• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tutorial: Editing Vertices! ~Gallery Updated (2/8/10)~

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
I guess the add-on to that fad never became popular enough. Don't forget the "AND I KNOW HOW TO ROLL!" at the end of CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR THE COOL.
D:
But guys, what about the injection method I stated? Would it work, or am I thinking too big?

Also... steps 13 and on were just too... CONFOOSING. Sorry, STUFF2o, your going to have to wait for Shroob Peach. :(

pokelover980

Smash Ace
way off lol

839 to be exact. O.O

Also, Pokelover980, that would be a secret. ;)
If you're doing a vertex point with 893 then something happened somewhere. Try using the tool created by... um, I forget who it was, but it was posted a few pages back and it creates a new verttemp.obj with the correct number of lines for you. Then just follow the steps from there, I don't really know what happened to get you a file that small O.O

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
EDIT:

nevermind

for step 8 you have to paste while selecting the "digit" right after our vertex number in hex

D

Deleted member

-deleted message-

Last edited by a moderator:

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
anim8tor has a difficult GUI. i'll probably just do all my editing in 3ds and export it back in. I was, however, able to edit toon link's sword into a machete shape with the software fine

kenji31

Smash Rookie
Editing WaddleDee

Let me ask you a question, please.
I've tried to Edit the vertex of WaddleDee, in FitDededeMotionEtc.pac
However I can't see and Edit the vertex for some reasons...:(
The points of vertices is 233, so I think the TotalLen MUST be more than 2796.
Yet, actually, it is 1472... almost half of 233*12... Why does it happen:confused:
How can I Edit it? Please help me... :(

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
D'oh, I'm so stupid. I worded that incorrectly. >.<

You need to use both pcs and pac. I'm not sure what is wrong then. :/ Sorry if I'm of no help.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Let me ask you a question, please.
I've tried to Edit the vertex of WaddleDee, in FitDededeMotionEtc.pac
However I can't see and Edit the vertex for some reasons...:(
The points of vertices is 233, so I think the TotalLen MUST be more than 2796.
Yet, actually, it is 1472... almost half of 233*12... Why does it happen:confused:
How can I Edit it? Please help me... :(
Wait, what? Why are you using the TotalLen for anything and why are you multiplying anything times 12? Read the tutorial in the first post, it tells you how to edit >.>;

D

Deleted member

-deleted message-

D

Deleted member

-deleted message-

kenji31

Smash Rookie
Wait, what? Why are you using the TotalLen for anything and why are you multiplying anything times 12? Read the tutorial in the first post, it tells you how to edit >.>;
Oh, sorry. I can't explain well.
I tried according to the tutrial, but I couldn't succeed...
It has 233 vertices, so I wrote 233 lines of v 2 3 0.50000, and it was 3.50KB, and I export WpnDededeWaddleDee_BodyM__WpnDededeWaddleDee_Body as test.bin but it was 1.43KB.
Isn't it too small? Then I ran 1234 to 4321.exe and open out.bin in Hex editor. And I followed the steps as the tutrial shows. But I failed.
Did I do something wrong?

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Oh, sorry. I can't explain well.
I tried according to the tutrial, but I couldn't succeed...
It has 233 vertices, so I wrote 233 lines of v 2 3 0.50000, and it was 3.50KB, and I export WpnDededeWaddleDee_BodyM__WpnDededeWaddleDee_Body as test.bin but it was 1.43KB.
Isn't it too small? Then I ran 1234 to 4321.exe and open out.bin in Hex editor. And I followed the steps as the tutrial shows. But I failed.
Did I do something wrong?
Oh. Certain models don't work, at least, they don't work for me. I'll try editing it later to see if I come up with the same results.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
I don't understand why toon link's "body" model verticies look much different in brawlbox than while editing. I can't find the tip of his hood, and his body doesn't look anything like the shape of pants and whatnot...

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
@Akuri Un that's amazing nice work

what 3d program did you use

doe sit have to be anim8or, would blender work for this?

so now that we are able to do this somebody needs to get up off their *** and make a model editing ASH. lol

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Poxag, please have a bit more respect for our coders. It's hardly a matter of just "getting up off their *****."

