. I run really good events, mah d00.
Oh, I see. Well, there's not much you can do to chance Chibo's opinion on this tournament's stage list right now anyway. It already happened, no fixing that. One can only hope that in the future he wont include Norfair, I suppose.

I'm complaining a lot because I didn't have a good weekend. Chibo ran a terrible tournament. There were a lot of seeding errors.
I don't wanna **** on Chibo since I know how stressful being a TO can be and he is being honest when he posts about the issue. He clearly felt the need to keep going, despite people chanting against him and all that. He admitted the mistakes he made, and to be honest if we put ourselves in his situation I'm not sure all of us would have done much different.
That said, **** you Chibo you suck at running tournaments. <3

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I've made no claims of luck either way, my point was that snake NOWing you with a blatantly incoming c4 just isn't it. You were better off stating something like the c4 automatically going off in just perfect positioning.

Getting grabbed once and being klaptrapped for it isn't "being outplayed". It's getting frame 2 jabbed into an infinite and losing a stock for it.

He admitted the mistakes he made, and to be honest if we put ourselves in his situation I'm not sure all of us would have done much different.
If nothing else, inui runs pretty **** good, on-time tournaments and outsources for help when it's necessary, so he has more than enough room to talk.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm complaining a lot because I didn't have a good weekend. Chibo ran a terrible tournament. There were a lot of seeding errors.
Fair enough. It was poorly run.

I wanted 2nd in teams really badly and only got 3rd because of a stage. Atomsk, one of my best friends and my doubles partner, lost to a stage in singles when he had the potential to get top 3. He and I can beat teh_spamerer, unlike everyone else there, LOL!
Cry some more.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Inui, for clarification, it's not "luck" when you are hit into a wall of lava or spiked into a klaptrap.

That's called manipulating the level to gain an advantage. Instead of johning so hard about the lava or water, use both hazards to your advantage as well.

A slow moving wall of lava is too easy to avoid. He's only johning about it because he dislikes getting hit into it, something that's entirely his fault. As for Japes, any moron would know not to be near the water, and to ensure that the opponent doesn't force them into that position.

You aren't being beaten by luck if you are attacked or forced into a hazard. You're just being outplayed.
Wow... You guys really just aren't getting it.

The lava walls kept appearing while I was flying in the air. They weren't there yet. There was no skill involved. It was just free damage for the other team. They didn't hit us into them on purpose. They just happened to appear during our hitstun a lot.

That's not "getting outplayed." That's luck.

Why don't you see this?

You weren't there. You didn't see the BS that happened. Everyone at CoT4 did and agrees with me.

As I've said, you're a nice guy.
But right now, you're really showing everyone how much of an elitist prick you are.

It's really sad to see someone as "Highly skilled" as you to stoop that low.
I'm an elitist prick because I am elite, LOL!

Yeah, I'm highly skilled (in teams)...which is why I value skill. Skill >>>>>>>>>> luck. Screw Norfair and every other luck-based stage.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
If nothing else, inui runs pretty **** good, on-time tournaments and outsources for help when it's necessary, so he has more than enough room to talk.
I'm just saying put yourself in that situation, not Inui or other experienced tournament hosts. Chibo doesn't run that many tournaments does he?

Inui no offense but you're kind of giving elite/highly skilled players a bad name.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Wow... You guys really just aren't getting it.

The lava walls kept appearing while I was flying in the air. They weren't there yet. There was no skill involved. It was just free damage for the other team. They didn't hit us into them on purpose. They just happened to appear during our hitstun a lot.

That's not "getting outplayed." That's luck.
Don't get hit. No johns.

Seriously, you were hit because they outplayed you, and that resulted in you flying straight into the hazards.

Initially, if you didn't get hit so much, and played better, you wouldn't have recieved so much damage.

Regardless of whether or not they were there when you were sent into them, you're playing on Norfair. You know what the level is capable of, so you should've expected something like that to happen, and try to avoid being pushed into a bad spot like you were.

And I'm pretty sure the reason the other team picked Norfair was because they were expecting you to get ***** by the levels. Particularly since you never play on them.

I'm an elitist prick because I am elite, LOL!

Yeah, I'm highly skilled (in teams)...which is why I value skill. Skill >>>>>>>>>> luck. Screw Norfair and every other luck-based stage.
I really, REALLY hope no one else in the Atlantic North has this attitude. I love skill just as much as any other person, if not more, but the way you go about preaching it is obnoxious.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I'm just saying put yourself in that situation, not Inui or other experienced tournament hosts. Chibo doesn't run that many tournaments does he?

Inui no offense but you're kind of giving elite/highly skilled players a bad name.
Chibo hosts a lot...and messes up every time.

I'm only representing myself. I admit to being an elitist douchebag. Most players are far more humble and laid back than I am.

Don't get hit. No johns.

Seriously, you were hit because they outplayed you, and that resulted in you flying straight into the hazards.

Initially, if you didn't get hit so much, and played better, you wouldn't have recieved so much damage.

Regardless of whether or not they were there when you were sent into them, you're playing on Norfair. You know what the level is capable of, so you should've expected something like that to happen, and try to avoid being pushed into a bad spot like you were.

And I'm pretty sure the reason the other team picked Norfair was because they were expecting you to get ***** by the levels.
Random additional damage after that initial hit = LUCK. That kept happening over and over to us, and all that bad luck made us get *****.

You're an idiot, mah d00.

That stage decided who got 2nd, not the players.

Ask anyone at CoT4 that watched that set. EVERYONE that I spoke to about it agreed that Norfair needs to be universally banned.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
There absolutely was not a SLOW rumble as the lava SLOWLY inches barely into sight as it prepares to SLOWLY move toward the center of the stage. Indeed, I am led to believe that the lava was out to get Inui and just magically appeared in front of him every time he was knocked off the sides somewhere, the ******* stage!

"Bassturd" is a filtered word? Odd.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I've made no claims of luck either way, my point was that snake NOWing you with a blatantly incoming c4 just isn't it. You were better off stating something like the c4 automatically going off in just perfect positioning.
I suppose you are right about that, but could you not say the same thing if the ICs were paying attention to the clock for when the clap traps would appear and released at just the right time?

Also, the situation I was presenting was if snake gets a grab just when the platform was coming by. The platform comes at the right time for snake to get a grab setup. I think thats luck*shrugs*

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
There absolutely was not a SLOW rumble as the lava SLOWLY inches barely into sight as it prepares to SLOWLY move toward the center of the stage. Indeed, I am led to believe that the lava was out to get Inui and just magically appeared in front of him every time he was knocked off the sides somewhere, the ******* stage!

"Bassturd" is a filtered word? Odd.
Actually before anything happens with the lava walls, the camera pulls back a little to expose more of the side of the screen the wall will soon be coming from. There's alot of warning for them in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom