• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCF Brawl in Orlando (Central Florida) + CFL PR Thread

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I'll have to google map this. So, Give me sources to the tourney.

-Fee
-etc
-NO MK

That bold text was just a joke.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
So, I was looking at the birthday tourney for DJ Jack/Mampam/anyone else with a birthday in October, and I was kinda curious. It has a $10 entry, with a $5 door fee, and many people from Orlando are hyped to go and enter, AND YET some of these same people don’t or won’t enter NLL tourneys, which are in their same city, because it costs $15 for singles. I know this is complete BS, but I’ve never found an effective way to portray it to others for them to also realize how dumb that logic is. So instead I’ve decided to just do the math for the people this applies to

On one hand we have a tourney with a $15 entry, no door fee, but pot **** of 30%. On the other hand we have a tourney with $10 entry and $5 door. Lets do the math, shall we?

In the $10 tourney, obviously the entire $10 goes into the pot, making it $10/person (duh) In the $15 tourney, we first remove the pot **** (which is 30%). So 15 times 70% = $10.50/person

Oh, whats that? Yea, that’s right. Each person in the 2 nd scenario puts $10.50 into the pot, instead of $10. They are BOTH paying $15 total to enter singles, so the actual payment amount is the same. But in the 2 nd scenario, again, there is more money into the pot. Obviously this works no matter how many people enter, as are some examples:

20 people enter at $10 = $200 pot 20 people enter at $15 = $300 pot minus 30% pot **** = 300 * (0.70) = $210 pot

So the excuse of people wanting to enter a $10 dollar tourney w/ $5 door fee instead of straight $15 with no door fee is mathematically impractical, as theres more money in the total pot for all players (albeit not much more, but still more. The important thing to note that it isn’t less, which is what is naturally assumed)

But then some of you may say “well, some door fee tourneys give a discount for bringing a full setup, like $3 instead of $5, or in some cases no door fee”

In this aspect, for those who brought the setups, they will save the $2-$5 dollars of a door fee. But I’ll show you that the impact to the pot isn’t as great as assumed either. Although the smaller the tourney, the bigger the actual impact (any regional/national completely makes up for it, so if they did this it wouldn’t matter due to the sheer ridiculous ratio of attendance to setups that are present)

I can safely say that most tourneys, there are enough smash setups to equal about 1/4 th or less of the number of entrants (most mono-regional tourneys have around 4-6 setups for 16-24 entrants). So I’ll take a 24 entrant tourney with 6 tourney setups (since those are the only discounted ones. Friendlies setups aren’t discounted, along with setups for other games, or any setups the TO themselves brought)

In the first tourney, simple, 24 entrants at $10 make $240 into the total pot. In the second tourney, its alittle more complicated. Lets say that 6 people brought a setup and got a discount for $3 total instead of $5. So 18 people pay $15, and the other 6 pay $13. That totals to $348 total for the pot. Minus the 30% ****, and you get to $243.6. STILL HIGHER THAN THE ORIGINAL POT FOR AN AVERAGE MONO-REGIONAL.

For a tourney with a discounted $3 door fee, the ratio of people paying full price and those with setups has to be around 3:1 (example of 18 full to 6 discounted) for a normal for a tourney. Obviously there will be tourneys with more and less than this, but that’s the average.

Its when the tourney takes away the entire $5 door fee, that you must have a high ratio to compensate. then there would have to be a ratio of 6:1 (example of 36 full to 6 discounted) in order to be an equal pot. This wouldn’t be an issue in most regional/national tourneys, just those local ones that may have a lower ratio.

tl:dr version: If a tourney has a $10 entry with $5 door fee, it actually has a LOWER pot for the players than a $15 dollar entry tourney with 30% pot **** (the amount would be even larger if the house cut was smaller)

If a tourney has $10 entry with $5 door fee, but you get it discounted to $3 if you bring a setup, the pot remains the same/larger with the $15 entry as long as the ratio to those with and without setups is 3:1 (which is the average for florida mono-regional tourneys). All it does is saves a few people $2

If a tourney has $10 entry with $5 door fee, but you get it discounted to $0 if you bring a setup, the pot remains the same as long as the ratio to those with and without setups is 6:1

There should be no more complaining about any $15 entry tourney with no door fee ever again (be it brawl or street fighter, local or regional/national, videogame or board game), compared to a $10 with $5 door fee. You can, however, continue to complain that $10 with $5 entry is too much money, but that’s the standard for competitive videogame tournaments, not just brawl, so I don’t care to argue over that point.

:phone:

Exdeath

Smash Master
No offense GDX, by your post neither addresses the people like me who want to enter doubles and don't care about singles, nor does it address the main reason that people are hyped for the Birthday Bash: Attendance. I don't think that anyone is hyped about the tournament because of the pay outs or the door/entrance fees.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I'm only referring to singles because that's where I hear the most complaints from fellow cflians in the past. I've never heard dubs complaints

And also I'm not hating on his tourney in particular. I could've picked an older zp or any other tourney with 10 entry and 5 door fee. The birthday tourney is just the closest one by date

:phone:

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
I don't like paying the 15, i'll say it.

But i also don't like paying 10$ for singles. lol.
I prefer a 5 door, 5 singles and 5 doubles.

Especially when i can get door fee waved because of a setup.
I'm especially broke, the main reason i'm going to Danny's is because i promised him i would, it's his bday and i never really tourney anymore.

pesticide

Smash Lord
randomly decided to read thru the earlier pages of this thread. actually pretty cool to see how the CFL community got its start considering i didnt get into it until last december

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Well, It looks like I might go for a job at Taco Bell near UFC. So if I ever get hired, meet me there and I'll buy you free tacos in 3 weeks.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
so anyone else down to go to EXPcon next month? I'm going up there for Saturday Only, to enter the brawl tourneys along with AE. They'll have singles and doubles.

If anyone wants to join me, it'll be $10 for gas. Game-room only badge is 25 (or 35 for the entire convention). The actual tourneys themselves are 10/each. I'm going Saturday only though, but I'm definitely down to leave mad early in the morning so people can experience more of the con if they want

so, anyone else down?

Top Bottom