Akari_Un

Smash Apprentice
@Akuri Un that's amazing nice work
what 3d program did you use
doe sit have to be anim8or, would blender work for this?
so now that we are able to do this somebody needs to get up off their *** and make a model editing ASH. lol
I use
3DS Max, on the page 5 or 6 made with me Is A little tutorial that explain how to use 3ds max on vertex editing, actually I'm writting a complete and detailed guide of this

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
Poxag, please have a bit more respect for our coders. It's hardly a matter of just "getting up off their *****."
yikes! I was just kidding lol, I've been texture hacking since way back when syntax error was still alive, obviously I appreciate everything the coders do none of this would be possible if it werent for them.

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
I don't understand why toon link's "body" model verticies look much different in brawlbox than while editing. I can't find the tip of his hood, and his body doesn't look anything like the shape of pants and whatnot...
Lol, I tried modifying that, too, and I thought I had screwed up to the point that all the points were random dots! XD Good to know I might have done it correctly. But it doesn't really help though, because I moved some random points around to test it and the .mdl0 got corrupted...

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
yeah it happened to me when I tried to edit (move/rotate) some of the random mess of verticies (to figure out where the heck they matched to), and it would say it's corrupted. editing only the closest to the tip points on the hood (moving them up) did work though, just doesn't edit the actual tip of the hood...

Tsuyoshio

Smash Journeyman
Epic Sword u should edit links body and stuff make him ur own ya kno wut im sayin

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
o_o Wow. Anim8or is so primative...its kinda terrible.

I guess I'll have to head over to the animation labs later today and see if I can get this to work on their 3ds machines.
-DD

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
Random thing:

While I was revamping one of my textures, I decided to customize his sword. I realized that toon link's sword is already detailed and modeled specifically to his sword's hilt, which I wanted to change to something completely different.

So, i tediously went about, experimented and guessed a lot and eventually came up with a hilt to his sword which has every closed vertex comprising up a (albeit poorly shaped) sphere, while every open vertex is put very very closely to it's appropriate matching other open vertex.

This sphere of verticies allows you to shape his hilt into easier shapes without having polygons going through each other where they shouldn't.

it looks like this:

but can essentially then be edited into any shape:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yknm5mnydbd

NOTES:

-The texture mapping for this sphere will probably not match up as well as it did before I edited it, but singular colors and gradients still look fine

-a few verticies at the top of the sword hilt (along the center of the hilt) are the open verticies. these points do not connect to anything, and if moved apart, will show inside the model.

-the sword hilt is normally made of two intersecting groups of polygons, the main one and the extending sides of the hilt. I shrunk all of the points of the sides group to a single small area in the center of the sphere, as to not interfere with the other shape.

-the back of the hilt (where it's held): i simplified that area (sorry :ohwell:)

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
I use
3DS Max, on the page 5 or 6 made with me Is A little tutorial that explain how to use 3ds max on vertex editing, actually I'm writting a complete and detailed guide of this
If you'd like, i can update the OP with your guide when it's ready

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
So, I've made another skin with edited vertices. I have found a way to make things easier to re-shape in 3DS Max which I'll be explaining later, but until then...

I've made Peach resemble Woolen, from Puzzle Bobble 2, Puzzle Bobble 4, Super Puzzle Bobble and Puzzle Bobble Mobilemania. Basically, every other Puzzle Bobble game.

I just have to fix up the eyes (it's slightly visible in the first image, but there's a problem with the whites of her eyes that I'm trying to fix). I can't shorten Peach's hair, unfortunately, as it'll bugger up how it animates severly. (I tried, believe me on that.)

The Ice Climbers skin in the second image (Drunk/Dranko) isn't quite done yet, either, as I still have to fix the sleeves, re-shape Drunk's (Popo's) staff, and modify the UV mappings for Dranko's (Nana's) staff. That, and make the textures less simplistic. Then I'll be releasing both of them.

...and Akari_Un's Link looks pretty nifty. I'll be using it. :3

Poxag

Smash Apprentice
wow thats good work, in the hands of a good modeler we'll be able to do some amazing stuff now, I'm gonna try this now, I'll post something by the end of this weekend

owned645

Smash Cadet
can someone make a video tut so i can understand this better? it would be very much appreciated

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
Looks nice but i havesome question
1.i would copy the v 2 3 0.50000 for as many times as there is vertices?
2. Also i remeber reading that ness causes problems is that still the case?
3.Does this work with blender?

Top Bottom